Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Calling all Jones (Rice) Applicants! Fall 2013 [#permalink]
jcording wrote:
gtg279v wrote:
crackHSW wrote:
Dinged , thought Rice was a safety school

I thought so as well, and I was Dinged. I was going for the MBAP program. I am competitive in all other categories and my gmat is 700 vs their 623 average. My interview was great, and I thought I was a shoe-in. I do think the adcom could have picked up on it.

I was talking to Sue, and she told me herself:

"I can look at a candidates profile and determine if they really get whats going on at Rice, or if they are planning to go to UT."

Did you get feedback already? If so, did you call or email? I emailed Melissa and my interviewer for feedback this morning.

"Thank you for your email and your interest in the Rice MBA for Professionals program.

The admissions committee does not offer feedback to applicants that are not admitted to the program. In the event you decide to apply in the future, the admissions committee looks forward to reviewing your application."
Intern
Intern
Send PM
^^^

Yup, verbatim - except I was going for full time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UTDB wrote:

Maybe the adcom picked up on this?

I hate to say it, but it's like it HURTS your application if you tell them you are looking at other school at the same level, or better than them (Rice).[/quote]

While I agree that it can hurt your chances, I was forthcoming with the other schools I was applying to (2 of which were higher ranked) and it seemingly didn't have a negative impact. I also made a very strong effort to show Rice how serious I was about their program. I visited campus for an information session (from out of town), I came back to campus while in Houston on business and grabbed coffee with a current 2nd year student, and I also met some of the adcom staff at a local MBA fair in my city.

All that to say, if you never showed your true interest in Rice it could hurt you but simply applying to other schools isn't the sole reason for the ding.[/quote]

UTDB, were you admitted? I did all these things, a few times over as I'm a Houston resident - still dinged.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jcording wrote:
UTDB wrote:

Maybe the adcom picked up on this?

I hate to say it, but it's like it HURTS your application if you tell them you are looking at other school at the same level, or better than them (Rice).

While I agree that it can hurt your chances, I was forthcoming with the other schools I was applying to (2 of which were higher ranked) and it seemingly didn't have a negative impact. I also made a very strong effort to show Rice how serious I was about their program. I visited campus for an information session (from out of town), I came back to campus while in Houston on business and grabbed coffee with a current 2nd year student, and I also met some of the adcom staff at a local MBA fair in my city.

All that to say, if you never showed your true interest in Rice it could hurt you but simply applying to other schools isn't the sole reason for the ding.[/quote]

UTDB, were you admitted? I did all these things, a few times over as I'm a Houston resident - still dinged.[/quote]

Yes, I was admitted.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
gtg279v wrote:
UTDB wrote:

All that to say, if you never showed your true interest in Rice it could hurt you but simply applying to other schools isn't the sole reason for the ding.

I completely agree with what your saying and I am in no way indicating that applying to other schools is a sole reason for a denial at Rice. Also note that none of my comments are directed toward your case. I am saying, however, that based on comments from the adcom and the perceived goal of the adcom to seek to determine if a candidate truly "gets" the Rice program or if a candidate just plans to go somewhere else, I can see how this can weigh negatively against you. Further, I do believe that there is a level of foresight into maintaining a reasonable matriculation rate.

Anyway, I enjoyed going to the information sessions, admissions 101, etc and the application process itself was a good learning process for me. Oh well.

Well said. I agree with your position about the matriculation rate.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UTDB wrote:

Yes, I was admitted.

Congrats! Rice is a great school. Otherwise we wouldn't be here, right?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Its unfortunate I can't get some feedback on their decision =/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Long time lurker here. Just thought I'll share my 2 cents - I think notifying them the schools you applied to can both play to your advantage and disadvantage. All the other schools I applied to were ranked higher than rice, and I put the schools on my application. I however had a genuine interest in Rice and not just as a safety school, particularly since I live in Houston. It culminated in an admit and 100% scholarship. I am heavily leaning to Rice at this point in time.

I think seeing other schools on my application made them make the offer more competitive. If they had perceived that I see them as a safety school, it may have resulted in a ding.

Congrats to all Admits, and best of luck to ALL
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
R2 Full-time applicant here. Still no word from admissions. Seems like most admits/dings have already gone out. Not sure what to make of my situation...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Rice University (Jones) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
kawasaki wrote:
Long time lurker here. Just thought I'll share my 2 cents - I think notifying them the schools you applied to can both play to your advantage and disadvantage. All the other schools I applied to were ranked higher than rice, and I put the schools on my application. I however had a genuine interest in Rice and not just as a safety school, particularly since I live in Houston. It culminated in an admit and 100% scholarship. I am heavily leaning to Rice at this point in time.

I think seeing other schools on my application made them make the offer more competitive. If they had perceived that I see them as a safety school, it may have resulted in a ding.

Congrats to all Admits, and best of luck to ALL

Agree.

I think something similar is what happened to me, though totally inadvertent on my part. I highly recommend nobody try to "game" the system though.

Rice wants to be a top school, so they want ambitious people and competitive applicants who want to be at top schools. But first and foremost they certainly want people who want to be at Rice specifically and didn't just pick it as a random safety. The earlier point on matriculation is a wise one. Also understand, they need to build a diverse class with a very limited number of spots. Plenty of strong candidates could get a ding simply because there were a lot of other candidates with similar background.

Congrats to all admitted. Good luck to R3 and R4.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
Send PM
I got an interview invite the second week of January (r2 applicant) but did not interview till second week of Feb. I just made an excuse that I was out of the country for work because I was too busy working on other applications. Do you think this could have played a role in my Ding. Did they conclude that I was not too keen in their school because I did not interview immediately. I just cant get my head around the fact that I got rejected :) and I would like some sort of closure. Any thoughts guys?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
ace312 wrote:
I got an interview invite the second week of January (r2 applicant) but did not interview till second week of Feb. I just made an excuse that I was out of the country for work because I was too busy working on other applications. Do you think this could have played a role in my Ding. Did they conclude that I was not too keen in their school because I did not interview immediately. I just cant get my head around the fact that I got rejected :) and I would like some sort of closure. Any thoughts guys?

I can't imagine that causing a Ding. These things are so hard to break down. If your grades and GMAT were on par then it comes down to how enthusiastic you came across about the program and if you can bring something unique to the school. I had below average GPA and GMAT but I think my essays were stellar, I met multiple current students out for a beer to pick their brain about the program, went to a ton of school info sessions, and the admin team seemed to love my unique work experience and saw I could bring something unique to the program.

You probably won't get an acceptable answer anywhere. Unless you can get someone from the school to give you feedback. If that's even possible.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey!
My application shows that I am wait-listed.
What does that mean? Is it a ding or is there actually some kind of waitlist?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Get dinged as well. It was a total nightmare cuz Rice was my first choice. I had a pretty good profile and my interview went really well. The only reason I can think of after reading the previous posts is that I have listed UT McCombs on my application. Actually I have already been admitted by UT and several other very good schools, but I'm definitely heading for Houston if only I received the admit from Rice. Unfortenately the result didn't go well, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the apearance of the McCombs name on my application. I realized until now that Rice could be a little sensitive to McCombs. Anyway, it was truly heart-broken for me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
withjune wrote:
Get dinged as well. It was a total nightmare cuz Rice was my first choice. I had a pretty good profile and my interview went really well. The only reason I can think of after reading the previous posts is that I have listed UT McCombs on my application. Actually I have already been admitted by UT and several other very good schools, but I'm definitely heading for Houston if only I received the admit from Rice. Unfortenately the result didn't go well, I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the apearance of the McCombs name on my application. I realized until now that Rice could be a little sensitive to McCombs. Anyway, it was truly heart-broken for me.

I'm so sorry to hear that. I included McCombs on my app as well and I'd venture to guess most Admitted have too. At least you got good news at some other schools. So congrats for that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 12-17-2012
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
withjune wrote:

I agree with most of the other related comments and would like to weigh in and comment that you shouldn't feel bad that you listed McCombs on your application, or anyone else for that matter. Its obviously founded for applicants to have interest in multiple programs and I am doubtful that they would ding you for being honest and listing McCombs. I understand that some people try to be strategic with what other schools they may list on their applications, but one shouldn't worry themselves after the fact with thinking that one could have been better off withholding information. I am not inclined to skew my story for perceptions sake (not that you did or would), applicants should feel confident applying where they are applying and speak to it because they are. Like another post said, there are a zillion different factors schools use to evaluate candidates and it may come down to a case of similar profiles. Nonetheless, sorry to hear about the ding, but congrats on your other admissions, it sounds like you have some great options to choose from!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hi guys!

congs to all admitted

I need your any opinions pls
for international student who wants to work in Houston in consulting
dose it looks silly to go to Vandy with full scholarship instead of Rice with 50% scholarship?

and any ideas for the same one choosing among

Owen 100% Vs Rice 50% Vs Emory little $ Vs Darden no scholarship?

Thank you so much!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts