Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619084 [12]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
GMAT 1: 610 Q44 V30
GPA: 3
WE:Supply Chain Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain techni [#permalink]
What if you don't know the idiom "need for X"? No way to eliminate A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 927 [1]
Given Kudos: 3682
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain techni [#permalink]
Bookmarks
mskx wrote:
What if you don't know the idiom "need for X"? No way to eliminate A?

Hello mskx

the need for - implies that there is a necessity for experts who able to explain some technical stuff, so we need this experts

the need that - role of "that" - making subordinare clause - here in the given sentence - implies that there is a necessity in explanation of experts not the experts themselves. more about that

As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain technical issues becomes more apparent.

But this is the orginal sentense - we always push away from this version.
So there is not much difference in meaning between (A) and (C).

To me only idiom knowlege can be helpful...

GC Experts Bunuel GMATNinja EMPOWERgmatVerbal daagh could you please enlighten this issue?...
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2334 [1]
Given Kudos: 135
Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: IIMA (A)
GMAT Focus 1:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT Focus 2:
735 Q90 V85 DI85
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V47
GRE 1: Q170 V168
Send PM
As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain techni [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Here's the official explanation for this question:

This sentence begins with an adverbial clause in the present tense, as litigation grows more complex. The as indicates that the adverbial clause describes an event occurring at the same time as those described in the sentence's main clause. For the main clause to adhere to the conventions of English diction, the noun need should be followed here by a prepositional phrase starting with of or for.

Option A: using the noun need with the subordinate clause that experts explain technical issues violates the conventions of English diction.

Option B: The as beginning the sentence indicates that the main clause should be in a suitable tense coherent with the initial adverbial clause, so it is incorrect to use the past tense became.

Option C: Correct. The noun need is appropriately followed by the prepositional phrase for experts to explain technical issues . The main clause appropriately fits with the present tense of the initial adverbial clause since becomes is a present tense verb form.

Option D: Using the noun need with the subordinate clause that technical issues be explained by experts violates the conventions of English diction. Furthermore, the as beginning the sentence indicates that the main clause should be in a suitable tense coherent with the initial adverbial clause, so it is incorrect to use the past tense became.

Option E: Using the noun need with the subordinate clause that there be explanations of technical issues by experts violates the conventions of English diction. The subordinate clause is also needlessly verbose. Furthermore, the as beginning the sentence indicates that like the initial adverbial clause, the main clause should describe an event occurring now or in the future, but has become indicates an event that has already occurred.

The correct answer is C.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain techni [#permalink]
Bunuel wrote:
As litigation grows more complex, the need that experts explain technical issues becomes more apparent.

(A) that experts explain technical issues becomes

(B) for experts to explain technical issues became

(C) for experts to explain technical issues becomes

(D) that technical issues be explained by experts became

(E) that there be explanations of technical issues by experts has become

simple present tense show an event which exists indefinitely , before, in , and , after speech time. also, simple present show an event which exists at the moment of speech.

so, past tense "became" can not be fit with "as".

regarding present perfect in choice E. present perfect show an event happening in a time frame until present. so, present perfect can not fit with a point of time at present or an event existing before , in, and after the speech time. so, choice E is gone. I do recommend you review present perfect in grammar books because this tense can not be explained in a few lines inhere. non native can not explain this tense to us fully. I am not focusing on grammar . I am still focusing on meaning. but tense error is meaning error and, so, is important on gmat. dont fall into trap of leaning grammar rules.

we need to fully understand basic tenses, simple present, simple past and past perfect to solve this problem. these tense is basic and we can understand these tense by reading good grammar book . but dont read too much, gmat dont test minor points of grammar. it tests hard and basic points of grammar.

need to do, need for somebody to do , and need of somthing, are good idioms. choice A is gone.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts