Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: Q V
GMAT 2: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE: Corporate Finance (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 157

Kudos [?]: 527 [1] , given: 529

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2011, 06:22
This post received
KUDOS
ACD wrote:
I received the call last night around 8pm EST. I have been admitted into the J-term 2012 program. Life is good!!! I feel very fortunate to have this opportunity.

My advice is to be prepared for your interview. I think that is what solidified my spot in the class.

Good luck to the rest of you out there!!!!

congs!!!!

dude, please enrolll yourself in J-term roll-call list.

Follow me, if you find my explanations useful.

Audaces fortuna juvat!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 08:58
This post received
KUDOS
Win! Just like CBS I like to have some "diversity"... a few more 'non-male' applicants.. please.

edited post to encompass you too fudge!

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 09:22
This post received
KUDOS
ajk9999 wrote:
How were you are notified about your interview request? Was it by email that your status had changed or was it a call?

It's usually 2 emails - one that your status has changed, and another inviting you to interview. The status change one is first, and for me the 2nd followed about 3hrs later.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: CBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 720 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.74
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 28

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 10:17
This post received
KUDOS
Just finished my interview, I thought it went well my interviewer was pretty friendly and laid back. Less questions then MDF got but I think he might just forgotten to ask some of them. The ones that were asked were all on his list. Now the wait for a decision!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.86

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2011, 12:22
This post received
KUDOS
rahul1089 wrote:
Hey All,

I'm new to this section of the forum.

It seems like some members have gone from app submission to acceptance in less than a month (and some have gone from app submission to interview in 2-5 days). Given that we're coming to the end of Sep and the close of the ED window, do you expect this pace to continue? Wondering what fellow GC members thought?

I submitted my app yesterday (9/20). It went into "being prepared for review" status early this morning. Now my heart starts racing everytime I receive a new email!

Timeline thoughts for end-september ED applicants?

http://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... aontheroad

Adcom will not be holding away sessions from 9/28 - 10/13. So for sure they will be busy cranking away at them. Though surely application volume is also spiking at that time.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2011, 09:55
This post received
KUDOS
check out wall street oasis if u wanna know about breaking into IBD -- i really dont think going into IBD is the absolute toughest thing to do (as opposed to maybe consulting being harder) as they dont care TOO much about your experience before, just that you have the intellectual acumen and desire to work ridic hours. that being said, im looking for equity research for buy side and possibly consulting for a better work life balance :)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GPA: 2.86

Kudos [?]: 15 [1] , given: 9

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 13:04
This post received
KUDOS
losttraveler wrote:
HAHA the dread of getting an email after your status is complete :P My work email is the one I used on my application so I was kind of stupid there and wanted to punch myself in the face for making such a dumb mistake.

The whole "deferred" thing is something I was dreading and I'm sorry to hear it cunit... I knew if I got that I would have to work on other applications just to potentially find out down the road that I was in... the only good thing I do have to say is that it's not a ding and you don't have to fork the 6K deposit if you get admitted!

Thanks LT, but this is one time I would be glad to fork over $6K!

I'm really giving up hope right now as i've poured my heart/soul into this app. Really nothing more I can give to this thing as i'm a reapplicant and thought I did everything I could. At least I can confidently say that i'm the first CBS deferred applicant! Maybe I can threadmaster that one ha.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE: Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 13:24
This post received
KUDOS
Interview!!!

Posted from my mobile device Image

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
GPA: 3.6

Kudos [?]: 10 [1] , given: 2

Reviews Badge
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2011, 16:21
This post received
KUDOS
INTERVIEW!!!

i got my invitation the day after my recommenders submitted their letters. so surprised!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 76 [1] , given: 27

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 07:09
This post received
KUDOS
rahul1089 wrote:
Hey all,

couple of questions:

1. Regarding the interview call - do you automatically have a higher chance of being called for an interview if you're in/near NYC? Columbias website says that a call for interview can be made at any time (regardless of where they are in the acceptance process). Is that really true?

2. Regarding the alumni-choice process - do they change the status and immediately send you a list of 8-9 alums to choose from in your area? Or do you search by zipcode? I might be traveling the next few weeks (of all places, to NYC) for work, and I'm almost considering telling the adcom that I'll be in the area so they don't have to look for an alum in my area.

Thoughts?

Oh and another thing - I definitely think this forum is unhealthy for me...lol. It's the last thing I saw before going to bed, and first thing when I woke up.

