Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 00:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 00:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Interview with an Admitted UCLA Anderson [Re]Applicant [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Interview with an Admitted UCLA Anderson [Re]Applicant

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a follow up interview with James Huntington, who was recently accepted to UCLA Anderson. (We first met James last year – you can read our first interview with him here.)

Accepted: It’s nice to have you back! Can you tell us a little about how you’ve spent your last year?

James: Thanks! I am excited for the opportunity to share a little bit more about my experience. I never imagined how much time, energy, and effort would go into applying to b-school. It definitely consumes you. Other than applications, interviews, etc., I have tried to spend as much time as I can with my wife and kids (we are expecting another boy here in a couple weeks). We did a couple family surf trips, one to Washington and one to Mexico…Mexico was a little bit warmer. I have also spent the past couple months brushing up on some math/Excel skills, as well as taking a few computer science and coding classes to help prep me for my goal to transition into the tech industry.

Accepted: Congrats on your acceptance to UCLA Anderson! In our last interview, you had said that you were applying to Tuck, Haas, Kellogg, MIT, and Yale – but no mention of Anderson! When did you add Anderson to the list? Did you apply to any others not on your original list?

James: Thank you so much! Anderson was on my shortlist of schools I wanted to apply to, but I decided I didn’t want to tackle more than five applications in round one, even though I got a very early start being a reapplicant. After being dinged or waitlisted by the schools I applied to in round one, I decided to apply to Darden, Tepper, and Fuqua, in addition to UCLA Anderson.

Accepted: Where else were you accepted to? What tipped the scales to favor Anderson? 

James: I ended up getting into Darden and Tepper as well. At first, I was having a very difficult time deciding where to go. There were aspects of each program that I really liked and I knew I could be successful at each one. However, as I talked to more students/alumni, reflected on my personal/professional goals, etc., Anderson was clearly the right choice for me. This is not to say that Darden or Tepper lacked in any of these areas, but there were a few things that really stood out to me about Anderson:

Students

Throughout this whole process, I have found that Anderson students have been some of the most, if not the most responsive, friendly, genuine, and helpful students I have talked to. Of the students I contacted or was introduced to, 100% of them responded and took time to talk with me. The only other school that came remotely close to that was Tuck. All the students I spoke with at Anderson were down to earth and very friendly. A few even offered me a place to stay while I look for housing. I appreciated the fact that after I was accepted I was assigned a buddy by the admission office. I was also contacted by an alumni and spoke with him about his experience at Anderson. Another thing that really impressed me compared to some of the other programs was the amount of help/advice Anderson students gave me in terms of preparing for school and a career transition.

One factor I didn’t think would be too important to me while I was researching programs, but became increasingly so, was the location of the school. For my career goals, to transition into tech, aside from perhaps the Bay Area, I couldn’t have picked a better location. Plus, having grown up in California, I am looking forward to returning to my home state and enjoying the great weather! No more snow 2014!!!

In relation to location, one thing I really like about Anderson is they offer academic internships. With the relatively strong tech start-up scene in the Los Angeles area, this will give me the opportunity to further gain and develop the needed skills and experience while in school to land a job in tech post-MBA.

Career/Technology

Along the lines of location and career, another big plus for Anderson was the strength of their tech club, the High-Tech Business Association, and the amount of different offerings for students interested in tech. With nearly a quarter of the students from Anderson going into the tech industry, the school has put a lot of resources into developing this area of their program. With some of the other schools, I felt like I would have to put a lot of personal effort into being able to get anywhere near the experience I would at Anderson. Another big draw to the program was that Anderson’s Career Management Center, Parker CMC, has consistently be ranked one of the top MBA career management centers. From all my conversations with Anderson students, the strength of the Parker CMC is one thing that came up in almost every conversation.

Community

Although there are a ton of other reasons I chose Anderson, the last one I will talk about is the community. I mentioned this earlier, but all of the students and fellow admits that I have spoken to have been very down to earth, friendly, and receptive. I initially really wanted to be in a small town to make sure I got the tighter-knit, community feel from the program I attended. However, after the experience I have had thus far with Anderson, I am confident I will get the tight-knit community feel while being in one of the most vibrant cities in the world!

Sorry to go on and on, but as you can tell, I am really excited about Anderson!

Accepted: Can you talk about your different interview experiences (this year and last year when you applied the first time)? And can you share a few tips with our readers on interviewing?

James: Absolutely! Of the entire application process, I enjoyed the interview the most. I felt like I was able to paint the best picture of myself while interviewing, as long as I was prepared. The difference between my first interview last year and my last interview this year was like night and day. I think some of it had to do with just gaining experience interviewing, but it was mostly due to my level of preparation and understanding my story.

Of all of the interviews I did, my favorite was by far my interview with Darden. The interviewer came in completely blind, she didn’t even have my resume, and she asked me to tell her my story. She wanted to know about my personal life, my professional life, and my goals. She would interject from time to time with questions, but overall, she let me direct the conversation. Because I wasn’t restricted to answering specific questions, I felt like I was able to express who I am and who I want to be much better than in other interviews. I think that question would have been overwhelming if I hadn’t prepared and didn’t know that Darden was known for the “Tell me your story” interview style, but thanks to the various forums and interview reports, I was, and it made the experience very enjoyable.

