Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:00 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
Re: Best gyms? [#permalink]
yea me too..I'm interested to know about each school's gym especially on the east coast since I'm not going to visit there until my application time (fall 09). crowded? good recreational facility? (rockclimbing, indoor soccer, maybe racquetball?)
I usually go for basketball, badminton, n a little fitness...and b school goers should get free access too right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
For any school that most folks on this board are looking at, full-time (and most PTers I imagine) will have full access to the campus gyms. You pay for it through a compulsory gym or "recreation" fee that's a part of your tuition.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
London Business School has a pretty good gym on campus. Includes a swimming pool etc. As ntang mentioned its all covered in the tuition.

https://www.london.edu/fitnesscentre.html

They need to have the facilities to compete (and win) the MBAT : https://www.mbat.org/

ps. During my stern visit, I was told that Stern get to share the facilities with the NYU gym (which I believe is VERY impressive).
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Darden has the North Grounds Recreation Center about 50 yards from the front steps of the school. It has everything you could possibly want and is super nice. Basketball, racquetball, squash, ping pong, classes, weights, machines, flat screen TVs, satellite radio. It's also free.

Look at the picture below my name. If you stand at the "Darden" sign in the photo, the recreation center is directly to the left.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current students, do you guys have trouble finding the time to work out?

I'm a bit of a fitness buff (~8-10 hr/week) and although I know I'll have to cut back, I'm hoping I'll have the chance to workout 6 days a week while attending school.

Is that a reasonable goal?

I'm thinking it can't be that hard to find an hour a day to go for a run and clean up afterwards?

RF
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Anyone know about the gym at IESE
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:Attending Stanford
Send PM
refurb wrote:
Current students, do you guys have trouble finding the time to work out?

I'm a bit of a fitness buff (~8-10 hr/week) and although I know I'll have to cut back, I'm hoping I'll have the chance to workout 6 days a week while attending school.

Is that a reasonable goal?

I'm thinking it can't be that hard to find an hour a day to go for a run and clean up afterwards?

RF

No, I don't think it's too hard to make time. I know a bunch of people who work out 5-7 days a week.

With respect to gym quality, I really love the gym at Stanford. GSB students usually use the main gym, Arrillaga, which is a 5-minute walk from both the GSB and Schwab (the first-year dorm). Lots of aerobic equipment, weight machines, and free weights, as well as basketball/racquetball courts, yoga room, rock-climbing wall, and (I believe) fencing.

I feel compelled to mention that HBS has a really nice gym, available exclusively for HBS students (every other gym in the Harvard system is open to anyone with a Harvard ID, leading to some bad blood between the business students and the law and med folks :-D ).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Send PM
wow exclusively for HBS student? that is some incentive to go.
I'm assuming this is not the standard right? I thought most schools share it with the undergrads.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
cul3s wrote:
I'm assuming this is not the standard right? I thought most schools share it with the undergrads.

Ross has a gym inside of the new business building that just opened this month.
Current Student
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
cul3s wrote:

Ross has a gym inside of the new business building that just opened this month.

They have to share it with the business undergrads though, right?

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Booth 2012
Send PM
The HBS gym is ridiculous. Here's their description:

Quote:
Shad Hall

HBS has a fitness center located right on campus, for the use of its community. Shad Hall has everything you need to get a great workout.

A state-of-the-art health club, Shad Hall—the private fitness center for the HBS community—boasts an indoor elevated walking/jogging track; three basketball courts; racquetball and squash courts; four outdoor tennis courts and three gymnasium courts; table-tennis tables; an indoor golf net; two aerobics studios with classes ranging from spinning to yoga to kickboxing; a 4,000 square-foot fitness equipment area; and men's and women's locker rooms complete with whirlpool, steam, and sauna rooms.

Shad also has a team of personal trainers and a staff of professionals who offer counseling on nutrition, fitness, and stress management. Golf swing clinics and ballroom dance lessons are available.

HBS students have access to all Harvard University athletic facilities, including nearby Blodgett Pool and Bright Hockey Center.

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/studentlife/camp ... ities.html

cul3s wrote:
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Even though the UofC is the place where fun comes to die, the Ratner Center is ok:
https://athletics.uchicago.edu/facilitie ... center.htm
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
cul3s wrote:

Most of my friends who use Northwesterns gym say the undergrads are the best part about the gym here.

A lot of us actually go to the private gyms downtown since they are far more convienent and time is at a premium. Also some of the high rise buildings have their own small gyms.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Most of my friends who use Northwesterns gym say the undergrads are the best part about the gym here.

:cool That's what I was thinking!

RF
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
The Berkeley Recreational Sports Facility (RSF) is not bad, but a bit overcrowded. It's the same size as it is when I was there as an undergrad, back when the school enrollment was something like 28K. Now it's 36K and the gym hasn't really expanded. But yeah, the undergrad is a big plus to go to the gym.

Unfortunately fall semester I only went to the gym like 4 times. Hopefully this semester will be a little bit different.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5426 [0]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hello Friends,

A new post in this page after 8 years. :-D

Can someone tell me do we have any fitness club or gym at or near Kenan Flagler?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.38
Send PM
abhimahna wrote:
Hello Friends,

A new post in this page after 8 years. :-D

Can someone tell me do we have any fitness club or gym at or near Kenan Flagler?

Fell off a few months for GMAT studying but plan to get in the rotation now and just train hardcore when I leave my job till August. Anyone got info on Wash U?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2