Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools:Stanford '12
GMAT 2: 710
GPA: 3.9
WE 1: Wall Street Finance
WE 2: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [2]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling All Stanford Fall 2010 applicants! [#permalink]
quantjock, how would you describe stanford v. harvard personalities in general? just curious as i was thinking they'd be somewhat similar. i don't personally know anyone who went to stanford gsb, but have a few friends at harvard right now, so it'd be an interesting comparison...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
ZOMG I GOT AN INTERVIEW!!!

woohoo!!! THERE IS HOPE!!!

came in at ~11:00 PST

YAY! :) :) :) :) :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
quam - congrats! This is quite an achievement. When did you submit your application? I am assuming most of the invites will go today/tomorrow.

Also, what is your background, if you don't mind sharing it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
i actually posted a long post here but it got deleted because someone PM'ed me

i got requests for my background so here it is (re-typing it all)

i submitted right before deadline

3.8+ at tier 3 undergrad, liberal arts
gmat way below median
6+ years w/e almost all entrepreneurship (failed)
non profit extra
recs were average every day people you meet on the street

essays were good. i spent a lot of time "introspecting" and thinking about my life in an honest way rather than thinking about the marketing spin on it. talked about how i have dealt with failure.

i truly feel fortunate and blessed and wish everyone waiting for an interview good luck, it is truly nerve-wracking!!!

i hope stanford isn't just interviewing me for their amusement... LOL...

e-mail follows:

Hello xxx,

The Stanford MBA Admissions Office has reviewed your application to the Stanford MBA Program. We would like to invite you to meet with one of our alumni for a 45-minute interview. The purpose of this meeting is both evaluative and informational, with an emphasis on creating an enjoyable experience.

Your alumni interviewer is:
xxx

If you have a pre-existing relationship with your alumni interviewer, please immediately contact xxx.

To move forward, it is imperative that you follow the instructions below:

1. We ask that you contact your alumni interviewer - contact information is provided above - to schedule a mutually convenient time and location to meet. We suggest business attire, but ask that you contact your alumni interviewer to confirm specifics of the meeting.

2. Please send your alumni interviewer a copy of your resume via email or fax. Please do NOT send other information (your essays, transcripts, etc.).

3. If at all possible, please schedule and complete the interview within one week. If it is not feasible to complete the interview in that time period, please contact xxx.

4. As soon as you have confirmed the date of your meeting, please send a reply email to xxx.

We hope you will find the meeting stimulating and informative. Thank you again for your continued interest in the Stanford Graduate School of Business.

Warm regards,
xxx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
congrats qaum, and thanks for the info!
Current Student
Send PM
designstory wrote:
quantjock, how would you describe stanford v. harvard personalities in general? just curious as i was thinking they'd be somewhat similar. i don't personally know anyone who went to stanford gsb, but have a few friends at harvard right now, so it'd be an interesting comparison...

that was a gross generalization in humorous fun, designstory. we all know the H vs S stereotypes so i wont repeat them here. truth is you will find concentrations of particular personalities at both schools i imagine. i will say according to the dual admits, the approach of both weekends is VERY different. "personalized", "intimate", "relaxed" were the adjectives they used to describe the S weekend experience. i can confirm that, but i have no idea of the H experience in comparison.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
quantjock, i got that. of course all generalizations are gross and usually humorous. but i guess i should do more googling on the stereotypes since i honestly don't know the finer differences. maybe that's because i've been living in the middle of nowhere for 5 years.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Had a question regarding Stanford's interview procedure hoping anyone could answer.

Why in the world does Stanford waitlist without interview?

I mean seriously ponder about it. They get thousands of qualified applicants. Interview about 15%, and then put another x% on waitlist without int. It just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Do those waitlisted w/o int have a better shot if they were to re-apply? Could the adcom not make a decision? Or did the coin land on its side?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
It is very strange. Do you know how many that % is? Also, wonder if it happens in R3 since the apps aren't really forwarded on to another round...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Concentration: Social and International Business
Schools:Stanford University !
GMAT 2: 620
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Kudos
Come on, we are SMART people here! :-)..

If I were adcom, my system would be:

1.) Accept: OMG I need these people, and I know other universities would think they are also valuable.
2.) Waitlist: I see their potential, but I need them to show me that they see it too by reapplying.
3.) Interview: These are people with potential, but I need to confirm it.
4.) Not Interview, Ding: These are people I like, but need to reapply because anyone who is attracted to this school is worthy of my serious consideration.

Or am I being optimistic? to include myself into the "Not" section because I know I don't have a chance.

Or am I being pessimistic because I don't think that even I have a chance, yet I include myself into the "Accept" 'definition'?

Excuse my being 'emo' again... haha

congrats to everyone who received an interview! here is my white flag lol

But ignore my heartbreak because seriously, congratulations. ! Definitely earned my respect. :-)

What does everyone else think? How do you 'feel' that their system works?

Originally posted by angryinsomniac on 30 Apr 2010, 20:50.
Last edited by angryinsomniac on 01 May 2010, 12:28, edited 2 times in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yes, however the waitlist w/o int still fall into 2 categories under your breakdown. Plus it still doesn't resolve the issue of why bother waitlisting w/o interview.

On a side note, I wonder if someone who was on the waitlist w/o interview could cut a deal with adcom. Something to the effect of telling the adcom "it is obvious you want me but are hesistant for some reason unbeknownst to me so let's cut a deal, I'll defer admission for a year if granted admission."

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
steeler99 wrote:
Yes, however the waitlist w/o int still fall into 2 categories under your breakdown. Plus it still doesn't resolve the issue of why bother waitlisting w/o interview.

On a side note, I wonder if someone who was on the waitlist w/o interview could cut a deal with adcom. Something to the effect of telling the adcom "it is obvious you want me but are hesistant for some reason unbeknownst to me so let's cut a deal, I'll defer admission for a year if granted admission."

i think waitlist without interview is for more traditional profiles... i.e. consultant, product manager, etc - people they need to round out the class just in-case someone else does not accept

im sure a lot of people who get interviews and stuck on waitlist would try the same thing LOL - i know i would!

my hypothesis: there are only 20-30 stars every year at GSB i am sure who are pretty much 'we didn't think twice' for the adcom - everyone else i think is within a 10% variability in performance and have only their essays and recommendations to help them stand out
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Anyone has any thoughts on when the next batch of interview invites will go out? Last thursday was one of those days. Anymore coming or is it a trickle from now on.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Social and International Business
Schools:Stanford University !
GMAT 2: 620
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
Still no interview for me :-( how is everyone else doing in that department?

PS The GMAT test is so interesting to me... from a psychological perspective, how is it an accurate test? My two results (as well as most people's multiple results that I've seen) vary so greatly. Maybe I should just take the GRE next time haha.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Schools:DUKE class of 2014
GPA: 3.4
WE 1: sales/trading
Send PM
still waiting to hear on interviews as well... ahhhh so impatient. i figure most would be out by end of the week, no?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know when dings start going out (based on stats from last year round 3), or has anyone received one? Eeeeeek
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
had my interview now... just waiting... will let you all know how it turns out!

i imagine DB will start calling people around the 15th or so
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  45   46   47   48   49   50   51   52   53   54   55   56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts