Last visit was: 04 May 2024, 21:00 It is currently 04 May 2024, 21:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
dglasser wrote:
I imagine I'm also a non-traditional applicant, in that my background is in entertainment (first career) and now politics and government.

I have a somewhat non-traditional background as well. If anything I think this will help you at HBS, especially if you talk about entertainment and politics as passions, rather than simply as jobs you've had. My interviewer spent at least half my interview chatting about the non-traditional side of my background and was very interested to hear my story. In my opinion this is definitely something to play up.

As for the age issue, I felt pretty concerned too after reading this board (I'll be 27 at matriculation). After talking to some friends who are current students, I decided not to worry too much. There are plenty of people my age and your age at HBS now, and besides, it's not something you can change. I think real world experience in interesting industries will add to the classroom experience...but of course I'm not adcom....

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
A friend of mine emailed AdCom and fwd me autoreply he received. I thought R2 candidates might find it useful.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS from Harvard Business School!

HBS and the MBA Admissions Office will be closed for Winter Break from December 24 to January 5.

Please be advised of the following application instruction updates to be considered:
# Transcript Abroad – Not required separately if listed on primary transcript.
# Unofficial or Official Transcript – May be scanned or listed in the application.
# GPA – List each school year GPA separately, followed by the cumulative GPA.
# GPA – Do not calculate or convert to a GPA. Leave this section blank.
# Class Rank – Leave blank if the university does not offer this.
# Current Employment Date – List date of application to alert Board of present employment or ongoing activities.
# Part Time Work Experience – Report any part time experience in this section.
# Internships and Missionary Work - May be reported in either the part time or full time employment section.
# Work Experience – Report same company once, and briefly list various roles/positions. Expound on roles in resume.
# Recommendations – Three recommendations are requested. However, the Board will review applications with only 2 recommendations submitted, though not with only 1.
# Application Updates – No application updates, corrections or additional materials will be accepted.
# Recommendations – Must be submitted online only. Hardcopy recommendations will not be confirmed in application.
# Application Submission Confirmation – Candidates receive instant confirmation of application submission. No other email confirmation will be sent.
# Application Status – Status will remain as "Submitted" until the decision notification date.
# Additional Information Section – Use this section to briefly report other pertinent information, or to clarify information already reported.

For all application technology questions, please contact ApplyYourself Technology Support: 800-526-3313, or 703-234-5910.

MBA Admissions
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [1]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Kudos
agold wrote:
cpgmba wrote:
I'M IN!!! HOLY CRAP!

I knew you'd get it when they invited you! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you wont change, will you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
I GOT ONE!!! I GOT ONE!!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Interview invite! Can't believe it. Check your e-mails guys/gals!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
ashaker wrote:
congrags foodstamp !
nothing here man..i guess this is the end of the road for my harvard dreams..

Thanks guys!

Everyone still has a chance! Dee made it clear that the invites sent out today aren't the only invites they will extend in R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Kudos
Congrats foodstamp!

No interview invite here, either. Here's to the class of 2012!! :beer
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Schools:HBS - Class of 2012
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos
I also received an interview invite. That is 3 out of 3 (H/S/W) for R2 for me :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Schools:HBS, MIT Sloan, Stanford, Haas (withdrew with interview invite)
Send PM
Kudos
Good Luck to all the R2 interviewees!

The most helpful (and calming) advice I had was from a current RC student. He said they test the following three areas during the interview:

1. Can you speak English well enough to succeed with the case method?
2. Did you lie on your application? They will probe your essays for detail. If you told the truth, you have nothing to worry about here. Just re-read your essays and refresh your memory with the details.
3. Can you pass an 'airplane test'? In other words, if the interviewer were stuck next to you on a long flight, would he/she be happy to chat with you for hours? My advice here is to be yourself. Don't be arrogant or pretentious. Be friendly, personable, down-to-earth and respectful. Shower :-)

If you read back to the posts from R1, you'll find that almost everyone reported that their interviewers were really nice!
Current Student
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Texas, MIT, Kellogg
Kudos
I just recieved my HBS invite today. I was a little worried because the supposed February 9th "deadline" came and went, but they are still sending out invites. Good Luck to everyone else, and hang in there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Schools:Ross, Kellogg, Darden (i/v)
Send PM
Kudos
priyamishra wrote:
HI I REALISE THIS MAY BE THE WRONG PLACE TO BE ASKING THIS QUESTION... BUT I AM NOT ABLE TO FIND THE RIGHT PLACE WHERE SOMEBODY CAN GIVE ME THE ANSWERS I WANT....

I HAVE A EXP OF 7 MONTHS TO DATE... I AM PLANNING TO JOIN A SCHOOL IN SEP 2010 WHEN I WILL HAVE 2 YEARS EXP. I HAVE A 9.04 OUT OF 10 CGPA IN B.TECH AND 91% IN 12TH AND 93.5 IN 10TH. SOME SMALL INSTANCES OF LEADERSHIP IN SCHOOL AND COLLEGE DAYS ALSO BUT NOTHING MAJOR.... CAN ANY BODY TELL ME HOW GOOD MY PROFIL WILL BE WITH A GOOD GMAT SCORE.... WILL I BE ABLE TO MAK IT ESPECIALLY AS I HAVE LESS WORK EXP... AND ALSO WAT OTHER SCHOOLS I MAY HAVE A DECENT OPPURTUNITY.... PLEASE ANSWER

THANK YOU

1. Pls avoid caps.

2. This might be a better place.
Current Student
Schools:Harvard, Wharton, Texas, MIT, Kellogg
Kudos
Hey Guys,

Finished my HBS on campus Interview, and I wish I could say I felt good coming out of it, but it was definitely a daunting experience.

Like a lot of other people have reported, it was 30 minutes on the dot. Very few pleasantries, the interviewer explained the process, reiterated that if she interrupted it wasn't because she was trying to be rude, and that she had read my file.

Most of the questions were very specific to my application - we jumped around a lot. She threw random questions at me that weren't specific such as:

Why my undergrad institution
What book i've recently read
What I think of the current financial markets

All in all, it reminded me of an I-bank interview - keeping me off balance and asking digging questions. The questions I had prepared, didn't come up at all (resources: Montauk, clearadmit.com, etc.), and I definitely felt as if I fumbled through a few of the answers.

The best advice I can give, is to really take a second before answering questions, it definitely would have made my thoughts that much clearer.

Good Luck to Everyone
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [1]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Kudos
A useful "Something for Everyone" blog entry:

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/blog.html

Something for Everyone!
Date: March 24, 2009
This is the time of year when we have all three rounds in play, so here is some news for everyone:

Round One Waitlist - We will be extending offers of admission to about 40 round one waitlisters shortly after April 2. We will continue to maintain a waitlist and Eileen Chang will send out an update in early April.

Round Two Notification - April 2 is the notification date. All decisions will be released online - you will receive an email instructing you to check your status. We won't be making any congratulatory phone calls in advance of April 2!

Round Three Interview Invitations - Many, but not all, will go out on April 3.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
OK guys,
I'll go first......
Why do you think HBS is leading the drive to go younger??
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Wharton '11
Send PM
Really not sure but that's not in my favor as I will have 6 years of experience when school starts... :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
HBS will be VERY tough if you have lots of w/e, unless you are ex-military or did something unique. Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience (typical example: a guy with 3 yrs in M&A at Lazard, and 2 years in a top PE firm; one guy with 3 years at McK and 2 years in early stage VC). So good luck but just know it's tough if you are over 27
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Quote:
Most of the kids I met at Wharton Welcome Weekend were absolutely fabulous, but had gotten dinged by HBS b/c they had 5-6 years experience

Kids having 5-6 yrs. exp.??? how old are you?? 80??? :P
Nah..... I m not worried as I m 24 now....... 25 when hopefully matriculate........ So, this news is roses for me, but I was concerned about the motive behind this "innovation".....
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6925 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts