Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [6]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [3]
Given Kudos: 49
Concentration: Operations, Statistics
Schools: Ross (Michigan) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.31
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Tepper 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
aleboughton wrote:
Hi guys! Anybody knows at what time Tepper will start sending decision emails? Do they send financial support or scholarship information the same day?

It's the last decision I'm waiting for, I already have admits and partial scholarships from McCombs and Ross. I'm dying to know and make a decision. What do you guys say in McCombs Vs Ross Vs Tepper? I'm interested in entrepreneurship and social entreprise.

I can only comment on Ross vs Tepper throw down. I'd vote Ross for those two.

I know, i know, I haven't decided yet but i'm interested in operations, management science, and to a lesser extend consulting.

Tepper beats Ross in Ops and Management science but I think the brand of Ross is stronger than Tepper.

I like the smaller class size of Tepper for my money to be honest. I think you would probably get more attention and help to find your direction.

Ross is a great general management program with a lot to offer but it is bigger and you have to figure it out for yourself. More companies recruit at Ross which could help you find a job easier or get lost chasing everything that sounds interesting.

Ross has a greater focus on leadership training and communication (although Tepper just added it to the new Curriculum for the 2014 class)

I am not suggesting big class sizes equates to less attention or help but since I am considering these schools I am taking it to that level!

Method Care to Ad here?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [3]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.34
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Kudos
sandycool wrote:
Has anyone have got the mail :!:

Folks, we have all been waiting for our decision for a while. It’s been excruciating. To give some advice from experience, try to get away from work tomorrow. If you have to work, try to get outside and enjoy the day. There is nothing we can do at this point. We’ve all put our best foot forward with adcom and it’s in adcom’s hands. Pray if you’re religious. If not, do some yoga or find some peace somehow.

I appreciate all of the posts on this thread. I am sure that we are all qualified to get the admit, and I am hopeful that we all will. For those of us who don’t, life will go on. And if it doesn’t happen for us, we can make a great plan to reach our goals next time. That’s the great thing about the b-school process, there’s always another battle to fight as long as we’re up for it. And the all-stars on this site will ALWAYS be up for it!

Best luck to all,

zosobc
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 43 [2]
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Schools: CMU (Tepper) - Class of 2013
GPA: 3.05
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone, the new salary and placement statistics, featuring the class of 2011 (and the internship stats of the class of 2012) have been released:

https://tepper.cmu.edu/mba/your-career/s ... index.aspx

Here are some highlights:
Mean base salary: $101,150.18
Mean signing bonus (78.66% of accepts received signing bonus): $20,977.04

Percentage reporting job offer within three months of graduation: 91.01%
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
The overall experience was good. But I am not sure how to judge the interview. As they were all general questions asked to everybody, I couldn't tell if it went well or not. She was smiling and seemed quite happy with my responses if that means anything.
And yes she did ask me for details when I answered something. I talked about a community service activity for leadership experience and she asked me some details. I also had a few things on my resume that she asked about.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [2]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
thereddevil wrote:
Not too hopeful of a positive response from Tepper :(

Hey man, if you're not in, then no one's getting in :-D International, killer GMAT and Q score, tech background and MBA concentration.

12 days to go, we're almost therrreeeee!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Kudos
Yay for getting R2 apps in! I just wanted to post a word of encouragement regarding the interview invite wait.

Don't be discouraged if you don't get an interview invite as soon as others! I was really surprised when two people posted that they received an interview invite only 5 days after R1 deadline (good for you guys!). And then I was a little disappointed and started questioning my app. But thanks to the encouragement of current students on the thread...and also from reading the 2011 thread, I see how invites really do come out in an almost constant trickle.

I got my invite about 2-3 (closer to 3, I think) weeks after the R1 deadline. Interviewed and got accepted with $$.

So hang in there, and best of luck!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
got invited for interview!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
method wrote:
Thanks, it's getting real close! A lot hinges on next week's Ross result + any Consortium fellowship decision (fingers crossed), but I'm thrilled that my family has Pittsburgh lined up. My wife got the admit she needed at Pitt, and now CMU is locked and loaded!

Also, it's been quiet here in the thread, but I'm eager to see some more Tepper admits soon. :-D With your defection to Sloan, and explorer still wrestling over his decision, we need some more greenies!

hahah, yeah where is everyone else?? :?

GOOD LUCK with Ross and the fellowship decision!!!! You're going to have some great options. That's also awesome news about your wife's acceptance as well. A smart family indeed :wink:
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
explorer21 wrote:
method wrote:
Thanks, it's getting real close! A lot hinges on next week's Ross result + any Consortium fellowship decision (fingers crossed), but I'm thrilled that my family has Pittsburgh lined up. My wife got the admit she needed at Pitt, and now CMU is locked and loaded!

Also, it's been quiet here in the thread, but I'm eager to see some more Tepper admits soon. :-D With your defection to Sloan, and explorer still wrestling over his decision, we need some more greenies!

haha purpleshirt's defection... classic.

every time I think I've decide I change my mind. What is a greeny (assuming ies is the plural form of greeny)?

and where are my manners! Congrats all around, to the wife and you. Good luck next week!

Greenies referring to the profile colors! Hopefully we get some more turning green here soon. :-D

And thanks! I get more excited about Tepper by the day. I just found out about the operations class that partners with AT Kearney to find real life consulting projects (it's so MAP haha). It seems that I'm always finding new trinkets about the school, so it doesn't surprise me that you're still weighing the two -- it's a good problem to have haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Got my interview invite today, looks like I'll be flying in to check out the school at the same time.
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
Well, things went better than I could have ever imagined with Ross, so I have officially withdrawn from Tepper. Hopefully that will open 1 more spot for R2 decisions. I'm sad to let it go because my experiences with the entire community were amazing.

Good luck again to everyone this week. I wish you all the very, very best!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
great post explorer, as always. kudos

Just to add my thoughts about Tepper (did not apply to Ross or McCombs). When I visited and spoke with current students, there was a general hesitancy about the effectiveness of the career center. "They're helpful...but..." sort of thing.

I'm not sure how they fare in entrep/social entreprise but I feel that Ross has the upperhand in terms of reputation, resources, and class diversity. You'll find more people with similar interests...or diverse but complementary...to help you out.

Re decision emails and financial support, I got my R1 email around 3pm on decision day. Financial info is included.

And since you have admits/$$ from other schools, do not be afraid to NEGOTIATE - it works if you can make a good argument. They gave me a 50% increase in my scholarship money after a few friendly emails.

GOOD LUCK!
Director
Director
Send PM
Kudos
explorer21 wrote:
Method Care to Ad here?

Sure, I think a lot of your points are spot on. I haven't heard anything that purpleshirt's heard about the career center, so I can't comment much on that. My job search was always going to be self-initiated, so I never looked into it.

I think entrepreneurship is a huge bucket. If you have a really solid idea, it might depend what your idea is centered on or how it's delivered. CMU is (obviously) a big time computer science and engineering school, and offers the James Schwartz fellowship which will place you with an existing startup or tech company. There's also a program that will fund you working on a startup over the summer at CMU, but its name escapes me at the moment. I did get a sense of, and bought into, Tepper's connections to the Bay Area. McCombs owns Austin, which has been and continues to be a massive launching pad for tech startups. Ross has Zell Lurie and a lot of funding challenges and incubation space through TechArb. Plus, it's one of the strongest universities in the world across the board, so if you are looking for partners in non-tech spaces, it might be a more attractive option. Ross also seems to have a ton of alumni on the west coast, but U of M has a ton of alumni everywhere -- lets be honest lol.

Social enterprise is also another huge bucket. For the things I want to do, which revolve around public service through governmental and nonprofit organizations, the interdepartmental institutes at Michigan are AMAZING. But if you define social enterprise as a for-profit business that makes its money by solving/improving a social problem, then you're sort of back in the general entrepreneurship bucket really. Ross has the Social Venture Fund, so you can get an inside look at how investors conduct due diligence and choose social investments. CMU doesn't have a huge social rep, but obviously I was willing to go there. Heinz College has a lot of DC-type connections, and is regarded as one of the top public policy and management schools in the country.

Again, it may depend a lot on what specific ideas you seem to come up with. Are they tangible, engineered products? Are they software based? Is it more service delivery? But this is all just to begin splitting hairs and finding a few relative advantages. Ultimately, you will be able to pursue your goals at any of those schools.

Originally posted by method on 15 Mar 2012, 10:28.
Last edited by method on 15 Mar 2012, 10:34, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Emory (Goizueta) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Kudos
chethanjs wrote:
I had couple of questions:

1) My undergrad (India) does not have a GPA system of evaluation, how does CMU compare me against those with GPA system of education?

2) I know for those who interviewed can have one of the these decisions today: Admitted,Wailisted,Denied. However for those who haven't had an interview is "Denied" an inevitable update on their application? I deduce because "Admitted" status is ruled out, it doesnt make sense to get "Waitlisted" without an interview so the only possiblity is "Denied". Does my logic makes sense?

Thank you.

1) Yes, they have to, as it wouldn't make sense to only compare you to your fellow countrymen. But, they have years of experience evaluating candidates from many countries. They likely have a rigid process in place to evaluate grades provided by your university.

2) I cant tell about Tepper in particular, but from what I've seen in other colleges, there have been people waitlisted without interview and then later interviewed along with candidates from a later round. So don't rule anything out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
purpleshirt wrote:
sarahmarkels wrote:
Could you imagine if all the schools released the decision on the same day and only in email? I wonder if we would all take gmail down.

You mean like on MATCH DAY (residencies for med students)? :-D which is also today!! I am always astonished by how the match system works. Anyone else with friends matching today????

Yes, my FB wall is littered with announcements of where people are going! At UCSD (where a lot of my friends are), they have a morning event where they invite loved ones, etc and they all open the envelope together.

On another note, I got into Tepper (with Forte)! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
in with $! excited!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hi pyarapopat,

I would go for standard fonts like Times New Roman / Arial and font size of 12.

Thanks,
AR
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts