Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Sep 2014, 16:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS 2+2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions? [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2014, 21:52
Hey guys,
I have been solving questions in OG GMAT 13th edition and I am finding them way easier than the questions in GMATPrep.
As the questions in OG are past GMAT questions, how much would you rate them on the difficulty level (like 600,650,700 or any range would suffice)? :-D
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Have a nice day.. :)

Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [1] , given: 0

Re: Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 08:06
This post received
KUDOS
Based on my analysis, the OG 13th edition difficulty breaks down like this:

Problems Composite Score Level
First Third 500
Middle Third 550
Final Third 650

These divisions apply to each problem type in the OG. A 650 composite score means that a student is getting half of the problems at that level correct. So, if you are acing the final third of the problems for each problem type within official timing limits, then you are actually performing at a level higher than 650.

This analysis comes from my guide to self-study: GMAT Clarity.

Thomas Hall

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools: HBS 2+2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions? [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2014, 10:43
ThomasHall wrote:
Based on my analysis, the OG 13th edition difficulty breaks down like this:

Problems Composite Score Level
First Third 500
Middle Third 550
Final Third 650

These divisions apply to each problem type in the OG. A 650 composite score means that a student is getting half of the problems at that level correct. So, if you are acing the final third of the problems for each problem type within official timing limits, then you are actually performing at a level higher than 650.

This analysis comes from my guide to self-study: GMAT Clarity.

As per now, I solved 0-100 numbered questions(Problem Solving) yesterday, I had 95% accuracy at the problems and solved each question in around 50-90 seconds. So, what do you think? :-D

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce

Have a nice day.. :)

Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V47
GPA: 3.6
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

Re: Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions? [#permalink] New post 22 Apr 2014, 13:16
Nice work on those OG problems. You are acing the easy problems and some of moderate difficulty problems. The problems you completed are about at a 520 level, on average. This may explain why the GMAT Prep CATs feel so much more difficult: because they are. It is really important to master the easier problems, but tackling the moderate and difficult problems is crucial as well.

You may find my guide to self-study helpful: GMAT Clarity (amazon link). It gives a ton of guidance on how to use practice problems effectively to build your skills.

Thomas Hall

Re: Comparing OG GMAT ques difficulty with real GMAT questions?   [#permalink] 22 Apr 2014, 13:16