Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategic Management/Corp Innovation:Healthcare/Biotech/Pharma
Schools:Indiana Kelley/Class of 2012/Full tuition $$
WE 1: Healthcare/Biomedical Research
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Washington University (Olin)
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling All Fall 2010 Washington U. (Olin) Applicants! [#permalink]
Sure,

I worked 4 years for a life science and biotech research chemical provider mostly in sales and marketing analysis roles. I have a bachelor's in chemistry and 30 hours of business courses which made the company a good fit. I'm a bit in the air on two focus areas Brand Management and Strategy Consulting. I have a Brand Management internship lined up for the summer with a CPG firm.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi everyone,

I was recently on the road for business and I came across a Wash U Olin grad while in Paris. We exchanged cards and he was nice enough to give me his "two cents" on his experience. I thought some of his thoughts might help all of you like it did me.

He said he would give his overall experience a grade of B to B plus. The biggest positive in his view was the academic experience - he said it was "exceptional" and "awesome". He focused on finance and accounting courses, and he said it was very rigorous and all-out tough coursework. He is now a hedge fund analyst in London and he thought his preparation for finance was just as good (if not better) as his peers from top 10 schools.

About the students, he said the top quarter is very good - mostly people who got scholarship offers and could have made it at Kellogg, U Chicago, etc. He said the school definitely caters to its students and goes out of their way to help and provide resources. He said he didn't remember any activities or clubs, they didn't stand out in his head as particularly important.

About the career services, he did not use them. He already knew what he wanted to do out of B-school and built his own network and that is how he got the job he wanted. He said the small class size of 150 is not good for the school's ability to attract recruiters. He said outright - "if you are looking at B-school as a gateway to a job, Wash U is not the place for you". He recommended going in like he did - have a clear goal job and work the networks and resources to get it.

For perspective, he graduated from Olin in 1999 so things have obviously changed.

Anyway - hope it's helpful.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools:MIT, NYU, Yale, Darden, McCombs
Send PM
Can anyone comment on the healthcare opportunities coming out of Olin? They seem to have a disproportionate number of students (30% according to their employment report) going into healthcare/pharma/biotech. This is intriguing. Even considering the small class size, this means they placed 50 students into the field.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mbsappy8 wrote:
Sure,

I worked 4 years for a life science and biotech research chemical provider mostly in sales and marketing analysis roles. I have a bachelor's in chemistry and 30 hours of business courses which made the company a good fit. I'm a bit in the air on two focus areas Brand Management and Strategy Consulting. I have a Brand Management internship lined up for the summer with a CPG firm.

Thanks mbasappy! I am also considering Strategy/Bus Dev/Consulting. Congratulations on your internship and good luck! Hope you return with a job offer!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Twinks wrote:
Hi everyone,

I was recently on the road for business and I came across a Wash U Olin grad while in Paris. We exchanged cards and he was nice enough to give me his "two cents" on his experience. I thought some of his thoughts might help all of you like it did me.

He said he would give his overall experience a grade of B to B plus. The biggest positive in his view was the academic experience - he said it was "exceptional" and "awesome". He focused on finance and accounting courses, and he said it was very rigorous and all-out tough coursework. He is now a hedge fund analyst in London and he thought his preparation for finance was just as good (if not better) as his peers from top 10 schools.

About the students, he said the top quarter is very good - mostly people who got scholarship offers and could have made it at Kellogg, U Chicago, etc. He said the school definitely caters to its students and goes out of their way to help and provide resources. He said he didn't remember any activities or clubs, they didn't stand out in his head as particularly important.

About the career services, he did not use them. He already knew what he wanted to do out of B-school and built his own network and that is how he got the job he wanted. He said the small class size of 150 is not good for the school's ability to attract recruiters. He said outright - "if you are looking at B-school as a gateway to a job, Wash U is not the place for you". He recommended going in like he did - have a clear goal job and work the networks and resources to get it.

For perspective, he graduated from Olin in 1999 so things have obviously changed.

Hello Twinks, our globetrotting dudette :-D

Thanks your update from across the pond. One thing stood out to me: the guy was very frank and candid. On the plus side, as I noted in one of my earlier post here, if you study hard and do your part at most BW top-20 programs, you can out-compete and out-wow fellas from "wow"-top-10 schools. I also picked up a point from his comment about class size. I always thought the smaller class sizes are better (I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad and liked the small student-to-faculty ratio) but it appears therez some utility (especially in this tough economy) to larger B-school class sizes.

Nice pointers to all of us too! Will his input have any effect on your upcoming decision? Made up your mind yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks Twinks ... Interesting perspective.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q45  V41
Send PM
My decision (and deposit) are due tomorrow. Anyone making a decision now?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance
 Q50  V34
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: 5 years
Send PM
Case2010 wrote:
Twinks wrote:
Hi everyone,

Hello Twinks, our globetrotting dudette :-D

Thanks your update from across the pond. One thing stood out to me: the guy was very frank and candid. On the plus side, as I noted in one of my earlier post here, if you study hard and do your part at most BW top-20 programs, you can out-compete and out-wow fellas from "wow"-top-10 schools. I also picked up a point from his comment about class size. I always thought the smaller class sizes are better (I went to a small liberal arts college for undergrad and liked the small student-to-faculty ratio) but it appears therez some utility (especially in this tough economy) to larger B-school class sizes.

Nice pointers to all of us too! Will his input have any effect on your upcoming decision? Made up your mind yet?

While evaluating B program definitely career service plays a role but question is “does it plays most important role?”

Consider one don’t have solid understanding of business fundamentals and was able to secure job in leading firm, with good package, just because one belongs to Top 10 school. Without a good foundation will the person able to rise in his / her career and provide value to job? This being said academic strength plays major role for career, and Olin with its excellent academic program and smaller class size provides this.

Also, it’s not just about core courses, electives, case competitions, clubs, etc holds importance too. With a Top 10 school’s class of 300 to 400+ sometimes it’s not even possible to enroll in your choice of subjects because of limited seats. Olin has the advantage that one can gain maximum out and don’t have to compromise just because of seats availability

We can take a look on recruiter’s perspective too, Recruiters made most optimized selection of schools based on their past experience and budget. Why would a recruiter visit 50th rank school where out of 100 members class recruiter found at most only one qualifying its expectations. This is the main reason for most good recruiters visit to Top 10. But at the same time if your resume, grades and knowledge are good, then on your contact recruiter will definitely call you for interview. With the evolvement of video interviewing this task had become much easier.

Also, there are lots of schools where regardless of you being first in class recruiters won’t select you because recruiters don’t have trust on School’s academic strength, Luckily Olin doesn’t falls into this category.

I may sound very optimistic above, but definitely if I had an invite from Top 10, I would have gone with it. If one thinks next year one can crack Top 10 and one can wait for a year then please wait. But I must say, selection at Top 10 is bit tricky with no guarantee

And btw, I already deposited my $2000 and will be joining class of 2012. See you guys there

Bye for now
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ksjhawk wrote:
My decision (and deposit) are due tomorrow. Anyone making a decision now?

ksjhawk,

Decision day huh? What'z the word?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had my interview this morning. It was very conversational. Did anyone who applied for R2 have an interview already? heard back?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Just finished my phone interview. Meh, don't think it went too well :( I was a bit nervous, and I think I over prepared this with HBS-level questions that I didn't grasp the basics.

Oh well, that was my first interview anyway, live and learn :oops:

How long you guys usually waited between interview and decision?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
Aldrak wrote:
Just finished my phone interview. Meh, don't think it went too well :( I was a bit nervous, and I think I over prepared this with HBS-level questions that I didn't grasp the basics.

Oh well, that was my first interview anyway, live and learn :oops:

How long you guys usually waited between interview and decision?

6 days for me. I just found out I was admitted! I'm so thrilled.

I plan on going to try and see the school. Can anyone provide advice on where to stay or any other travel information?

Thank you, and good luck to all.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V35
Send PM
Congrats bigdre!

And admitted here too! :-D

Man that was much more sweeter than HBS's admission process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did you guys(who got admitted) get a phone call? Someone called me today from Olin but I missed the call.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V35
Send PM
bmw4me wrote:
Did you guys(who got admitted) get a phone call? Someone called me today from Olin but I missed the call.

I got it in email. But he mentioned that he wanted to call, but didn't since it was midnight here in Riyadh.

That is very likely an admit call mate :-D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools:Michigan 2012
Send PM
Aldrak wrote:
bmw4me wrote:

I got it in email. But he mentioned that he wanted to call, but didn't since it was midnight here in Riyadh.

That is very likely an admit call mate :-D

I would agree. They did leave me a voicemail though.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bmw4me wrote:

Ya, if you live Statesside, you'd get a call. Check your message...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts