Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 20:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: Ross '10
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 161 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 16:49
I think it will be a cop out if you dont answer this question. If you dont tell why you want to do an MBA, then why would any school admit you instead of someone who has a clear goal in mind. At the minimum, it will look really weird that you did not answer the question.

And if you cant rationalize your goal for HBS, how are you going to do it at other schools? Even if schools dont explicitly ask "why is it meaningful to you", they expect you to make it obvious why that career choice makes sense to you. My suggestion is that you ponder this question and come up with a strategy even if it takes you a while.

This from someone who was dinged without second thoughts by HBS. So, choose to take my advice at your own peril.

terp06 wrote:
I've been pondering the HBS essay questions.

My initial thought is this:

Essay 3.4: What is your career vision and why is this choice meaningful to you?

I don't feel that it's a smart idea to respond to this question if your career vision is to go into private equity/investment banking. It seems far too cookie-cutter and you may also have a difficult time justifying why "this choice is meaningful to you". I feel that it's only worthwhile to select this question out of the 4 if your career vision is rooted in a saving the world-type endeavor or if your career vision closely matches your pre-MBA qualifications and background.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2008, 16:54
There's always multiple angles when looking at things - and I just wanted to spur a discussion :)

I feel that if you come from a consulting/banking/strategy/marketing type background - they are simply not going to be very worried about whether or not you become successful after HBS. It's almost a given unless you screw up. If you come from a non-traditional background - I can see where this question would add value to your application.

For people from traditional backgrounds - I feel that the Adcom would far prefer to see you answer the following 2 questions, in order to add a 3rd dimension to your application:

Essay 3.2: Discuss how you have engaged with a community or organization.
Essay 3.3: What area of the world are you most curious about and why?

Let's take an example - you have a guy who has spent 2 years at McKinsey and now he is sponsored by the firm to go get his MBA at HBS. Would he really add very much value to his application by selecting Essay 3.4 and stating that he wants to make partner in McKinsey's Financial Services group in New York? Or if you have a guy who has been in private equity before B-School - chances are he plans to return right back to private equity after school. It's wasted space for him to answer the career vision question.

I feel that Questions 3.1 and 3.4 are the easiest questions to tackle, as they are common, traditional questions asked by every school. I don't think HBS wants to see you repeat the same stuff you wrote in all of your other essays and take the easy way out - they want to see you go after the hard questions - 3.2 and 3.3.

ncprasad wrote:
I think it will be a cop out if you dont answer this question. If you dont tell why you want to do an MBA, then why would any school admit you rather than someone who has a clear goal in mind. At the minimum, it will look really weird that you did not answer the question.

And if you cant rationalize your goal for HBS, how are you going to do it at other schools? Even if schools dont ask "why is it meaningful to you", they expect you to make it obvious why that career choice makes sense to you. My suggestion is that you ponder this question and come up with a strategy even if it takes you a while.

This from someone who was dinged without second thoughts by HBS. So, choose to take my advice at your own peril.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

SVP
SVP
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Jun 2008, 19:26
FYI

Class of 2011 Application Now Live
By: Dee Leopold, Managing Director of Admissions and Financial Aid
Date: June 26, 2008

The Application for Class of 2011 goes live today...

That's really all I need to say but here's a quick note:

Please keep in mind that while it's wonderful to finally hit that "submit" button, we only begin to review applications after the October 15 Round One deadline. The Admissions Board has no knowledge of whether you submitted your application today or in October. To put it another way, we consider applications in three distinct decision rounds; within rounds, it is not a "rolling" admissions process.

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Director
Director
Schools: Harvard '11
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 28

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jun 2008, 03:21
i've taken a nice, long hiatus from b-school apps, but starting this weekend, back to full speed! hello again gmatclub.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 355

Kudos [?]: 1732 [0], given: 357

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 12:39
Expert's post
It is time to write my first post in the thread as a post-GMAT guy. :)

I was in HBS and my friend informally guided me thought all buildings and auditoriums. My question is hard and direct. What is my chance?

disadvantage: age 32, lack of international experience (the main reason why MBA)
advantage: GMAT 750, Master of Science, Master of Finance, PhD in Nanophysics (24 articles), a lot of experience as a top-level manager.

When I was in HBS, I saw a few guys who were ~40 years old. My friend said that there are ~3-4% >30 years.

Thanks in advance.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 19:11
Expert's post
TFN, Thanks

It seems that I have a story.

Thank for discussion, it helps me to shape my profile.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

SVP
SVP
Schools: Kellogg '11
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 176 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 19:55
count me in for R1. It's a long shot but why not? :)
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 12:41
Interesting link for those interested in a healthcare concentration:

http://www.hbshealthcareclub.org/user_portals/prospective_students.html
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE: Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2008, 17:57
I'm in for R1...STRENGTH AND HONOR :P
Current Student
Schools: Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 134 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 29 Jul 2008, 06:42
I was wondering if someone could provide the LOR form used by HBS, if there's one. I could not find any HBS ambassador thread.

Riverripper has posted the Career Progress Survey that Kellogg asks recommenders to complete and it is being very useful to me in preparing my recommenders' packages.

If indeed Harvard just asks for an overall letter, I'll use a generic framework.

Thanks,

P.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 15 Aug 2008, 20:52
good luck to all..i just completed my initial draft of the essays...

i am really stuck on the career vision essay..maybe it was a bad idea to start with..

as for the 2nd essay the one about mistakes and lessons learned..i dont see how i can elaborate in such limited words what i have done to improve myself since my mistake..anyone else having the same issue?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 01:05
walker wrote:

I was in HBS and my friend informally guided me thought all buildings and auditoriums. My question is hard and direct. What is my chance?

disadvantage: age 32, lack of international experience (the main reason why MBA)
advantage: GMAT 750, Master of Science, Master of Finance, PhD in Nanophysics (24 articles), a lot of experience as a top-level manager.

When I was in HBS, I saw a few guys who were ~40 years old. My friend said that there are ~3-4% >30 years.

Thanks in advance.

This is the most ridiculous resume I have ever read for a 32 year old.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 01:42
Expert's post
dominion wrote:

Why?

VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 06:05
walker wrote:
dominion wrote:

Why?

because how many 32 year olds do any of us know that has accomplished all of that???

he means it in a good way! I am not sure how that is perceived to a non-native english speaker
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 10:13
Walker, the comment was made out of admiration.
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 10:34
Expert's post
I so focus on my application that try to catch all information and fix all weak points. Therefore, any critical statements are very welcome and I am thankful for any kind of feedback... But maybe I'm just too serious :)

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 11:32
dominion wrote:
walker wrote:

Thanks in advance.

wow that's awesome! Walker since you have a lot of experience in senior management positions, would an Exec MBA be better suited to your needs?
also, I'd suggest posting your profile (maybe you did and I didn't see it) in the Member Profiles section or in the Peer Review section - you'll get more input from others that way :)
Expert Post
CEO
CEO

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 12:19
Expert's post
Yeah, I need to post my profile in other thread. Why not EMBA? All my experiences are ones in one country. Now, I'm going to go out of boundaries of my country (not only physically but also mentally), build strong international business skills and get international experiences. EMBA can just shape my current position and help in short-term goals, but in long-term period MBA advantages goes well beyond.

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 15:53
walker wrote:
Yeah, I need to post my profile in other thread. Why not EMBA? All my experiences are ones in one country. Now, I'm going to go out of boundaries of my country (not only physically but also mentally), build strong international business skills and get international experiences. EMBA can just shape my current position and help in short-term goals, but in long-term period MBA advantages goes well beyond.

Hmm - so what do you want to do after an MBA? i think your biggest challenge might be proving why you need an MBA at this point given that you already have all this experience...

cheers,
ac.
Manager
Manager

Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2008, 17:28
walker wrote:

Walker, this is an excellent explanation of why you're pursuing a full time MBA vs. an EMBA. Perhaps something of note -- my cousin is a senior director (think right below board) at a well known MNC and head of a unit that generates nearly a billion a year via 3000 employees. He expressed to me that he pursued an EMBA from Kellog/HK because one, it was the best ranked EMBA in the world when he received it, and two, he thought that stamp was necessary to make the next leap. So far, it looks like he made the right decision as he recently received a promotion which puts him within striking distance of the board. Your positions sound similar.

Last edited by dominion on 16 Aug 2008, 17:31, edited 2 times in total.
Re: Calling all HBS fall-'09 applicants   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2008, 17:28