Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:15 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GMAT 3: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 194 [0]
Given Kudos: 275
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [2]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
SugandhaM wrote:
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

Hey GMATNinja, how do we know that which is modifying 'chips' and not plunging prices? Can't we argue that "for computer chips" could be a prepositional phrase?

Thanks for your help!

Good question -- I should have addressed this issue in the original explanation. In theory, "which is due to an oversupply" could modify the entire phrase "plunging prices for computer chips" -- meaning-wise, that makes perfect sense, and I think it's OK for which to "reach back" behind the prepositional phrase here. The trouble is that (B) would still be wrong in that case, because the subject-verb agreement wouldn't work anymore: "plunging prices... IS due to an oversupply."

So either way, the modifier is wrong: if "which is due to an oversupply" modifies "computer chips", it's illogical, and if "which is due to an oversupply" modifies "plunging prices", the subject-verb agreement is unambiguously wrong.

shahMeet wrote:
For option E: Further analysis

that computer chip prices have been sent plunging is an IC (which is not really required).
My question is can we ever have 'with' modifying a phrase?

I'm not quite sure that I understand the question, but I'll give it a shot. For starters, "that computer chip prices have been sent plunging" is a subordinate clause, not an independent clause. And "with" can modify all sorts of phrases: for example, in the phrase "I ate two burritos with great joy", "with great joy" modifies the entire phrase "I ate two burritos."

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging [#permalink]
A is good, but one thing: there is a obsequies of events, but author uses Present perfect two times.
In my opinion it would be better if Past Perfect would be used for first event.

Because an oversupply of computer chips had sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

Please somebody explain where I am wrong.
Thanks, BR
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 97
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Quote:
(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

Absolutely nothing jumps out at me with (A). Subject-verb agreement is fine, logic seems fine. *shrug*

I guess we'll keep (A).

Quote:
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

I'm really happy to see the word "which", because it's usually pretty straightforward. In this case, the phrase "which is due to an oversupply" is trying to modify "computer chips", and that makes absolutely no sense, partly because the computer chips themselves can't be caused by an oversupply, and partly because the subject-verb agreement is wrong ("chips... is"). Eliminate (B).

Quote:
(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

"Which" can only be used to modify nouns, and the preceding phrase is a verb phrase, "have been sent plunging". Eliminate (C).

Quote:
(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

This one is for you, warriorguy! Phrases that begin with "due to" can only modify nouns, not verbs. Here, have a couple of examples:

• The game was postponed due to rain. --> Wrong, since the phrase "due to rain" modifies the verb phrase "was postponed." "Due to" phrases can only modify nouns.
  • Souvik's success on the GMAT was due to his hard work. --> Correct, since "due to his hard work" modifies the noun "success."

In (D), "due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply" presumably modifies the manufacturer, since that's the noun that follows. And that makes no sense at all: the manufacturer itself wasn't "due to plunging computer chip prices." (D) is gone.

Quote:
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

This is just an uglier, wordier version of (D), with the same "due to" problem. Eliminate (E). (A) wins.

What a beautiful and logical explanation.
Thanks a lot.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert

Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
jackspire wrote:
What a beautiful and logical explanation.
Thanks a lot.

Thank you so much for the kind words, jackspire! Glad that the explanations are useful sometimes. :)

ilya56rus wrote:
A is good, but one thing: there is a obsequies of events, but author uses Present perfect two times.
In my opinion it would be better if Past Perfect would be used for first event.

Because an oversupply of computer chips had sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

Please somebody explain where I am wrong.
Thanks, BR

A few thoughts, ilya56rus: first, the option you proposed isn't an option, so it's a non-issue! The best approach on SC is to find the four answers that are the most severely flawed. So it's not helpful to start coming up with alternative options that aren't even there -- at least not when you're taking an actual exam. :-)

I understand where you're coming from, though. Trouble is, this actually wouldn't be correct on the GMAT:

ilya56rus wrote:

The problem is that the past perfect tense verb ("had sent") can only be used as the first of two past actions. So for this to be correct, you would basically need to have some other verb in simple past tense. And we don't have that here: instead, "the manufacturer has announced" (present perfect tense, if you like the terminology) indicates an action that starts in the past and continues into the present.

And maybe there's an exception that I can't quite imagine, but it wouldn't really make sense to use the past perfect ("had sent") with the present perfect ("has announced"), since that last action would continue into the present.

But what about the actual version in the correct answer?

Quote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

There's no problem there at all. Both actions in bold ("has sent prices plunging" and "the manufacturer has announced") started in the past and continue in the present -- or at the very least, we can easily imagine that the manufacturer's announcement continues to be relevant in the present. I suppose the phrase "has sent prices plunging" implies that prices are STILL plunging in the present, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.

Could we find better ways to write the sentence? Sure! In most cases, correct SC sentences aren't all that great, and a good editor would rip most of them to shreds. But there's nothing WRONG with (A), and there are plenty of flaws in the other choices.

I hope this helps!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 3136 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Dartmouth College
Send PM
Expert Reply
Shiv2016 wrote:
GMATNinja, @e-gmat, and mikemcgarry

Why are we using present perfect 'has sent prices plunging' ? Isn't the action of 'prices plunging' over?

Little confused with the usage of present perfect in this sentence.

Thanks

The present perfect tense serves to express a PAST ACTION THAT AFFECTS THE PRESENT.
Example:
You do not need to give me directions to the city; I have traveled there many times.
Here, the present tense action in red is true because of the blue action.
Since the blue action happened in the past but affects the present, it is expressed in the present perfect tense.

OA: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer...will cut production.
Here, the blue action affects the present because -- sometime AFTER THE PRESENT -- the company WILL cut production.
Since the blue action happened in the past but affects the present, it is expressed in the present perfect tense.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V39
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Hi Experts,

Out of above all rule based explanations, i have a small query regarding different approach to choose among options A & D:
-Can i think like, OVERSUPPLY is leading Manufacturer to cut the production, not the PLUNGING PRICES. So OVERSUPPLY should be the subject not the PLUNGING PRICES..!

Someone please explain, if this can be applied here..
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]

Send PM
Expert Reply
appylov wrote:
Hi Experts,

Out of above all rule based explanations, i have a small query regarding different approach to choose among options A & D:
-Can i think like, OVERSUPPLY is leading Manufacturer to cut the production, not the PLUNGING PRICES. So OVERSUPPLY should be the subject not the PLUNGING PRICES..!

Someone please explain, if this can be applied here..

Here are (A) and (D) again:
Quote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

Yup, that sounds reasonable enough, appylov! I suppose that it's the oversupply -- or better still, the fact that the oversupply has sent prices plunging -- that caused the manufacturer to cut production. It's arguably not the plunging computer chip prices alone that caused the manufacturer to cut production.

I still think that it takes less effort to just recognize that "due to" is misused in (D), and I'm all about minimizing effort on SC. But I do agree with your analysis!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 14675 [1]
Given Kudos: 766
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hello Everyone!

This is an incredibly difficult question, so let's dive in! We'll figure out the best way to tackle this question, and narrow down options to find the right choice! Before we start, here is the original question, with the major differences between the options highlighted in orange:

(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

So...it's clear that just about everything is different about each option. Whenever we run across questions like this, we know we're going to have to spend some extra time on it.

After a quick glance over the options, there are a couple things we can focus on to help narrow down our options:

1. Modifiers (Make sure they're in the right place and not misleading)
2. Because / Because of / Due to (Make sure they're used correctly)

Let's take a closer look at each option and focus on those two things for now:

I don't see anything wrong with this yet. There are no modifiers, and the use of the conjunction "because" works here to clearly show cause and effect.

This is INCORRECT because the modifier "which is due to an oversupply" is modifying "computer chips," which doesn't make sense. It's also not clear what "oversupply" is referring to - an oversupply of computer chips, or an oversupply of something else? So let's rule this one out!

This is INCORRECT because modifiers that start with the word "which" can ONLY modify nouns, and this one is trying to modify the verb phrase "have been sent plunging." It's also confusing to readers what the "oversupply" is - an oversupply of computer chips, or something else? If it's not 100% clear, the GMAT won't like it!

This is INCORRECT because the modifier here doesn't work. Modifiers that start with "due to" modify NOUNS, and the closest noun is "the manufacturer." The manufacturer didn't plunge the computer chip prices - the oversupply did. It's also not clear what the "oversupply" is. We found ourselves asking "and oversupply of what??" This means that things aren't 100% clear, and we can rule it out.

This is INCORRECT because it also uses a "due to" modifier incorrectly. It should be modifying the prices plunging, not the manufacturer. It's also worded awkwardly. The GMAT doesn't like overly wordy phrases like "with the result that." They recommend you use something less complex and clearer for readers.

There you go - option A is our best choice after all! It doesn't have any problems with modifiers, and everything is written as clearly and concisely as possible!

Don't study for the GMAT. Train for it.

Originally posted by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 31 Oct 2018, 11:09.
Last edited by EMPOWERgmatVerbal on 22 Mar 2019, 17:02, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM