Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink]
I am planning to send my waitlist update today.

Is it okay if I send them a word document with my essay
or do I have to paste it with the email directly.

It would be great if someone could help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
aniketdeb wrote:
I am planning to send my waitlist update today.

Is it okay if I send them a word document with my essay
or do I have to paste it with the email directly.

It would be great if someone could help.

I just did a pdf, personally.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
I got reply from waitlist adcom this morning. They say there is no special recommendation from for waitlisters; a recommender can send the email to the adcom directly.

According to the feedback, I feel lost more than before. There is nothing to update in my application package, but also there is nothing shiny making them choose me over other candidates. Sigh. I did not send yet update to adcome as I am waiting for the official announcement of my promotion at work. But I feel this is not enough to make adcome lean toward me.

Headache *Arg* *Arg*...but i want this so bad!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
shushu wrote:
I got reply from waitlist adcom this morning. They say there is no special recommendation from for waitlisters; a recommender can send the email to the adcom directly.

According to the feedback, I feel lost more than before. There is nothing to update in my application package, but also there is nothing shiny making them choose me over other candidates. Sigh. I did not send yet update to adcome as I am waiting for the official announcement of my promotion at work. But I feel this is not enough to make adcome lean toward me.

Is there anything else regarding your application profile that they highlighted you should work on? Or did they just give you a short response in regards to the recommendation?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I have received a similar reply as Shushu's, basically saying there is really nothing wrong with my application. They don't see major weakness in my application that made them choose others over me. It is difficult to handle a reply like this, but my takeaway is that there is not much waistlisters could do. They chose other applicants over us for reasons that we cannot control. I hope sending an email to them will let them know our interests, but essentially, i don't feel there is much i could change. As someone said, last year a few lucky ones got off the list.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
austinacmes wrote:
I have received a similar reply as Shushu's, basically saying there is really nothing wrong with my application. They don't see major weakness in my application that made them choose others over me. It is difficult to handle a reply like this, but my takeaway is that there is not much waistlisters could do. They chose other applicants over us for reasons that we cannot control. I hope sending an email to them will let them know our interests, but essentially, i don't feel there is much i could change. As someone said, last year a few lucky ones got off the list.

Maybe we have similar feedbacek. You got the point. Factors making the school choose me over others are actually out of my control unless I do get a unique position in non-traditional field at this moment (But i think it won't be able to happen)

This is like a lucky draw I think. I will keep trying, but I won't expect too much on this. What I can do for now is to update my promotion, volunteer activity, and my personal story about why MBA, why Yale I could not contain enough in my essay due to word limit. I will write the genuine story from deep insde my heart, although it sounds cliche, and wait for the reuslt until May. Oh they said, most of waitlists are moved around May.

Fingers are crossed :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
shushu wrote:

Is there anything else regarding your application profile that they highlighted you should work on? Or did they just give you a short response in regards to the recommendation?

Nope, they did not specifically mention anything about my application profile. But they also said it means I might have nothing glaring which inherently prevent me from getting in. On top of this feedback, they gave me short response regarding with the recommendation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
I just submitted an update to the waitlist/admissions committee at SOM. Early? Perhaps. But there's no major promotion in the works (being at a large company and having been promoted just a year ago) and I seriously doubt I'll be re-taking the GMAT. So letter of interest it is ~ has anyone else submitted anything?

(I also noticed that I didn't receive the usual auto-reply e-mail receipt from Yale. Guess we're not so high on their priority list anymore :/ )
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
I just submitted an update to the waitlist/admissions committee at SOM. Early? Perhaps. But there's no major promotion in the works (being at a large company and having been promoted just a year ago) and I seriously doubt I'll be re-taking the GMAT. So letter of interest it is ~ has anyone else submitted anything?

(I also noticed that I didn't receive the usual auto-reply e-mail receipt from Yale. Guess we're not so high on their priority list anymore :/ )

I sent a reply roughly on the day of that the waitlist announcement was made. I didn't get a response for a couple of weeks. Probably not terribly high on the "respond back"-o-meter, but it's good to know that it was read and explicitly responded to. :) So don't fret. But yes, I too see no point in retaking the GMAT, so it ended up being a confirmation of interest, as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I had sent my update on 2nd Jan.
Received a reply just a day back saying that the update along with the application
will be read by the adcom in March when they review their waitlist.

They also asked me to submit additional updates if any.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I just submitted additional essay last night. I think mine was a bit late compared to you guys as I had to wait until pormotion list is announced. And yeah, I got promoted!

I devoted every effort into 8 pages of PDF file with extra caring on the design of the format.

So let's see what will happen. Yay!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
shushu wrote:
I just submitted additional essay last night. I think mine was a bit late compared to you guys as I had to wait until pormotion list is announced. And yeah, I got promoted!

I devoted every effort into 8 pages of PDF file with extra caring on the design of the format.

Wow, 8 page pdf for your update, thats really long! I had the understanding that these update letters are usually a letter or two but maybe I'm wrong. Do you mind my asking what your wrote about in such a long letter? I feel I do not have enough material professionally and personally to cover more than maybe 2 pages at most. And I actually have not written my letter yet either but plan to do so next week - hope thats not too late! I figured since they said they don't look at waitlist candidates until mid March that an update in early Feb would be fine. What do you guys think?

How long were everyone elses update letters?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
shushu wrote:

Wow, 8 page pdf for your update, thats really long! I had the understanding that these update letters are usually a letter or two but maybe I'm wrong. Do you mind my asking what your wrote about in such a long letter? I feel I do not have enough material professionally and personally to cover more than maybe 2 pages at most. And I actually have not written my letter yet either but plan to do so next week - hope thats not too late! I figured since they said they don't look at waitlist candidates until mid March that an update in early Feb would be fine. What do you guys think?

How long were everyone elses update letters?

I agree that 8 pages seems like a lot (maybe even excessive, sorry shushu, but that's just my opinion--perhaps your situation warrants a longer update though). I was wailisted at another school and my plan is to send an email with headings for the update (i.e. professional, leadership, volunteer work) and then put 1-2 bullet points below each section with new accomplishments. I think it might amount to 1 printed page. I'm not doing an additional essay, but if you felt that your essays could use improvement, it might be worth sending an updated version (particularly since the Yale essays are so short).

I think this is definitely one of those quality over quantity situations...I'd tend towards brevity.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I sent a two page pdf consisting mainly of my recent accomplishments
and I also tried to explain my MBA motivation in a detailed manner.

I answered few questions that were posed to me during the interview
where I thought I could have done better.

Overall I tried blending all of these into a single essay.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
The contents are 4 pages only, each page with one theme. I updated my current work status, why Yale, why MBA, and my life-long plan I kept in my heart for over 7 years. Think my posting triggered some noises here lol. Just because I also focused on design and format, the number of total pages is more than of actual contents. Not sure if this would work or not, but I am just doing all of my best.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Wrote my letter and sent if off today. Was waiting for a big project at work to get underway.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Wrote my letter and sent if off today. Was waiting for a big project at work to get underway.

Good luck! I did not get any reply back from the school since I submitted almost 2 weeks ago =(
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts