Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all CMU (Tepper) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I am in. But honestly, I am still to do a lot of research on Tepper. I am right now focusing on writing essays for my Top 2 schools, where applying in Round 1. Have you scheduled you interview at Tepper. They have a self initiative interview.
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
I am in. But honestly, I am still to do a lot of research on Tepper. I am right now focusing on writing essays for my Top 2 schools, where applying in Round 1. Have you scheduled you interview at Tepper. They have a self initiative interview.

Yes I know. You seem to be an Indian.. Mind sharing your profile?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Yes, unfortunately (but just for MBA apps) I am Indian. Here is my profile, copying from 2009 applicant thread

Program: MBA FT

Area of interest in MBA : Management Consulting (general/strategy) in Retail/Consumer Goods industry.

GMAT: 720 (95%), Q49 (89%) /V38 (89%), AWA 5.0.

GPA: First Class in Electronics Engineering (BE) from an 'A' rated college in Univ of Mumbai, India

Work experience(WE): Worked with an Indian Software conglomerate for more than 4 yrs. Out of these 4 years, spent 20 months at client locations in US. Later joined a mid size Retail Solutions firm in US and have been working in US for last 16 months. Total 6.5 yrs exp at matriculation.

Nationality: Indian

Extra-curriculars/community: Organized Cultural festivals/events in local community , in college part of networker group, which was responsible for building and maintaining Internet lab in college, only CCNA certified student while in college

Schools applied to:

School 1: Tuck ED

School 2: Ross R1

School 3: Duke R1

School 4: Tepper R1

School 5: UNC R2

School 6: Georgetown R2

School 7: ISB R2
Current Student
Send PM
Pretty good... Seems like just you and me here so far..

I expect a large number of Indian IT crowd to apply to CMU. An observation of the CMU class of 160-180 shows that there normally take around 15 indians..

A very tough competition for people from our category..

Have you talked to any students at CMU? I have a phone call scheduled with a student this weekend. If you have any questions, let me know.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:

I expect a large number of Indian IT crowd to apply to CMU. An observation of the CMU class of 160-180 shows that there normally take around 15 indians..

Have you talked to any students at CMU? I have a phone call scheduled with a student this weekend. If you have any questions, let me know.

Honestly. you put me on the backfoot my giving those numbers..But when you see them in black and white you realize, how tough it actually is since we come from one of the most populous nations.

Thanks for the offer. I haven't yet spoken to anyone from Tepper as I was so busy writing essays for Tuck for the last 3 weeks. But in the next couple of weeks, I want to speak to as many students as I can. How did you get the link with the student, from Tepper website ? Well, a few things I was curious about Tepper :
1) assimilation of international students there ?
2) any swimming or water sports clubs ?
3) are international internship programs available ? In India ?
4) Any Retail/Consumer Goods clubs that they have ?

I hope more people join this thread...I wonder why no one has till now..Are there so few applying to Tepper this year ?? :) ..I mean look at Tuck and Ross threads..They have gone more than 5 pages already...

Let us know details of you talk..Will wait eagerly ...Thanks !
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
 Q51  V39
Send PM
I'm a current 1st year student at Tepper, and I would have to say that the Indian population here at Tepper is definately much more than 15 people, it seems more like double that number if not more. Of course that may just be the current 1st years.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
I'm applying for R1 this Fall. I'm interested in the Entrepreneurship concentration. Worried about my quant numbers, though... I've heard Tepper is very big on quantitative coursework.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
ChristianW wrote:
I'm a current 1st year student at Tepper, and I would have to say that the Indian population here at Tepper is definately much more than 15 people, it seems more like double that number if not more. Of course that may just be the current 1st years.

Thanks Christian. As an Indian, more than the number of Indian students, I will be looking at diversity. I mean its definitely good to be around people of your nationality and nothing against that, but in a MBA class, a diverse class will be a better learning experience for me. Thats one aspect which doesn't attract me to Indian schools, where 95% or more will be Indians. ISB, in my opinion, is an exception as they are making great efforts in internationalizing their course by having exchange programs with Duke, Wharton, Kelloggs. I was more interested in knowing how Indians and international students in general mix in the school culture ? I have observed sometimes, at least Indians, move around in flocks or just socialize with fellow Indians. And that does not appeal to me at all.

I was also interested to know whether Tepper have anything for Retail and Consumer Goods industry ? I mean any clubs, initiatives, programs, electives in this field ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:

Hey Aakash, Can you update us on how was your talk with CMU student ?
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Yes I talked to the Tepper student and I stand corrected about the number of Indians in the class. However, he mentioned that last year was an anomaly.

Here are the answers to your questions
:
1) assimilation of international students there ? - Very well assimilated. Once in school, there is no difference whether you are indian or american..
2) any swimming or water sports clubs ? No. However, you can start one if you find enough like minded people. The person I talked to himself started a volleyball club.
3) are international internship programs available ? In India ? - Yes. Many people got a chance to take international internships.
4) Any Retail/Consumer Goods clubs that they have ? No. There exists an operations club that takes care of retail related stuff. He asked us to go thru the club list on the website and contact the club coordinators.

The person I talked to was very calm and he answered all my questions very patiently and in detail. I am very impressed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Yes I talked to the Tepper student and I stand corrected about the number of Indians in the class. However, he mentioned that last year was an anomaly.

Here are the answers to your questions
:
1) assimilation of international students there ? - Very well assimilated. Once in school, there is no difference whether you are indian or american..
2) any swimming or water sports clubs ? No. However, you can start one if you find enough like minded people. The person I talked to himself started a volleyball club.
3) are international internship programs available ? In India ? - Yes. Many people got a chance to take international internships.
4) Any Retail/Consumer Goods clubs that they have ? No. There exists an operations club that takes care of retail related stuff. He asked us to go thru the club list on the website and contact the club coordinators.

The person I talked to was very calm and he answered all my questions very patiently and in detail. I am very impressed.

Thanks a lot Aakash...I really appreciate that you could ask my questions during you talk. I will certainly take a look at the list of clubs on their website.

Are you scheduling Tepper interview ? I haven't yet scheduled myself. Right now, I have only scheduled for the schools which mandate a self initiated one. Out of the schools that I am applying, its Tuck..And since Tuck is my best school and since I don't want to interview with my best school the very first time, I scheduled Georgetown before Tuck, although Georgetown did not have a mandatory interview.
Current Student
Send PM
No. I haven't scheduled any interviews yet. Most of the schools I am applying to have invite only interviews.

Its nice to see that you are interested in Retail as well. I currently work in retail IT and want to move to retail business side in the long term.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
No. I haven't scheduled any interviews yet. Most of the schools I am applying to have invite only interviews.

Its nice to see that you are interested in Retail as well. I currently work in retail IT and want to move to retail business side in the long term.

Wow..Co incident or what ? I work in a Retail Solutions firm and want to move to Retail business after my MBA . Tepper, Tuck and Ross (your schools, too right ? ) are going to have two almost similar profiles. How are you planning to your transition ? Entrepreneurship ? GM ? Consultancy ? I plan on taking Consultancy route.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
aakashganga wrote:

Wow..Co incidence or what ? I work in a Retail Solutions firm and want to move to Retail business after my MBA . Tepper, Tuck and Ross (your schools, too right ? ) are going to have two almost similar profiles :-D How are you planning on your transition from IT to business ? Entrepreneurship ? GM ? Consultancy ? I plan on entering in Strategy Consultancy.

Originally posted by rgajare14 on 10 Sep 2008, 19:10.
Last edited by rgajare14 on 17 Sep 2008, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Send PM
operations consulting..
Current Student
Schools:Ross, Johnson, Tepper, Fisher
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Just an FYI there is a chat with the Tepper Admissions folks online tonight at 9:00 EST. Also I am in for round one. Haven't scheduled an interview yet or anything but am planning on doing so in Chicago when they come through.

GPA: 3.25 Decent State School BSBA with a specialization in Supply Chain Management
GMAT: 710 49 Q 38V
Nationality: Caucasian, Good Ole USA
After MBA: Consulting for a while to gain some experience and then to my passion... Operations

Obviously this is a limited view of me but I am hoping to compete for some scholarship money at Tepper. Best of luck to all!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Does it look bad if interview is scheduled after submitting app? I am not getting dates in between October 13th - October 28th(OCt 27th is the app deadline).
Only Interview is available these days but not campus visit. Otherwise i need to go 2 times one for visit and one for interview. With other schools pending, i have to rush into interviews without full preparation if i have to do before October 13th. Any suggestions? Did anyone already scheduled the interview?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10