Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Apr 2016, 13:57
GMAT Club Tests

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2004
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [2] , given: 0

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2004, 17:02
2
This post received
KUDOS
2
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  25% (medium)

Question Stats:

60% (01:37) correct 40% (00:44) wrong based on 352 sessions

HideShow timer Statictics

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.

A-- As a result of having
B-- As a result of it having
C-- Because they have
D-- Because of having
E-- Because of their having
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 05:10, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
6 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 12 Feb 2013
Posts: 19
Location: United States
WE: Engineering (Manufacturing)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 13 [6] , given: 55

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2016, 23:16
6
This post received
KUDOS
Kaplan OE:
This is an example of a SC question that explicitly and almost exclusively tests expression, As a result of having is not grammatically offensive, and it works fine with the rest of the sentence, but is rather wordy and indirect. (B), (D),(E) share the same basic structure with the imprecise of having expression. An active sentence or phase starts with the subject (they) and then moves to the verb (have) and object (nostrils). Active expression is generally the most effective expression in the GMAT; always choose it when presented with a grammatically correct option as well. (C) is the best option because it is the most active and the most clear.
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 Jul 2013
Posts: 25
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 33 [4] , given: 27

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 12:51
4
This post received
KUDOS
domfrancondumas wrote:
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

I am posting this question again because the previous post was inconclusive... :( :?

Could you suggest how to deal with the question?

Category Of SC: EXPRESSION..


Thanks in advance..



Hit kudos if my post is useful.....

A=D and B=E, therefore, C is the only correct choice. It looks like some people are having trouble eliminating A. Try rearranging the sentence.
"Sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water as a result of having nostrils"
"Sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water because they have nostrils"

Please give me kudos :lol:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 863
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 06:39
1
This post received
KUDOS
(C) best
"because" is prefer better than "as a result of". The use of "having" is awkward.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 29 Oct 2004
Posts: 863
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 95 [1] , given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 12:57
1
This post received
KUDOS
rthothad wrote:
Between 'A' & 'D', my choice is 'D'.
A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text - so I eliminated 'C' because of the pronoun 'they' to refer to sharks which appears in the latter part of the sentence.


"They" supposes to refer to "sharks", nothing wrong with that.

Because sharks have nostrils,...
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Jul 2013
Posts: 43
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 92

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Aug 2013, 05:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to olfactory bulbs that go back to the brain, sharks are capable of smelling even a few molecules of blood in the water.
(A) As a result of having
(B) As a result of their having
(C) Because they have
(D) Because of having
(E) Because of their having

I am posting this question again because the previous post was inconclusive... :( :?

Could you suggest how to deal with the question?

Category Of SC: EXPRESSION..


Thanks in advance..



Hit kudos if my post is useful.....

Last edited by Zarrolou on 05 Aug 2013, 05:13, edited 1 time in total.
Merging similar topics.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Status: GMAT Expert
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Joined: 15 Jul 2015
Posts: 294
Location: India
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 172 [1] , given: 1

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jan 2016, 22:04
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
"Having" cannot be used in possession. Hence "having nostrils" is an incorrect usage. There is a cause and effect pattern in the sentence and "because" is the preferred entry point. Hence the only answer left is "C".
_________________

Aryama Dutta Saikia
Jamboree Education Pvt. Ltd.
Jamboree Course Reviews | Try 2 of our classroom classes for free before you have to pay
Get GMAT Club Tests for free when you sign up for any Jamboree course. Request access

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2003
Posts: 38
Location: India
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 01:04
I am stuck between 'A' and 'D'. But i will go with 'D'.

O.A. Please.
_________________

Vipin Gupta

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 12:10
Between 'A' & 'D', my choice is 'D'.
A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text - so I eliminated 'C' because of the pronoun 'they' to refer to sharks which appears in the latter part of the sentence.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 13:47
qhoc0010, There is a lot of difference between 'Because sharks have nostrils,..............., they are capable of smelling.....' and 'Because they have nostrils,..............., sharks are capable of smelling.....' - refer to my previous post.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2004
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 21:16
OA is C

I really want to understand as to when can the pronoun come before the noun.... as it is used in this case ...

