Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 54 [3] , given: 74

CAT Tests
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 03:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

28% (01:56) correct 72% (01:11) wrong based on 163 sessions
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

(1) Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Last edited by gmatpapa on 27 Jun 2014, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 263

Kudos [?]: 1591 [2] , given: 249

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 05:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The critical thing here is whether we have to use some kind of a perfect tense or do we use a simple past to describe domestication. If the domestication is a practice that is still being continued, then we can use present perfect, since there is now the required bridge between the past and the present. But can it be considered logical, and do we still domesticate the said animals? No; therefore I feel tht the use of simple past only will be the correct diction.

It might be noted that the author does not cite a tiger or lion or leopard. In these cases, the process do domestication may be continued as and when required and so the process is still not complete. May be in these cases the present perfect will be appropriate

Hence, I would fault chocies1, 2, 3, and 4 and reckon 5 as the correct answer. This requires a good amount of CR skills too, I suppose. OA and OE should help us with some insight.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 297 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 05 May 2011, 14:23
Wow, this one is very difficult.!
IMO, it is A.

These are my reasons:

gmatpapa wrote:
Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated for the purpose of producing foods and goods, providing faster transportation, and serving as pets for amusement as early as the Stone Age.

(1) Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated - "Used to be" slightly changes the meaning. This change elimnates the idea that these animals were feral at the begining.
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated - We don't know whether "have since been..." is parallel with "are" or "were". It is not clear. If it is parallel with "are", the meaning changes.
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated - Past perfect is not necessary.
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated - "Were" is wrong. This implies that these animals are not domesticated in the present.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 81 [0], given: 51

GMAT Tests User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 09 May 2011, 11:08
i think we need an OA , i agree with daagh on this.

What is of supreme importance in war is to attack the enemy's strategy.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)

Kudos [?]: 54 [0], given: 74

CAT Tests
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 10 May 2011, 05:15
OA is E.

OE: This answer choice correctly uses the Past Simple (were domesticated) to describe an action that occurred at a specific point in the past (as early as the Stone Age).

My GMAT debrief: from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2011, 06:56
I'd go choosing #4. It was done so it should be in past tense.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2011, 15:28
Don't agree with E...I go for A.

"were domesticated"????

My will shall shape the future. Whether I fail or succeed shall be no man's doing but my own.

If you like my explanations award kudos.

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 51

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2011, 15:09
This post received
KUDOS
I'd first look at the splits among the answer choices. (A) and (B) clearly begin differently from (C), (D), and (E), so I'd make my first decision based around that difference. In this case, I'd rule out (A) and (B) because the subject of the sentence in those options is all animals which were originally feral, and dogs, horses, and sheep are simply being given as sort of "optional" examples, so these two options wrongly make a statement about all originally-feral animals.

So we're down to (C), (D), and (E), and at this point I'd note the splits we see at the end of those options. We have to choose among "have since been domesticated," "had been domesticated," and "were domesticated." I'd rule out (D) right away, because I'd only use that past perfect ("had been domesticated") if I needed to situate the domesticating prior in time to the being feral -- and doing so would be illogical, since you're not feral anymore once you're domesticated. As between (C) and (E), they both seem good... UNTIL I fit them back into the unchangeable parts of the sentence. But when I do that, I see the "as early as the Stone Age" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't make sense to say "have since been domesticated as early as the Stone Age," because "have...been domesticated" is a present perfect verb form, and you'd only use the present perfect to relate something to the present (as in "I am not (now) hungry, because I have eaten"). You couldn't use present perfect to situate the beginning of a process in the Stone Age. So we need to stick with the regular past ("were domesticated"). It works well to say "were domesticated as early as the Stone Age.

resource: http://www.beatthegmat.com/domestic-animals-t84974.html
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 00:13
Ahhh!! I don't want to think anymore... such a headache! :)
Current Student
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 02:08
gmatpapa wrote:

(2) Animals which used to be feral , such as dogs, horses, and sheep, have been domesticated
(3) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and have since been domesticated
(4) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated
(5) Dogs, horses, and sheep are examples of animals which were originally feral and were domesticated

For me its a choice between C and E.
Have since been vs were
I think as the sentence ends with ' as early as' , usage of since is wrong here.
E it is .
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V29
WE: Sales (Hospitality and Tourism)

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 12

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 05:29
thanks for explaining it so well , Bharatg. agree with E
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2011, 18:40
I too don't agree with E. E doesn't make a complete sentence
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 7

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 05 Jul 2011, 18:32
It was down to A and E for me. I chose E.

E tells us that these animals were domesticated some point in the past, which makes sense.

That was a toughie.

If you like my post, consider giving me KUDOS!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 55

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2012, 23:27
I hope to have an insight here, why does "used to be" change the meaning of the sentence? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 590 Q28 V38
GPA: 2.54
WE: Accounting (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 12

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 03:59
gmatfighter12 wrote:
I hope to have an insight here, why does "used to be" change the meaning of the sentence? Thanks.

I think used to be implies that at one point they were feral, but not anymore.

4/28 GMATPrep 42Q 36V 640

Director
Director
GPA: 3.82
WE: Account Management (Retail Banking)

Kudos [?]: 135 [0], given: 75

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 04:27
(D) Vs. (E)

GMAT allow us to think not only critically but also pragmatically, be sensible to the answer choices.
How many of us will agree that the domestication of Dogs,horses and sheep is still done for food,goods and transportation? (on a broader scale?maybe commercially horse-carts/sheep-wool & Dog-meat in south-east Asian countries)

(D) says..."animals which were originally feral and had been domesticated" what?? so, were they domesticated before just because they were feral? and what happened later? -Time sequence requires "had been" , here it's not needed because it may lead to an improper intention of the author.

(E) steals the show: domestication was an old story , and its nowhere ( mostly ) done today.

+1 for (E)

" Make more efforts "
Press Kudos if you liked my post

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GRE 1: 2170 Q800 V700
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 15

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 29 Jun 2012, 12:49
OA again please. it is a difficult question, and it helps to understand the right choice pls.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 259

Kudos [?]: 58 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 03:52
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 11-08-2014
GPA: 3.1

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 236

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses, [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2014, 10:13
ts2014 wrote:
OA again please. it is a difficult question, and it helps to understand the right choice pls.

HELLO...THOUGH I SELECTED E HERE,I AM WONDERING-

IN THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE,IT USES PRESENT PERFECT TENSE..SO IT MEANS THAT ACTION IS STILL CONTINUING,HOWEVER IN REAL WORLD THAT ACTION HAS FINISHED WAY BACK...SO DO WE HAVE TO RELATE SENTENCE CORRECTION QUESTIONS WITH REAL WORLD OR DO V HAVE TO CONSIDER THE MEANING INTENDED BY THE ORIGINAL SENTENCE..!

I HAV COME ACCROSS THIS QUESTION MANY TIMES NOW SO FELT THE NEED TO ASK.. :)

THE WORD IMPOSSIBLE ITSELF SAYS : I-M-POSSIBLE...SO,DREAM THE IMPOSSIBLE-AND DO THE INCREDIBLE

Re: Animals which were originally feral, such as dogs, horses,   [#permalink] 27 Jun 2014, 10:13