Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 14:08 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 14:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Retired Thread Master
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [3]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 680 Q42 V41
GMAT 3: 700 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.55
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Bringing my dog to business school [#permalink]
Kudos
gablaze23 wrote:
Anybody here bringing their dog along with them to b-school?

I can leave my dog at my mom's house, but I prefer to bring him along with me.

He will require 20 minute walks at least once a day, preferably two walks a day. I was wondering whether any of you have thought about the same thing, or whether anybody here has classmates who brought their dogs to school. Maybe there are student groups who take turns in walking their puppies?
I am just worried I might be too busy to talk him.

I am worried that you are trying to talk to him :lol: !

Sorry I couldn't resist. Congrats on the admit!
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1227 [1]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools:University of Virginia
Send PM
Kudos
Gonna bring back an old thread, since it's so relevant to me.

I am a first-year Darden student and I have a dog with me in Charlottesville. I brought him over from Los Angeles on a 2,800-mile roadtrip. He's a 80-pound German Shepherd and by no means do I hate him, but he's absolutely annoying. Now that I got that out of the way, time to elaborate a bit. He's actually not annoying, but my busy-ness is annoying me, and add on top of that with a dog that needs walking and potty-break, it's easy for me to pin it on him. Just to echo what other folks have said, you're truly not going to be stuck in class for 10 hours straight everyday (any school that does that, you should reconsider). With that said, it's going to be a hassle having to go back to your apartment to take care of your dog and then go back to school. Is it doable? It certainly is. It's simply another 'responsibility' that you'd have to think about. For interviews (flying to somewhere else for final round interviews), you can easily find someone to take care of your dog or board it, but summer internship will be a bit tougher. I'm not going to go into the nitty-gritty detail on everything, but know that it's doable if this is what you want. I'll be more than happy to discuss more of my experience with you offline if you choose to, just send me a msg and we can connect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
donnawhite wrote:
elitebag wrote:
It is not convenient to take dog to school.It is better to keep at home .

I also think so, here is no work of dog at college and also it is difficult to study with concentration with a dog.

Good point, who wants to buy my (slightly used) dog?
<-----

Honestly... if you have a dog, how could you not bring them?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
RyanCJW wrote:
We're going to be getting a dog as soon as I get into business school!

At our current apartment, we cannot have a dog and my wife and I have wanted a dog since we moved in together, so we decided that the apartment we get in the city where we end up must allow us to have a dog.

Especially if we're moving to a new city. I have a few friends out in Seattle already (if I get into UW next year) and my brother might be in Dallas next year (close enough to UT Austin, well closer than him being in NJ and me in TX), but the other places would be pretty much my wife and I. So I think it would be nice to have another member of the family to experience that part of our lives with!

Just FYI, if you go to BU, finding a dog friendly apartment in Boston is tough but possible. Also, if you decide to get a little guy before you move, DO NOT get a dog over 25lbs, your choices are close to zero at that point.

Good Luck!
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
I went to Wharton and brought my 180 pound Great Dane with me. He was the unofficial mascot of the school and everybody loved him. A side benefit was that I was able to keep a regular exercise schedule as he required at least a 30 minute run each day. Also, a group of fellow Wharton dog owners formed a play group and we would meet up a few times a week and watched each others pets when we had to travel. A side benefit is that many of these people became my best friends.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring &amp; Distressed M&amp;A
Send PM
I had a dog throughout business school. Dog (12lb) was walked 3 times a day on weekends (when I was around) and twice a day during weekdays. It helped that I only lived within 15 min walking distance from the school campus. Plus, I bought him a peepee pad for the first time since he was a puppy. All in all, if you don't abandon the dog for more than 7-8 hr straight, you should be fine. Also, if the dog happens to be cute, there were plenty of classmates who were willing to dog-sit....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
gablaze23 wrote:
Anybody here bringing their dog along with them to b-school?

I can leave my dog at my mom's house, but I prefer to bring him along with me.

He will require 20 minute walks at least once a day, preferably two walks a day. I was wondering whether any of you have thought about the same thing, or whether anybody here has classmates who brought their dogs to school. Maybe there are student groups who take turns in walking their puppies?

I am just worried I might be too busy to take care of him.

I guess that would depend where you are going to school. If you go to school at Columbia or Stern, then it might be a pain finding an apartment. If you are in places such as Cornell or say Duke and plan on living off campus, it might work out just fine...

Since I started preparing my GMAT, I think I have worried more about the separation than the exam, essays or the career move.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
It is not convenient to take dog to school.It is better to keep at home .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I had a dog at Kellogg and had a lot of friends who had dogs. However, the vast majority of dog owners are also couples. Honestly, I had more time for my dog at school than while working. Your schedule is fairly flexible and most days you aren't stuck at school 10 hours straight. As long as you live within walking distance of school it is very doable. Housing can be challenging but it is possible to find places pretty much anywhere.

The difficulty comes during trips and internship. For trips you can usually find a dog sitter or board them. You internship is the only real challenge since it is two or three months.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
I definitely think it's possible. I feel that b-school schedules can be much more flexible than working, allowing you to fit in time for the dog.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Anyone planning to bring a cat to business school? :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
ls413 wrote:
Anyone planning to bring a cat to business school? :)

Probably. I've got two but they're on the other side of the country (from where I plan to attend school) with my sister while I'm out of the country now. Not sure if I'll have a chance to get them back before I start school. Every time I've moved, I've taken them (by car) across the country, sometimes as much as 20+ hours. It is a such a pain. When I haven't lived near family, I've had trouble finding reasonably-priced boarding. Cats do fine for a weekend alone, but to prepare for any 1 or 2 week long trips, this time I'm making it a priority to find a pet-sitter or dog-walker in my building that would be willing to just come in and change food/litter once a day for a fair price.

On the other note, I would think having a dog would be a great way to take walks and have some sort regular exercise. Then again, I've never owned a dog so I probably underestimate the amount of attention they need. Echoing what others have said, pets are easier with a couple.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Sales (Manufacturing)
Send PM