Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 09:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: NYU Stern '11
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 205 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 15:08
The first interview invites started going out sometime mid-December, I believe. If you submitted well before the deadline, you would probably hear a bit sooner.

LeftOut wrote:
Not sure if this has been addressed...

When I attended an info session, they said that the Feb notification deadline is the LATEST you'll hear back. Does anyone know what sort of time frame they started notifying about interviews/dings last year?

My recos are in and my application is done and submitted - I'm officially in for R1! Woohoo.
Director
Director
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 15:56
So NYU has rolling admissions within rounds, i.e. earlier R1 submit gets earlier review?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 16:03
No one knows for sure, the official adcom version is no rolling admissions, just rolling "notification" according to their website.

Here's a snippet from the website I posted a few pages earlier. At least last year, most of the early applicants received interview decisions earlier. The bulk of the people who applied right around the deadline seemed to get invites in late December / early January.

Sounds pretty much like rolling admissions to me.

sonibubu wrote:
So NYU has rolling admissions within rounds, i.e. earlier R1 submit gets earlier review?

Quote:
"Because NYU Stern follows a rolling notification process, you should request your official transcript(s), translations and/or degree conferral(s) early in the application process, before you are invited to interview."
http://w4.stern.nyu.edu/admissions/full ... oc_id=7465
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 15 Nov 2008, 17:50
OK thanks. FYI, at the NYU info session, Isser Gallagly said they expect to invite 50% to interview and 60% of those invited for interview will receive offers of admission.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 07:58
Is that for R1 only?

Otherwise how is their selectivity 14%?

sonibubu wrote:
They expect to invite 50% to interview and 60% of those invited for interview will receive offers of admission.

No more R1 applicants here? ryguy904, kidderek - when did you two submit?
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 08:06
solaris1 wrote:
Is that for R1 only?

Otherwise how is their selectivity 14%?

sonibubu wrote:
They expect to invite 50% to interview and 60% of those invited for interview will receive offers of admission.

sonibubu - The 50% interviewed seems high compared to what I remember. I believe I was told about 25% interviewed and 60% of those interviewed receive offers. I remember the percentage invited to interview was low because it seemed flipped from places like Cornell, where they interview a higher number, but make offers to fewer people.

solaris - The numbers I was told will get you to 15%, so I'm sure there's rounding in there somewhere.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 08:33
LeftOut wrote:
solaris - The numbers I was told will get you to 15%, so I'm sure there's rounding in there somewhere.

Makes more sense, LeftOut - thanks. So only 1 in 4 applicants will be offered an interview. Yikes.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 16 Nov 2008, 09:23
Yeah that makes more sense. My bad.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 12:41
I decided to go R2 for Stern. I just wanted to make sure my app was the best it could be. Getting it in Saturday would have been a rush job. Good luck to all the R1ers!

"Sic volvere parcas..."

Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 140 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 13:46
Remember, the 15% selectivity rate is not equally distributed over all three admission rounds. I believe it is highest for round one and greatly lower for round 3.

So it could be 25% for round 1 , 15% for round 2, and 5 % for round 3. (that's just a guess and approximation)
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 17 Nov 2008, 14:16
I honestly do not think there is any difference between applying R1 or R2, save for the scholarship possibilities.

Historic interview rates are 20-30% interviewed, 60-70% receiving offers.

While the notion of a rolling process on reviewing files makes some sense, I urge anyone applying not to weigh this too highly in their fear or neurosis of the application situation. There are many reasons why some move at different speeds through the process, and always will be interviews being granted till the end.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:03
From the most recent Businessweek stats:

NYU Stern
Applications (admitted and denied) to the newest class: 4779
Applicants who were accepted to the most recent class: 15 %
Admitted applicants who enrolled in the newest class: 57 %
Applicants (admitted and denied) who were interviewed: 22 %

It reaffirms that an interview invite is indeed "almost there" - of course that's only because they'll invite only about 1 in 5 applicants to interview.

I'm a little surprised NYU's yield isn't higher though.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 18 Nov 2008, 13:47
Interesting that NYU had more apps than chicago Booth last year. I think yield is low because NYU is a backup to Columbia, and Wharton.

Heck, even Kellogg had under 60% yield. I'm pretty sure Chicago GSB is in the same book. HBS, Stanford, and CBS have the highest yields followed by Wharton.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 20 Nov 2008, 17:51
hey sterny, you get the password to the application status check website yet? i'm sure you're going to be the first one to report any movement on the thread.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 11:52
solaris1 wrote:
hey sterny, you get the password to the application status check website yet? i'm sure you're going to be the first one to report any movement on the thread.

I got an email today with my password to the application status check. It doesn't say anything other than they've received my app, they are going to review it at some point, and I will hear something by the Initial Notification Deadline in Feb.

Since I submitted on the 15th and no one else has reported getting this email, maybe it's all a lie that they review them in the order they're received...maybe it's LIFO?

Or maybe they're just plucking the low-hanging fruit first? :?
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 21 Nov 2008, 13:10
Cool, thanks for letting us know LeftOut.

LeftOut wrote:
I got an email today with my password to the application status check. It doesn't say anything other than they've received my app, they are going to review it at some point, and I will hear something by the Initial Notification Deadline in Feb.

Since I submitted on the 15th and no one else has reported getting this email, maybe it's all a lie that they review them in the order they're received...maybe it's LIFO?

Current Student
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 102 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 06:58
So i checked my spam and i DID recieve a notification! On Nov 12, I got a notification saying that my application is being presented to the adcom for review - and yes I recieved the password for the status check website
VP
VP
Schools: NYU Stern 2009
Followers: 38

Kudos [?]: 218 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 22 Nov 2008, 11:10
LeftOut wrote:

An automated message - you receive that when your application is completed online. Say if you posted an essay 3, you will receive that.

Current Student
Schools: Tuck

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 09:41
I applied in round one and I still don't know anything. Do you know what rate of applicants are interviewed?
SVP
SVP
Schools: Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Followers: 71

Kudos [?]: 685 [0], given: 548

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2008, 10:19
sonibubu wrote:
OK thanks. FYI, at the NYU info session, Isser Gallagly said they expect to invite 50% to interview and 60% of those invited for interview will receive offers of admission.

According to this Q&A in Businessweek, it is only 25 to 30%....

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/mb ... page_2.htm

Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants!   [#permalink] 01 Dec 2008, 10:19