Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:34 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [17]
Given Kudos: 9
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3827 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1250 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran [#permalink]
Is 'have' agreeing with '7000 years of domestication'?

If not, I'd go with B

Can someone pls provide a detailed explanation.
Nitya, the manhattan link points to a different question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [2]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran [#permalink]
Kudos
zaarathelab wrote:
Is 'have' agreeing with '7000 years of domestication'?

If not, I'd go with B

Can someone pls provide a detailed explanation.
Nitya, the manhattan link points to a different question

In option A have agrees with reindeer that is plural

(B) belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, which is different from caribou that tend

a couple of problems with B. Have refers to 7,000 years of domestication changing the meaning. Also which lacks a clear antecedent and the comparison is not parallel

Removing modifiers you have

reindeer's tendency is different from caribou that tend.

you're comparing the tendency to the caribou, making this option incorrect.

(C) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but being domesticated in Eurasia for about 7,000 years has developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, and that is different from caribou tending

it's not clear what "being domesticated" refers to. Lack of parallelism in the final part " and that ...." because that is suppose to refer to tendency but if you add "and" it does not work.

(D) are the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency
to circle in tight groups, while the tendency is for caribou

This option as B, says that the years,not the domestication, have developed the reindeer's tendency.

while caribou tend to is preferred to while the tendency is for caribou to

Also the comparison is not properly established.

(E) are the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but being domesticated in Eurasia for about 7,000 years has developed the reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, which differs from caribou tending

wrong comparison between tendency and caribou.
being domesticated .... lacks clear referent

ask back if you have more questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
GMAT Date: 07-17-2015
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
I would go with A -- the other choices are just awkward/don't make sense :S If the OA is B, can you please share the source as well?

Edit: Looks like A is indeed right; sorry for not reading through the thread, I'm obviously going to bomb DS.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1485 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
sharshar84 wrote:
I would go with A -- the other choices are just awkward/don't make sense :S If the OA is B, can you please share the source as well?

Edit: Looks like A is indeed right; sorry for not reading through the thread, I'm obviously going to bomb DS.

OA is A, this is a GMATPrep question.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
(B) belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, which is different from caribou that tend

is seems that 7000 years of domesticatioon developed reinders tendecy ...
awkward meaning

7000 yers of domestication can't develop reinders tendesy :))
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6042 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
This is a great meaning based question if you don't understand the meaning you will pick the incorrect choices!

Meaning Analysis:

Caribou and reindeer belong to rangifer tarandus, but after 7000 years, reindeer have developed a new habit to move around in tight circles while caribou tend to spread far and wide.

Only A does this perfectly.

Option B says domestication have developed... Makes no sense

Option C same thing

Option D and E says both are same species

Though I have one question shouldn't it be Reindeer's have?

Can someone please clarify this. Thanks!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
(A) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but after 7,000 years
(B) belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about

Can somebody please explain when to put the comma and when to ditch it?
I am a bit confused when i comes to the usage of comma.

If the statement were a s stated above, what is the difference and which one to choose?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
ankurgupta03 wrote:

If the statement were a s stated above, what is the difference and which one to choose?

There is no enough evidence to choose between those two statements. Do not restrict your view on this question: B is not correct because suggests that "7,000 years have developed" (no sense).

(A) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus,
(B) belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus,

are the same; B uses a thing called appostive modifier: the part between the commas explains or/and identifies a preceding word, and to see if this is used correctly you can substitute the part between the commas into the word it refers to, like this

(B) belong to the same species Rangifer tarandus, : same as A.

So I would not base my choice on this.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1831 [0]
Given Kudos: 833
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Zarrlou, i understand the question and agree to the answer,

this was just a general doubt, which always lingers in my mind OR
this was just a general doubt which always lingers in my mind :)

Can you please suggest which of these is correct :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4891 [1]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:
Zarrlou, i understand the question and agree to the answer,

this was just a general doubt, which always lingers in my mind OR
this was just a general doubt which always lingers in my mind :)

Can you please suggest which of these is correct :)

Your examples are very different: do not get confused! In the above example there is no better answer.

In the above example, the modifier "explains" a word. Example

Caesar, the emperor of the Roman Empire, did something...

The modifier "explains" who Caesar was and must be placed between commas.

In this new example you are not "explaining" a word: you are not using an appostive modifier.

this was just a general doubt, which always lingers in my mind
The part after the comma does not explain what a doubt is. This is a complete different thing. To make this clearer an appostive modifier would make the sentence look like this
this was just a general doubt, a point about which noone is certain the next part explains what a doubt is.
this was just a general doubt which always lingers in my mind

In this new example you are using a which modifier, so it should be preceded by a comma.

Hope it's clear
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4324 [1]
Given Kudos: 197
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Kudos
ankurgupta03 wrote:

here it doesnt make any difference but i encountered a similar thing :

if you preface someone's name with a noun describing their occupation (or other word describing what that person does), WITHOUT AN ARTICLE, you DO NOT use a comma.

if there's an article, you DO use a comma.

if it's an adjective, you DO use a comma.

example:
Jazz pianist and composer Thelonious Monk ... --> correct
A jazz pianist and composer, Thelonious Monk ... --> correct
Creative and original, Thelonious Monk ... --> correct

hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
Boils down to A & B
In ‘B’ ‘domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency’ seems Eurasia have developed the tendency, But actually tendency was develop by reindeer itself, as intended in original sentence. Eliminate this.

So ' A' is correct in IMO
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 77
GPA: 3.4
Send PM