Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 04:08 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 04:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [2]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [2]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Send PM
Re: Accepted MBA Updates [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What Does Harvard Business School Want?
Wondering what applicants who were accepted to Harvard Business School have in common?

For more resources to help you get into HBS, check out:

• Harvard Business School 2014 MBA Essay Questions & Tips

• HBS Post-Interview Reflections, a video

• The Accepted Guide to Getting into Harvard Business School, a free webinar

• What HBS is Looking for: Engaged Community Citizenship

• What HBS is Looking for: The Habit of Leadership

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: Harvard Business School, leadership, MBA Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Should You Take the GMAT or GRE?

Many b-schools now accept the GRE (including Stanford, HBS, Wharton, Booth, and MIT Sloan, among others), so MBA applicants will need to decide whether the GMAT or GRE will better increase their chances of acceptance. Here are some factors you should consider when making this decision:

1. GMAT: Take the GMAT if at least one of the b-schools you’re applying to doesn’t accept the GRE.

2.  GMAT: If you plan on a post-MBA career in investment banking or management consulting, then you should take the GMAT since such recruiters sometimes use GMAT scores as a screening tool.

3. GMAT: If the wording on the school’s website indicates that the GRE is accepted but clearly a lower-class citizen, than take the GMAT. We’re seeing this less frequently.

4. GRE: If you’re fresh out of college and aren’t sure exactly what to do next, but feel prepared to take the GRE, then you may as well go ahead and take it – the scores remain usable for up to five years. Maybe you’ll use your scores for a future b-school application, or maybe for some other grad program.

5. GRE: If you score higher on practice GRE tests than on practice GMAT tests AND if your target schools accept the GRE, then you should definitely take the GRE.

6. GMAT: The same is true (as #4) if you score higher on the GMAT – in short, take whichever test you score higher on!

7. GRE: If you want to save money (about $100) and/or will have trouble getting to a GMAT testing center, then you should take the GRE (obviously provided that your target schools accept the GRE). The GRE is cheaper and there are more testing centers throughout the world.

For top GMAT advice, please check out the following FREE Accepted.com resources:

•  Top 5 GMAT Test-Taking Strategies

•  3 Tips to Reduce GMAT Test Anxiety

•  The GMAT in MBA Admissions: Fact and Fiction

•  Should You Retake the GMAT?

Tags: GMAT, GRE, MBA Admissions

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: When to Give Up Your Acceptance in Hopes for “Greener” Pastures

Don’t look for greener pastures when you’re most likely in the pasture that’s optimized for your individual growth.

Scenario: You get accepted to an excellent MBA program. You’re happy…but…you can’t help thinking that maybe you could’ve done “better.” Should you turn down your acceptance (whether it’s an early decision acceptance or regular) in hopes that the school that waitlisted you ends up accepting you, or in hopes that a school that rejected you this year accepts you next year?

Here are two reasons why I think you should probably count your lucky stars and say “yes” (enthusiastically) to the program that accepted you:

1. As I’m sure you noticed, I put “greener” and “better” in quote marks above. You need to think about whether your alternate options are truly better for you than the amazing school that accepted you. Maybe HBS is a better school than, say, Yale SOM, according to most ranking reports, but that doesn’t mean it’s the best program for you. And in fact, if you’re thinking about heading into non-profit management, it may not be better than Yale. If the accepting top school supports your goals and provides an educational environment that suits you (and you shouldn’t have applied if it didn’t), then a bird in hand is worth two in the bush. Don’t look for greener pastures when you’re most likely in the pasture that’s optimized for your individual growth.

2. Acceptance at one elite school does not at all imply that you’ll get accepted at another elite school. Acceptance decisions are independent events – Wharton doesn’t consult with Booth, which in turn couldn’t care less that you were accepted to Stanford. Be happy about the outstanding school that accepted you and attend!

Legitimate Reasons for Deferring or Rejecting an Admissions Offer:

There are some situations in which I’d recommend deferring or rejecting an admissions offer and reapplying next year:

1. Personal circumstances unrelated to education, like an illness in the family. (You may want to defer or reject your offer, depending on the circumstances.)

2. A geographical/relationship issue, like your significant other got into a one-year program across the country from the program that accepted you, and you don’t want to be apart for a year. (You should try to defer for a year in this case, obviously, and not reject the acceptance, if you plan on then pursuing your educational goals next year.)

3. Your post-MBA goals have changed since you applied, and the school that accepted you is no longer the best school for you. (This doesn’t happen very often.)

Some of you may be thinking, “Can I ask for a deferral?” Schools are reluctant to give a deferral. It binds them, and doesn’t bind the applicants. Furthermore many applicants requesting the deferral use the additional year to reapply at other programs. This bit of shopping around and gamesmanship has given deferrals a bad name in admissions offices. And they frequently don’t want to play.

Here’s a tip if you want to defer and are serious about attending the accepting school a year later: Offer to put down a large deposit that will be applied to your tuition when you matriculate and lost if you don’t matriculate.

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Waitlist

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Applicant Blogger Interview with Sarah

We’d like to introduce you to Sarah, an Irish b-school applicant (now living in London) applying to top b-schools in the U.S. and Europe. Sarah offers loads of advice on taking the GMAT, analyzing one’s b-school profile, and dealing with dyslexia here in our interview and on her blog, sarah’s mba journey. Thank you Sarah for sharing your story with us – we look forward to hearing great things from you!

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What’s your favorite movie?

Sarah: I’m originally from Scotland and now live in London working for the public sector. I studied at Dundee University for my undergrad and York for my Masters. My favourite movie is Inception.

Accepted: What is your current job? Do you plan on continuing in this industry after you receive your MBA or switching to something new?

Sarah: I currently work in the UK public sector and lead research projects on public policy. I’m hoping that an MBA will allow me to move from research to a more active general management role within the same sector.

Accepted: Where do you plan on applying to b-school?

Sarah: I have a three strand MBA strategy application just in case I don’t succeed in first strand. first strand was applying to Harvard and Duke in America. Second strand is applying for one or two European business schools, while the third strand is applying for a part time MBA in the UK. I haven’t finalised the schools for prong two and three, that’s my next task.

Accepted: You’ve already submitted applications to HBS and Duke — how did it go? Which application essay approach did you prefer? Why?

Sarah: I’m really pleased I was able to submit both my Duke and Harvard application on time as they were due the same day. I really liked the Harvard essay as it really allowed me to put across my best case, though having such an open ended question was really daunting at first. But the admissions director on his blog post on the 10th September 2013 gives some good advice; go with your gut.

Accepted: What would you say has been the most challenging aspect of the application process so far, and how did you work (or are you working) to overcome those challenges?

Sarah: Out of the whole application process, it was the GMAT I found most challenging for a couple of reasons. The main reasons is that this is the first time ever I’ve sat a standardised test and it’s a very different test format from what I’m use to. Secondly as someone who needs accommodations as I’m dyslexic, not sitting a similar test before puts me at a real disadvantage in being able to identify what accommodations are the right. Thirdly what I still find real difficult as my brain doesn’t think in the GMAT way and I’ve really struggled to get my good quantitative ability to be reflected in the GMAT score. So I’ve really struggled with my GMAT score and to be honest probably not really overcome the challenges.

Accepted: How many times did you take your GMAT? Can you share a few GMAT tips with us?

Sarah: I’ve sat the GMAT three times so far (I suspect I might need to take it a fourth time). I have no tips for the 700 plus crowd but I do have a couple of tips for those new to standardised testing.

1. Take the time to find out how the test works and the main three/four strategies needed to answer the different questions. This will be very beneficial later on when you are taking practice tests and trying to improve your score.

2. Work on the basics – adding, multiplication and handling percentages – until you can do these operations quickly and accurately. You don’t need to pay for expensive GMAT courses for the basics; get material suitable for young children it’s cheaper! There are also a couple of really good apps for your mobile phone that can help as well.

3. Figure out how you learn. Be honest with yourself. I would have saved a lot of time by ditching the books sooner and going onto an online GMAT course quicker as I’m an audio visual learner I don’t learn through just reading text books. Once you know how you learn find a GMAT course that suits.

4. Before you spend money on text books, do your research as not all GMAT text books are created equal and check out the second hand market to get them cheaper.

Accepted: Can you talk about your Fulbright experience?

Sarah: I submitted an application to Fulbright in November and will hear if I progress to an interview this month. The Fulbright process meant I had to identify early each schools I would apply for and why. It also forced me to think about why business school and put that down in a succinct way.

Sarah sent us an update here: I got an update on my Fulbright application yesterday. I haven’t progressed to the interview stage. Disappointed but I also know I put my best case forwards.

Accepted: I see on your blog you offer a nice, organized approach to analyzing your profile. Can you explain the steps you took and offer suggestions for our readers on how to break down the elements of their application profiles?

Sarah: For my post on the strength of my profile I considered the following elements: academics, GMAT, work, and community involvement, each on a five point scale from Excellent to Weak. Here are a couple of suggestions to help your readers come up with their own assessment.

1. On the academic side consider your country or universities scoring system. How do you compare? Did you go to a top university in your country, a good one, or your local one? Then use those to form a judgment. In the UK context I assumed a 1st from Oxbridge would be ranked Excellent. For the GMAT I considered the GMAT average and then the score ranges for the schools I applied to and then how I compared. I would say rank 700+ as excellent and go from there.

2. For the work criteria it really comes down to your knowledge of your industry and firm. I work for a fairly flat organisation and I don’t get bonuses so I have to measure success in other ways. So be honest with yourself, how good is your CV? Are head hunters knocking down your door?

3. Community involvement is tough; it is not how much you do, but your impact as well. I think the simple stuff can count as well like being involved in your church or sports club.

Accepted: Can you tell us more about your blog? Who is your target audience? What have you gained from the experience?

Sarah: My blog is about my MBA experience from applying to completing one. At first the blog was mainly a place where I could tell my story. Over time the remit has expanded a little to include my thoughts on the wider challenges I face in the work environment in relation to stress and dyslexia.

One aspect of the blogging experience I have really appreciated is the readers’ comments. I can safely say my applications to business school are better due to the comments that have been made on my blog.

My audience is anyone wanting to study for an MBA but I also hope there is some useful advice to those that are under pressure at work or have dyslexia and work in high performing organisations.

Do you want to be featured in Accepted.com’s blog, Accepted Admissions Blog? If you want to share your MBA/EMBA journey with the world (or at least with our readers), email us at mbabloggers@accepted.com.

Tags: MBA Admissions, mba applicant blogger

Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Tackling the GMAT: A B-School Applicant’s Tireless Journey

We’d like to introduce you to Sarah, an Irish b-school applicant (now living in London) applying to top b-schools in the U.S. and Europe. Sarah offers loads of advice on taking the GMAT, analyzing one’s b-school profile, and dealing with dyslexia here in our interview and on her blog, sarah’s mba journey. Thank you Sarah for sharing your story with us – we look forward to hearing great things from you!

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What’s your favorite movie?

Sarah: I’m originally from Scotland and now live in London working for the public sector. I studied at Dundee University for my undergrad and York for my Masters. My favourite movie is Inception.

Accepted: What is your current job? Do you plan on continuing in this industry after you receive your MBA or switching to something new?

Sarah: I currently work in the UK public sector and lead research projects on public policy. I’m hoping that an MBA will allow me to move from research to a more active general management role within the same sector.

Accepted: Where do you plan on applying to b-school?

Sarah: I have a three strand MBA strategy application just in case I don’t succeed in first strand. first strand was applying to Harvard and Duke in America. Second strand is applying for one or two European business schools, while the third strand is applying for a part time MBA in the UK. I haven’t finalised the schools for prong two and three, that’s my next task.

Accepted: You’ve already submitted applications to HBS and Duke — how did it go? Which application essay approach did you prefer? Why?

Sarah: I’m really pleased I was able to submit both my Duke and Harvard application on time as they were due the same day. I really liked the Harvard essay as it really allowed me to put across my best case, though having such an open ended question was really daunting at first. But the admissions director on his blog post on the 10th September 2013 gives some good advice; go with your gut.

Accepted: What would you say has been the most challenging aspect of the application process so far, and how did you work (or are you working) to overcome those challenges?

Sarah: Out of the whole application process, it was the GMAT I found most challenging for a couple of reasons. The main reasons is that this is the first time ever I’ve sat a standardised test and it’s a very different test format from what I’m use to. Secondly as someone who needs accommodations as I’m dyslexic, not sitting a similar test before puts me at a real disadvantage in being able to identify what accommodations are the right. Thirdly what I still find real difficult as my brain doesn’t think in the GMAT way and I’ve really struggled to get my good quantitative ability to be reflected in the GMAT score. So I’ve really struggled with my GMAT score and to be honest probably not really overcome the challenges.

Accepted: How many times did you take your GMAT? Can you share a few GMAT tips with us?

Sarah: I’ve sat the GMAT three times so far (I suspect I might need to take it a fourth time). I have no tips for the 700 plus crowd but I do have a couple of tips for those new to standardised testing.

1. Take the time to find out how the test works and the main three/four strategies needed to answer the different questions. This will be very beneficial later on when you are taking practice tests and trying to improve your score.

2. Work on the basics – adding, multiplication and handling percentages – until you can do these operations quickly and accurately. You don’t need to pay for expensive GMAT courses for the basics; get material suitable for young children it’s cheaper! There are also a couple of really good apps for your mobile phone that can help as well.

3. Figure out how you learn. Be honest with yourself. I would have saved a lot of time by ditching the books sooner and going onto an online GMAT course quicker as I’m an audio visual learner I don’t learn through just reading text books. Once you know how you learn find a GMAT course that suits.

4. Before you spend money on text books, do your research as not all GMAT text books are created equal and check out the second hand market to get them cheaper.

Accepted: Can you talk about your Fulbright experience?

Sarah: I submitted an application to Fulbright in November and will hear if I progress to an interview this month. The Fulbright process meant I had to identify early each schools I would apply for and why. It also forced me to think about why business school and put that down in a succinct way.

Sarah sent us an update here: I got an update on my Fulbright application yesterday. I haven’t progressed to the interview stage. Disappointed but I also know I put my best case forwards.

Accepted: I see on your blog you offer a nice, organized approach to analyzing your profile. Can you explain the steps you took and offer suggestions for our readers on how to break down the elements of their application profiles?

Sarah: For my post on the strength of my profile I considered the following elements: academics, GMAT, work, and community involvement, each on a five point scale from Excellent to Weak. Here are a couple of suggestions to help your readers come up with their own assessment.

1. On the academic side consider your country or universities scoring system. How do you compare? Did you go to a top university in your country, a good one, or your local one? Then use those to form a judgment. In the UK context I assumed a 1st from Oxbridge would be ranked Excellent. For the GMAT I considered the GMAT average and then the score ranges for the schools I applied to and then how I compared. I would say rank 700+ as excellent and go from there.

2. For the work criteria it really comes down to your knowledge of your industry and firm. I work for a fairly flat organisation and I don’t get bonuses so I have to measure success in other ways. So be honest with yourself, how good is your CV? Are head hunters knocking down your door?

3. Community involvement is tough; it is not how much you do, but your impact as well. I think the simple stuff can count as well like being involved in your church or sports club.

Accepted: Can you tell us more about your blog? Who is your target audience? What have you gained from the experience?

Sarah: My blog is about my MBA experience from applying to completing one. At first the blog was mainly a place where I could tell my story. Over time the remit has expanded a little to include my thoughts on the wider challenges I face in the work environment in relation to stress and dyslexia.

One aspect of the blogging experience I have really appreciated is the readers’ comments. I can safely say my applications to business school are better due to the comments that have been made on my blog.

My audience is anyone wanting to study for an MBA but I also hope there is some useful advice to those that are under pressure at work or have dyslexia and work in high performing organisations.

Do you want to be featured in Accepted.com’s blog, Accepted Admissions Blog? If you want to share your MBA/EMBA journey with the world (or at least with our readers), email us at mbabloggers@accepted.com.

Tags: MBA Admissions, mba applicant blogger

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Goal Setting as an Entrepreneur

I always ask my clients to state their long and short-term goals for me on our first meeting.  Eighty percent of the time I hear the response, “I want to be an entrepreneur.”  So I begin to peel away at the onion.

• What problem is your business going to solve?

•  Why is it different than a solution that exists today?

• Is there a market for the goods or services you plan to sell?

•  How big is that market?

•  Who is your competition?

•  Can you patent your solution?

•  What will your margins be?

•  How will you finance this business?

•  What is your expected return on investment?

•  What is the exit strategy?

You can’t just say, “I want to be an entrepreneur” and leave it at that.  You also can’t just have an idea or concept.  You need to have the skeleton of an actual business plan if you want to credibly declare yourself an entrepreneur in your MBA application.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Tags: entrepreneurship, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions, MBA career goals

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Thou Shalt Not Forget Thursday’s Webinar!
Spaces for Thurday’s webinar, The 10 Commandments of MBA Interviews, are filling up!

The webinar will take place Thursday (Feb. 20th) at 5:00 PM PT / 8:00 PM ET. Learn how to ace your MBA interview – sign up for The 10 Commandments of MBA Interviews now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Interview, webinar

Send PM
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Do Your Part to Improve MBA Admissions – Win $500!

Survey respondents will be entered into a drawing to win $500

AIGAC, the Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants, is conducting a survey and would like YOUR participation! This is your chance to share your opinions of the MBA admissions experience with top MBA admissions committees.

In May, AIGAC will hold its annual conference in New York City where they will present anonymous data about MBA applicants to the top MBA programs. That data will come from these surveys, so the more responses, the better. You can read more about the survey here.

The survey closes at the end of February, so please respond ASAP!

What about the $500?

We saved the best part for last – survey respondents will be entered into a drawing to win $500 (via PayPal). Your email address would be used only for prize notifications.

Tags: AIGAC, MBA Admissions

Send PM