Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:49 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: GM / Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern
 Q41  V45
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Concentration: GM / Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Wharton, Columbia, Darden, Stern
 Q41  V45
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2010 Applicants! [#permalink]
Kudos
I received a PM about my experience at the Open House on the 14th, so I figured I'd just add it to the discussion here.

The Open House is scheduled like this:

Welcome / Admissions Presentation
-There's a continental breakfast before the presentation begins with the opportunity to talk with several members of the admissions staff. Then Sara Neher (Admissions Director) gives a brief overview of the admissions process and lays out the schedule for the day

First Coffee
-After the Admissions presentation is over everybody's student hosts come down to meet them (each participant is assigned a First Year host to take them to First Coffee and their Class Visit)
-It was the first day of recruiting season so there were several Bank of America reps attending the event, it was definitely a pack house and it was a good opportunity to talk with several students

Class Visit
-The class I sat in on was Accounting for Managers (you don't get to choose, it's pre-assigned). Obviously an accounting class doesn't sounds like it would be very exciting, but it was a great opportunity to see the case method in action and the participation from the students was phenomenal.

Financial Aid / Career Devlopement Presentation
-The financial aid presentation was pretty standard (what's it gonna cost, types of aid, scholarships, etc)
-An interesting fact from the Career Dev presentation: 77% of 2009 Darden Grads had offers at graudation, 82% 3 months after

Tour / Lunch w/ 2nd Years
-We were then given a tour of the "Grounds" in small groups (3 -4) by a 2nd year student and then moved to lunch w/ another group of 2nd years and some of the admissions staff

Q&A w/ Students
-The last event of the day was a Q&A panel w/ both 1st and 2nd year students without any admissions staff present

To make a long story short, it was a great day and all of the students and staff I met with were extremely friendly and helpful. The experience defenitely cemented Darden as one of my top picks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Darden (R1), Ross (R1), Stern (R1), Fuqua (R1), Booth (R2)
Send PM
Kudos
The Darden website is very clear:

"Please note that interview notification can take place at any time up until the decision release date for the deadline in which you have applied."

Round 1 decisions are released January 28th...

So I think it's safe to say that NOT all invites were sent today...but of course this means some of us may have to wait nervously for a while....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entertainment
Schools:Chicago (Ding w/Interview), Kellogg(Ding), Darden (Int), NYU (Rd 2), USC (Rd 2)
 Q47  V37
Send PM
Kudos
sc wrote:
i got the invite at 3:15 today. don't panic if you haven't gotten it yet...they clearly didn't all go out at the same time. any luck scheduling interviews in january? i can't really do december either....

Call Rachel Frakenfield and tell her your situation

434-924-0951
Current Student
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Kellogg, Fuqua, Haas, Darden
Send PM
Kudos
Had my interview with a member of the AdCom this morning. All interviews are 100% blind, she knew nothing about me or my application. It started with her asking questions about my childhood, where I was from, what my family was like, etc. We progressed through undergrad and my career, but rather than focusing on "resume-type" accomplishments, we talked more about WHY I made certain decisions, and what matters to me.

We eventually got to "why MBA", but I was never directly asked "why Darden". I tried to weave a few pieces of "why Darden" into our conversation. Before I knew it 45 mins was up, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions....so we talked about job prospects for a bit. After an hour we were still chatting, but she had to cut it off.

Overall I think (hope) it went well, but with interviews like this its always hard to tell. I forgot to mention a few things that I'd hoped to work in. Oh well.

My advice to those still yet to interview:
- create a mini-list of items you for sure want to cover (interesting anecdotes), its easy to get caught up in the conversation, then before you know it you missed your chance to talk about that interesting undergrad EC (since you're already talking about your job)
- be ready to NOT talk about accomplishments, she almost seemed disinterested when I did. I guess it makes sense, there is no point to just regurgitate your resume during the interview - they already have it on file. Talk about something ELSE, something interesting/dynamic
- do your homework and be able to convey sincere interest in the program (I honestly think this is a big part of the interview...they try to gauge this)

She said her comments would be added to my overall application file, then it would undergo a final review and a decision would be made.

Thats about it I guess. Feel free to ask me any specific questions, I'd be happy to help out.

Oh and also, she said they release ALL decisions (including financial aid) on Jan 28th, so no crazy stressful hair pulling out for weeks on end (ahem...Kellogg...). I was happy to hear that.

Best of luck to everyone.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:R1: Kellogg WL, Haas WL, Fuqua, Darden R2: Wharton
 Q48  V44
GPA: 3.09
WE 1: Biotech Strategy
WE 2: Health Economics
Send PM
Kudos
dr2005 wrote:
Had my interview with a member of the AdCom this morning. All interviews are 100% blind, she knew nothing about me or my application. It started with her asking questions about my childhood, where I was from, what my family was like, etc. We progressed through undergrad and my career, but rather than focusing on "resume-type" accomplishments, we talked more about WHY I made certain decisions, and what matters to me.

We eventually got to "why MBA", but I was never directly asked "why Darden". I tried to weave a few pieces of "why Darden" into our conversation. Before I knew it 45 mins was up, she gave me the opportunity to ask questions....so we talked about job prospects for a bit. After an hour we were still chatting, but she had to cut it off.

Overall I think (hope) it went well, but with interviews like this its always hard to tell. I forgot to mention a few things that I'd hoped to work in. Oh well.

My advice to those still yet to interview:
- create a mini-list of items you for sure want to cover (interesting anecdotes), its easy to get caught up in the conversation, then before you know it you missed your chance to talk about that interesting undergrad EC (since you're already talking about your job)
- be ready to NOT talk about accomplishments, she almost seemed disinterested when I did. I guess it makes sense, there is no point to just regurgitate your resume during the interview - they already have it on file. Talk about something ELSE, something interesting/dynamic
- do your homework and be able to convey sincere interest in the program (I honestly think this is a big part of the interview...they try to gauge this)

She said her comments would be added to my overall application file, then it would undergo a final review and a decision would be made.

Thanks Dr. +1 Kudos

I had my interview yesterday and this advice is pretty much spot on. I didn't really mention any resume worthy accomplishments and she didn't seem like she was looking for them. I was able to mention one as we were walking out the door but it just naturally came from the conversation.

A few notes to add:

1) I think the interviews around now will be more adcom heavy, while later ones may be more likely to be with a student. Rough guess is that 60% of people had theirs with an adcom (I did)

2) I was asked to make sure we were on track timing wise. The clock was behind her so it wasn't too hard but just something to note. I didn't get a "five minutes left" bell or anything like that

3) A kid I spoke to during the day told me about his interview and it seemed that he got the standard leadership/team/weakness/etc questions. I do not think this is likely but I would have been quasi screwed if I had been asked those questions. My advice is just to review those type of questions on the off chance that you get them.

4) Dr's point about creating the list of things you want to touch on is key. You will most likely miss something if you don't

5) I found that coming up with a few central themes really helped tie in the "why" in a lot of my decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:Darden Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
eteusch1 wrote:
Augustus wrote:
eteusch1 wrote:
Did anyone receive a confirmation email saying their application has been submitted? I got the payment email but thats it. I know with Ross, both recommenders had to have submitted their recommendations before I got the application complete email.

No, I did not receive a confirmation. However, looking at front page of their admission web site will clearly reveal whether or not your application has been submitted.

Yeah, I saw that when I submitted...I went back to the home page and it showed that I had submitted the app. The one thing that REALLY bugs me about this app is you can't see the status of the recommenders....other apps you can see if they have logged in, when its complete, etc....but you get nothing from Darden (at least I haven't found anything).

Actually, you can. On the admissions front page, look to the top menu bar. Click "Application(s)". On the next screen click "Application Submitted". On this page (which is a checklist) you can see whether or not you reccomendations are in.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [1]
Schools:Kellogg School of Management (Accepted), London Business School (Accepted), The Wharton School (Accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
It appears I've reached the end of my Darden School of Business endeavours.

I received my invitation to interview earlier today, but plan to withdraw my application as soon as possible to create the possibility for at least one more deserving applicant to attend Darden this autumn.

Good luck to all applicants in the various stages of their admissions process!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Schools:Duke, Darden, Tuck, Ross
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Kudos
Any calls yet?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Reality wrote:
For international students interviewing via Skype/phone are the interviews with the adcom blind?

Yes. My phone interviewer mentioned this before our discussion started.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
ACNguy wrote:
2 Questions:

1). Has anyone's deposit check been cashed yet? I sent mine via FedEx early last week and it says it was received by Darden last Tuesday but still hasn't been cashed...

2). Has anyone received their SIS log in information? I heard we were supposed to receive these at the end of February and I never received it.

Respectively, yes and no.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
those who received "your application is still with the director", anyone get any answer yet??

I'm still waiting from round 1, it looks like (similar to last year's horror story) i may find out 2 weeks before classes start!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Finance
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
It certainly smells like a troll and I think the mods should check it out. There have also been some post from the same poster at the BusinessWeek forums with a lot of inconcistencies.
Current Student
Send PM
Kudos
eteusch1 wrote:
MichaelWeston wrote:
I just registered for Darden Days. As of right now, I plan to drive to UVA Thursday morning and drive home Saturday afternoon. To those that are going, how long are you staying?

Do you have a schedule for Darden Days? I'm need to see how busy those two days are before booking my reservations...

It's online. Just login to the admitted students portal and click the Darden Days link on the right-hand side. The schedule will be in a .pdf file near the top of next page.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Tuck Class of 2012
Send PM
Kudos
Anyone else have a R2 package update? I've been patiently waiting for my admissions package, and it seems like there are a few of you out there as well. I've received TWO tracking numbers sent about a week apart. The first never left the "initiated" status, while the second went "in-transit" last week. Now BOTH tracking numbers pull up nothing. Anyone know what's up?

I'd like to call the admissions office to ask, but I'd also like to save them from yet another inquiry if someone else on this forum has the answer. Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Darden - IN One for One!
Send PM
Kudos
Sprocket wrote:
djkvakin wrote:
Guys, I think you can call the admissions office, and ask them to email you the PDF version of the financial aid letter. Also, if you have the access to SIS portal, your aid would be reflected there as well.

Yeah I already emailed the Financial Aid office too. The SIS portal isn't the same as the Darden Portal, is it?

No, it's not the same; it's the page where you fill out university financial aid application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
hogann wrote:
enny wrote:
Hi folks,

I got an email last week from The Financial Aid office saying the international loan program "will bear interest at a rate of the United States Prime Rate Index plus Four Percent (4%)". Does someone know exactly what that really translate to currently?

I have a question regarding this loan. Does it provide any additional benefits in terms of tax writeoffs? 7.25% is extremely high for a loan. Student loans at most Canadian bank start around 4%. Or am I missing something?

On a second note I just signed up for Darden Days. Expedia has a 20% off sale on the DoubleTree right now if anyone is looking for a deal on the hotel.

If anyone is planning to stay at the DoubleTree, use priceline.com. I've gotten rooms for $50/night at the Doubletree and I've heard of people paying $40/night. Go to their website and bid low for a 3-star hotel (you can't see the hotel) and you'll probably get the Doubletree. The Doubletree is a nice hotel, nothing fancy but nothing to sneeze out. The only difficulty (and the reason for the low prices) is the hotel has a difficult to find location.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Schools: Stern '13 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
I got a waitlist update email the other day. Basicly said they are still in the process of reviewing final applicants. I imagine after deposits on monday they will have a better picture on the number of spots they still have open and giving more calls. Or I suppose they may just wait, until may 10th to call people. Either way, it is not that much longer.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  64