Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:16 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
CobraKai wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:
Cornell is outstanding. Program wise they probably are a better fit (I am in finance), but Duke is great too. I am a bit discouraged by the cold in Ithaca and it is a consideration for me. I figure that I will be fine graduating from both and both have strong programs with their respective advantages.
It is a tough one. I do have a soft spot for Cornell.

Flip a coin. If you're disappointed with the outcome, you know which way you should go. :P

Lol!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
CobraKai wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:
Guy's, question; bottom line, would you choose duke or cornell?

Cornell, here's why: Smaller class size, proximity to NYC, awesome Veterans club, I personally like Ithaca's college town vs. Durham's surroundings. I visited Duke but it wasn't in my top 4. I may have applied R2 if I didn't get into Johnson.

These are peer schools, so rankings aren't really a consideration.

That said, my opinion doesn't really matter - what criteria is important to you?

Cornell is outstanding. Program wise they probably are a better fit (I am in finance), but Duke is great too. I am a bit discouraged by the cold in Ithaca and it is a consideration for me. I figure that I will be fine graduating from both and both have strong programs with their respective advantages.
It is a tough one. I do have a soft spot for Cornell.

Cornell's immersion programs are very strong and help you get internships. I have a friend who did ibanking immersion 2 years ago and said that the placement was about 90% among BBs. I agree on the weather, but you will mostly be indoors, regardless of whereever you go. Both Johnson and Fuqua have only one building.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
Had my interview yesterday. one question threw me off. Why is your gpa low? What have you done since graduation that makes me believe that you will not struggle at Cornell? My gpa is 3.1 from a Top-10 engineering school in US.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
fucb wrote:
Guys, I'm in!!! Nobody called me, but my status changed in this afternoon. "We are delighted to offer you admission to Johnson... " (2nd round applicant - interview on Jan 25th)

Big congrats! I'm in too! I just sent an email to ask for my admission decision this morning, but no one replied. Then I saw your post minutes ago, so I went to check my online status and the offer was there (R2 applicant, interviewed on Jan 31). I suspect that somehow they mixed our applications with R3 files until they saw my email this morning. It doesn't matter now. I am so happy :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi Guys, A first time poster here. Similar to what 'fucb' and 'ygyh' reported, my status also changed on 25th February to indicate that I am admitted ! :) . I am an international applicant to the AMBA program and had applied on the day of R2 application deadline (Nov 28th), was interviewed on the day of R2 decision day(Feb 20th) and got to know of my decision y'day !.

All the best to everyone out there who is still waiting for their decisions.

-A
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Leadership
Send PM
ajaysb wrote:
Hi Guys, A first time poster here. Similar to what 'fucb' and 'ygyh' reported, my status also changed on 25th February to indicate that I am admitted ! :) . I am an international applicant to the AMBA program and had applied on the day of R2 application deadline (Nov 28th), was interviewed on the day of R2 decision day(Feb 20th) and got to know of my decision y'day !.

-A

Congratulations ygyh and ajaysb!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Seen wrote:
ajaysb wrote:

-A

Congratulations ygyh and ajaysb!

Thank you Seen :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Duke is also strong in finance, especially in BofA, JPM while Cornell is strong in Citi and UBS. For me, Cornell is more like a finance bootcamp while Duke looks more vibrant (the Blue Devils, the weather for sure), you have every reason to choose either one and you can't go wrong with either of your choice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Cornell (accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
Hello All,

I'm just going to hop in here to provide the link to the Johnson at Cornell University, Class of 2015 admitted students Facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Johnson ... 5/?fref=ts

Feel free to chat with other admitted students and the few current students who are also in the group to answer any questions. Then in the summer all of the current students will remove themselves from the group and it will become the "Unofficial" Class of 2015 FB page.

Congratulations to all the admits. For those of you still waiting - sit tight! It's not over until it's over!

Best,
2nd Yr Johnson Student, who cannot believe that this Journey is coming to an end, but who is excited for the Class of 2015.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congrats to all admitted students. Can you please give me some tips for interview. I am having tomorrow morning. I have read blogs and forums but any particular tips u ca add.
Thanks
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 5
WE 1: Medical devices,
WE 2: Consumer electronics
Send PM
hailmary620 wrote:
conc88 wrote:
Have all Johnson Round 3 interview invites gone out already?

Based on the threads, it seems like the invites went out last Thursday?

Are there more interviews to come?

I think only 1-2 international applicants were invited last Thursday. I don't think the domestic invites have gone out yet. Based on what I saw during Round 2, I think we should be expecting invites during next 2-3 weeks.

My application status on Johnson's website still says "submitted". Anyone else in that boat? I called them last week and they said they are still reviewing applications.

I'm looking at the applyyourself.com portal - is that the right place?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:

Ferrari or Lamborghini? Without knowing your specifics, this question is very difficult to answer. Both schools are very good. There are differences in employment opportunities, learning experience, location, culture, etc. But those differences could be good or bad depending on your preference.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
asimov wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Ferrari or Lamborghini? Without knowing your specifics, this question is very difficult to answer. Both schools are very good. There are differences in employment opportunities, learning experience, location, culture, etc. But those differences could be good or bad depending on your preference.

Actuall it's Subaru vs Chrysler

https://www.mbaapply.com/advice.htm#elite8

Agreed, this is why I asked why duke, and why cornell. Honestly, whichever question is easier to answer is the right choice for you.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
asimov wrote:
sunjuu1 wrote:

Agreed, this is why I asked why duke, and why cornell. Honestly, whichever question is easier to answer is the right choice for you.

I wouldnt compare either one to a subaru, lol
These are good schools with strong programs. None is HBS , but still great.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
sunjuu1 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
asimov wrote:

I wouldnt compare either one to a subaru, lol
These are good schools with strong programs. None is HBS , but still great.

lol, acually, funny story... In an interview with an admissions consultant, the director of admissions of Johnson agreed with the Subaru analogy. Take that as you will...

https://www.mbamission.com/blog/2012/09/13/mbamissions-exclusive-interview-with-christine-e-sneva-director-of-admissions-and-financial-aid-at-cornells-johnson-school/

Quote:
mbaMission: Right. So, every school has a stereotype, but what do you think the Johnson School should be known for?

Quote:
CS: I really like this question, because we have a good sense of humor around our own stereotypes. I’m sure you saw this—being in the industry—but over a year ago, [an admissions consulting firm] … put out a comparison on their blog of business schools to cars, and I think there have been different versions of this over the years. And we had a really good laugh over a lot of them, but we couldn’t argue with what they said about us. They said that Johnson is like a Subaru, and, oddly enough, a majority of the people here drive a Subaru. It’s kind of known in New York state that when you see a Subaru, they’re probably from Ithaca. They said, “Johnson is like Subaru—a high quality and practical car, for those who know about it. The marque is typically not on the top of people’s minds at first, although if you were to ask them to track how many Subarus they see in a day, chances are there are more out there than they ever realized. [...] Johnson is sort of out there in rugged upstate New York—there’s more of them working amongst you, but you wouldn’t realize it unless you actually asked people where they went to school.”

And that is like Johnson, because to me it says, Cornell Johnson has a great product. Our students are ready for their chosen field. They’re professionals with recognition and achievement, but they also have a lot of humility, and I actually hear that a lot from our corporate recruiters that look to hire our students. I think that in terms of what we should be known for, we’ve perfected what “hands-on” truly should mean: live work, cases and projects that provide relevant business solutions for big issues that are facing companies today, but also what companies are looking for toward the future. And that’s really evident in our centers and institutes, particularly the Emerging Markets Institute (EMI).
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
I laughed when i read highwyres post.. I was thinking to myself, whats wrong with a subaru, they are great cars. I guess I really do belong in Ithaca.

As for Duke vs Cornell, you are asking the Cornell threads, but getting some good honest feedback and questions about what youre looking to do. Ask the Duke thread and see what they tell you.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
All else equal, everyone in the Cornell thread will say Cornell and everyone in the Duke thread will say Duke. Find people admitted at both and see what they're doing.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts