Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 04:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Challenging Question

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 12

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2011, 22:42
Which always refers to the noun before it. So "which" refers to "local times" rather than "abolition of local times".

ykaiim wrote:
The introductory part is in past tense. So, we need rest of the format in past tense.
1. determined - It is a past participle paralle with led. Moreover it is preferred, IMO, to which were determined

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
The abolition of local times is singular adjectival phrase. So, which were is incorrect.

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing

So, E is correct, though best of the all worst.

nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

I am reopening this question- since I am am still not able to zero-in on the answer.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed
(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed

C / E which one and why ?

Thanks in advance.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 10

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 05:01
I want to put some more light on C/E split.
A:- S-V-Agreement issue .another thing is misplaced modifier( abolition of local times,which(seems like modifying abolition not times-according of mission critical modifier)
B-ditto A
C- solve the agreement issue,but relative clause issue remain.
D-differed is incorrect(differed is past participle) it should be differing,which would get it's verb from main verb.
E- determined ......differing parallel.present participle get their tense from main verb.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 8

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 21:17
IMO D. I dont agree with the OA,what's the source of this question?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 14 Jul 2011, 22:41
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

I am reopening this question- since I am am still not able to zero on the answer.

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing
(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and which differed

Thanks in advance.

Definitely E

since it's "times", so you should use plural forms. That eliminates A, B

C: "which were... and ____ "the part after "and" should be parallel to "which were", so the correct form should be "which were ... and which differed". SO C is out

D and E both start with "determined by..." suggesting that they're participial phrases, so the part after "and" should be a participial phrase too and that eliminates D.

E is correct in that it's a participial phrase in parallel structure, modifying "local times"
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Kudos [?]: 36 [1] , given: 15

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2011, 09:09
This post received
KUDOS
Quote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Strike one: subject-verb agreement - it should be "local times...were" --> eliminate A and B

Strike two: parallelism - when using 'which', it should be "which were determined...which differed" --> eliminate C

Strike three: Parallelism -
'Local times [highlight]determined[/highlight] by...' and '[local times] [highlight]differed[/highlight] from city to city' --> incorrect.
As a quick check, we move the modifying verb to form...'differing times' vs 'differed times'. 'differed times' don't make sense!
'Local times [highlight]determined[/highlight] by...' and '[local times] [highlight]differing[/highlight] from city to city' --> correct as both highlighted are verbs
Eliminate D

Answer: E

Thanks, nusmavrik and seekmba for below notes/explanations!

Quote:
There are 2 ways to make this sentence parallel.
Local times, which were determined by
Local times, which differed from city to city

2. Now I see that gmat doesnt gave me first option since second which is missing in the answer choices. B has SV error. was should be were since local times are plural.

So I compress the modifiers -
modifer1 becomes = local times, determined by blah blah (which OUT)
modifier2 becomes = local times, differed from city to city (that doesn't sound good). Because it isn't.

So I go with choice E.
modifer2 = local times, differing from city to city (and determined by the time when the sun reached the observer's meridian)

differing is a verb
determined is a verb (past participle to be exact)

Quote:
the main idea behind whether to choose the -ing form or the -ed form this:

When we reduce a verb to its -ing or -ed form, we must look at one and only one thing: whether the noun that it will modify is the subject or object of that verb.

The -ing form is used for DOING the action, which means SUBJECT, which means ACTIVE voice.

The -ed form is used for RECEIVING the action, which means OBJECT, which means PASSIVE voice.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 12

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2011, 23:02
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

I am reopening this question- since I am am still not able to zero on the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks nusmavrik for posting this nice question.
I also got trapped in D

Thanks and Regards,
GM.

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 7 [1] , given: 6

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 07:25
This post received
KUDOS
isn't differing wrong here as we are talking about past
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 13

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 11:25
vdbhamare wrote:
isn't differing wrong here as we are talking about past

I'm also confused by this. Can anyone explain why "differing" is used? Maybe i missed it earlier
Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1696 [2] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 06 Apr 2012, 19:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Most of the problems with this text arise because of the difficulties posed by the nature of the participial modifiers both the past and the present. It must be noted that these participles do not carry a sense of tense per se. They are tenseless and can be used universally. To repeat, a past participle such as ‘determined’ can be used in present and future tense situations and the present participle ‘differing’ can be used in past, present, and future similarly.

Ex:written to satirize the eccentricities of the olden earldom of the English and read by millions over the world, Wodehouse’s books are a great hit— part participles used in present tense sentence

Working for just a couple of weeks, Joe dreamt that he could easily cross 750 in his GMAT. --Present participle in past tense context.

In this context, the participle ‘determined by’ and ‘differing’ are plain descriptives of a universal happening namely the local times. Therefore, it is acceptable to use a past participle and a present participle in the same sentence and still be parallel. There are more examples of this phenomenon in GMAT.

The problem with D is that, the word ‘differed’ (local times differed) becomes a past tense verb and thus breaks the parallelism by using a participle and a verb, when two participles should have been used. The past verb means that the local times differed only in the past and not these days. That is the reason E scores over D. In C the unnecessary intrusion of the past tense phrase ‘which were’ restricts the universality only to past

A real hair puller. Kudos to poster

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Haas Thread Master
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE: Design (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 34

Reviews Badge
Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 13:33
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.

This is what I found

http://www.manhattangmat.com/forums/100 ... t1787.html
Manager
Manager
Schools: Mccombs business school, Mays business school, Rotman Business School,
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 18

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2012, 09:04
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

Thanks in advance.

i pick E here. "times" is the object in "determined" and subject in "differing". there is a similar question in OG 12. the question number is 42.

some people are successful, because they have been fortunate enough and some people earn success, because they have been determined.....

please press kudos if you like my post.... i am begging for kudos...lol

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Project Management Professional (PMP)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 30 [1] , given: 12

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2012, 08:13
This post received
KUDOS
daagh wrote:
Most of the problems with this text arise because of the difficulties posed by the nature of the participial modifiers both the past and the present. It must be noted that these participles do not carry a sense of tense per se. They are tenseless and can be used universally. To repeat, a past participle such as ‘determined’ can be used in present and future tense situations and the present participle ‘differing’ can be used in past, present, and future similarly.

Ex:written to satirize the eccentricities of the olden earldom of the English and read by millions over the world, Warehouse’s books are a great hit— part participles used in present tense sentence

Working for just a couple of weeks, Joe dreamt that he could easily cross 750 in his GMAT. --Present participle in past tense context.

In this context, the participle ‘determined by’ and ‘differing’ are plain descriptives of a universal happening namely the local times. Therefore, it is acceptable to use a past participle and a present participle in the same sentence and still be parallel. There are more examples of this phenomenon in GMAT.

The problem with D is that, the word ‘differed’ (local times differed) becomes a past tense verb and thus breaks the parallelism by using a participle and a verb, when two participles should have been used. The past verb means that the local times differed only in the past and not these days. That is the reason E scores over D. In C the unnecessary intrusion of the past tense phrase ‘which were’ restricts the universality only to past

A real hair puller. Kudos to poster

Amazing explanation... Thanks a tonn.. Kudos to poster as well for such a question....

Best
Vaibhav

If you found my contribution helpful, please click the +1 Kudos button on the left, Thanks

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 22:59
I was very much confused, referred to Manhattan Post here:

Quote:
Reply form Stacey Koprince:

Can't decide based on which / determined. Could construct a correct sentence either way.

The growth led to X, [which were A and B], and Y.

X and Y need to be parallel; A and B need to be parallel. X and Y aren't underlined, so we can ignore them (but note that they are parallel already!).

C says "which were determined by and differing" - those aren't parallel.

In D and E, you can tell determined = participle, not verb, because (a) it immediately follows a comma and (b) there's no subject you could match up with determined in a normal subject-verb configuration. Even if you match determined with the noun "times" (to which the clause is referring) "times, determined by" is not proper subject-verb config.

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 239

Reviews Badge
Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 18 Jul 2012, 23:32
Thanks for the post guys! A lot of Gyan(knowledge) came out of this post!

You haven't failed, if you haven't given up!
---
bschooladmit
Visit my Blog www.bschooladmit.wordpress.com

Check out my other posts:
Bschool Deadlines 2013-2014 | Bschool Admission Events 2013 Start your GMAT Prep with Stacey Koprince | Get a head start in MBA finance

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 7

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 00:11
Note : growth of the railroads is singular
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: Booth,NUS,St.Gallon

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 51

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2012, 03:24
Hi everyone the usage of the "ing" and "ed " is well explained .But still i dont understand why C is wrong ."Which" in the sentence correctly refers to the local times .

+1 if you like my explanation .Thanks :)

Current Student
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: LBS '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.7

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 3

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 13:26
nusmavrik wrote:
Hi Guys

One way to break this amazingly confusing sentence down is like this: (using E)

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

Finally, you are modifying local times that were abolished during a certain point in time. (hence why C is so commonly debated).

Local times were determined [ at a certain point in time ] and differing from city to city [ they still differ today ].

Hope this helps breaking it down.
-C

That 700.. I can taste it

Expert Post
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 128

Kudos [?]: 642 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 06:56
Expert's post
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1298

Kudos [?]: 3662 [5] , given: 185

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 07:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi guys,
The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

• The growth of the railroads led to
o the abolition of local times, and
o the establishment of regional times.
• Two characteristics of local times have been mentioned in the sentence:
o they were determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian, and
they differed from city to city.

1. Singular verb “was” does not agree in number with plural subject “local times”. SV must agree in number error.

2. Also “was” seem to be the verb for “abolition of local times”, meaning abolition was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian. This is certainly not the intended logical meaning of the sentence. Meaning error.

3. The two characteristics of “local times” must be parallel to each other. Here, “which was determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian” (a clause) is not parallel to “differing from city to city” ( a verb-ed modifier phrase). Parallelism error.

POE:

(A) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing: Incorrect. Errors discussed above.

(B) which was determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and which differed: Incorrect. Same SV number agreement and meaning errors as in A.

(C) which were determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing: Incorrect. Same parallelism error as in A.

(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed: Incorrect. “determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian” (a verb-ed modifier) is not parallel to “differed from city to city” (a verb phrase). Notice here that “determined” is not a verb here. It is a verb-ed modifier that is modifying “local times”. If it were a verb, ther would be no comma before it and the subject and the verb would be connected properly.

(E) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differing: Correct. “determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian” (a verb-ed modifier phrase) is parallel to “differing from city to city” (a verb-ing modifier phrase). Both the modifiers are correctly presenting the characteristics of “local times”. Refer to OG 12#42 to see how verb-ing and verb-ed modifiers can be parallel to each other.

1. SV pair must always agree in number.
2. SV pair must always make sense together.
3. In a list of parallelism, all the entities must be grammatically as well as logically parallel.

The concepts tested in this sentence have been covered in e-gmat concepts:
1. Level 1 - SV - Agree in Number (This concept features in Level 1 Preview Concepts that are available for free. Just register and learn.)
2. Level 2 - SV - Make Sense
3. Level 1 - Parallelism - Identify and Correct
4. Level 1 - Parallelism - Helpful Tips

You can also review our article on this topic by clicking on the following link:
verb-ed-verb-ing-can-be-parallel-126923.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 11

Re: Challenging Question [#permalink] New post 22 Aug 2012, 08:22
[quote="egmat"]
(D) determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian and differed: Incorrect. “determined by when the sun reached the observer's meridian” (a verb-ed modifier) is not parallel to “differed from city to city” (a verb phrase). Notice here that “determined” is not a verb here. It is a verb-ed modifier that is modifying “local times”. If it were a verb, ther would be no comma before it and the subject and the verb would be connected properly.

Why "differed from city to city" is a verb phrase and not a verb-ed modifier. In the context of the sentence

The growth of the railroads led to the abolition of local times, determined by when the sun reached the observer’s meridian and differed from city to city, and to the establishment of regional times.

If we omit the red coloured part then "differed" can be treated as verb-ed modifier.

Please explain and make me understand the concept.
Re: Challenging Question   [#permalink] 22 Aug 2012, 08:22