Can someone explain
_________________

Simple Living .. High Thinking

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 21:19
A pronoun can never come before the noun it refers. Check out
http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/pronouns.htm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 21:28
Pronouns do not have to refer to something coming earlier in the passage, they can refer to things coming later in the passage also. rthothad, you missed what the link said: "A pronoun usually refers to something earlier in the text..." This is not the case when the sentence starts off with an introductory modifier. The passage here needs a personal pronoun in the earlier part, the dependent clause(also introductory modifier) to refer to "sharks" of the independent clause, the latter part.

A and D do not have such a pronoun to link the subject of the introductory modifier to the subject of the latter part "sharks". B has an improper pronoun reference. E improperly use possessive pronoun to refer to "sharks"; we need personal pronoun!
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 21:41
Paul, Yes I overlooked the 'usually' in the link but I am of the view that a pronoun should ALWAYS have an antecedent - because a pronoun is a substitute for a noun and if the pronoun is going to precede a noun the whole point of having a pronoun seems odd - just my observation.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2003
Posts: 4302
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 314 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Nov 2004, 21:59
rthothad wrote:
Paul, Yes I overlooked the 'usually' in the link but I am of the view that a pronoun should ALWAYS have an antecedent - because a pronoun is a substitute for a noun and if the pronoun is going to precede a noun the whole point of having a pronoun seems odd - just my observation.

I disagree with that. To support my view, consider this link: http://webster.commnet.edu/grammar/sent ... _placement
Look at the first example given involving Maria. Also, would you consider these following sentences as grammatically wrong?
1- Because they have more developed brains than other animals, apes are considered more intelligent
2- When it launched the project, the firm firmly believed in its viability

As a matter of fact, there are numerous examples of these kind of introductory modifier questions with pronouns referring to subsequent nouns in PR, SC885 and Kaplan.
_________________

Best Regards,

Paul

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Nov 2004
Posts: 865
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Nov 2004, 04:17
Paul, Thanks for taking your time to explain some things. I am not finished with my OG yet so I am not sure about PR, SC885 and Kaplan. I am going to go look for 'Initial Modifiers' in OG - to convince myself that GMAT does test us on these things.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 7370
Followers: 695

Kudos [?]: 138 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2015, 13:59
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 May 2015
Posts: 20
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 00:25
smarty_cry wrote:
I am stuck between 'A' and 'D'. But i will go with 'D'.

O.A. Please.

Hi there,
Remember this, because of +ing is almost always wrong.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 392

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2016, 07:45
Pronz wrote:
Kaplan OE:
This is an example of a SC question that explicitly and almost exclusively tests expression, As a result of having is not grammatically offensive, and it works fine with the rest of the sentence, but is rather wordy and indirect. (B), (D),(E) share the same basic structure with the imprecise of having expression. An active sentence or phase starts with the subject (they) and then moves to the verb (have) and object (nostrils). Active expression is generally the most effective expression in the GMAT; always choose it when presented with a grammatically correct option as well. (C) is the best option because it is the most active and the most clear.


the explanation from the pesons creating the question is not clear enough.

the main problem for this question is the use of "doing" as a gerund and as a pure noun. grammar books do not explain this point well enough. this is the reason for which we do not understand this question and can not solve the next question.

this question have more to do with grammar than with meaning logic.
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 09 Jun 2010
Posts: 1166
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [0], given: 392

Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Mar 2016, 00:35
the fuction of "doing " in the sentence is hard point of grammar but most gmat expert can not explain fully
Re: As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to   [#permalink] 05 Mar 2016, 00:35

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Whereas the nostrils of old world monkeys always turn downwards reto 9 09 May 2015, 02:11
1 Connecting words endu4gmat 0 23 Jun 2014, 10:24
As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to domfrancondumas 0 05 Aug 2013, 05:08
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Having a very tough time connecting pronouns with antecedent Lstadt 8 07 Feb 2012, 14:42
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to DenisSh 12 05 Aug 2009, 04:46
Display posts from previous: Sort by

As a result of having nostrils, called nares, connected to

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.