Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:40 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 636 [20]
Given Kudos: 44
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42105 [10]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [0]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Re: Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later [#permalink]
I think Its c because of past tense usage

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 593 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
 Q47  V28 GMAT 2: 570  Q40  V29
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
monir6000 wrote:
Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
A.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
B. Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
C. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
D. Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

i pick B here. there are 2 past events. at first TEL resisted the assignment then he led an Arab uprising. So B conveys the meaning correctly. in A, TEL resisted the assignment and led the uprising simultaneously, which is not the intended meaning. C just reversed the intended meaning. E is convoluted and wordy. correct me if i am wrong
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
Choice B should be the correct answer. This question is only about tense and logic of tense. Choice A is wrong in term of tense error. The first tense should be in past perfect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: International Business, Leadership
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V32
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
IMO - B.

Explanation:
A. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
Time sequence error. Leading and Resisting seems to have happened at the same time. Hence, Incorrect.

B. Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
Had indicates resistance happened before Lawrence led the uprising. Sounds right, plus 'Although he' followed by 'T.E. Lawrence' after comma is correct.

C. Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
Changes the meaning of the sentence, it appears that leading happened before the resistance. Hence, incorrect.

D. Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
he....refers to Lawrence of Arabia. Hence, incorrect.

E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment
Pronoun error - they incorrectly refers to T.E. Lawrence. Hence, incorrect.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Nonprofit
Send PM
A.Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
Two actions happening at different times so the first one needs to have the correct tense 'had' to specify the order of events.
Correct. Tense is correct - 'he had' and also the commas are used correctly. 'He' refers correctly to T.E. Lawrence and then goes on to say that he successfully led an uprising.
Same as A, wrong tense.
Illogical sentence formation 'who' needs to refer to T.E. Lawrence but it does not do so correctly.
E. T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.
'They' refers to T.E lawrence incorrectly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 778 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Weight: 170lbs
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Here's how I approach this problem:

Start with A. This actually seems okay, but obviously we should check the rest anyway. B immediately seems just as good if not better. By this point, it's pretty obvious that the answer is going to be A or B, and it's probably B, but let's check the rest anyway. C is obviously wrong, D is just silly and changes the meaning, and E is obviously wrong. So, A or B. Review the two. Clearly these are two past events and B gives a better idea of when they relatively happened. B is the answer.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
this is very hard and beautiful problem. It takes me a long time to solve this problem.

on sc, normally, we have to face split had done+did and did+did

when we see this , ask your self the two actions happen in sequence or at the same time.

in A, the two actions happen at the time and this situation is not logic. the action after "although" can not happen at the same time with the action in the main clause. The action in the "although" clause must happen before the action in the main clause and so, "had done" and "did " are used. this process of imposing the times on 2 actions ia hard and takes a long time

this is typical of gmat question, which is simple and hard and very basic.

thank you Manhantan for making this question. this question simulates a situation in the real test , in which I was last time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Among all the options, Option B fits in very well for me...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 117 [0]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
monir6000 wrote:
Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
A) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
B) Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
C) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
D) Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
E) T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

"Resisted" happened first and then "Led"

so B fits in to indicate the timeline.....
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: ND
Own Kudos [?]: 246 [0]
Given Kudos: 655
Schools: Rotman '21
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
monir6000 wrote:
A) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
B) Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
C) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.
D) Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence.
E) T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment.

B is the correct answer

"although" indicates that the first action preceded the second action, specifically in this sentence, and I don't think this would be the case all the way... therefore the first action should be past perfect "had resisted" and the second past simple "led"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Send PM

A) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire. WRONG - It sounds like,"resisting the assignment", and ,"leading", both happened at the same time.
B) Although he had resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire. CORRECT
C) Although he resisted the assignment, T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, had successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire.WRONG - It does change the meaning.
D) Although he had resisted the assignment, Lawrence of Arabia, who successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, was earlier known as T. E. Lawrence. WRONG - It has wrong modifier error. "Although he had resisted the assignment is modifying Lawrence of Arabia" which is wrong.
E) T. E. Lawrence, later known as Lawrence of Arabia, successfully led an Arab uprising against the Ottoman Empire, although they had resisted the assignment. WRONG - It has pronoun error
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts