Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 04:56 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 04:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:tuck, haas
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Dartmouth (Tuck) Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
wiseguyMBA wrote:
I've heard from some people who visited, that the "being in the middle of nowhere" feeling at Tuck bothered them. What's your take on it?
thanks

It all depends on your perspective.

Tuck is not really all that far from a big city. In less than 2 h you can be in Boston. When I visited Cornell, I really felt "in the middle of nowhere". The closest "city" to Cornell is Syracuse, NY and that's almost a 2 h drive away.

There are quite a few people from NYC who are attending Tuck and from the discussions I've had with them, they seem to be adjusting just fine. At least one of them specifically chose Tuck because it was so different from NYC. I mean, once you get your MBA, you'll be living in a big city for the rest of your life. It might be the last time you get to live in a small college town in a beautiful part of New England.

As for employers, it all depends on what industry and location you are targeting. If you're looking to focus on finance, NYU will have way more options, just based on the fact you're in NYC. I'm targeting health care and Tuck has an impressive list of companies who recruit on campus. Comparable with Kellogg or Duke.

The other nice thing is because Tuck is so close to Boston, a lot of companies who visit MIT or Harvard also make the drive to Tuck since it's not really out of the way.

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys
I am in sort of a dilemma; my project which was supposed to go into production last Friday has extended over by a week, cos of a major bug they found.
I can't make it to Tuck in the next one week, before the EA deadline.
Though I did take 2 days off tomorrow and day after, it would be a huge risk at my job to be out of the action for 2 days during a crucial stage.
I have 3 options:
a. suck it up and just go visit Hanover, risking some raised eyebrows at work.
b. Cancel the interview and apply anyway, without interview.
c. Apply in R1.

What do you guys think I should do? Does anyone know of people who got in without an interview? Should I call Adcom and explain this to them?
I know eventually it will be a personal decision but just trying to gather form here if the interview is a dealbreaker
thanks in advance
WG
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Guys
I am in sort of a dilemma; my project which was supposed to go into production last Friday has extended over by a week, cos of a major bug they found.

Call the adcom and ask their opinion.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools:HBS R2, Stanford R2, Wharton R2, Columbia RD, Tuck R2, Darden R2, Texas R2
Send PM
goose wrote:
Where are all the Tuck applicants??? Has anyone visited or interviewed yet?

I'm in for Round 2 - applying via Consortium.

I visited the campus this past July - the support and help from the staff was nothing short of stellar. The facilities are great (if a bit hidden from the eye) and even in the summer, you get a real feeling that it is a tight crew. Nothing but good things to say about Tuck.

I'm a military applicant, and was interviewed by the enrollment and recruiting manager back in July.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm wondering how the interview process changes, if at all, for reapplicants?

Are there any reapplicants here who have already completed their interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Genaral Management, Strategy, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Tuck, Emory, Kelly, TAMU, Fisher, Simon, Tippie, NUS, Carey.
 Q44  V42
Send PM
refurb wrote:
wiseguyMBA wrote:
Guys

Call the adcom and ask their opinion.

RF

Hi I am an international applicant. So the best I can do is to research about Tuck through the website and such forums. Also, I plan to attend the Tuck reception at Mumbai on 29th Oct. I plan to apply in the Nov deadline. I have been hearing about a lot of applicants visiting Tuck and experiencing the culture. I am sure this would have a great effect on their essays but does an absence of such a visit to campus lower any chances of proving that one is as interested in Tuck as anyone else?

As far as the interviews are concerned, does every applicant have to interview (before final acceptance) at the campus? Is the decision for interview initiated by the adcom or the applicant and do international applicants have an option of a telephonic interview or an interview at their country of residence?

simplygood.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Schools:Kellogg (R2 Admit), Tuck (R1 Ding), Booth (R2 Ding), Wharton (R2 Interviewed) , HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Yale SOM (R3 withdrew), Tepper (R3 withdrew)
 Q50  V45
GPA: 3.89
WE 1: 5.5 yrs engineering
Send PM
Hi, I have a question regarding the 4 admission rounds at Tuck. Most top MBA programs have 3 rounds, with the first 2 being equally competitive and the third being virtually impossible for most applicants. How does the difficulty change from round to round at Tuck? Is it roughly the same for the first 3 rounds, or does it get REALLY tough after the November round? I even heard a rumor (not on this forum) that EA is actually tougher than the November round....Any truth to that? I suppose it is possible (for any top program, not just Tuck) that an early round could have a lower admission rate due to a greater percentage of the applicants rushing their essays just to meet the earlier deadline :o
Current Student
Send PM
simplygood wrote:
Hi I am an international applicant. So the best I can do is to research about Tuck through the website and such forums. Also, I plan to attend the Tuck reception at Mumbai on 29th Oct. I plan to apply in the Nov deadline.

International applicants are not expected to visit campus.

It's good that you are going to the Tuck Reception in Mumbai. My suggestion is to make sure you talk with a couple of the Tuck people when you are there.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
machg400 wrote:
Hi, I have a question regarding the 4 admission rounds at Tuck.

The first three rounds are pretty much equal in terms of how hard it is to get accepted, the final round is very difficult.

As for how hard it is to get accepted in the EA round, from last year's thread, it appears that not many people apply EA (I think it was under 200 last year), so your chances might be slightly better than rounds 1 and 2, but I don't think it makes much difference either way.

RF
Manager
Manager
Send PM
refurb wrote:
machg400 wrote:

The first three rounds are pretty much equal in terms of how hard it is to get accepted, the final round is very difficult.

As for how hard it is to get accepted in the EA round, from last year's thread, it appears that not many people apply EA (I think it was under 200 last year), so your chances might be slightly better than rounds 1 and 2, but I don't think it makes much difference either way.

RF

Just visited Tuck yesterday, and brought this up in the Q&A. the EA is better than R1, and that is because people who are only ABSOLUTELY SURE about Tuck apply in EA, whereas people that apply in R1 are not fully sure about Tuck.
That said, don't apply to tuck EA just because chances are better..if you're accepted, you will have to pay $3500 by Jan 13, 2010, by which date you probably wont even hear from your R2 schools.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Columbia Business School - Class of 2012
Send PM
wiseguyMBA wrote:
refurb wrote:
machg400 wrote:

RF

Just visited Tuck yesterday, and brought this up in the Q&A. the EA is better than R1, and that is because people who are only ABSOLUTELY SURE about Tuck apply in EA, whereas people that apply in R1 are not fully sure about Tuck.
That said, don't apply to tuck EA just because chances are better..if you're accepted, you will have to pay $3500 by Jan 13, 2010, by which date you probably wont even hear from your R2 schools.

Well, in all of the past years, Harvard and Stanford would release their decisions after the Tuck EA deposit deadline. This is not going to be the case this year. I'm really wondering if that will change the dynamics of how this works.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone else's recommenders mentioned the ridiculous reco form from Tuck, which is taking them 10 hours to complete? This is kinda lame...I mean the only time my recommenders get to do this is on the weekend and it's taking up too much of their time.
I mailed Tuck about this yesterday sayin it's a point to really think about for them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Interview report from last week:

First visit to Tuck, very impressed by the scenic location.
Interviewer was 2nd year, was into consulting. Questions:

1. Walk me through resume.
2. I mentioned an interesting fact in my resume...so she dwelled on that asked me if I considered that the most significant accomplishment in my life. I said yes.
3. What inspired me to achieve #2?
4. Experience working in a team of diverse individuals.
5. Why MBA
6. Why Tuck?
7. what I'll contribute to Tuck? I didnt really mention a list of clubs..I said I'll draw from my past experiences and contribute in areas I'm strong at; community impact, study groups, also want to be a member of Adcom.
8. I mentioned being able to deal with conflict so she asked me an instance where I did that.
9. Any questions for her?

The interview lasted 35 minutes, pretty short. I felt good about it, was very conversational in nature. I saw a lot of people that day though...about 25 people interviewed while I was there, and I left at 1-30pm so maybe 35-40 by end of day?

I'll press the submit button tomorrow and then it's left to the Adcom Gods.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

Anyone wants to take over for updating Tuck Roll Call PG?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
nink wrote:
ROLL CALL PG UPDATED

Anyone wants to take over for updating Tuck Roll Call PG?

I can do that.
regards
WG
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hi people.
I have the transcript of the Admissions chat from this morning. Too long to post here.
Please pm me if you need it.
regards
WG
Intern
Intern
Schools:tuck, haas
 Q49  V40
Send PM
anyone not able to get into today's chat? i wasn't able to get into the first chat ~2 weeks ago because it filled up too quickly (70 participants max?)

so i was the first to log in this time! the chat was wayyy too crazy. people asking questions multiple times to get answers. it was very difficult to follow. i stuck to easy questions for the current students and those were answered.

as for hanover, i think i'd like it there. that's just me though. i've lived in the suburbs as well as a couple of big name cities, but it's all personal choice.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32