Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 23:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Posts: 49
GMAT 1: Q V0
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Consumer Products)
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 55

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 00:12
krudget wrote:
Stardust wrote:
I think it is a possibility that they might give feedback but I don't think we should be banking on it. NYCFinanceGuy - was your email a simple one or did you elaborate on our interest on Yale etc? Just trying to form my email now...


I wrote an informal email to get details on protocol for an additional recommendation (what format, where to send it, etc.) I wrote that shortly after receiving the waitlist info, and have not heard back. Personally, I would assume they're handling admits and then will get to waitlisters after the break. (May or may not be a bad assumption. :) )

As far as what to do: jontron had a great post. I particularly liked the mba admit post.

There is the secure a promotion/take on new leadership responsibilities, but frankly I can do neither in my position. So I ignored that. Also, there are the get a better GMAT score and take courses to prepare yourself analytically. Well I took up to differential equations and linear algebra, have two science degrees, and an advanced degree with biostatistics and epidemiology research, so if they think I need to spruce up my "analytical background", then they're silly. :P

However, I will certainly write a formal letter of interest. I can secure another letter of recommendation from someone who was too busy during the months before due date. And hopefully, I will be able to make a visit to campus. Been to the med center and main campus plenty, but never to SOM.

Anyway that's my plan; good luck! :-D


As, an aside, I have two impressive offers on the table with substantial scholarship/fellowship money. I am still strongly considering Yale despite that. Is that something I should point out in my letter of interest? I would assume yes, and it would be great for them to know that I still think highly of them despite great offers, but I know this process is littered with bizarre fortuitous faux pas that my head spins. :lol:


HOLY moles HOW did you apply to so many programs? I am just amazed...

Yea my only update is that I was accepted into a pretty good school (how does one even begin to talk about that in a letter of interest without sounding arrogant?) Being on the waitlist is pretty agonizing. Not sure if I will be submitting a 10 page package as mentioned before...best of luck to everybody!

Oh and Dbalks, thanks for getting this party started and including me!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Disbelief! The Countdown Begins
Affiliations: CFA
Joined: 29 Jul 2011
Posts: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [0], given: 7

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2012, 07:51
lfa wrote:

HOLY moles HOW did you apply to so many programs? I am just amazed...

Yea my only update is that I was accepted into a pretty good school (how does one even begin to talk about that in a letter of interest without sounding arrogant?) Being on the waitlist is pretty agonizing. Not sure if I will be submitting a 10 page package as mentioned before...best of luck to everybody!

Oh and Dbalks, thanks for getting this party started and including me!


I think school selection is something that is a one liner in a page of updates. If its your only update, it will be tough to drop in. I would imagine how others are going to do it is by writing like a 250-500 word essay where they say "I got a promotion and revisited the school and reconfirmed my passion for Yale. I recently was accepted at HBS, but my number one choice remians Yale because of its xyz."
Expert Post
Admissionado
User avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2009
Posts: 3136
Location: Chicago, IL
Schools: Brown University, Harvard Business School
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 516 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2012, 03:44
Expert's post
Preferably B, but you can let them know it's coming by sending them an email
_________________

Jon Frank
Founder, Admissionado

Admissionado.com

If you like the post, give it a KUDOS!

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 00:11
I am planning to send my waitlist update today.

Is it okay if I send them a word document with my essay
or do I have to paste it with the email directly.

It would be great if someone could help.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 11:56
aniketdeb wrote:
I am planning to send my waitlist update today.

Is it okay if I send them a word document with my essay
or do I have to paste it with the email directly.

It would be great if someone could help.


I just did a pdf, personally.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2013, 23:13
I got reply from waitlist adcom this morning. They say there is no special recommendation from for waitlisters; a recommender can send the email to the adcom directly.

According to the feedback, I feel lost more than before. There is nothing to update in my application package, but also there is nothing shiny making them choose me over other candidates. Sigh. I did not send yet update to adcome as I am waiting for the official announcement of my promotion at work. But I feel this is not enough to make adcome lean toward me.

Headache *Arg* *Arg*...but i want this so bad!!!
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 08:05
shushu wrote:
I got reply from waitlist adcom this morning. They say there is no special recommendation from for waitlisters; a recommender can send the email to the adcom directly.

According to the feedback, I feel lost more than before. There is nothing to update in my application package, but also there is nothing shiny making them choose me over other candidates. Sigh. I did not send yet update to adcome as I am waiting for the official announcement of my promotion at work. But I feel this is not enough to make adcome lean toward me.

Headache *Arg* *Arg*...but i want this so bad!!!


Is there anything else regarding your application profile that they highlighted you should work on? Or did they just give you a short response in regards to the recommendation?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2012
Posts: 13
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 12:31
I have received a similar reply as Shushu's, basically saying there is really nothing wrong with my application. They don't see major weakness in my application that made them choose others over me. It is difficult to handle a reply like this, but my takeaway is that there is not much waistlisters could do. They chose other applicants over us for reasons that we cannot control. I hope sending an email to them will let them know our interests, but essentially, i don't feel there is much i could change. As someone said, last year a few lucky ones got off the list.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 19:03
austinacmes wrote:
I have received a similar reply as Shushu's, basically saying there is really nothing wrong with my application. They don't see major weakness in my application that made them choose others over me. It is difficult to handle a reply like this, but my takeaway is that there is not much waistlisters could do. They chose other applicants over us for reasons that we cannot control. I hope sending an email to them will let them know our interests, but essentially, i don't feel there is much i could change. As someone said, last year a few lucky ones got off the list.

Maybe we have similar feedbacek. You got the point. Factors making the school choose me over others are actually out of my control unless I do get a unique position in non-traditional field at this moment (But i think it won't be able to happen)

This is like a lucky draw I think. I will keep trying, but I won't expect too much on this. What I can do for now is to update my promotion, volunteer activity, and my personal story about why MBA, why Yale I could not contain enough in my essay due to word limit. I will write the genuine story from deep insde my heart, although it sounds cliche, and wait for the reuslt until May. Oh they said, most of waitlists are moved around May.

Fingers are crossed :)
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2013, 19:05
OjilEye wrote:
shushu wrote:
I got reply from waitlist adcom this morning. They say there is no special recommendation from for waitlisters; a recommender can send the email to the adcom directly.

According to the feedback, I feel lost more than before. There is nothing to update in my application package, but also there is nothing shiny making them choose me over other candidates. Sigh. I did not send yet update to adcome as I am waiting for the official announcement of my promotion at work. But I feel this is not enough to make adcome lean toward me.

Headache *Arg* *Arg*...but i want this so bad!!!


Is there anything else regarding your application profile that they highlighted you should work on? Or did they just give you a short response in regards to the recommendation?


Nope, they did not specifically mention anything about my application profile. But they also said it means I might have nothing glaring which inherently prevent me from getting in. On top of this feedback, they gave me short response regarding with the recommendation.
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 18 Nov 2011
Posts: 153
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 21

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:03
I just submitted an update to the waitlist/admissions committee at SOM. Early? Perhaps. But there's no major promotion in the works (being at a large company and having been promoted just a year ago) and I seriously doubt I'll be re-taking the GMAT. So letter of interest it is ~ has anyone else submitted anything?

(I also noticed that I didn't receive the usual auto-reply e-mail receipt from Yale. Guess we're not so high on their priority list anymore :/ )
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Oct 2012
Posts: 111
Location: United States
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE: Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 12

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 10 Jan 2013, 12:16
OjilEye wrote:
I just submitted an update to the waitlist/admissions committee at SOM. Early? Perhaps. But there's no major promotion in the works (being at a large company and having been promoted just a year ago) and I seriously doubt I'll be re-taking the GMAT. So letter of interest it is ~ has anyone else submitted anything?

(I also noticed that I didn't receive the usual auto-reply e-mail receipt from Yale. Guess we're not so high on their priority list anymore :/ )


I sent a reply roughly on the day of that the waitlist announcement was made. I didn't get a response for a couple of weeks. Probably not terribly high on the "respond back"-o-meter, but it's good to know that it was read and explicitly responded to. :) So don't fret. But yes, I too see no point in retaking the GMAT, so it ended up being a confirmation of interest, as well.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2013, 22:58
I had sent my update on 2nd Jan.
Received a reply just a day back saying that the update along with the application
will be read by the adcom in March when they review their waitlist.

