Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:47 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General,Marketing,International Business
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Calling all Ross 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
aditi123 wrote:
what i fidn fantastic about ross is the large percentage of the student bosy that is interested to explore careers that have a social enterprise angle...id like such a studnet body where Ihave the chance to learn from them as opposed to studnet body 50% of whom are only interested in IB. Only becuase IB is not an interest of mine. but does it make it harder to get in to ross if you want to pursue a more traditional career path such as consultign vs a career with a social/sutainability focus

While Rossers are socially conscious, Ross is a traditional b-school and the vast majority students are interested in pursuing careers in consulting, finance, marketing, brand management, general management, etc. I disagree that it's harder to get into Ross if you want to explore a traditional career path - that's why people go to business school. What's great is that Rossers are aware of sustainability and social impact issues and when they go out and pursue their traditional careers, they can incorporate this into core strategy, decision-making, and operations.

Sustainability really shouldn't be a separate course or track - it should be integrated into every class. But we're not there yet--no one's there yet. What's great is that because there's a good portion of the student body that cares about these issues, these topics come up in discussion, in conferences, clubs, etc. so students become more aware and gain a better understanding of these topics. The classes which focus on environmental issues are gaining in popularity because students recognize that environmental issues are not going away and will become an important part of running a business. It's true that students have pushed Ross to have a greater focus on sustainability. An example is the Sustainable Finance class that arose because students were interested in this topic and worked with a professor to get a curriculum developed. It's now one of the most popular finance classes. Ross though is a traditional b-school and while students here are not as heavily focused in IB or finance as other schools, we compete directly with the other top b-schools.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks peaceyall. I am interested in Ross precisely because I feel it will prepare me very well for a traditional GM career by ensuring I have an understanding of and exposure to issues such as sustainability, environmental impact etc as well.

Was just (naviely so ) concerned if it is a negative in the admission process to have a traiditonal goal.

Thanks for the detailed reply!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hey!
I'm working on my R2 app and am struggling with the first essay word limits as it is much shorter than that of most schools.
Are you explaining in at least a few lines why u have chosen certain goals? also on why mba is the best choice right now are you really listing your evaluations of different options? The reason i ask is because if I do that then I'm left with lil or no space to explain what convinced me to choose Ross.
any advise??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance,General Management
Schools:Ross (R1-Admit)
Send PM
Hi Aditi
Just a R1 applicant here so take my advice for whatever it is worth. Even I was struggling with the first essay, but the way I handled it was....that I included very little career history. Earlier I was including too much career history and was left with very little space for other parts. And it would be better if you answer all the tails like why now and why MBA(if it is asked,I dont remember the question exactly)
Hope it helps
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V47
Send PM
I have heard that Ross is one of the schools that does not release admissions decisions on a rolling basis (i.e., all applicants receive the admissions outcome on the same day - Jan 15 for Round 1). Anyone know if this is the case?
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
MarieLA wrote:
I have heard that Ross is one of the schools that does not release admissions decisions on a rolling basis (i.e., all applicants receive the admissions outcome on the same day - Jan 15 for Round 1). Anyone know if this is the case?

From my experience, decisions are released at the same time with admissions officers calling those admitted. It "rolls" during the day or maybe two if they can't reach you, but that's it.
Current Student
 Q49  V44
Send PM
aditi123 wrote:
thanks peaceyall. I am interested in Ross precisely because I feel it will prepare me very well for a traditional GM career by ensuring I have an understanding of and exposure to issues such as sustainability, environmental impact etc as well.

Was just (naviely so ) concerned if it is a negative in the admission process to have a traiditonal goal.

Thanks for the detailed reply!

no prob. good luck with the app!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 270 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: social enterprise
Schools:University of Michigan Ross/SNRE (Erb Institute)
 Q44  V47
Send PM
Hi everybody,

I have an interview at Ross this coming Monday and am spending the earlier part of the day doing the standard 'visit' activities. What's the dress code in that case? Should I be suited up all day, or is it normal to change for the interview?

Thanks and good luck to all!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
conmisdosmanos wrote:
Hi everybody,

I have an interview at Ross this coming Monday and am spending the earlier part of the day doing the standard 'visit' activities. What's the dress code in that case? Should I be suited up all day, or is it normal to change for the interview?

Thanks and good luck to all!

When I went last year, the people interviewing would be wearing suits, while people interviewing the next day were dress business casual.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q44  V38
Send PM
starting to get nervous about not receiving an invite. I felt like I put forth a strong application.

Anyone in the same boat? or have any info about how admissions is coming along?

I was comparing to last year. Time and time again they said invites will go into the first week of December. Seems as though they had the same app dates and all that.

Maybe more applicants this year means more delays with invites?

here's hoping...
-house
Intern
Intern
 Q47  V47
Send PM
The Ross admissions blog posted this the other day:

12/01/2009
Round 1 Update
We are in the process of wrapping up our Round 1 decisions. All interview invitations have been extended (except for Consortium interviews; I'll get to that later). If you didn't receive an invitation to interview, it doesn't necessarily mean you will not be admitted. For some, it may mean that we'll reconsider interviewing you in Round 2 or 3.

Our goal is to wrap up Round 1 interviews by December 11 and spend the following weeks reviewing interview reports in concert with the application evaluations. Our office will be closed between Christmas and New Year's.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q44  V38
Send PM
MarieLA wrote:
The Ross admissions blog posted this the other day:

12/01/2009
Round 1 Update
We are in the process of wrapping up our Round 1 decisions. All interview invitations have been extended (except for Consortium interviews; I'll get to that later). If you didn't receive an invitation to interview, it doesn't necessarily mean you will not be admitted. For some, it may mean that we'll reconsider interviewing you in Round 2 or 3.

Our goal is to wrap up Round 1 interviews by December 11 and spend the following weeks reviewing interview reports in concert with the application evaluations. Our office will be closed between Christmas and New Year's.

thanks for the update. Goodluck to the round 2ers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Ross Class of 2012
 Q48  V44
GPA: 2.57
WE 1: IT Recruiting 1.5 Years
WE 2: Peace Corps Ghana 2+ years
Send PM
Dıng from CBS ED. Joinıng R2. Good luck to all.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
peaceyall wrote:
MarieLA wrote:

From my experience, decisions are released at the same time with admissions officers calling those admitted. It "rolls" during the day or maybe two if they can't reach you, but that's it.

Pretty much. Last year they called on Monday and Tuesday and released all decisions on Wednesday.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Ross
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
Just came back from the Saturday Interviews. Experience was great. Met about 70 prospective candidates, each one an expert in his/her field. Great interactions. Must say, the adcom was WONDERFUL.
Interview Ques were all std:
Resume run
Why MBA
Why Ross
One situation where things went awry
One instance where u helped someone without any own agenda
One person u r impressed by
Any ques u want to ask
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Michigan - Ross Class of 2012
 Q42  V39
GPA: 3.41
WE 1: Marketing within Financial Services
Send PM
Applied through the Consortium Round 1. Received interview invite last week and scheduled for 11/10. I'll update after the interview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
where would u highlight what you can contribute to ross? They dont specifically ask for it and essay 1 doesnt give one enough space.
and what is the general view on the optional essay for ross? as it is open ended are people using it for positive spins also?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  97   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts