Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6275 [0]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64925 [2]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
pgwodehouse wrote:
Can this question be solved using the concept of relative speed?

Speed of B wrt A becomes (R+4) mph
Distance to be covered by B becomes (4+4)=8 miles

Hence time taken by A becomes 1+8/(R+4) hrs.

Could you please tell me what is it that I am doing wrong?
Thank you!

VeritasKarishma chetan2u Bunuel

Note that A is continuously walking too. A doesn't stop after 1 hr. B has to cover twice the distance covered by A.
So B will cover the 4 miles that A has already covered while making up for all the distance being covered by A at that time and then cover more distance than A to cover twice the distance covered by A. So distance covered by B is much more than 8 miles. Also, (R + 4), the relative speed of B with respect to A would be relevant if we needed to do something about the total distance between them. But actually we need to compare distance covered by A with distance covered by B so their individual speeds are relevant. They could be walking in any direction - it wouldn't impact our answer.
Rotman School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.59
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Re: Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

In T hours Alex will cover 4T miles;
Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Answer: C.

Why have we multiplied T by 2 when we have already taken into account that T is the time taken by Alex covering double the distance covered by Brenda? Are we not double counting here?

Posted from my mobile device
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619055 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
Expert Reply
mohammadfaraaz123 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
enigma123 wrote:
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from Brenda in a straight line at a rate of 4 miles per hour. One hour later, Brenda begins to ride a bicycle in a straight line in the opposite direction at a rate of R miles per hour. If R > 8, which of the following represents the amount of time, in terms of R, that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex?

A. R-4
B. R/R+4
C. R/R-8
D. 8/R-8
E. 2R - 4

Guys - I don't have an OA for this. Can you please help in terms of how this can be solved?

Let T be the time that Alex will have been walking when Brenda has covered twice as much distance as Alex.

In T hours Alex will cover 4T miles;
Since Brenda begins her journey 1 hour later than Alex then total time for her will be T-1 hours, and the distance covered in that time will be R(T-1);

We want the distance covered by Brenda to be twice as much as that of Alex: 2*4T=R(T-1) --> 8T=RT-R --> T=R/(R-8).

Answer: C.

Why have we multiplied T by 2 when we have already taken into account that T is the time taken by Alex covering double the distance covered by Brenda? Are we not double counting here?

We are comparing distances here. We need such T that the distance covered by Alex in T hours, which is 4T, is half the distance covered by Brenda in (T - 1) hours, which is R(T-1). So, we need such T that satisfies 2*4T=R(T-1). As you can see there the distance covered by Alex in T hours, is half the distance covered by Brenda in (T - 1).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Can you please let me know where am I committing mistake?
Alex already covered 4 miles. In the next t hours the total distance covered by Alex will be 4+4t.
Similarly Brenda covers Rt miles in the next t hours.
Therefore, Rt=2(4+4t)t
t=8/(R-8)

Even I was riddled with the same doubt. I understand it now!

If you take Brenda's time as (t) and Alex's time as (t+1), when you solve for "t", you shall get:

t = 8/(R-8). (Brenda's total time)

However, the question asks for Alex's total time for the distance covered.

Add +1 to both sides you shall get:

t+1 = 8/(R-8) +1 = (8 + R - 8)/(R - 8) -------> R/(R-8)

Therefore Answer (C).

Takeaway : Do not forget the perspective. Alex's time according to your approach is t+1 and not t. Hope this clarifies.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 183 [0]
Given Kudos: 309
Send PM
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/(R+4)
C. R/(R-8)
D. 8/(R-8)
E. 2R - 4

Let t be the requisite time then the eqn for the distance covered is given by

=>R*(T-1)=2*4T since b started one hour late

=>(R-8)*T=R

=>T=R/R-8

Therefore IMO C
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 183
Send PM
Alex and Brenda both stand at point X. Alex begins to walk away from [#permalink]
enigma123 wrote:

A. R-4
B. R/(R+4)
C. R/(R-8)
D. 8/(R-8)
E. 2R - 4

IMO C
Distance = Speed * Time
For A, distance = x ; Speed = 4 ; Time = x/4
For b, distance = 2x ; Speed = R ; Time = 2x/R

A started 1 hour early, so:
Time (A) - 1 = Time (B)
[x/4] - 1 = 2x/R
xR - 4R = 8x
x = 4R / [R-8]

Time (A) = x/4 = [4R / [R-8]] / 4
Time (A) = R/R-8
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 306 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.25
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
I think the easiest way to approach this problem is by taking numbers.
Let R = 16
When A could've been travelling for 2 hours (with 1 hour head start), A would've covered 8 miles. B, on the other hand, would've travelled twice as much, covering 16 miles in the opposite direction.
So, R = 16 in one of the five options should give you the answer as 2.
Only option C does.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Let time it will take for that to happen be y.

Alex time

y +1

Brenda's time

y

Distance covered within period

Alex

4(y+1)

4 + 4y

Brenda

Ry

So

Ry = 2(4+4y)

Ry = 8 + 8y

Ry - 8y =8

y = 8/R-8

But Alex time is y + 1

8/R -8 + 1

= R/R-8.

Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts