Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 09:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 01:25
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

71% (02:48) correct 29% (01:36) wrong based on 174 sessions
Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. The two companies merge, every employee stays with the resulting company, and no new employees are added. If the resulting companyís workforce consists of 25 percent managers, what percent of the workforce originated from Company A?

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

[Reveal] Spoiler:
EXPL: The question gives you two equations. First, the percents of the managers, where A and B stand for the total number of employees in each companyís workforce:
1/10 (A) + 3/10 B = 1 /4 (A + B)
Since A and B are fractions (or percents) of the total resulting workforce:
A+B=1
To combine the equations, rewrite the second equation: A=1- B
Then plug in to the first equation

I am not clear that how can A and B be treated as fractions when they represent the number of employees in firms A and B respectively. How is A+B =1?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Bunuel on 09 Sep 2012, 03:27, edited 3 times in total.
Renamed the topic and edited the question.
Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28897 [3] , given: 2871

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 03:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. The two companies merge, every employee stays with the resulting company, and no new employees are added. If the resulting companyís workforce consists of 25 percent managers, what percent of the workforce originated from Company A?

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

Say a is the number of employees in company A and b is the number of employees in company B.

The question is: "what percent of the workforce originated from Company A", so we should find the value of \frac{a}{a+b}.

We are told that 10% managers from A and 30% managers from B result in 25% managers in combined workforce, hence 0.1a+0.3b=0.25(a+b) --> b=3a --> \frac{a}{a+b}=\frac{1}{4}=0.25.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. Please read and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html (rule #3)

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5375 [3] , given: 165

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 02:35
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
adineo wrote:
Thanks for the solutions guys.

I had a doubt regarding the solution i have supplied under the spoiler. In that A and B are considered as the number of employees in step one and in the next step as fractions/ratios, and we get the answer that way also. Can you please explain that?

Actually, they are assuming that A represents the fraction of workforce of A in the total workforce and B represents the fraction of workforce of B in the total workforce.

A and B do not stand for the number of employees.

The method they have used is not the most optimum. Use weighted avg formula instead. You know that company A has 10% managers and company B has 30% managers and together they have 25% managers.

wA/wB = (30 - 25)/(25 - 10) = 1/3

wA = 25% of total workforce

Check this for explanation on weighted average formula: http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2011/03 ... -averages/

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [1] , given: 50

Reviews Badge
Re: mixtures problem [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 01:53
This post received
KUDOS
adineo wrote:
Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and
90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. The two companies merge, every employee stays with the resulting company, and no new employees are added. If the resulting companyís workforce consists of 25 percent managers, what percent of the workforce originated from Company A?
(A) 10% (B) 20% (C) 25% (D) 50% (E) 75%

[Reveal] Spoiler:
EXPL: The question gives you two equations. First, the percents of the managers, where A and B stand for the total number of employees in each companyís workforce:
A+B=1

I am not clear that how can A and B be treated as fractions when they represent the number of employees in firms A and B respectively. How is A+B =1?

Let say Company A has x employes and B has y employees. Now they merge and total no of employees = x+y employees.

Per the question Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. We translate it into equation as follows:

.1x + .3y = .25 (x+y)
=> x + 3y =2.5 (x+y)
=> .5y = 1.5x
=> y=3x.
Now we know total employee = x+y. we need to find %age of x in total (x+y) ie x/(x+y) X100%
=> x/(3x+x) [substitute y=3x] => x/4x X 100%
=> .25 X 100 % => 25%.

Hence Answer C. Is it correct?

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Asset Management (Manufacturing)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 63 [1] , given: 5

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 04:04
This post received
KUDOS
adineo wrote:

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

I love so solve such problem using algorithm.

Here-
-------------------M--------E-------SS
C1 --------------10 %---90%----0%
C2---------------30%----10%---60%

As, it is given that final % of managers is 25%, so we can say 10% of C1 and 30% of C2 constitute 25% of managers in merged company.
Now, let's arrange the algorithm-

---------------10--------------------------------------30
----------------5 (=30-25)------------------------15 (=25-15) [Calculate difference diagonally; also this is the ratio of two companies]
----------------1--------------------------------------3 (Ratio remains same after dividing both 5, and 15 with 5)

This means, Company C1 has as share of 1 / (1+3) = 1/4= 25%

So, the answer is C

My mantra for cracking GMAT:
Everyone has inborn talent, however those who complement it with hard work we call them 'talented'.

+1 Kudos = Thank You Dear :)
Are you saying thank you?

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 68 [1] , given: 6

Re: Company A’s workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 17:34
This post received
KUDOS
See attached grid below.

