Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 09:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:23
Hi there!

I graduated undergrad from a school that calculates GPA based on a 12-point scale. (i.e. 12=A+, 11=A, 10=A-, 9=B+, and so on). What's the best (most accurate) way for me to convert my GPA into a 4.0-scale benchmark that the adcoms are looking for? Is there a universally accepted way to do so that won't get me in trouble?

Thanks!
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 07:57
Committees are familiar with the international GPA variances and in most cases you will not need to change your GPA to the American standards. Check with all the schools you're applying to before going through the trouble.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Manager
Manager
Schools: Duke (R1-int/WL), UCLA (R1), Haas (R2-int/WL-ding), Cornell - R3 (Accepted with $$), , Darden Class of 2013 (R2)
WE 1: 4 years non profit management
WE 2: 2 years real estate
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 09:50
cwhs wrote:
Committees are familiar with the international GPA variances and in most cases you will not need to change your GPA to the American standards. Check with all the schools you're applying to before going through the trouble.

That's true, no need to convert. On the application you'll fill your grade and your own scale (i.e. 100 or 12 in your case).
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 33

Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 11:32
MBAIsrael wrote:
cwhs wrote:

That's true, no need to convert. On the application you'll fill your grade and your own scale (i.e. 100 or 12 in your case).

Is 100 used for percentage? I mean we don't have GPA at all, only percentage. Even though my rank in the class was pretty high, and in percentage terms it's pretty remarkable to have around 80% but in 4 point GPA terms it's not even going to meet 3. I know how hard it is to get the percentage, even the topper at my college get around 84 or something, so even he will be below 3, does anyone know how do they interpret percentages?

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Current Student
Schools: Stern '13
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 16

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 17 Jun 2011, 12:25
sgupta0827 wrote:
MBAIsrael wrote:
cwhs wrote:

Is 100 used for percentage? I mean we don't have GPA at all, only percentage. Even though my rank in the class was pretty high, and in percentage terms it's pretty remarkable to have around 80% but in 4 point GPA terms it's not even going to meet 3. I know how hard it is to get the percentage, even the topper at my college get around 84 or something, so even he will be below 3, does anyone know how do they interpret percentages?

Again... Don't worry about it. Schools know that in some countries it's nearly impossible to get an A. If you are from one of those places they will know that what would be considered a B in the US is a solid A in country X.

Like the response? Kudos it!

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale? [#permalink] New post 09 Apr 2013, 22:25
Don't try to non-4.0 scale international GPA variances. very country has some standards and grads to evaluate something. Same as you can not change standards of other countries.

Hanging Scales

Re: Calculating GPA from a non-4.0 scale?   [#permalink] 09 Apr 2013, 22:25