1.) It doesn't matter where you live. Even if you're in NYC you're still asked to interview with an alum (opposed to the adcom)

2.) With the alumni selection process for the interview, you enter your zip code or city/state and it provides you with a maximum of 3 alum in that area. If you can't get a hold of those 3 alumni, you can search again using the exact same or a different zip code/city. Once you search again it will provide you with 3 more names to contact.

The tricky thing for you, and one thing that is kind of confusing, is that you can only search a maximum of three times. Once you've searched 3 times, 9 names will be displayed, and the system won't let you search anymore. I suppose the reason for this is so that applicants can't keep refreshing the search and be picky with whom they interview with.

But just be forewarned about that. You only get three shots at searching. So if you're traveling, be 100% certain that you'll be in the cities you're searching for and will have time to interview while there. I didn't realize this when I was searching for an alum to interview with and I accidentally wasted 2 of my searches for cities that didn't end up working out in my travel schedule.

(I hope that makes sense!)

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
WE: Investment Banking (Investment Banking)

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 7

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2011, 20:14
This post received
KUDOS
losttraveler wrote:
Fudge.. get it right.. please. I said, in a prior post which can be referenced, I want "some of the attractive (10% of female population so only about 3-4% of entire class) females in my cluster/class". What's wrong with that? Do you want to be the "princess" (thanks for that verbiage) amongst a bunch of subpar guys... or wouldn't you rather there be at least a few "lookers" if your stuck working with these people in close quarters for hours on end during the first semester :P. Point proven, enroll in same cluster as me, thanks! NEXT!

Point taken, I want the lookers in my cluster too.. hahaha..
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2011, 12:23
This post received
KUDOS
Finally got the interview invite!!
App went under review - sep15
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
Schools: Johnson '14 (A)
GMAT 1: Q48 V34
GPA: 3.34

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 2

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
ksk80 wrote:

How did you guys get the interview call? By email or by phone??
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2011, 06:21
This post received
KUDOS
gjaligama wrote:
ksk80 wrote:

How did you guys get the interview call? By email or by phone??

Congrats!!

I got it via Email. I think email is standard.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2011, 05:59
This post received
KUDOS
I agree that the more specific the better.

But anyway my question was way more stupid: What I really meant was: 12pt Times new roman? double spaced? Most schools have this requirement…. I didn't see any such requirement at CBS.
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 41 [1] , given: 6

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 05:21
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Hi everyone!

I submitted last Thursday, and my recommenders did the same yesterday. However, my status is still "incomplete". Am I supposed to do anything else?

Thank you!

Etreus

The school is probably missing something they need for you application such as transcripts or gmat scores. I would make sure you submitted everything and had an official gmat score sent over. If you are not sure, you may want to call and see what is missing. The deadline for ED is tomorrow and you would not want to fall out if you can help it.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 05:35
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
Hi everyone!

I submitted last Thursday, and my recommenders did the same yesterday. However, my status is still "incomplete". Am I supposed to do anything else?

Thank you!

Etreus

If the recommendations show up as submitted on the website, and you can't tell what may be missing, you should probably contact admissions and they will tell you.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Real Estate, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
GMAT 2: Q V

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 16

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 13:42
This post received
KUDOS
Etreus wrote:
rgupta83 wrote:
Etreus wrote:
Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Etreus

The school is probably missing something they need for you application such as transcripts or gmat scores. I would make sure you submitted everything and had an official gmat score sent over. If you are not sure, you may want to call and see what is missing. The deadline for ED is tomorrow and you would not want to fall out if you can help it.

I've just called the Admission Office and been told that it takes a little bit to update from "incomplete" to "whatever status is the next".

I'd like to know if anyone has had the same status for a while after the submission of application and LOR's.

Thank you!

Many on this forum had this issue (you can read a few pages back) and it typically resolved in a day or two. Nothing for you to do but be patience, something many of us (me in particular, obviously) currently lack.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [1] , given: 0

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 14:44
This post received
KUDOS
Hi all,

Just a quick update from me--got the invitation to interview email this afternoon. For those keeping track:

Submitted Sunday night (10/2)
Under Review Monday morning (10/3)
Invitation to Interview (10/4)

Good luck to everyone!
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Concentration: Finance
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 8

Premium Member
Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2011, 16:59
This post received
KUDOS
Guys... wtf.. the only important part about CBS is posted below ... apparently... good thing girl to guy ratio in NYC is like 5:1 ... sucks for them :P

Re: Columbia 2012 - Calling All Applicants   [#permalink] 04 Oct 2011, 16:59