Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 20:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 01:33
what i fidn fantastic about ross is the large percentage of the student bosy that is interested to explore careers that have a social enterprise angle...id like such a studnet body where Ihave the chance to learn from them as opposed to studnet body 50% of whom are only interested in IB. Only becuase IB is not an interest of mine. but does it make it harder to get in to ross if you want to pursue a more traditional career path such as consultign vs a career with a social/sutainability focus
Current Student
Joined: 18 Jun 2009
Posts: 367
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 21

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 05:00
aditi123 wrote:
what i fidn fantastic about ross is the large percentage of the student bosy that is interested to explore careers that have a social enterprise angle...id like such a studnet body where Ihave the chance to learn from them as opposed to studnet body 50% of whom are only interested in IB. Only becuase IB is not an interest of mine. but does it make it harder to get in to ross if you want to pursue a more traditional career path such as consultign vs a career with a social/sutainability focus



With the exception of last year,Ross does place a fairly good number of people in GM/MC roles.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 19 Nov 2009
Posts: 42
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 08:35
mjjking wrote:
jag120 wrote:
Sure,
age:25/700/European/2 years of international WE/Engineering



Hey I'm European too! 8-) Where are you from? Do you already have 2 years of we or is it at matriculation? I have 1y8m of WE so far... hope it's enough (27 months at matriculation)!! :?:


From France! What about you? As for the WE. I'm exacty like you, I will have 2 years at matriculation....
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 19:13
aditi123 wrote:
what i fidn fantastic about ross is the large percentage of the student bosy that is interested to explore careers that have a social enterprise angle...id like such a studnet body where Ihave the chance to learn from them as opposed to studnet body 50% of whom are only interested in IB. Only becuase IB is not an interest of mine. but does it make it harder to get in to ross if you want to pursue a more traditional career path such as consultign vs a career with a social/sutainability focus


While Rossers are socially conscious, Ross is a traditional b-school and the vast majority students are interested in pursuing careers in consulting, finance, marketing, brand management, general management, etc. I disagree that it's harder to get into Ross if you want to explore a traditional career path - that's why people go to business school. What's great is that Rossers are aware of sustainability and social impact issues and when they go out and pursue their traditional careers, they can incorporate this into core strategy, decision-making, and operations.

Sustainability really shouldn't be a separate course or track - it should be integrated into every class. But we're not there yet--no one's there yet. What's great is that because there's a good portion of the student body that cares about these issues, these topics come up in discussion, in conferences, clubs, etc. so students become more aware and gain a better understanding of these topics. The classes which focus on environmental issues are gaining in popularity because students recognize that environmental issues are not going away and will become an important part of running a business. It's true that students have pushed Ross to have a greater focus on sustainability. An example is the Sustainable Finance class that arose because students were interested in this topic and worked with a professor to get a curriculum developed. It's now one of the most popular finance classes. Ross though is a traditional b-school and while students here are not as heavily focused in IB or finance as other schools, we compete directly with the other top b-schools.
_________________


http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief


Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2009, 19:59
thanks peaceyall. I am interested in Ross precisely because I feel it will prepare me very well for a traditional GM career by ensuring I have an understanding of and exposure to issues such as sustainability, environmental impact etc as well.

Was just (naviely so ) concerned if it is a negative in the admission process to have a traiditonal goal.

Thanks for the detailed reply!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 06:03
hey!
I'm working on my R2 app and am struggling with the first essay word limits as it is much shorter than that of most schools.
Are you explaining in at least a few lines why u have chosen certain goals? also on why mba is the best choice right now are you really listing your evaluations of different options? The reason i ask is because if I do that then I'm left with lil or no space to explain what convinced me to choose Ross.
any advise??
Manager
Manager
Joined: 01 Aug 2009
Posts: 213
Schools: Ross (R1-Admit)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 11:09
Hi Aditi
Just a R1 applicant here so take my advice for whatever it is worth. Even I was struggling with the first essay, but the way I handled it was....that I included very little career history. Earlier I was including too much career history and was left with very little space for other parts. And it would be better if you answer all the tails like why now and why MBA(if it is asked,I dont remember the question exactly)
Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 13:12
I have heard that Ross is one of the schools that does not release admissions decisions on a rolling basis (i.e., all applicants receive the admissions outcome on the same day - Jan 15 for Round 1). Anyone know if this is the case?
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:35
MarieLA wrote:
I have heard that Ross is one of the schools that does not release admissions decisions on a rolling basis (i.e., all applicants receive the admissions outcome on the same day - Jan 15 for Round 1). Anyone know if this is the case?


From my experience, decisions are released at the same time with admissions officers calling those admitted. It "rolls" during the day or maybe two if they can't reach you, but that's it.
_________________


http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief


Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 09 Mar 2007
Posts: 192
Schools: Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 01 Dec 2009, 19:36
aditi123 wrote:
thanks peaceyall. I am interested in Ross precisely because I feel it will prepare me very well for a traditional GM career by ensuring I have an understanding of and exposure to issues such as sustainability, environmental impact etc as well.

Was just (naviely so ) concerned if it is a negative in the admission process to have a traiditonal goal.

Thanks for the detailed reply!


no prob. good luck with the app!
_________________


http://www.erb.umich.edu/
http://www.umsocialventure.com
post558169.html#558169 - a compilation of b-school interview questions
8-66345.html - my (detailed) gmat debrief


Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2009
Posts: 221
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 47 [0], given: 22

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:51
Hi everybody,

I have an interview at Ross this coming Monday and am spending the earlier part of the day doing the standard 'visit' activities. What's the dress code in that case? Should I be suited up all day, or is it normal to change for the interview?

Thanks and good luck to all!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 05 Aug 2008
Posts: 1262
Schools: Ross 2012
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 20

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2009, 11:54
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have an interview at Ross this coming Monday and am spending the earlier part of the day doing the standard 'visit' activities. What's the dress code in that case? Should I be suited up all day, or is it normal to change for the interview?

Thanks and good luck to all!


When I went last year, the people interviewing would be wearing suits, while people interviewing the next day were dress business casual.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 14:39
starting to get nervous about not receiving an invite. I felt like I put forth a strong application.

Anyone in the same boat? or have any info about how admissions is coming along?

I was comparing to last year. Time and time again they said invites will go into the first week of December. Seems as though they had the same app dates and all that.

Maybe more applicants this year means more delays with invites?

here's hoping...
-house
Intern
Intern
Joined: 16 Nov 2009
Posts: 14
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2009, 14:45
The Ross admissions blog posted this the other day:

12/01/2009
Round 1 Update
We are in the process of wrapping up our Round 1 decisions. All interview invitations have been extended (except for Consortium interviews; I'll get to that later). If you didn't receive an invitation to interview, it doesn't necessarily mean you will not be admitted. For some, it may mean that we'll reconsider interviewing you in Round 2 or 3.

Our goal is to wrap up Round 1 interviews by December 11 and spend the following weeks reviewing interview reports in concert with the application evaluations. Our office will be closed between Christmas and New Year's.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 02 Feb 2009
Posts: 36
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 00:55
MarieLA wrote:
The Ross admissions blog posted this the other day:

12/01/2009
Round 1 Update
We are in the process of wrapping up our Round 1 decisions. All interview invitations have been extended (except for Consortium interviews; I'll get to that later). If you didn't receive an invitation to interview, it doesn't necessarily mean you will not be admitted. For some, it may mean that we'll reconsider interviewing you in Round 2 or 3.

Our goal is to wrap up Round 1 interviews by December 11 and spend the following weeks reviewing interview reports in concert with the application evaluations. Our office will be closed between Christmas and New Year's.


thanks for the update. Goodluck to the round 2ers.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 23 Nov 2009
Posts: 16
Schools: Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: IT Recruiting 1.5 Years
WE 2: Peace Corps Ghana 2+ years
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 01:31
Dıng from CBS ED. Joinıng R2. Good luck to all.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jan 2008
Posts: 131
Schools: Ross '11
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 11:36
peaceyall wrote:
MarieLA wrote:
I have heard that Ross is one of the schools that does not release admissions decisions on a rolling basis (i.e., all applicants receive the admissions outcome on the same day - Jan 15 for Round 1). Anyone know if this is the case?


From my experience, decisions are released at the same time with admissions officers calling those admitted. It "rolls" during the day or maybe two if they can't reach you, but that's it.


Pretty much. Last year they called on Monday and Tuesday and released all decisions on Wednesday.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 37
Schools: Ross
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 1

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 17:44
1
This post received
KUDOS
Just came back from the Saturday Interviews. Experience was great. Met about 70 prospective candidates, each one an expert in his/her field. Great interactions. Must say, the adcom was WONDERFUL.
Interview Ques were all std:
Resume run
Why MBA
Why Ross
One situation where things went awry
One instance where u helped someone without any own agenda
One person u r impressed by
Any ques u want to ask
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 19 Aug 2009
Posts: 137
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Schools: Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 9

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 06 Dec 2009, 16:55
Applied through the Consortium Round 1. Received interview invite last week and scheduled for 11/10. I'll update after the interview.
_________________

Detailed Profile with Interviews/Dings/Admits: Go Here

Manager
Manager
Joined: 25 Sep 2008
Posts: 172
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink] New post 08 Dec 2009, 05:22
where would u highlight what you can contribute to ross? They dont specifically ask for it and essay 1 doesnt give one enough space.
and what is the general view on the optional essay for ross? as it is open ended are people using it for positive spins also?
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!   [#permalink] 08 Dec 2009, 05:22
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 15 Calling all Georgetown 2010 Applicants! JimHuckle 371 15 Aug 2009, 14:35
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 332 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling all Ross 2011 applicants! lagsantiago 3678 10 May 2010, 06:59
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies. New 195 Experts publish their posts in the topic Ross 2012 - Calling All Applicants AN225 1692 13 Jul 2011, 00:58
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling all Ross 2010 applicants!

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  97    Next  [ 1928 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.