Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 02:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross: R1, Insead, ISB R2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 05:41
Thanks Jerz
Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 09:46
Jerz wrote:
RogerDodger wrote:
General question for the group.

Part 1 of Kellogg's app asks for extracurriculars (pre and post undergrad). Have you included the same ECs in your resume? I'd prefer to include... but not sure if there's a concensus one way or another.

You'll generally want to avoid duplicating information in multiple places in the app. You only get a finite amount of space to sell your candidacy so use it wisely. My suggestion would be not to restate the ECs on your resume and instead use the resume space to talk more about accomplishments at work. Or, if you have a big accomplishment at an EC that doesn't fit well into the EC section then include that on your resume.

Thanks Jerz, that makes a lot of sense. Do you know if Kellogg does blind interviews? Or do they review the profile and/or resume prior? I'm assuming essays aren't read, since some people can potentially interview before essays are even due.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Aug 2010, 09:58
count me in R1. I applied in Jan R and was WLed until May.
VP
VP
Schools: Kellogg Class of 2011
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 238 [0], given: 17

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 19 Aug 2010, 01:56
RogerDodger wrote:
Thanks Jerz, that makes a lot of sense. Do you know if Kellogg does blind interviews? Or do they review the profile and/or resume prior? I'm assuming essays aren't read, since some people can potentially interview before essays are even due.

Interviews are blind. They'll only see your resume prior to the interview.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Schools: Columbia - Class of 2013
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 19

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Aug 2010, 13:47
how are you doing so far with the essays?
I am starting to write them...
By the way, you have to submit your resume and other personal data in September, right?
for R1.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: DukeTuck,Kelogg,Darden
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 28

Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2010, 10:32
malbec wrote:
how are you doing so far with the essays?
I am starting to write them...
By the way, you have to submit your resume and other personal data in September, right?
for R1.

Depends on whehter you will sign up for off campus or on campus interview.

Foe off campus it is September 24 for on campus it is October 14.

Run towards the things that make you uncomfortable daily. The greatest risk is not taking risks
http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-690-to-730-q50-v38-97356.html

Intern
Intern
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 23 Aug 2010, 11:41
Count me in for R1 - -reapplicant from R2 last year.

Need some help -

1) Any pointers on how to differentiate your essays from the previous ones, if you are a reapplicant?
2) For reapplicants - does anyone know if both sets of essays (current and previous years') as well as recommendations (two from the previous year and 1 new recommendation) are viewed together by ADCOM ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
Followers: 78

Kudos [?]: 701 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 18:10
I am looking forward to interviewing some candidates this year and being on the otherside of the table this time around.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Manager
Manager
Schools: Booth class of 2013
WE 1: 6 yrs product development (tech)
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 23

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 18:37
riverripper wrote:
I am looking forward to interviewing some candidates this year and being on the otherside of the table this time around.

riverripper, it's good to know that you will be one of the alum interviewers ... which brings me to my question. Since you've been through the process before and are now on the other end, what's your take on the eternal "on-campus interview with adcom vs off-campus interview with alum" question? I've heard and read mixed reviews from people.

- Some current students (not all from Kellogg) advised that alum-interviews are preferable as these are usually more relaxed and conversational, even if the content and questions posed in the interview are similar to those in ad-com interview.
- I think it was on an admissions-consultant blog that I read it is more advantageous to have ad-com interview. The reasoning was that if there is a discussion between ad-com members about an application, you'd have someone voicing support for you in the room while if you'd had an alum-interview, you have no such luck.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

My profile
My GMAT experience

Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 19:13
riverripper, I am wondering why Chicagoland people must only do off-campus alumni interviews and not on-campus ones?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 19:28
I dont know for sure but I assume it has something to do with campus visits and how if you are in Chicago you can go anytime. Other people have to make a big effort to get there so the school wants them to be able to complete everything at once.

Interviewing with alums isn't going to hurt or help...same for adcoms. Considering most on campus interviews are with 1st year students I think you will get a lot more out of interviews with recent alums who completed the full 2 years and both sets of recruiting.

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Booth (R1), Wharton (R2), Kellogg (R2), Columbia

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2010, 21:12
In for round 2
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 295

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2010, 15:05
riverripper wrote:
I dont know for sure but I assume it has something to do with campus visits and how if you are in Chicago you can go anytime. Other people have to make a big effort to get there so the school wants them to be able to complete everything at once.

Interviewing with alums isn't going to hurt or help...same for adcoms. Considering most on campus interviews are with 1st year students I think you will get a lot more out of interviews with recent alums who completed the full 2 years and both sets of recruiting.

That makes sense. Riverriper, are you in the chicago area? ;)
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 13:00
In for R1!! Reapplicant from R1 last year.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden (R1), Duke (R1), Kellogg 1Y (R1), Berkeley MBA/MPH (R2), Wharton (R2)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2010, 13:22
I'm in for R1. Summer Waitlisted last year and ready to get the admit this year!
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg R1 (waitlist), LBS R1 (waitlist), Ivey+$$$
WE 1: Program Management / Marketing / Technology Integration
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 5

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:17
OMG OMG OMG!

I just submitted Part 1 of the application. My nerves are already shot, I don't know how I'm going to make it to December.

Has anyone else submitted yet?
Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, MIT
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2010, 17:24
I am in for round 1!

Very cool that you have submitted part 1, Emb... I'm with you, I can't believe I'm stressing over this when the hardest part (ESSAYS) is yet to come...

Question for my fellow supplicants -- I don't have great traditional extracurricular activities from college because I was working and interning, especially in the last two years. My sense on Kellogg is that they love MBA extracurriculars so they're not just asking to see if you kept busy, they specifically want to know what kind of role you played in the community.

Does it makes sense to put my kind of lame extracurriculars (coached a youth soccer team for a year... waaaouw), then discuss my internships & part time jobs in the additional statement?

I wasn't paying my way through school, I just liked working and learned a lot from it.

Anyway, happy essay writing to you all. I'm sure we will be commiserating over the coming weeks...

"It never hurts to help!"

Intern
Intern
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2014

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 10:30
Embeayy wrote:
OMG OMG OMG!

I just submitted Part 1 of the application. My nerves are already shot, I don't know how I'm going to make it to December.

Woah - very cool. Here I am stressing over how to get my application in by R1 (and in the process secretly flirting with R2) and there you go with R1 Part1!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 18:34
gkumar wrote:
Riverriper, are you in the chicago area? ;)

Nope and good thing for you. I am going to be a tough interview haha...don't want to let any bums into school and mess up the future value of my degree.

Current Student
Schools: Foster, Sloan (WL w/int.), Kellogg, Anderson
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 36

Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants! [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 20:00
Embeayy wrote:
OMG OMG OMG!

Submitted Part 1 as well and scheduled an interview. :shock: Trying to forget about it at least for a little while and focus on essays... Work has been a nightmare though...

Who needs sleep, right? :|
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2011 Applicants!   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2010, 20:00