They also asked me to submit additional updates if any.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 18:52
I just submitted additional essay last night. I think mine was a bit late compared to you guys as I had to wait until pormotion list is announced. And yeah, I got promoted!

I devoted every effort into 8 pages of PDF file with extra caring on the design of the format.

So let's see what will happen. Yay!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 98
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 32

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 05:19
shushu wrote:
I just submitted additional essay last night. I think mine was a bit late compared to you guys as I had to wait until pormotion list is announced. And yeah, I got promoted!

I devoted every effort into 8 pages of PDF file with extra caring on the design of the format.

So let's see what will happen. Yay!


Wow, 8 page pdf for your update, thats really long! I had the understanding that these update letters are usually a letter or two but maybe I'm wrong. Do you mind my asking what your wrote about in such a long letter? I feel I do not have enough material professionally and personally to cover more than maybe 2 pages at most. And I actually have not written my letter yet either but plan to do so next week - hope thats not too late! I figured since they said they don't look at waitlist candidates until mid March that an update in early Feb would be fine. What do you guys think?

How long were everyone elses update letters?
Current Student
User avatar
Status: Yale SOM 2015!
Joined: 28 Feb 2012
Posts: 180
Location: United States (MA)
GMAT 1: 710 Q V
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 107

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 10:25
NYCFinanceGuy wrote:
shushu wrote:
I just submitted additional essay last night. I think mine was a bit late compared to you guys as I had to wait until pormotion list is announced. And yeah, I got promoted!

I devoted every effort into 8 pages of PDF file with extra caring on the design of the format.

So let's see what will happen. Yay!


Wow, 8 page pdf for your update, thats really long! I had the understanding that these update letters are usually a letter or two but maybe I'm wrong. Do you mind my asking what your wrote about in such a long letter? I feel I do not have enough material professionally and personally to cover more than maybe 2 pages at most. And I actually have not written my letter yet either but plan to do so next week - hope thats not too late! I figured since they said they don't look at waitlist candidates until mid March that an update in early Feb would be fine. What do you guys think?

How long were everyone elses update letters?


I agree that 8 pages seems like a lot (maybe even excessive, sorry shushu, but that's just my opinion--perhaps your situation warrants a longer update though). I was wailisted at another school and my plan is to send an email with headings for the update (i.e. professional, leadership, volunteer work) and then put 1-2 bullet points below each section with new accomplishments. I think it might amount to 1 printed page. I'm not doing an additional essay, but if you felt that your essays could use improvement, it might be worth sending an updated version (particularly since the Yale essays are so short).

I think this is definitely one of those quality over quantity situations...I'd tend towards brevity.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2012
Posts: 15
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 14:03
I sent a two page pdf consisting mainly of my recent accomplishments
and I also tried to explain my MBA motivation in a detailed manner.

I answered few questions that were posed to me during the interview
where I thought I could have done better.

Overall I tried blending all of these into a single essay.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 28 Jan 2013, 18:40
The contents are 4 pages only, each page with one theme. I updated my current work status, why Yale, why MBA, and my life-long plan I kept in my heart for over 7 years. Think my posting triggered some noises here lol. Just because I also focused on design and format, the number of total pages is more than of actual contents. Not sure if this would work or not, but I am just doing all of my best.
BSchool Forum Moderator
avatar
Joined: 13 Sep 2011
Posts: 572
Location: United States
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 132 [0], given: 27

Premium Member
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2013, 08:25
Wrote my letter and sent if off today. Was waiting for a big project at work to get underway.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Jan 2012
Posts: 50
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2013, 13:46
Ward2012 wrote:
Wrote my letter and sent if off today. Was waiting for a big project at work to get underway.


Good luck! I did not get any reply back from the school since I submitted almost 2 weeks ago =(
Re: Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants   [#permalink] 05 Feb 2013, 13:46
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
12 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2014 Waitlisted Applicants mbamyway 61 11 Dec 2013, 14:27
13 Experts publish their posts in the topic Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants Dbalks 159 13 Dec 2012, 16:57
286 Experts publish their posts in the topic Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants aerien 1287 06 Jul 2012, 18:10
7 Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! IHateTheGMAT 422 20 Jul 2008, 21:45
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Calling All Yale SOM 2013 'Waitlisted' Applicants

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 160 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.