We have to find \frac{X}{Z}: the number of workers that came from A over the total number of workers resulting from the merge.

Let's write the conditions for this problem:

(1) A + B + 25 = 100

(2) X+Y=Z

(3) A=\frac{(90X+10Y)}{Z}

(4) 25=\frac{(10X+30Y)}{Z}

(5) B=\frac{60Y}{Z}

Very easily, we can see that using ONLY (4) and (2) we have: 25=\frac{(10X+30Y)}{(X+Y)} ---> 25X+25Y=10X+30Y --> 3X=Y

Whit this, WE ALREADY HAVE THE SOLUTION as:

\frac{X}{Z}=\frac{X}{(X+Y)}=\frac{X}{(X+3X)}=\frac{X}{4X}=0.25

Solution: 25%

Answer: C
Attachments

Imagen1.jpg
Imagen1.jpg [ 10.41 KiB | Viewed 2235 times ]

Does this post deserve KUDOS?

Free Prep: Self-prepare GMAT for free and GMAT Math tips for free
Free Flashcards: Free GMAT Flashcards

More: "All I wish someone had told me about GMAT beforehand"
There are many things you want to know before doing the GMAT exam (how is exam day, what to expect, how to think, to do's...), and you have them in this blog, in a simple way

Last edited by johnwesley on 22 Mar 2013, 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1156

Kudos [?]: 5375 [1] , given: 165

Re: Company A’s workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 20:30
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
carcass wrote:
Company A’s workforce consists of 10 percent managers and
90 percent software engineers. Company B’s workforce
consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software
engineers, and 60 percent support sta¤. The two companies
merge, every employee stays with the resulting company, and
no new employees are added. If the resulting company’s
workforce consists of 25 percent managers, what percent of
the workforce originated from Company A?

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

I'm not fully convinced by OA.

If the two companies are merged and supposed that we have 200 people, then 25 % of 200 is 50. So. 50 people are manager (if I understand correct).

Now the problem asks: what % of this 50 comes from company A................let me know. Thanks :)

Use weighted avgs here. Company A has 10% managers and company B has 30% managers. Overall, the merged company has 25% managers. So what is the ratio number of employees of company A to number of employees of company B?

number of employees of company A:number of employees of company B = (30 - 25):(25 - 10) = 1:3

What percent of the workforce originated from Company A? 1/4 = 25%

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 4

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2012, 07:05
Thanks for the solutions guys.

I had a doubt regarding the solution i have supplied under the spoiler. In that A and B are considered as the number of employees in step one and in the next step as fractions/ratios, and we get the answer that way also. Can you please explain that?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2012, 20:28
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

Say a is the number of employees in company A and b is the number of employees in company B.

The question is: "what percent of the workforce originated from Company A", so we should find the value of \frac{a}{a+b}.

We are told that 10% managers from A and 30% managers from B result in 25% managers in combined workforce, hence 0.1a+0.3b=0.25(a+b) --> b=3a --> \frac{a}{a+b}=\frac{1}{4}=0.25.

Hope it's clear.

P.S. Please read and follow: rules-for-posting-please-read-this-before-posting-133935.html (rule #3)

It is clear thanks, and i have used the same method while solving this question, however i had a big doubt before chosing the answer. I started to look at the other part of the provided information. Eventhough i did not used it and i think it is not of much need here, but still i thought since it is given there should be some purpose.
My question, does the GMAT sometimes use information just to distract or i am missing something?

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3613

Kudos [?]: 28897 [0], given: 2871

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 11 Sep 2012, 01:43
Expert's post
ziko wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

(A) 10%
(B) 20%
(C) 25%
(D) 50%
(E) 75%

Hope it's clear.

It is clear thanks, and i have used the same method while solving this question, however i had a big doubt before chosing the answer. I started to look at the other part of the provided information. Eventhough i did not used it and i think it is not of much need here, but still i thought since it is given there should be some purpose.
My question, does the GMAT sometimes use information just to distract or i am missing something?

Yes, I've seen some questions from reliable sources which had redundant information just to confuse us.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
Followers: 312

Kudos [?]: 2622 [0], given: 696

Re: Company A’s workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 18:06
Expert's post
It's trueeeeeeeee :wall :wall

I'm always comfortable with these problems , even the most difficult but at 2.00 AM is not a big deal :(

0.1 X + 0.3 Y = 0.25 (X + Y )

Now 15 X = 5 Y ---> X / Y = 5/15 = 1/3 BUT the ration 1 : 3 is = to 4 (the total) so the parts must be 1/4 and 3/4. We care about of X so 1/4 = 25.

:stab

;)

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension 7.Verbal question bank and Directories

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: Company A’s workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 18:20
1. Let the total number of worforce of the resulting company be 100.
2. Let us say x number of the workforce originated from A.
3. 10 % of that number is the number of managers contributed by A which isx/10.
4. (100-x) of the workforce originated from B.
5. 30 % of that number is the number of managers contributed by B which is3(100-x)/10
6. We have the total number of managers in the resulting company as 25.
7. (3) + (5) =(6) i.e.,x/10 + 3(100-x)/10 = 25
x=25.

Answer is choice C.

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
WE: Corporate Finance (Investment Banking)
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 199 [0], given: 309

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2014, 06:43
Alternative approach: Apply differentials

-15A +5B = 0, 15A = 5B, A/B = 1/3
Therefore 1/4 or 25% of the managers came from division A

Hope this helps
Cheers
J
VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 307 [0], given: 170

Re: mixtures problem [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2014, 23:27
SOURH7WK wrote:
adineo wrote:
Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and
90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. The two companies merge, every employee stays with the resulting company, and no new employees are added. If the resulting companyís workforce consists of 25 percent managers, what percent of the workforce originated from Company A?
(A) 10% (B) 20% (C) 25% (D) 50% (E) 75%

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A+B=1

Let say Company A has x employes and B has y employees. Now they merge and total no of employees = x+y employees.

Per the question Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 percent software engineers. Company B's workforce consists of 30 percent managers, 10 percent software engineers, and 60 percent support staff. We translate it into equation as follows:

.1x + .3y = .25 (x+y)
=> x + 3y =2.5 (x+y)
=> .5y = 1.5x
=> y=3x.
Now we know total employee = x+y. we need to find %age of x in total (x+y) ie x/(x+y) X100%
=> x/(3x+x) [substitute y=3x] => x/4x X 100%
=> .25 X 100 % => 25%.

Hence Answer C. Is it correct?

Did the same way till we get y = 3x

So, \frac{y}{x} =\frac{3}{1} = \frac{75}{25}

Contribution from x = 25%

Kindly press "+1 Kudos" to appreciate :)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 14

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 10

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2014, 00:31
General solution for mixture problems.

In this type of problems S1 consisting of some components and S2 consisting of one or more of the same components are mixed

Steps:

1.Identify the S1 and S2 and their components. For simplicity let us assume S1 and S2 are solutions. They may also be solids such as bars.

2.S1 and S2 are identified as follows:

(i)S1 and S2 are explicitly mentioned as two different solutions.
(ii)S1 is the original solution. S2 is the same type of solution but added to S1. The elements become added in the proportion they are present
(iii)S1 is the original solution and S2 is a different type of solution and may contain only one element ,such as water. This element will be present in S1 also.
(iv)S1 is the original solution and S2 is the same type of solution got from removing some quantity from S1. The elements are removed in the same proportion they are present.
(v)S1 is the original solution and S2 is that which is got by removing only one element from S1.
(vi)S1 and S2 are two solutions and they contain only one element or only one element is mentioned.

3.The general formula is:

re1/re2 = s1 *e1/(e1+e2) + s2* e1/(e1+e2) / s1*e2/(e1+e2) + s2* e2/(e1+e2)

where re1/re2 is the ratio of the elements in the result after s1 and s2 are mixed, s1 and s2 are the quantity of the solutions . The elements in each solution are normally given in ratios.

In this problem,

re1/re2 = 10/100 * s1 + 30/100*s2 / 90/100 *s1 + 70/100 * s2
re1/re2 = 0.1*s1 + 0.3 *s2 / 0.9*s1 + 0.7*s2
25/75= 0.1*s1 + 0.3 *s2 / 0.9*s1 + 0.7*s2
=> s1/s2 = 1/3 or s1/(s1+s2) = 1/4

The answer is therefore 25%

Srinivasan Vaidyaraman
Sravna Test Prep
http://www.sravna.com

Classroom Courses in Chennai
Online and Correspondence Courses

Expert Post
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90 [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2014, 19:46
Expert's post
easy to make this question a lot harder than it needs to be (see below lol)

Total Employees:
A=100
B=100

Managers:
A (100)(.1) = 10
B (100(.3) = 30

[10(x/100)+30[(100-x)/100]]/[[100(x/100)]+[100[(100-x)/100]]] = 1/4
[(150-x)/5]/100=1/4
150-x=500/4
x=25

MY GMAT BLOG - ADVICE - OPINIONS - ANALYSIS

Re: Company A's workforce consists of 10 percent managers and 90   [#permalink] 15 Mar 2014, 19:46