Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [35]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [4]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Given Kudos: 738
WE:Account Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Re: An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s inte [#permalink]
Answer IMO E
-> "to control" is correct, as infinitive of purpose. -> B,C, D out
-> "began" is the correct simple past form of "begin", but in A "begun" is wrong.
Answer E

Bunuel wrote:
An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major drought and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis.

(A) to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago,

(B) begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities,

(C) begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities almost thirty years ago,

(D) at controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities begun almost thirty years ago,

(E) that has begun almost thirty years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities,

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1344 [0]
Given Kudos: 607
Send PM
Re: An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s inte [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major drought and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis.

(A) to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago,
(B) begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities,
(C) begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities almost thirty years ago,
(D) at controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities begun almost thirty years ago,
(E) that has begun almost thirty years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities,

notes: proper idiom is "effort to".

(A)
Verbal Chat Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1612 [1]
Given Kudos: 1679
Send PM
Kudos

(A) to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, Correct

(B) begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, Incorrect

(C) begun for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities almost thirty years ago, Incorrect

(D) at controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities begun almost thirty years ago, Incorrect

(E) that has begun almost thirty years ago to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, Incorrect

Eliminate B, C, D & E - all are run-on sentence, 'has been ' has no precedent

So Answer - A
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [1]
Given Kudos: 315
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V35
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
IMO A - simply because Effort to Control is the right construct.

(B) An effort Begun is wrong construct
(C) An effort Begun is wrong construct
(D) Seems to be a run on sentence
(E) tense is erroneous.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619048 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Bunuel wrote:

Project SC Butler

For SC butler Questions Click Here

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION

A

This is an idiom question. Do you attempt to do something, do you attempt at something, or do you attempt for something? Choice E uses the idiom correctly but creates a new tense error. The best answer is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [0]
Send PM
An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s inte [#permalink]
zhanbo - I have a few lame questions, request you to please elaborate these for me once. I understand that the idiomatic usage of "an effort to" is being tested here primarily (as explained in OA). I have questions on other aspects as I seem to be missing some fundamental rules here.

1. "began" Vs "begun": As per my knowledge, "began" is simple past and "begun' is past-participle. (This article also explains the same.)
Example: World War began in 1914 (simple past); The application process has already begun (past participle)
In option A: "An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun..." => Should the correct usage of "begin" here not be "began" instead of "begun"? Since there is a missing "has/have" for "begun".

2. Option B: "begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities."
You have mentioned that "comma" before the word "has been" separates the Subject and verb. But the same happens in Option A as well: "An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major drought and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis." Here, "An effort" is Subject and "has been" is verb, which are separated by comma. Then how is A correct?

Could you please help me understand what I am missing here?

zhanbo wrote:
My answer is (A). It took me one minute and 36 seconds.

(B) The comma should not be used. It separates the sentence's subject and verb. Also, "an effort for" may not be idiomatic.
(C) See above
(D) After a complete independent clause "An effort ... begun almost thirty years ago", the next verb "has been partially successful" does not its subject. The sentence is incorrectly constructed.
(E) The comma should not be used. It separates the sentence's subject and verb.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2301 [4]
Given Kudos: 114
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q169 V168

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s inte [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Pankaj0901 wrote:
zhanbo - I have a few lame questions, request you to please elaborate these for me once. I understand that the idiomatic usage of "an effort to" is being tested here primarily (as explained in OA). I have questions on other aspects as I seem to be missing some fundamental rules here.

1. "began" Vs "begun": As per my knowledge, "began" is simple past and "begun' is past-participle. (This article also explains the same.)
Example: World War began in 1914 (simple past); The application process has already begun (past participle)
In option A: "An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun..." => Should the correct usage of "begin" here not be "began" instead of "begun"? Since there is a missing "has/have" for "begun".

2. Option B: "begun almost thirty years ago for controlling the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities."
You have mentioned that "comma" before the word "has been" separates the Subject and verb. But the same happens in Option A as well: "An effort to control the crippling effects of poverty in Brazil’s interior cities, begun almost thirty years ago, has been partially successful, despite the setback of a major drought and the interruption of aid during an extended economic crisis." Here, "An effort" is Subject and "has been" is verb, which are separated by comma. Then how is A correct?

Could you please help me understand what I am missing here?

zhanbo wrote:
My answer is (A). It took me one minute and 36 seconds.

(B) The comma should not be used. It separates the sentence's subject and verb. Also, "an effort for" may not be idiomatic.
(C) See above
(D) After a complete independent clause "An effort ... begun almost thirty years ago", the next verb "has been partially successful" does not its subject. The sentence is incorrectly constructed.
(E) The comma should not be used. It separates the sentence's subject and verb.

Begun is indeed the past-participle for verb "begin". In (A), "begun almost thirty years ago" is a past-participle phrase that modifies "an effort".

To better understand its construction, let's start with two ways to connect "effort" and "begin".
(1) The effort began 30 years ago.
(2) Someone (maybe a government agency) began the effort 30 years ago.

Both sentences above are okay. Now, for sentence (2), we can rewrite it in a passive voice (because we do not know or do not want to mention who began the effort) as
(3) The effort was begun 30 years ago (by someone).
Now, "The effort was begun 30 years ago." is a sentence, but we can change it to be a fragment using past-participle phrase,
(4) The effort begun 30 years ago <-- Not a sentence
The fragment can now take a verb to construct a complete sentence:
(5) The effort begun 30 years ago has been partially successful. <-- Now a sentence with a past-participle phrase

That is basically how option (A) uses "begun almost 30 years ago", but (A) also sets off the past-participle phrase by two commas. Author typically decides to set off non-essential information with commas or em-dash.

In (B), however, there is no comma before "begun", so adding a comma after "cities" is incorrect: comma should not be used between subject and verb.
Correct: Tom is going to marry Ellen next week.
Wrong: Tom, is going to marry Ellen next week.
Correct: Tom, my younger brother, is going to marry Ellen next week.
Correct: Tom, rumored to run for the president some day, is going to marry Ellen next week.
"rumored to run for the president some day" is a past-participle phrase.

Hope it helps!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [1]
Send PM