Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 09 Jul 2014, 23:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Jul 2009, 07:05
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Darden released their essay questions today. While it's not the highest ranked school I'm applying to, it might be the one I'm most excited about.

Essays: (http://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/sta ... d=4&id=577)
Quote:
1. How have the changes in the global economy over the last 18 months affected you and your plan for the future? (400 words)

2. What will you contribute to an MBA program and what are your personal and professional expectations of the program you attend? (600 words)

Deadlines: (http://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/sta ... d=4&id=579)
Quote:
Round 1: Oct 28, 2009 (Decisions Released: Jan 28, 2010
Round 2: Jan 7, 2010 (Decisions Released: Mar 26, 2010)
Round 3: Mar 31, 2010 (Decisions Released: May 12, 2010)

Last year's thread: calling-all-darden-fall-2009-applicants-67730.html

Round 1
Total Applicants: 34
Interview Invites: 18
Admitted: 18
adude (ADMITTED 1/27)
number41 (ADMITTED 1/27)
thais (ADMITTED 1/27)
BSchoolHelp (ADMITTED 1/27)
cletuscassidy (ADMITTED 1/27)
TheDream (ADMITTED 1/27)
ACNguy (ADMITTED 1/27)
smadge37 (ADMITTED 1/27)
hserfoj (ADMITTED 1/27)
jeffmou (ADMITTED 1/27)
dr2005 (ADMITTED 1/27)
pochcc (ADMITTED 1/27)
vaete (ADMITTED 1/27)
theoutlawfades (ADMITTED 1/27)
averma43 (ADMITTED 1/27)
Neochronic (ADMITTED 1/27)
gtg450g (ADMITTED 1/27)

DuckPond (ADMITTED 1/27) (WITHDRAWN FOR DUKE)

WL:
Dinged: 3
usmbaquest
madbubbles
anandnesan

Unknown:
themagiccarpet (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
sc (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
24 (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
MeowKat (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
tobey03 (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
capsfan (Invited for Interview 12/2/2009)
somrc (Invited for Interview 12/3/2009)
RF224455 (Invited for Interview 12/7/2009)
Providencia (Invited for Interview, 12/15/2009)
pmk157
goose
fugo
vnbui
eminent
niraja
varunprabh
hsm78
theenlivened
rajiv182
sonicdc
Crashing
aabbccddee
asimov (Withdrew)
kidd38s (Withdrew)

Round 2
Total Applicants: 22
Interview Invites:
Admitted:
WL:
Dinged:
mba12tech
lakai777
RonMexico
Augustus
theoutlawfades
AspiringSloanie
kevintay
vanilla
0rionMBA
djkvakin
grv
ntenzer
thewearykind
mdlindsa
bigdre
eteusch1
ezekiel2517
hogann
culesrule
uscgrad05
mbaseek12
vishnupr

Round 3
Total Applicants:
Interview Invites:
Admitted:
WL:
Dinged:

Applying (Undecided about which round)
pm4553

Last edited by pmk157 on 20 Nov 2009, 10:05, edited 8 times in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [2] , given: 7

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 18:07
This post received
KUDOS
hey guys, admitted and here's a brief debrief... hope it helps people. keep in mind that these are my opinions, based on my experience, and it isn't the one and only correct opinion.

i applied R1 with a 660 GMAT. i've since rectified this with a 730, but as far as Darden apps were concerned, i scored a mere 660... 40Q/40V.
background was in both MNCs (P&G mktg) and entrepreneurship in Philippines.
Darden likes entrepreneurs, which is something you can't say for other schools; in fact, they have a scholarship for former entrepreneurs - they're willing to waive enrollment fees just to give incentive to entrepreneurs to enter darden. i don't know yet whether i will get one, but an entrepreneur friend of mine from last year did. it's called the batten scholarship.
Darden prides itself in being very ethics oriented. I capitalized on this in one essay, by showing just exactly how ethical i am... and i hinted heavily to my recommenders to put a good ethics bent on their recommendations. I tihnk this showed a good fit with Darden.
The other question was rather unique. I had an enjoyable time answering it. "How did you react to the global economic crisis, and how has this changed/affected you?" (paraphrased, because i don't remember the exact wording). I had a uniquely enriching way of dealing with the crisis: i backpacked around southeast asia, and volunteered to teach in the poorer areas i went to. Did this help? I don't know, but it certainly was unique, and hopefully the admits committee found value in this.

Interview:
The interviews were blind - meaning that the interviewer will not have read my essays/profile before the interview. It was VERY loosely structured in that she basically just said: ok, here's how it's gonna happen, you tell me about your life since college, up to now. You do that for about 30 mins. I'll jump in if I want to know about particular details (although she rarely ever did). For the last 15 mins, you can ask me some questions, and I will answer them.
I did a good job I think explaining my history (6 applications for round 2 asking for the same thing will do that to you), though I did extend a bit beyond 30 mins.
I messed up a bit in the questions portion, because I didn't have any good questions to ask... but I recovered by saying that the reason for this is because I have friends who are current students, as well as alums, who have answered all my questions already. this is true. and i also said that i know all i need to know about virginia and darden, and that about the only bad thing about it is the extremely cold weather. she laughed that off and we parted happy.

two weeks later, I miss the call by the admits committee, because I thought it was my alarm going off. they did call at 7am! instead, i got an email saying i got in, and that the admits package was on its way. congrats.

that was a good day.

The day after, I get emails from four different alumni congratulating me (ok granted, three of whom I knew personally, and only one whom I didn't), and saying that if I had any questions I could just ask them. The kicker is that they sent this to the three other admits from my country, whom they did not know personally. That's a tight knit community!

hope this helps potential applicants here. cheers!
2 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 45 [2] , given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:27
This post received
KUDOS
philipsgal wrote:
southparker wrote:
When exactly does orientation start? I heard mid august. Has the school's calendar been released yet?

and yes, excited to hear if i'm gettin any big cash to make the decision much easier.

Def plan to be on campus mid august for the opening show. also, don't goo too excited about a big paycheck in round 2, from what i've heard, all the high rollers are in round 1.

You've really got to stop touting yourself as an expert. I'm not sure if you're a troll or even a Darden applicant but if you're not even a 1Y yet there really is no point to you acting as an expert.

Furthermore, in your Admit/Ding/WL page you claimed to have gotten a scholarship from them as a R2 applicant. You posted that before the scholarship committee even had a chance to meet and definitely before you would have received your packet (considering they're shipping today).

If you really are a future classmate/student, I apologize but I just want to ensure eveyone takes what you're saying with a grain of salt.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
I received a PM about my experience at the Open House on the 14th, so I figured I'd just add it to the discussion here.

The Open House is scheduled like this:

Welcome / Admissions Presentation
-There's a continental breakfast before the presentation begins with the opportunity to talk with several members of the admissions staff. Then Sara Neher (Admissions Director) gives a brief overview of the admissions process and lays out the schedule for the day

First Coffee
-After the Admissions presentation is over everybody's student hosts come down to meet them (each participant is assigned a First Year host to take them to First Coffee and their Class Visit)
-It was the first day of recruiting season so there were several Bank of America reps attending the event, it was definitely a pack house and it was a good opportunity to talk with several students

Class Visit
-The class I sat in on was Accounting for Managers (you don't get to choose, it's pre-assigned). Obviously an accounting class doesn't sounds like it would be very exciting, but it was a great opportunity to see the case method in action and the participation from the students was phenomenal.

Financial Aid / Career Devlopement Presentation
-The financial aid presentation was pretty standard (what's it gonna cost, types of aid, scholarships, etc)
-An interesting fact from the Career Dev presentation: 77% of 2009 Darden Grads had offers at graudation, 82% 3 months after

Tour / Lunch w/ 2nd Years
-We were then given a tour of the "Grounds" in small groups (3 -4) by a 2nd year student and then moved to lunch w/ another group of 2nd years and some of the admissions staff

Q&A w/ Students
-The last event of the day was a Q&A panel w/ both 1st and 2nd year students without any admissions staff present

To make a long story short, it was a great day and all of the students and staff I met with were extremely friendly and helpful. The experience defenitely cemented Darden as one of my top picks.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden (R1), Ross (R1), Stern (R1), Fuqua (R1), Booth (R2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:07
This post received
KUDOS
The Darden website is very clear:

"Please note that interview notification can take place at any time up until the decision release date for the deadline in which you have applied."

Round 1 decisions are released January 28th...

So I think it's safe to say that NOT all invites were sent today...but of course this means some of us may have to wait nervously for a while....
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)

Kudos [?]: 5 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 13:28
This post received
KUDOS
sc wrote:
i got the invite at 3:15 today. don't panic if you haven't gotten it yet...they clearly didn't all go out at the same time. any luck scheduling interviews in january? i can't really do december either....

Call Rachel Frakenfield and tell her your situation

434-924-0951
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Kellogg, Fuqua, Haas, Darden

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Dec 2009, 15:31
This post received
KUDOS
Had my interview with a member of the AdCom this morning. All interviews are 100% blind, she knew nothing about me or my application. It started with her asking questions about my childhood, where I was from, what my family was like, etc. We progressed through undergrad and my career, but rather than focusing on "resume-type" accomplishments, we talked more about WHY I made certain decisions, and what matters to me.

We eventually got to "why MBA", but I was never directly asked "why Darden". I tried to weave a few pieces of "why Darden" into our conversation. Before I knew it 45 mins was up, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions....so we talked about job prospects for a bit. After an hour we were still chatting, but she had to cut it off.

Overall I think (hope) it went well, but with interviews like this its always hard to tell. I forgot to mention a few things that I'd hoped to work in. Oh well.

My advice to those still yet to interview:
- create a mini-list of items you for sure want to cover (interesting anecdotes), its easy to get caught up in the conversation, then before you know it you missed your chance to talk about that interesting undergrad EC (since you're already talking about your job)
- be ready to NOT talk about accomplishments, she almost seemed disinterested when I did. I guess it makes sense, there is no point to just regurgitate your resume during the interview - they already have it on file. Talk about something ELSE, something interesting/dynamic
- do your homework and be able to convey sincere interest in the program (I honestly think this is a big part of the interview...they try to gauge this)

She said her comments would be added to my overall application file, then it would undergo a final review and a decision would be made.

Thats about it I guess. Feel free to ask me any specific questions, I'd be happy to help out.

Oh and also, she said they release ALL decisions (including financial aid) on Jan 28th, so no crazy stressful hair pulling out for weeks on end (ahem...Kellogg...). I was happy to hear that.

Best of luck to everyone.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Dec 2009, 05:30
This post received
KUDOS
dr2005 wrote:
Had my interview with a member of the AdCom this morning. All interviews are 100% blind, she knew nothing about me or my application. It started with her asking questions about my childhood, where I was from, what my family was like, etc. We progressed through undergrad and my career, but rather than focusing on "resume-type" accomplishments, we talked more about WHY I made certain decisions, and what matters to me.

We eventually got to "why MBA", but I was never directly asked "why Darden". I tried to weave a few pieces of "why Darden" into our conversation. Before I knew it 45 mins was up, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions....so we talked about job prospects for a bit. After an hour we were still chatting, but she had to cut it off.

Overall I think (hope) it went well, but with interviews like this its always hard to tell. I forgot to mention a few things that I'd hoped to work in. Oh well.

My advice to those still yet to interview:
- create a mini-list of items you for sure want to cover (interesting anecdotes), its easy to get caught up in the conversation, then before you know it you missed your chance to talk about that interesting undergrad EC (since you're already talking about your job)
- be ready to NOT talk about accomplishments, she almost seemed disinterested when I did. I guess it makes sense, there is no point to just regurgitate your resume during the interview - they already have it on file. Talk about something ELSE, something interesting/dynamic
- do your homework and be able to convey sincere interest in the program (I honestly think this is a big part of the interview...they try to gauge this)

She said her comments would be added to my overall application file, then it would undergo a final review and a decision would be made.

Thanks Dr. +1 Kudos

I had my interview yesterday and this advice is pretty much spot on. I didn't really mention any resume worthy accomplishments and she didn't seem like she was looking for them. I was able to mention one as we were walking out the door but it just naturally came from the conversation.

A few notes to add:

1) I think the interviews around now will be more adcom heavy, while later ones may be more likely to be with a student. Rough guess is that 60% of people had theirs with an adcom (I did)

2) I was asked to make sure we were on track timing wise. The clock was behind her so it wasn't too hard but just something to note. I didn't get a "five minutes left" bell or anything like that

3) A kid I spoke to during the day told me about his interview and it seemed that he got the standard leadership/team/weakness/etc questions. I do not think this is likely but I would have been quasi screwed if I had been asked those questions. My advice is just to review those type of questions on the off chance that you get them.

4) Dr's point about creating the list of things you want to touch on is key. You will most likely miss something if you don't

5) I found that coming up with a few central themes really helped tie in the "why" in a lot of my decisions.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2010, 04:24
This post received
KUDOS
eteusch1 wrote:
Augustus wrote:
eteusch1 wrote:
Did anyone receive a confirmation email saying their application has been submitted? I got the payment email but thats it. I know with Ross, both recommenders had to have submitted their recommendations before I got the application complete email.

No, I did not receive a confirmation. However, looking at front page of their admission web site will clearly reveal whether or not your application has been submitted.

Yeah, I saw that when I submitted...I went back to the home page and it showed that I had submitted the app. The one thing that REALLY bugs me about this app is you can't see the status of the recommenders....other apps you can see if they have logged in, when its complete, etc....but you get nothing from Darden (at least I haven't found anything).

Actually, you can. On the admissions front page, look to the top menu bar. Click "Application(s)". On the next screen click "Application Submitted". On this page (which is a checklist) you can see whether or not you reccomendations are in.

Hope this helps.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)

Kudos [?]: 16 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2010, 11:49
This post received
KUDOS
It appears I've reached the end of my Darden School of Business endeavours.

I received my invitation to interview earlier today, but plan to withdraw my application as soon as possible to create the possibility for at least one more deserving applicant to attend Darden this autumn.

Good luck to all applicants in the various stages of their admissions process!

Thermodynamic miracles... events with odds against so astronomical they're effectively impossible, like oxygen spontaneously becoming gold. I long to observe such a thing.

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Duke, Darden, Tuck, Ross
WE 1: 5 years

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2010, 07:43
This post received
KUDOS
Any calls yet?
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2010, 16:18
This post received
KUDOS
Reality wrote:
For international students interviewing via Skype/phone are the interviews with the adcom blind?

Yes. My phone interviewer mentioned this before our discussion started.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 2 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2010, 19:59
This post received
KUDOS
ACNguy wrote:
2 Questions:

1). Has anyone's deposit check been cashed yet? I sent mine via FedEx early last week and it says it was received by Darden last Tuesday but still hasn't been cashed...

2). Has anyone received their SIS log in information? I heard we were supposed to receive these at the end of February and I never received it.

Respectively, yes and no.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Mar 2010, 04:13
This post received
KUDOS
those who received "your application is still with the director", anyone get any answer yet??

I'm still waiting from round 1, it looks like (similar to last year's horror story) i may find out 2 weeks before classes start!!!
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 6

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Mar 2010, 06:42
This post received
KUDOS
It certainly smells like a troll and I think the mods should check it out. There have also been some post from the same poster at the BusinessWeek forums with a lot of inconcistencies.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Apr 2010, 05:14
This post received
KUDOS
eteusch1 wrote:
MichaelWeston wrote:
I just registered for Darden Days. As of right now, I plan to drive to UVA Thursday morning and drive home Saturday afternoon. To those that are going, how long are you staying?

Do you have a schedule for Darden Days? I'm need to see how busy those two days are before booking my reservations...

It's online. Just login to the admitted students portal and click the Darden Days link on the right-hand side. The schedule will be in a .pdf file near the top of next page.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate
Schools: Tuck Class of 2012

Kudos [?]: 4 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2010, 09:31
This post received
KUDOS
Anyone else have a R2 package update? I've been patiently waiting for my admissions package, and it seems like there are a few of you out there as well. I've received TWO tracking numbers sent about a week apart. The first never left the "initiated" status, while the second went "in-transit" last week. Now BOTH tracking numbers pull up nothing. Anyone know what's up?

I'd like to call the admissions office to ask, but I'd also like to save them from yet another inquiry if someone else on this forum has the answer. Thanks!
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: Darden - IN One for One!

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Apr 2010, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Sprocket wrote:
djkvakin wrote:
Guys, I think you can call the admissions office, and ask them to email you the PDF version of the financial aid letter. Also, if you have the access to SIS portal, your aid would be reflected there as well.

Yeah I already emailed the Financial Aid office too. The SIS portal isn't the same as the Darden Portal, is it?

No, it's not the same; it's the page where you fill out university financial aid application.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2010, 13:27
This post received
KUDOS
hogann wrote:
enny wrote:
Hi folks,

I got an email last week from The Financial Aid office saying the international loan program "will bear interest at a rate of the United States Prime Rate Index plus Four Percent (4%)". Does someone know exactly what that really translate to currently?

I have a question regarding this loan. Does it provide any additional benefits in terms of tax writeoffs? 7.25% is extremely high for a loan. Student loans at most Canadian bank start around 4%. Or am I missing something?

On a second note I just signed up for Darden Days. Expedia has a 20% off sale on the DoubleTree right now if anyone is looking for a deal on the hotel.

If anyone is planning to stay at the DoubleTree, use priceline.com. I've gotten rooms for $50/night at the Doubletree and I've heard of people paying $40/night. Go to their website and bid low for a 3-star hotel (you can't see the hotel) and you'll probably get the Doubletree. The Doubletree is a nice hotel, nothing fancy but nothing to sneeze out. The only difficulty (and the reason for the low prices) is the hotel has a difficult to find location.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Stern '13 (M)

Kudos [?]: 19 [1] , given: 2

Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2010, 12:03
This post received
KUDOS
I got a waitlist update email the other day. Basicly said they are still in the process of reviewing final applicants. I imagine after deposits on monday they will have a better picture on the number of spots they still have open and giving more calls. Or I suppose they may just wait, until may 10th to call people. Either way, it is not that much longer.
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants!   [#permalink] 29 Apr 2010, 12:03