Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 10

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 06 Mar 2011, 05:03
vbansal wrote:
the OA is A. I am looking at the OG right now. I swear answers are always posted incorrectly on this forum (first time I am posting, but I keep seeing these errors...)

This sentence describes a causal sequence of events: The oversupply of chips caused prices to plunge, which in turn caused the manufacturer to announce factory closings to cut production. The clearest, most efficient way to express this sequence is to present the events in chronological order, as they occurred.

A Correct. Events are presented concisely, in chronological order.
B Because which refers to plural prices, it should be followed by are, not is.
C The violation of chronological order is confusing; reference of which is ambiguous.
D This backward description of the events behind the announcement of factory closings is confusing and awkward.
E Due to followed by with the result is redundant and unnecessarily wordy.

The correct answer is A.

Bansal, Can you please provide the question number and the version of the OG where you came across this SC problem? It will help other people to get correct information.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 08 Mar 2011, 03:17
I totally agree with vbansal ... can't believe that people are posting questions without the official answers . Its very frustrating, especially for newcomers, to go through all incorrect "correct" answer choices and trying to figure out which one is correct.
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 12:58
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
I totally agree with vbansal ... can't believe that people are posting questions without the official answers . Its very frustrating, especially for newcomers, to go through all incorrect "correct" answer choices and trying to figure out which one is correct.

Deepaksharma,
If thats the case stick with the standard GMAC material and stop whining. Unless you have exhausted standard sources you should not even be looking at other material such as the 1000 series. Some questions don't have a OA or sometimes someone may not agree with the OA and so post a question. Discussion and debates help you learn better. Please dont discourage people from posting here.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2011, 14:53
goalsnr wrote:
deepaksharma1986 wrote:

Deepaksharma,
If thats the case stick with the standard GMAC material and stop whining. Unless you have exhausted standard sources you should not even be looking at other material such as the 1000 series. Some questions don't have a OA or sometimes someone may not agree with the OA and so post a question. Discussion and debates help you learn better. Please dont discourage people from posting here.

Goalsnr,
I think you have failed to realise the fact that this is a question from a STANDARD GMAC source. No one is whinning here and I don't have a problem of discouraging people. It just becomes annoying because people post questions (especially from official sources) without official answers & that leads to unnecessary debates. And don't ever patronize me about sticking to something or not, do ur own thing and let me do my own
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 01:45
vbansal wrote:
I do not think it is whining. This is an OG problem. There is only 1 correct answer. The original poster of this thread stated that the official answer was D. He said:

"I picked A on this one. But the OA is D."

This is NOT correct. The answer is in fact A.

It is frustrating when someone posts a wrong answer as the OFFICIAL answer.

Bansal,
The 1000SC doc I have does show the OA as D. I had no idea (until I saw your post) that this was a question from OG. Just to make it clear I had no intention of misleading people here. You will see this question has been posted several times on GMATclub and people have been debating about the validity of the OA
VP
VP

Reviews Badge
Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2011, 01:52
deepaksharma1986 wrote:
goalsnr wrote:
deepaksharma1986 wrote:

Deepaksharma,

Goalsnr,
I think you have failed to realise the fact that this is a question from a STANDARD GMAC source. No one is whinning here and I don't have a problem of discouraging people. It just becomes annoying because people post questions (especially from official sources) without official answers & that leads to unnecessary debates. And don't ever patronize me about sticking to something or not, do ur own thing and let me do my own

Read my previous post and that will clarify your invalid assumptions. The world does not operate on your likes and dislikes. Also don't patronize me on what annoys you. What may seem unnecessary to you may be important to others. If you want to do your own thing let others do their own thing as well.
Director
Director
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 254 [0], given: 32

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2011, 10:05
D is awkward.
Correct answer is A. Because it describes the causal sequence of events of the sentence.

‘Because + Main Clause’ and ‘Because of + Noun Phrase’ are acceptable at the start of a sentence. So are ‘Due to + Noun Phrase’ and ‘Due to the fact that + Main Clause’.

Due to plunging and due to over supply are incorrect. Due to the fact that over supply is correct.

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2011, 10:13
Can anybody help me in understanding the noun to which the pronoun 'which' refers to in choice B:
Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply....

What I have learned is that 'which' refers to the noun IMMEDIATELY preceding it. Is the noun 'computer chips' or 'plunging prices'?

TIA

Consider +1 Kudos if you find my post useful. Even otherwise :D
Please feel free to point out any errors in whatever I post.

Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 04-17-2012

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 04:37
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month

(A) Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging,
(B) Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply,
(C) Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from on oversupply,
(D) Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply,
(E) Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

OG gives answer as
[Reveal] Spoiler:
(A)
and says chronological order is needed. But why not (D) which is more concise?
Director
Director
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Followers: 62

Kudos [?]: 299 [0], given: 264

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Need help on a SC Q33 in OG 12th edition [#permalink] New post 14 Jan 2012, 07:41
@sgadipat
option D states that Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply ...pl see closely whether the prices are plunging or the computer chips(as reflects from D)....so the meaning or the intend is changed.....

Fire the final bullet only when you are constantly hitting the Bull's eye, till then KEEP PRACTICING.

A WAY TO INCREASE FROM QUANT 35-40 TO 47 : a-way-to-increase-from-q35-40-to-q-138750.html

Q 47/48 To Q 50 + the-final-climb-quest-for-q-50-from-q47-129441.html#p1064367

Three good RC strategies three-different-strategies-for-attacking-rc-127287.html

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 51

Re: SC-oversupply [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2012, 13:39
goalsnr wrote:
vbansal wrote:
the OA is A. I am looking at the OG right now. I swear answers are always posted incorrectly on this forum (first time I am posting, but I keep seeing these errors...)

This sentence describes a causal sequence of events: The oversupply of chips caused prices to plunge, which in turn caused the manufacturer to announce factory closings to cut production. The clearest, most efficient way to express this sequence is to present the events in chronological order, as they occurred.

A Correct. Events are presented concisely, in chronological order.
B Because which refers to plural prices, it should be followed by are, not is.
C The violation of chronological order is confusing; reference of which is ambiguous.
D This backward description of the events behind the announcement of factory closings is confusing and awkward.
E Due to followed by with the result is redundant and unnecessarily wordy.

The correct answer is A.

Bansal, Can you please provide the question number and the version of the OG where you came across this SC problem? It will help other people to get correct information.

OG12 SC #33
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 39

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 03:24
due to
mean
caused by

if you can not replace "due to" with "caused by", "due to" is wrong. D and E is out.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 510 Q36 V25
GPA: 4
WE: Information Technology (Other)

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 105

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 10:41
A very very important point to note in the usage of Because of and Due to
Because of - used when the EFFECT is a VERB
eg) The match was postponed because of the rain
Here, in this sentence the effect is a Verb . Hence Eliminate D and E

Due to - when the EFFECT is a Noun
eg) The Postponement of the match was due to the rain

Using POE , u can arrive at A

Hope this helps :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 17:39
Guys, I remember this from the SAT which I took three years ago. There cannot be a grammatically correct sentence which starts with Due to. If you see something like this cross it off. Usually GMAC does not like due to in the middle of the sentence as well, but it is always wrong to start a sentence with Due to.e
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 36

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 19:03
" the manufacturer has announced that it will....'

Though not what asked in the question, but is it OK to use 'it" for the manufacturer?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 4

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 05 May 2013, 02:25
I'm confused on the which statement here.

In choice B, "Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply,"

Does which refer to "plunging prices," or "computer chips?" I recognize that in either case, "is" should be "are," but I'd like to make sure I'm clear on the grammar rule.

In particular, I'm confused because in a previous question, "The electronics company has unveiled what it claims to be the smallest network digital camera in the world, which is as long as a handheld computer..." which seems to be incorrectly modifying world, not correctly modifying camera.

In what cases of "Because of A for B, which ..." can the which refer to B versus A?"
Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 590 Q47 V24
GMAT 2: 650 Q47 V34
GMAT 3: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 4: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Consumer Products)

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 06 May 2013, 03:02
goalsnr wrote:
Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging, the manufacturer has announced that it will cut production by closing its factories for two days a month.

A. Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices plunging

B. Because of plunging prices for computer chips, which is due to an oversupply

C. Because computer chip prices have been sent plunging, which resulted from an oversupply

D. Due to plunging computer chip prices from an oversupply

E. Due to an oversupply, with the result that computer chip prices have been sent plunging

I picked A on this one. But the OA is D. But again there seem to be different OAs for this on the GMATCLUB. I am convinced by explanations by Vikram and Ak_IDC.
So lets open another can of worms :)

Trivikram

11-p257789?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257789

ak_Idc

11-p257169?t=37246&hilit=Because+an+oversupply+of+computer+chips+has+sent+prices+plunging#p257169

Dear Community,

Can anybody please explaine the grammatical construction "has sent prices plunging"? Doesn't GERUND refer somehow to continuous action? Thanks!

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 295

Kudos [?]: 695 [0], given: 6

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 12 Aug 2013, 10:26
Expert's post
Structure: "Because X did Y, A did B."

Here: "Because [this thing has sent prices plunging], [this other thing has announced blah blah blah]."

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 2

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 13 Aug 2013, 00:15
It is a well known trivia on GMAT (though this fact is not just limited to GMAT alone:)) that the usage of due to is appropriate when you can substitute due to (literally substitute in the sentence) with caused by.

Thanks,
Ashish
GMAT - 99th Pecentile, MBA-ISB, Faculty @ http://www.EducationAisle.com

Our book Sentence Correction Nirvana available at

Amazon: Sentence Correction Nirvana
Flipkart: Sentence Correction Nirvana

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 21

Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2013, 04:01
Use due to when u modify a noun and because when we modify a verb

Ex: it is cold due to westward wind (wrong - use because)
Azizona's cold wind is due to westward strom (Correct)
Re: Because an oversupply of computer chips has sent prices   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2013, 04:01