For those that will be interview soon, make sure you prepare! Don’t just prep for general interview questions, but look up interview reports for each school, the interview formats can be very different. The better prepared you are, the smoother the interview will go.

Also, know your story inside and out. Own it! Know what you want to do, how you are going to do it, and how the school you are interviewing with is going to help you. When asked, “Why our school?” don’t respond with general comments like, “Collaborative culture,” “Tight-knit community,” etc. Be specific! If those things are important to you, tell them how their school exhibits those characteristics. Be genuinely specific about classes, clubs, conferences, and activities that are going to help you achieve your goals. Again, be specific about how you will contribute to you class and the program. In order to do that, you will need to prepare, research, and talk to students/professors.

Accepted: What are you most looking forward to in starting b-school in the fall?

James: I have always enjoyed going to school. I am really looking forward to stepping away from work for a while and devoting all that time and energy into school. I believe that an MBA is a great opportunity to better yourself personally and professionally, and I am looking forward to doing that with some great classmates. I have already had the chance to connect with a few members of my future class and I have been impressed by all the different backgrounds and things they have accomplished. I am really excited to get to know them better and to meet more great people. Outside of school, I am looking forward to going surfing, and my kids are pumped to be so close to Disneyland!

Accepted: Do you still blog? How do you think your blog will evolve now that you’ve been accepted? 

James: I am still definitely blogging. So many of the other prospective students’ blogs and current students’ blogs helped me throughout this process, I want to give back in some way if possible. Hopefully some of the things I write about will help those that are just beginning the process, and maybe inspire some reapplicants to keep working hard and going after their dreams.

My blog has definitely evolved since I started it. When I first started writing, it was mainly for myself. It was an outlet for all the pent up thoughts/anxiety brought on by the application process. I feel like it has become more of a place for me to share my experiences and information I have come across to help benefit others who are going through the process now. My hope is that it will become a resource for those individuals. I plan to blog while I am in school as well, although it might not be at the same rate, and offer insight into life at b-school, specifically UCLA Anderson.

You can read more about this blogger’s b-school journey by checking out his blog, MBA Reapplicant! Thank you James for sharing your story with us!

You can read more about this blogger’s b-school journey by checking out his blog, Grant Me Admission!  Thank you for sharing your story with us! – See more at: https://blog.accepted.com/tag/mba-applic ... DE9Fa.dpuf

Accepted.com ~ Helping You Write Your Best

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA applicant bloggers, MBA Student Interviews, UCLA Anderson

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
NYU Hosts AIGAC! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: NYU Hosts AIGAC!

About 70% of applicants who interview are admitted.

Not only did NYU Stern host the annual conference of Association of International Graduate Application Consultants – AIGAC – last week (along with Columbia Business School) – it also shared some valuable information about its program and applications process.  Here are several highlights.

• The admissions team characterized the Stern MBA program as “deep, diverse, and [reflecting] academic excellence.”  They cited particular strengths: finance, strategy, consulting, entertainment and media, marketing, entrepreneurship and innovation.  This array behooves applicants to define their own, unique path and approach to productively using Stern’s resources.

• Community is huge at NYU Stern – so EQ is as important as IQ and is sought by the adcom.  The value of community is even reflected in the program’s institutional resources, including the Center for Business and Human Rights established in 2013.

• Speaking of EQ, the adcom noted that applicants possessing this requisite quality will articulate fit with Stern in the application.

• It’s now the second year for the scholarship established in 2013 to “support exceptional college seniors”: William R. Berkley Scholarship Program covers full tuition and includes a housing stipend.  Scholarship winners are selected based on academic performance plus potential to contribute to society.

• Stern’s loan assistance program is open to all types of students: regular full-timers, Langone part-timers, and EMBAs.

• Fun fact: about 40% of Stern MBAs receive some kind of scholarship, including international students.

• Another fun fact: about 70% of applicants who are interviewed are admitted.

• Last but not least fun fact: the 80% GMAT range for Stern’s full-time MBA is 680-760, and for the Langone part-time program it is 620-730.

• The Berkley Center for Entrepreneurship & Innovation is a particularly cherished resource at Stern – a nerve center of sorts – deeply integrated into the fabric of intellectual and professional life at the school.

NYU’s presentation to AIGAC conference attendees also included two samples of successful video essays in response to the longstanding essay 3 asking applicants to describe themselves creatively to their classmates.  In one, the applicant showed different aspects of himself (friend, student, professional, sportsman, etc.) in little vignettes, each with a touch of humor.  None was highly unusual – one stood out because this presentation captured his charm and enthusiasm.  In the second, the applicant focused with warmth and wit on her specific passion: parks and public spaces.  So, two different approaches: one broad, one narrow.  Both fresh, expressive, confident.  Both brimming with EQ.  As I’ve told people many times, there is no one formula for doing this essay well.  And yes, it’s there again this year.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.

Tags: AIGAC, MBA Admissions, NYU Stern

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Is Ten Days per Business School Application Enough? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Is Ten Days per Business School Application Enough?

Give yourself plenty of time – about one to two weeks – per application.

There are a number of steps involved in the MBA application essay writing process: contemplating the questions, choosing the topics, and crafting a collection of short stories that tell a tale and appeal to an admissions committee. Each of these steps takes time. But HOW MUCH time do you actually need? A day? A week? A month?

I think the best way to maximize efficiency is to give yourself plenty of time – about one to two weeks – per application. The following tips should help you get organized:

1. Do the easy stuff first. Before you sit down to focus on your essays, make sure that you’ve already taken care of the application basics – get your GMAT squared away, school selection finalized, transcripts sent out, recommenders lined up, resume polished, etc. There are two benefits to this: First, you’ll be able to focus better on your task at hand after you’ve already crossed off so many things on your to-do list; and second, you’ll have a much clearer idea of your admissions profile once you’ve tackled these objective application elements.

2. Reserve more time for your first application.
The first essay and application almost always take the longest to complete. It rarely comes naturally to applicants to think and write about their accomplishments and failures, career background and goals, leadership and teamwork experiences, and turning points in life. Getting used to writing in such a way takes practice. After you’ve forced yourself to think and write in this new way, you’ll find subsequent essays less challenging.

3. Leave time for the tricky ones.
There’s always a tricky essay that holds up the schedule, and that essay is different for every applicant. You may be blow through a 500-word career goals essay only to get bogged down in a 200-word culture-shock essay. Mental blocks don’t adhere to a schedule. Be prepared for the unexpected!

4. Understand that life happens.
A project at work suddenly requires overtime or travel, a family need suddenly fills a weekend, a recommender suddenly has no time to write a recommendation. Unanticipated events may cause you to put your application on hold, even after diligent and steady progress, leading you to delay submitting several applications until Round 2.

So yes, set a schedule, try to stick to it, but recognize that an application is ready when it’s ready. Recognize that submitting a GREAT application in the second round is far better than submitting a mediocre application in the first round. Mediocrity doesn’t get accepted to top, highly selective business schools.

Tags: MBA Admissions

Send PM
Selecting Which B-Schools to Apply to: Two Examples [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Selecting Which B-Schools to Apply to: Two Examples

“Selecting Which B-Schools to Apply to: Two Examples” is excerpted from the Accepted.com special report, Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One.  To download the entire free special report, click here.

Here are two examples that illustrate how this school selection process works.

Example 1:

A 25-year-old male (American of Korean ethnic background) in finance has two years as an investment banking analyst followed by one year in private equity. His career track record of impact and accomplishment is solid but not exceptional; similarly he demonstrates clear but not outstanding leadership. He has a combined GMAT score of 710 and a GPA from a strong but not elite college of 3.45. His extracurricular activities are consistent but do not elicit a “wow.” His post-MBA goal is to return to his present employment at a higher level. MBA brand is important to him, but he accepts that he may not be competitive at Wharton or Columbia. Given his age, he would rather reapply (at least he knows where he can improve if need be – leadership, impact, and GMAT) than attend a program that does not excite him or that represents a steep compromise, and since no safety schools excite him, he select only reaches and on-pars. Still, he’d love to get in this year, so he decides to apply to eight programs over Rounds 1 and 2 to widen his chances.

During his research he was surprised to find a few on-pars that interested him, and he put all three on his list: Georgetown (he was unexpectedly thrilled when he visited by the extensive campus resources and the high caliber of students), USC Marshall (a lot more intense than he’d believed, and he was invigorated by the Asia focus), and Cornell (where his private equity experience will be a slight differentiating factor, and Cornell actually straddles reach level). The five reaches contain some variation in competitiveness: Columbia, Wharton, Chicago, NYU,LBS.

Example 2:

A 30-year-old female is a junior manager in manufacturing operations, with a record of solid advancement and leadership. Her GMAT score is 680 and she has an undergrad GPA of 3.3 from a second-tier state school and a grad (supply chain and IT) GPA of 3.65 from the same school. Her extracurricular activities include significant leadership in her church. This applicant’s post-MBA goal is to acquire a mid-level management position in global operations at a top-tier manufacturer that will lead to senior management within several years. She needs to get in this year because of her age, since she knows that chances of acceptance become increasingly difficult for each year after the age of 30. Her work experience is a strength, in part because females in operations are relatively few, but also because core manufacturing related experience isn’t highly represented in many programs. She doesn’t have the time, the resources, or, in fact, the desire to apply to more than six schools, and she feels she should be able to gain acceptance to an exciting program if she approaches her list thoughtfully. She targets two reaches—Michigan and MIT (women are even a smaller percentage at MIT than at most US b-schools)—two on-pars—Kelley and Tepper—and two safeties—Schulich in Canada and Krannert (Purdue University).

For both of the above hypothetical applicants, objective assessment of their profiles, thoughtful examination of their needs and wants, extensive school research, and consideration of the number of schools to apply to yield promising lists of targeted MBA programs.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Tags: Best MBA Programs Series, MBA Admissions, special report

Send PM
Save 10%. Get Accepted. Smile. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Save 10%. Get Accepted. Smile.

Enjoy a Juicy %10 Off!

Hey grad, law, and b-school applicants – are you looking to save money this summer AND get one step closer to gaining acceptance to your top choice school?

Introducing Accepted’s SUPER Summer Sale – 10% off your choice of grad school services, law school services, and MBA services through Tuesday, July 15th.*

Not sure which service is best for you? Check out the options below and then, as always, please be in touch if you have any questions!

Top Graduate School Admissions Services:

Top Law School Admissions Services:

Top MBA Admissions Services:

We look forward to helping you get into grad/law/business school AND have a fabulous summer!

* Offer valid only on non-rush services and may not be combined with other offers.

Tags: Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Wharton 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Wharton 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Wharton is still marching in the MBA application shrink parade. It now has one required question and has dumped the question about contribution to Wharton’s learning community.  However, it has made the optional a broader question than it was last year and has increased the optional essay word limit. Overall the Wharton essay word limit count has declined from 1250 to 950 including the optional.

My tips for completing the Wharton application essays are in blue below.

The Admissions Committee wants to get to know you on both a professional and personal level. We encourage you to be introspective, candid, and succinct. Most importantly, we suggest you be yourself.

Essays:

1. What do you hope to gain both personally and professionally from the Wharton MBA? (500 words)

What do you want to achieve personally and professionally that you can’t do now and that a Wharton MBA will help you achieve? Note the questions is not just asking what you want to do after you graduate, and it’s not asking for exclusively professional aspirations. It is giving you the option to dream a bit.

As with most MBA goals questions, Wharton still wants to see how you connect your Wharton education to your future. Keep in mind that Wharton has an incredibly rich curriculum. How will you take advantage of its premier offerings to prepare yourself to achieve your vision for the future?

Reapplicant Essay. All reapplicants to Wharton are required to complete the Optional Essay. Explain how you have reflected on the previous decision about your application, and discuss any updates to your candidacy (e.g., changes in your professional life, additional coursework, extracurricular/volunteer engagements). You may also use this section to address any extenuating circumstances. (250 words)

The key part of this question is the update part. Don’t ignore reflection on your previous decision, but focus on the new and improved you. For more suggestions for your reapplication, please see MBA Reapplication 101.

Optional Esssay. Please use the space below to highlight any additional information that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about your candidacy. (400 words)

You can use the optional essay to explain or provide context for decision you have made or events in your life. For example:

• Why isn’t your current boss writing your recommendation?
  • Why is there an eight-month gap between your first and second job?
  • Why did your grades dip during the last semester of your junior year?
  • What are your responsibilities while working for a family business after having left a prestigious consulting firm, and why did you decide to go into the family business?
Your optional essay can respond to any of those questions (but not all).

Or you can use your optional essay to highlight something in your experiences, background, personal or professional life that didn’t fit into the required essay and that you want the admissions committee to know about. You can discuss a diversity element, a unique area of interest or an accomplishment that you don’t feel is adequately described elsewhere.

Don’t use it as a grand summary of you application or reasons for wanting Wharton. Make sure it adds value.

If you would like professional guidance with your Wharton MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Wharton MBA application.

Wharton 2015 Application Deadlines:

Application Deadline .
Decisions Released

Round 1
Oct 1, 2014
Dec 16, 2014

Round 2
Jan 5, 2015
Mar 24, 2015

Round 3
Mar 26, 2015
May 5, 2015

*To be considered for a round, you must submit a complete application by 5:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST) on the day of the deadline.

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools2015 MBA Application, MBA Admissions, Wharton

Send PM
Harvard Business School: Analytical Aptitude and Appetite [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Harvard Business School: Analytical Aptitude and Appetite

So HBS wants “analytical aptitude and appetite.” What is there to add? I mean, it’s pretty obvious. We didn’t really need HBS to say it. Yet they did say it.

Maybe it’s not as obvious as it sounds. Let’s take a look.

Analytical: This concept encompasses a range of things – quantitative methods, various tools and processes such as decision trees and FMEA, mental objectivity, an exacting attitude. Parsing the relationship between a whole and its parts. Pursuing root causes.

Aptitude: Ability, innate and/or learned.

Appetite: This is the really interesting word, because it’s open to interpretation. We can read it as meaning to enjoy, to savor, to be open to, to relish, to hunger for, to have capacity for. Here are some of its practical implications and nuances (in question form):

• Do you use objective analysis in understanding past events, planning future actions and strategies, and making decisions?

• Do you respect results and outcomes determined by analysis when they don’t jive with your preconceptions, ideologies, or preferences?

• Does your analytic mindset allow you to be comfortable with – even relish – ambiguity and uncertainty?

• Do you help your teammates understand and use analytic approaches and thinking?

• Perhaps most important, do you use language effectively as an analytic tool, e.g., when the team is facing a muddle, are you the one who can verbally separate the threads, clarify them, and guide the team to understand their relative weight and importance?

As the HBS website indicates, for HBS, analytical aptitude is not a solitary feast (regardless of how hearty the analytic appetite). You’ve got to bring your analytical chops to the table, i.e., to classroom debates and case studies, projects, etc. Therefore, you must be able not only to read and play the analytic score – but also to improvise, on the spot and with other virtuosos.

The adcom will grasp your analytic aptitude from your transcript(s), test score, and resume. But if you feel these elements don’t properly show this dimension, use other parts of the application (essay, short answers, additional info, recommendations) to amplify it.

As for showing analytical appetite:

• Your resume may reflect this quality, depending on your work.

• Invite your recommenders to discuss this quality and to provide examples.

• In your essay(s) use a story or two that demonstrates analytical appetite.

And be assured, it won’t hurt to let other programs you apply to appreciate your analytic aptitude and appetite!…

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBAand Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com, including many successful applicants to HBS.

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, What HBS is Looking For

Send PM
Entrepreneurship, Fashion, and Wharton: MBA Alum Interview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Entrepreneurship, Fashion, and Wharton: MBA Alum Interview

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Dorie Golkin and Emelyn Northway, Wharton graduates and co-founders of Of Mercer (which you’ll read more about below).

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What’s your favorite non-school book?

Dorie: I (proudly) grew up in New York City. At Princeton, I majored in Civil Engineering and minored in visual arts, with a focus on darkroom photography. My favorite non-school book is Love in the Time of Cholera, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

Emelyn: I’m originally from East Grand Rapids, Michigan. I attended Cornell University and majored in Economics and Psychology. My favorite non-school book is Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. I also love Tina Fey’s Bossypants for a laugh out loud read.

Accepted: Where did you go to b-school and when did you receive your MBA? What have you been doing since?

D&E: Both of us went to Wharton Business School, where we were members of the class of 2013. Since graduating a year ago, we have been working full-time on our startup, Of Mercer, a new women’s workwear brand of fashionable, office-appropriate apparel that we launched last November. It is a concept that we conceived and worked on while at school, after discovering that we weren’t the only women who struggled to find budget-friendly, desk-to-dinner clothes.

Accepted: When you started Wharton, did you know that you wanted to start your own fashion line/online store? How did your company evolve? Can you point to specific classes, clubs, or other resources that directly helped you launch your company?

D&E: We both came to Wharton planning to pursue entrepreneurship, but not necessarily in the e-commerce space. We’ve both always been interested in fashion, but Of Mercer was really about solving a personal problem, one that we discovered after we wore the same work dress to an event and realized it was the only one in our closet that we actually wanted to wear to work. While at Wharton, we conducted numerous surveys and focus groups to test and refine our idea. It was through this feedback that we decided go with a direct-to-consumer model and develop a “beta” line of five dresses that we tested and sold at Wharton before building out our launch collection.

During the process, we were accepted into the Venture Initiation Program, Wharton’s incubator program. Having a team of advisors, a network of fellow entrepreneurs, and a wealth of start-up specific programming and resources to draw on was incredibly useful in helping us go from idea to launch.

We also tailored our course selection to what would be most helpful (both in the near and long term) for Of Mercer, including Legal Aspects of Entrepreneurship, Customer Analytics, Digital Marketing and E-Commerce, and many more.

Accepted: What was your favorite thing about Wharton? If you could change one thing about the program, what would it be?

Dorie: It was definitely the Wharton community. Everyone from our professors to our peers was incredibly supportive of us and our venture, and was willing to help in any way possible, whether that meant taking an hour of time to participate in a focus group or sitting down with us for a one-on-one conversation about inventory management. In addition, the community of student entrepreneurs at Wharton is strong and growing. In fact, our class had a record number of students who went on to pursue their own startups after graduation.

Emelyn: Wharton’s curriculum has really evolved and covers the gamut of topics you’ll need to know well to be a successful entrepreneur. However, I would love to see a few more opportunities to learn the more gritty, practical skills and tasks that are actually part of the day-to-day operations of an early-stage startup – things like basic coding, graphic design, or even how to set up bookkeeping and payroll.

Accepted: How would you rate Wharton as a program for entrepreneurs? Which other b-schools do you think are best for entrepreneurs? 

D&E: Wharton is a great place for aspiring entrepreneurs. We were incredibly happy with the program and can’t imagine going anywhere else. We felt support from all levels – from our peers to the administration – support that still continues today, a year after graduating.

We didn’t go to any other business schools, so we don’t think we can accurately comment on their programs, but great entrepreneurs come out of all the top schools. It’s all about having an entrepreneurial mindset going into business school and using your resources effectively while you’re there.

Accepted: Can you share your top three admissions tips with our readers? (These can be specific to Wharton or general, or ideally, a combination of both.)

Dorie: Be authentic and realistic. You don’t have to claim that you’re going to cure cancer to stand out, but you should have a track record of what it is you want to pursue. Even if you’re making a career change, there should be something on your resume – an extracurricular pursuit, a specific project, etc. – that shows you’ve already dipped your toes in the water and are bringing valuable experiences to the school and your future peers.

Emelyn: Be honest in your application about how business school will take you to the next step in your career. It’s quite possible that the next step may change once you get there, but you need to apply with a clear vision of what you think that step is now – not only to get in, but also to get the most out of going to business school and hit the ground running once you’re there.

Focus on your essays and make sure they shed light on qualities about you or experiences you’ve had that may not come across on your resume. They’re one of the few places in your application in which you have the ability to differentiate yourself. And don’t wait to get feedback on your essays – get it as early as possibly from as many people as you can (preferably people who have gone to that school) to make sure you’re headed in the right direction.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school applications, please see our MBA Application Packages. For specific advice on how to create the best application for Wharton see:

Thank you Emelyn and Dorie for sharing your stories with us!

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Interview, MBA student interview, Wharton

Send PM
Review of The Economist’s GMAT Tutor [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Review of The Economist’s GMAT Tutor

The Economist’s GMAT Tutor is a highly navigable GMAT test prep option for test-takers who are looking for a balanced combination of self-study and interaction. The program enables you to read up on loads of GMAT topics, rank your strengths and weaknesses, and take practice tests (those are self-study elements), as well as schedule tutoring sessions, ask questions to tutors, and submit your essays for markup (the interactive elements). Of course, the extent to which you receive these features (particularly the interactive ones) will depend on your level of membership, which depends on how much you pay.

Highlights of GMAT Tutors features:

• Personalization. GMAT Tutor measures your strengths and weaknesses and develops a program tailor-made for you. According to the site, “GMAT Tutor uses a cutting-edge artificial intelligence system that studies you in order to determine the optimal subject to teach you and the optimal difficulty level at any given moment. Our system is designed to take you to your maximum possible performance and to do so more quickly and pleasantly than any other prep program currently in existence.”

• Available support. For technical issues, you can email GMAT Tutor’s support team. But for academic queries, you can use the program’s integrated Ask-a-Tutor system. You just click on the Ask-a-Tutor icon and submit your question.

• Essay grading. You can submit an essay draft to the program and receive an essay grade and feedback within three business days.

That’s really just a brief sampling. I urge you to check out the other fantastic features GMAT Tutor has to offer. I really found it to be a user-friendly program – very clear and very organized!

Tags: GMAT, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Is a Harvard MBA in your future? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Is a Harvard MBA in your future?
If you want to answer that with a resounding “yes” then you need to tune in to our upcoming webinar, Get Accepted to Harvard Business School. The webinar will take place on Thursday June 26th at 10 AM PT/1:00 PM EST. You can look up what time that is for you here.

Reserve your spot for Get Accepted to Harvard Business School now!

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, webinar

Send PM
Michigan Ross 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Michigan Ross 2015 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Ross completely redid the essay part of its MBA application this year. Getting rid of its long-standing goals essay, a fairly new “elevator pitch” question, and a question about dealing with frustrating or disappointing situations, it added two questions on achievements.  The overall word count is down 150 words.

Since the application is not live, I can’t see the short answer questions or the online boxes. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if Ross asks about goals in the non-essay portion of the application.

Review Ross’ Evaluation Criteria before you sit down to write the essays. And remember: your essays should reveal the qualities Ross seeks — not just mouth them. Show that you walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Also, read carefully the introductory paragraph to the essay questions. The advice is excellent.

My comments are in blue below.

Essays:

Our goal with these new questions is that we’ll get a sense of who you are, how you think about yourself and how you process your experiences. The range of responses can be quite wide – from an accomplishment to a challenge or difficult situation that you overcame or a characteristic about yourself. There isn’t a “right” or “preferred” type of response. Applicants often ask how they can differentiate themselves. The essays are the best way to do it. Your undergraduate school and major may be similar to another applicant’s. Your career path and goals may be similar to another applicant’s. But your experiences and what you take away from them will be unique.

1. What are you most proud of professionally and why? What did you learn from that experience? (400 words)

The first part of the question is fairly straightforward. What are you truly proud of professionally? The reasons for your pride and the lessons learned require thought and soul-searching. And of course, you only have 400 words.

Good reasons for the choice: Contribution to your team, department, company, or society.  Impact on you or others. Try to quantify this part of your answer. Numbers are a great way to show both contribution and impact.  However, if your #1 achievement is qualitative or difficult to quantify, don’t let lack of numbers stop you from using it.

For the lessons learned part of the question, focus. Choose one lesson that has changed how you think or behave and describe those changes.  You don’t have room for many lessons learned, so select the most important one.

2. What are you most proud of personally and why? How does it shape who you are today? (400 words)

This response should compliment your response to #1 and obviously it should not be professional. Ross wants to know that you have a life off the job and that you make a difference then too.

What have you done off the job that you are really proud of? Raised money for a favorite charity by running a marathon? Organized a political event? Engaged in interfaith dialogue that broke down communications barriers? Led a sports team to victory?

Any of the above and many, many other non-professional achievements would qualify as a good topic for this essay.

Then what was its impact on you? Please don’t write that you learned you can do anything you put your mind to. That response is cliched and not really true. It’s a non-answer. A good response will show how your behavior or thinking has changed as a result of this accomplishment.

4. Optional question: is there anything not addressed elsewhere in the application that you would like the Admissions Committee to know about you to evaluate your candidacy? (300 word maximum)

Optional questions aren’t junk drawers or shoe boxes in which to jam “stuff.” Focus on one facet of your life or an experience that is important to you, reveals the human being you are, and isn’t described in other parts of the application.

Of course, you can also use this essay to provide context for a weakness, but I prefer not to end your application on that note if possible. So weigh your options. If you have something to explain, do so. If you can slip in the explanation somewhere else, great. If the best place for the explanation is this last essay, so be it.

If you would like professional guidance with your Michigan Ross MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Michigan Ross application. 

Michigan Ross 2015 MBA Application Deadlines:

Round 1

Applications due Oct. 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM (EST)

Decisions posted Dec. 19, 2014 at 12:00 PM (EST)

Round 2

Applications due Jan. 5, 2015 at 11:59 PM (EST)

Decisions posted March 13, 2015 at 12:00 PM (EST)

Round 3

Applications due March 23, 2015 at 11:59 PM (EST)

Decisions posted May 15, 2015 at 12:00 PM (EST)

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools2015 MBA Application, MBA Admissions, Michigan Ross

Send PM
HBS 2014 Class Profile [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HBS 2014 Class Profile

Let’s take a look at who comprises the 2014 incoming class at Harvard Business School (from the HBS site):

•  Percent admitted: 12%

•  Percent of women: 41%

•  Percent of international applicants: 35%

•  Median GMAT: 730

•  Complete GMAT range (lowest and highest scores): 580-790 (note that there were no perfect scores)

•  Percent from STEM fields: 39%

•  Top 4 pre-MBA professions:

Are you looking to join the next HBS class? Join us for our upcoming webinar, Get Accepted to Harvard Business School, to learn key strategies to help you get accepted!

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions

Send PM
2014 B-School Grads Flock to Jobs in Tech, Healthcare, and M [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 2014 B-School Grads Flock to Jobs in Tech, Healthcare, and Manufacturing
A GMAC press release presents the results of the most recent global student exit survey (of 3049 grads from 111 schools who responded in February and March), revealing that those students seeking jobs in traditional fields like consulting, products/services, and finance/accounting were more likely to have a difficult time securing a position early in the hiring cycle that those looking for work in smaller, less traditional fields such as technology, manufacturing, and healthcare.

Image from the GMAC press release

Here are some highlights from the report:

• 57% of 2014 business school graduates (MBA and others) received at least one early job offer, down 3% from last year, but up 25% from 2010.

• 62% of students were involved in the job search; 4% were planning on pursuing entrepreneurship or were already self-employed.

• There was an 80% median salary increase (over their pre-degree salary) for those who received job offers, up 7% since last year.

• 61% of job seekers in the tech industry received job offers, accounting for 15% of the total number of grads who received early job offers; this is up since last year’s 9%.

• Students in the manufacturing and healthcare/pharmaceuticals industries had the greatest success rate landing job at 74% reporting at least one job offer, and accounting for 7% and 5% respectively of all early offers.

• 27% of career changers who received job offers were in the consulting.

• 21% of all job seekers who received job offers were in consulting, up slightly since 2010 (20%).

• 26% of all job seekers who received job offers were in the finance/accounting sector, up since 24% last year, but down from 2010’s 30%.

• 62% of graduates in the government/non-profit sector received early offers, accounting for 5% of all job seekers who received job offers.

The following stats come from the Financial Times article on the subject, “Technology companies become magnet for MBA students”:

• At London Business School, more graduates received job offers at tech companies than at financial institutions. Eleven class of 2013 grads landed jobs at Amazon, while Citi hired only eight. Seven grads were recruited by Google, and only five received job offers from HSBC.

• In 2013, Stanford GSB sent more grads to tech companies than to banks for the second year in a row – 32% in 2013 went into technology, which followed 24% in 2012 and 13% in 2011. Of those who headed to tech companies, 40% went to small and medium-sized companies, 40% went to large companies, and 20% went to startups.

According to the FT article, a number of factors are responsible for this monumental shift. Steve Dalton, Duke Fuqua’s senior associate director of MBA student services, reports that promotions and job security, two previously high scoring advantages for the banking industry, are on the decline, making alternative fields more attractive. But, according to David Morris, LBS career services’ head of corporate sectors, in explaining tech’s growing and banking’s declining popularity, money’s not the main draw – “People are excited about the company and the product – that’s the main driver, not the money,” he says.

You can read more about the results of the GMAC survey in the Poets & Quants article, “Job Offers Up In Tech & Healthcare.”

Tags: GMAC, hiring, MBA Admissions, MBA healthcare

Send PM
Columbia Business School Hosts AIGAC! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Columbia Business School Hosts AIGAC!

Clearly, character is as important as smarts in Columbia’s equation.

On May 30, Association of International Graduate Admissions Consultants (AIGAC) conference attendees had the privilege and pleasure of learning firsthand from Columbia Business School admissions officials, professors, students, and administrators about latest developments at CBS.

One big takeaway for me – CBS admissions has become friendlier, more welcoming.  And more transparent.  (“More” relative not just to the past but to MBA adcoms generally.)

These changes reflect the idea that, ultimately, constructive success in business (and life) comes down to people, human beings.  It was reflected during the conference in multiple ways: the warm reception we received from the adcom members, plus their openness and frankness during discussions; the heightened emphasis in the program elements (structure, curriculum, extracurriculars, etc.) on developing individual students into responsive, responsible leaders; and the student representatives’ frequent and enthusiastic references to their supportive community.

This is not to say that Columbia doesn’t still require academic rigor.  Or is softening its high admission standard.  Or that math and analytics are out the window… They’re just important in a broader context.

The adcom reps report that they seek applicants who:

• Are or have the capacity and character to be knowledge creators

• Demonstrate strong commitment

• Go out and have an impact

Clearly, character is as important as smarts in Columbia’s equation.

And character is addressed immediately for incoming students.  A scintillating presentation by Kathy Phillips, Paul Calello Professor of Leadership and Ethics, gave us a taste of her 6-day LEAD block leadership course, People, Teams, Organizations.   This course heightens students’ self-awareness through activities and dialogue to become leaders who “elicit high commitment and productivity from people and groups.”  Professor Phillips notes that this course ends up influencing students’ subsequent course selections and perspectives.

Additional points of note:

• The January entry is not just for people with family businesses, but also for people who have solid enough networks and/or networking skills in their industry that they don’t need the summer internship.

• The career services – ACE – feature three dimensions: Advisors, Coaches, and Executives-in-residence.

• Many current students volunteer to email with prospective applicants to share their experiences and answer questions – use this resource to gain a student’s-eye-view of the program!  You can sign up on the Columbia website.

• Some things remain the same in Columbia admissions, e.g., in the goals essay, specific is good.  And they want to see applicants convey fit.  The adcom now has so many resources on the web that it’s easier to research Columbia Business School from a distance than previously.

• As someone who works with many applicants to top EMBA programs, I asked what the EMBA adcom learns from the GMAT – since some other top EMBA programs no longer require a standardized test and since the GMAT score need not be super-high (indeed, I’ve had Columbia EMBA applicants admitted who had GMATs in low to mid 600s). Their answer:  willingness to take this step shows proper mindset, commitment.  So if you’re interested in applying but are put off by this requirement, perhaps go ahead.

• The acceptance rate for Early Decision applicants and for Regular Decision applicants who apply early (i.e. before approximately December 15) is the same. However, the acceptance rate for Regular Decision applicants generally goes down with the passage of time and the approach of CBS’ April 15 deadline.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.

Tags: AIGAC, columbia gsb, MBA Admissions

Send PM
Future Harvard Business School MBAs – Tune in on Thursday! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Future Harvard Business School MBAs – Tune in on Thursday!
If you plan on applying to Harvard Business School or another top-tier MBA program, then you’ll want to make sure you catch the important advice that Linda will cover in Get Accepted to Harvard Business School!

The webinar will take place this Thursday, June 26 at 10:00 AM PST/1:00 PM EST.

The webinar is free but you must register. Sign up here: Get Accepted to Harvard Business School.

See ya soon!

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, webinar

Send PM
Adapting Your List of B-Schools as the Season Progresses [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Adapting Your List of B-Schools as the Season Progresses

As the applications progress, life goes on.

“Adapting Your List of B-Schools as the Season Progresses” is excerpted from the Accepted.com special report, Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One.  To download the entire free special report, click here.

As I noted earlier, your initial school list isn’t set in stone. It is a firm starting point that allows you to plan and to proceed efficiently and systematically through the often unwieldy application process.

As you progress through your applications, continuously assess and respond to any new developments that might warrant revising your list. For example:

• Evidence that your initial assessment of reaches, on-pars, and safeties was off. E.g., if you applied to reaches and on-pars with competitive interviewing and you don’t receive interview invites even from some on-pars, it’s a sign that you may have miscalculated your competitiveness. On the other hand, if you receive an interview invite from a high reach that you really didn’t expect, a re-assessment might reveal the advisability of adding another reach or two in the second or third round. In either of these cases, revisit your list. Changing it may involve replacing some programs, or simply adding some.

• Your plans or needs change. As the applications progress, life goes on. Personal needs change: geography, partner and family issues, personal interests. Professional needs and goals change: Perhaps you lost your job; perhaps a new healthcare project intrigued you and you now want to consult in this area. Revisit your list, see what works and what doesn’t, and adapt it accordingly.

You encounter a program that appeals to you that you didn’t initially consider. Look at your list: Would this program replace another one on your list? Or would you want to add it? Either option is fine, depending on your needs and resources.

Good luck in the upcoming MBA season! By following the steps in this guide you will create a list of MBA programs that meet your needs and will yield admission to desirable programs. This systematic approach will also help you keep sane during the application process.

If you would like professional assistance beyond this report with your school selection and/or application process, please visit our catalog of services.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, co-author of The Finance Professional’s Guide to MBA Admissions Success, and author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her last fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Tags: Best MBA Programs Series, MBA Admissions, special report

Send PM
What to Do at an MBA Fair [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What to Do at an MBA Fair

If you are considering making the major investment that a b-school education requires, then you’ll certainly want to research into MBA programs seriously. One excellent way to learn more about your MBA options (and to help prospective programs learn more about you) is by attending an MBA fair.

Listen to the recording of our conversation with Peter von Loesecke, CEO and Managing Director of The MBA Tour to find out what you can gain from attending an MBA fair and how to best prepare to take advantage of the opportunity and impress the b-school reps.

00:02:47 – About the MBA Tour and the MBA2U events.

00:08:35 – How to get to meet top b-school reps and other must-knows about attending an MBA Tour event.

00:15:18 – Tips for preparing for an MBA fair (and how not to turn off the b-school reps).

00:20:29 – What to wear and bring along.

00:22:16 – EMBA candidates, here is what the MBA Tour has for you.

00:24:40 – In person vs. virtual options for getting to know b-schools.

00:28:08 – The very best ways to damage your admissions chances at an MBA fair.

00:31:31 – Trends in management education.

00:34:37 – Advice for 2015 & 2016 MBA applicants.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com.

Related Links:

• MBA Fairs: Advancing Your MBA Ambitions

• Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One

• The MBA Tour

Related Shows:

• Which Graduate Schools Should You Apply To?

• MBA Admissions According to an Expert

• Healthcare Management at Wharton and at Large

• An Inside Look at INSEAD

• Leadership is King: Interview with IMD’s Lisa Piguet

• Which Schools are Good for PE/VC and VC-Backed Entrepreneurship

Subscribe to Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, MBA Admissions, MBA fair, MBA tour

GMAT Club Bot
What to Do at an MBA Fair [#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  122