Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 22:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 188 [0], given: 4

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2008, 19:59
solaris1 wrote:
Did you see Clint Stone's blog: http://forum.johnson.cornell.edu/blog/clintstone/
He was the Portfolio Manager for the Cayuga Fund and yet he'll be staying to work with the Cornell endowment after graduation.

The employment report, as you probably already know, does not break out its finance placements into HF/VC/PE etc.

PalmettoRU wrote:
So Johnson has a student-run venture fund (Big Red Ventures), a
student-run hedge fund (the Cayuga fund), and immersions (essentially
a focus) in everything from management consulting to private equity.

From what I have learned about the programs they seem like a great way to get into the industry -- yet I never hear Cornell mentioned as a leader for PE/VC placements.
Does anyone have placement stats for those participating in the BR Ventures/Cayuga Fund?

That's an interesting blog. Thanks for posting the link.

I certainly would not look at is he'll just be staying at Cornell to manage the endowmnet. Those are seriously hard positions to land and are very prestigous. I'd take that job in a second if it were offered to me at UCLA, USC, or Cal Tech I'd prefer to live in LA vs. Ithaca).
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 03:19
I wasn't deriding his decision at all! Merely pointing out that if Cornell doesn't seem to have a reputation has a PE/VC feeder, it's probably because grads with the strongest IM experience may choose to take a somewhat less traditional route.

ryguy904 wrote:
solaris1 wrote:
Did you see Clint Stone's blog: http://forum.johnson.cornell.edu/blog/clintstone/
He was the Portfolio Manager for the Cayuga Fund and yet he'll be staying to work with the Cornell endowment after graduation.

The employment report, as you probably already know, does not break out its finance placements into HF/VC/PE etc.

That's an interesting blog. Thanks for posting the link.

I certainly would not look at is he'll just be staying at Cornell to manage the endowmnet. Those are seriously hard positions to land and are very prestigous. I'd take that job in a second if it were offered to me at UCLA, USC, or Cal Tech I'd prefer to live in LA vs. Ithaca).
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Jul 2008, 06:02
Thanks for the blog link Solaris. Definitely very interesting. Since VC/PE is a relatively small field -- what would you guys say the "traditional route" would be?

btw I visited a Boston Consulting Group recruiting event the other night, and their presentation had a section on exit opportunities by sector -- PE/VC was around 5%, with financial services another 40%, the rest was industry and a few other smaller ones.
Director
Director
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 19:24
I just got what I believe is the new Cornell essay this year:

If your life were a book, identify the chapter headings
Current Student

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 26 Jul 2008, 23:01
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

That's what they add for #3??? Ugggghhhhh.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 12:41
ryguy904 wrote:
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

That's what they add for #3??? Ugggghhhhh.

Tell me about it. That's just an awful essay topic.
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 13:14
IHateTheGMAT wrote:

Where did you get this information from?
Sounds like an awful essay topic... more for creative writing classes than app essay :roll:

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

Director
Director

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 14:30
There was a Q&A with Cornell adcom on BW. I had to pay for that stupid MBA Insider to be able to read it. One of the Q's to the adcom asked about their toughest essay question and he said there was a new question for this year that had not been released to the public yet... and then he went on to state the question that I posted.

I have no idea how to tackle this essay. It doesn't even sound like an essay really, it sounds like a list. Cornell's app used to be sooooo easy, I thought I'd have it done in a week or two. This question is going to make it a lot tougher.
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 15:55
I think we should get used to schools tacking on a "creative" essay along with the other usual topics, a la NYU, Chicago et al. Still, if that's truly the new third essay, it's just a little tacky and makes me a lot less enthusiastic about Cornell's application. I mean what does that have to do with my interest in the school?

At least NYU's third essay and the Chicago powerpoint allow you the option of keeping it about you and how you relate to the school.

Oh, and the Johnson School's website now says application to go live on or about August 15th! So a bit earlier than the September 1st I was told last week.
Manager
Manager
Schools: The School that shall not be named
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jul 2008, 22:13
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
There was a Q&A with Cornell adcom on BW. I had to pay for that stupid MBA Insider to be able to read it. One of the Q's to the adcom asked about their toughest essay question and he said there was a new question for this year that had not been released to the public yet... and then he went on to state the question that I posted.

I have no idea how to tackle this essay. It doesn't even sound like an essay really, it sounds like a list. Cornell's app used to be sooooo easy, I thought I'd have it done in a week or two. This question is going to make it a lot tougher.

Hm... ya... I am still putting Cornell on back burner until mid next month so that I can finish Columbia ED first.
BTW, you think the MBA Insider is worth the money? I was a bit tempted to try it but was unsure.....

明日やろうばかやろう

24 wrote:
Your East Coast bias is worse than ESPN.

SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 15:03
2009 Deadlines are out!

Round 1
Application Deadline: October 6, 2008
Decision Notification: December 17, 2008

Round 2
Application Deadline: November 17, 2008
Decision Notification: February 4, 2009

Round 3
Application Deadline: January 12, 2009
Decision Notification: March 18, 2009

Round 4
Application Deadline: March 23, 2009
Decision Notification: April 29, 2009
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Aug 2008, 16:04
solaris1 wrote:
2009 Deadlines are out!

Round 1
Application Deadline: October 6, 2008
Decision Notification: December 17, 2008

Round 2
Application Deadline: November 17, 2008
Decision Notification: February 4, 2009

Round 3
Application Deadline: January 12, 2009
Decision Notification: March 18, 2009

Round 4
Application Deadline: March 23, 2009
Decision Notification: April 29, 2009

Looks like they pushed the notification date back almost 2 weeks for R1. Dang.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 15:50
Any update on the essay questions?
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 17:11
Has anyone been able to create an account on Johnson's application system? I know the application doesn't go live until "mid-August" according to Admissions (btw, Cornell's adcom is like the nicest and most friendly I've had a chance to interact with), but apparently there's other stuff you can do once you have a login.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 19:04
Does Johnson not offer any information sessions during summer? Couldn't find anything on website.
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 14:16
Cornell pushed their app release date back to 9-1. Damn.

I'm hoping its because they are going to change or drop that ridiculous new essay question..... but I know its not.
Current Student

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 14:27
IHateTheGMAT wrote:
Cornell pushed their app release date back to 9-1. Damn.

I'm hoping its because they are going to change or drop that ridiculous new essay question..... but I know its not.

Have you started on the app yet, since we basically know what the questions are?

Anyone else?
SVP
SVP

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 14:43
Nope, as long as I have an excuse to procrastinate I'm not going to begin that application. :-D
Director
Director

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 15:13
Yeah I haven't started yet either. Columbia is done and I'm currently working on my Tuck essays. Cornell is next after Tuck. 1 and 2 should be a breeze (other than the 400 word count!) but I am dreading number 3 more than any essay at any school.

ryguy - as early as you are getting in a cbs reapp, if I were you I would go ahead and knock out 1 and 2 but I woud NOT work on 3 until I heard back from Columbia! but that's just me...
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 21:48
Hi guys!

I have a score of 640 in GMAT. How good is the score for Cornell (Johnson)?
Can someone help?

Cheers
NoeL

My Blog:- http://noelatwork.blogspot.com/

Re: Calling all Cornell (Johnson) Fall 2009 applicants!   [#permalink] 15 Aug 2008, 21:48