It is currently 22 Feb 2018, 03:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer ta [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 11:52
SaharKhan wrote:
In my experience NO, I have done quite a many exercises and vertical split always worked for me. If the first first word does not agree with the sentence construction, How can it be correct? Vertical splits help u eliminate redundant dysfunctional sentences where u might feel the need to dispose time locating the mistake.

When You read the question and u get the gist of what the subject and the verb are, post which u can eliminate the obvious errors for eg. :
The clothes is in the washing machine (BAD)
The clothes are in the washing machine(thumbs up)
The cloth are in the washing machine(BAD)
The cloth is in the washing machine(thumbs up)

Though I always believe you should read the sentences quickly once even if you've found the errors. won't take u more than 15-20 secs to reconfirm what you're doing is correct.

Thanks, trying to explain it to the best of my ability :P

Cheers!

Sahar

Hello Sahar,

Thanks for your help, you are genius. I tried to give it a go according to what you told me. I could solve most questions in around a minute! That's crazy! I have heard people doing it before but I was not confident enough to apply on it previously. Thanks so much for your help. Just for my reference, what did you do in your GMAT Verbal?

Cheers! Gordon

PS: If anyone want to share more thought about this, please say so! :-D
Intern
Intern
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer ta [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 12:01
Glad to be of help.
Yet to give the exam.
*fingers crossed*

All the best for GMAT! :D

Best,
Sahar
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2014, 23:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Gordon, the way to avoid trouble with an initial split is to eliminate only those answers that you know are wrong. Don't say "Well, I like the sound of this better than that, so I'll make the cut." For instance, perhaps you like "developed a tendency" better than "developed the reindeer's tendency," but can you be sure that that's enough to make B-E wrong? Not at all.

Start with splits that have a clear right answer (subject-verb or pronoun agreement, for instance), and save "I like this better" or "That sounds awkward" for when you are out of any better criteria for making your choice.

I often compare this process to shopping for a car. There's no right answer there, of course, but there can be better and worse places to start. If I say, "Hmm, I've never had an orange car before. I'll try that," I will immediately reduce my options substantially. But is color really what's most important to me? I might cut out some of my best options! Start with what's most important (I want a car with a working engine!) and then get to the more trivial decisions.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
GPA: 3.4

Show Tags

New post 28 Oct 2014, 12:53
DmitryFarber wrote:
Gordon, the way to avoid trouble with an initial split is to eliminate only those answers that you know are wrong. Don't say "Well, I like the sound of this better than that, so I'll make the cut." For instance, perhaps you like "developed a tendency" better than "developed the reindeer's tendency," but can you be sure that that's enough to make B-E wrong? Not at all.

Start with splits that have a clear right answer (subject-verb or pronoun agreement, for instance), and save "I like this better" or "That sounds awkward" for when you are out of any better criteria for making your choice.

I often compare this process to shopping for a car. There's no right answer there, of course, but there can be better and worse places to start. If I say, "Hmm, I've never had an orange car before. I'll try that," I will immediately reduce my options substantially. But is color really what's most important to me? I might cut out some of my best options! Start with what's most important (I want a car with a working engine!) and then get to the more trivial decisions.

Hello Dmitry, thanks for your help! I am looking for an expert post like this, and wow I get it! :-D Thanks for confirming the way to eliminate an answer. In my previous gmat, i only got a 29 in verbal because I used this method when I was in a hurry. I don't expect to score that low as most of my mocks were 720+. I am a bit worried using this method for my retake. Now I understand probably I was lack of practice and was too used to read the whole sentences again. After reading your comments, I am now confident on practising this method. Thanks again!

Gordon
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2015, 23:49
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Aug 2016, 07:36
Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but after 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia, reindeer have developed a tendency to circle in tight groups, while caribou tend to spread far and wide.

(A) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but after 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia, reindeer have developed a tendency to circle in tight groups, while caribou tend

(C) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but being domesticated in Eurasia for about 7,000 years has developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, and that is different from caribou tending
- can't use the pointing word 'that' (or 'this' or 'those' or 'these') by itself. you can only use these words as adjectives (that reason, these people) or as pronouns in constructions like 'that of...'

also wrong meaning

By ron
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE: Sales (Telecommunications)
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 01:00
Quite strange. I always thought that "deer" is singular and "deers" is plural. So was surprised that A is correct. May be there is a typo and should be "deers"?

"Are you gangsters?" - "No we are Russians!"

Board of Directors
V
Concentration: Healthcare, Technology
GPA: 3.65
WE: Information Technology (Health Care)
Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 01:12
Konstantin1983 wrote:
Quite strange. I always thought that "deer" is singular and "deers" is plural. So was surprised that A is correct. May be there is a typo and should be "deers"?

Correct, but this is what oxford says

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/defin ... h/reindeer

It could be in any way.

How I improved from V21 to V40! ?

How to use this forum in THE BEST way?

Director
Director
G
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
Schools: HBS '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 4
WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 07 Sep 2017, 06:23
In B and C, it seems that both animals have developed the reindeer's tendency. B fails to clearly distinguish caribou from reindeer behavior.

D states that '7000 years of domestication have developed reindeer's tendency'. A is more logical; the reindeer have devloped a tendency.

E states that 'being domesticated has developed the reindeer's tendency'. Again, it is more logical to state that the reindeer haver developed a tendency. The subject phrase 'being domesticated' is illogical.

D & E are a bit awkward in stating that caribou and reindeer are the same species (rather than that they belong to the same species). However I don't think this is grammatically incorrect.

The answer is A.

Thanks & Regards,
Anaira Mitch

Verbal Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Kelley '20, ISB '19
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 10:00
Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but after 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia, reindeer have developed a tendency to circle in tight groups, while caribou tend to spread far and wide.

(A) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but after 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia, reindeer have developed a tendency to circle in tight groups, while caribou tend - Correct

(B) belong to the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, which is different from caribou that tend - usage of which ; faulty comparison between tendency and caribou

(C) belong to the species Rangifer tarandus, but being domesticated in Eurasia for about 7,000 years has developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, and that is different from caribou tending - demonstrative pronouns without noun. you can only use these words as adjectives (that reason, these people) or as pronouns in constructions like 'that of...' ; faulty parallelism between tendency and caribou

(D) are the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but about 7,000 years of domestication in Eurasia have developed reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, while the tendency is for caribou -same issue with ARE vs. 'belong to' ; idiomatic usage problem with 'the tendency is for...': proper usage is 'X has a tendency to VERB'

(E) are the same species, Rangifer tarandus, but being domesticated in Eurasia for about 7,000 years has developed the reindeer's tendency to circle in tight groups, which differs from caribou tending - ARE the same species isn't acceptable ; usage of which to refer to tight groups ; bad parallelism between tendency and caribou

Answer A

When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it. - Henry Ford
The Moment You Think About Giving Up, Think Of The Reason Why You Held On So Long
+1 Kudos if you find this post helpful

Intern
Intern
B
WE: Brand Management (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2017, 10:35
"Are the same species" changes the meaning and awkward. Eliminate D & E.
But being domesticated is incorrect in C. Eliminate. Also it means domestication has developed tendency, again wrong.
But about in B as well as have as a wrong S-V helps in eliminating the choice.
A is correct due to perfect position of Nouns to describe & compare the two animals and at the same time uses correct idiom.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum
Re: Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran   [#permalink] 08 Sep 2017, 10:35

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 31 posts ] 

Both the caribou and the reindeer belong to the species Rangifer taran

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap