Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 00:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 00:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
zl2012 wrote:
i am a little surprised to see that someone got accepted by mccombs but didn't even get on cornell's waitlist.

guess this evaluation process is extremely subjective.....

Two factors:

1) Different adcoms look for/value different things

2) Applicant pools at each school are different

To use myself as an example for point 2, I noticed a lot of people get admitted to both Johnson and Darden on these boards. I was waitlisted at Darden, which leads me to belive that the pool of military applicants was larger/stronger for Round 1 at Darden vs. Johnson. This is just me speculating, but in my case, I'm measured against my fellow service members, not other non-traditional applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
krudget wrote:
Waitlisted. Someone could set up a thread like they did with the Yale thread :) Also, don't forget to turn in your waitlist confirmation if you're still considering Johnson!

Congrats to those that got in and good luck to fellow waitlisters. (And good luck to the dings, you'll end up where you need to be! :) )

I've just created one. Here's the link - calling-all-the-johnson-cornell-waitlist-144394.html.

We can move the waitlisting discussions to this thread.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Dinged w/o interview. Looks like it will be Darden for me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
RSri wrote:
sumatmittal wrote:
I'm an Indian applicant. There has been no change in status on the application portal for me. Did other Indian applicants receive an email or was there simply a change in status on the application portal?
Nervous as hell!

Its on the application portal. Under recommendation providers list. Under "Decision Status: Available beginning 12/19/2012".

I don't see that in my page. Should I contact the adcom ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Wait-listed.
Manager
Manager
Has the status changed for any of the admitted applicants ?

Mine still says "Submitted". I've looked at the online application page a 100 times and there is no "link" to decision.

Any thoughts/help is much appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
query007 wrote:
Has the status changed for any of the admitted applicants ?

Mine still says "Submitted". I've looked at the online application page a 100 times and there is no "link" to decision.

Any thoughts/help is much appreciated.

Try logging out and logging back in.

What is your status? Have you been interviewed?
Manager
Manager
I have been interviewed. Status says" Submitted".

Tried logging out and back in, but still remains the same.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 35
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
WE:Other (Computer Software)
Send PM
query007 wrote:
I have been interviewed. Status says" Submitted".

Tried logging out and back in, but still remains the same.

Hmm.. Interesting issue. Only the adcom office can help you I am afraid. You can probably send an email detailing the issue.

All the best!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
Denied without interview. This admission process has become a Rubik's cube for me. Admitted into Kellogg and got interview invites from Duke and Darden, schools that were supposed to be more tougher compared to Cornell for someone with my profile, no offence intended. Anyways
Director
Director
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:
Denied without interview. This admission process has become a Rubik's cube for me. Admitted into Kellogg and got interview invites from Duke and Darden, schools that were supposed to be more tougher compared to Cornell for someone with my profile, no offence intended. Anyways

None taken - I agree with you. Admit to Kellogg but not even an interview to Johnson? This could be the case of Johnson protecting its yield - if they got the vibe you're using them as a safety school and aren't likely to attend if admitted, they'll just cut bait.

This is why they ask in the app what other schools you applied to, and ask the question again in the interview.
Manager
Manager
Hmm. Got the issue with my online application fixed and I can see the result now.

Ding!

Disappointing, as I thought I had nailed the interview. Good luck to all the admits!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
icecube6000 wrote:

None taken - I agree with you. Admit to Kellogg but not even an interview to Johnson? This could be the case of Johnson protecting its yield - if they got the vibe you're using them as a safety school and aren't likely to attend if admitted, they'll just cut bait.

This is why they ask in the app what other schools you applied to, and ask the question again in the interview.

Cornell was by no means a safe school for me. Infact, it has more brand recognition in South Asia than Kellogg and Duke.

Anyways, congrats to you. I have been closely following your posts in various school forums, your picture really stands out :), and am really happy for you.

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:
Cornell was by no means a safe school for me. Infact, it has more brand recognition in South Asia than Kellogg and Duke.

Anyways, congrats to you. I have been closely following your posts in various school forums, your picture really stands out :), and am really happy for you.

Thanks! As someone who was dinged at Kellogg, I think it's quite an achievement to be admitted there. Is that where you'll be headed in the fall?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
icecube6000 wrote:

I wholeheartedly concur. Nothing about this process has made sense for me. But I did discuss with Duke's adcom that I treated these applications like med school and residency applications but found out business schools are often looking for completely different things. (And I of course found out about this forum before I sent a herd of apps out.) But the health care folks at Duke and UNC loved me, so who knows? UNC made me an incredible offer, so it will be near impossible to say no to them, but I will still pursue these schools that I am interested in and waitlisted at.

But yes, Johnson's process has been off this year because of the system updates. I have a feeling that they may have made some (for lack of a better term) 'mistakes' with their waitlist and dings due to the time constraints.

All that being said, an unfortunate amount of the process is due to luck. It all depends on if you are a perceived fit with whomever draws your application out of the proverbial hat. For med school, I was admitted to the University of Pennsylvania and was turned down by Indiana University. So don't sweat it. We'll end up where we need to end up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Anyone who received interview invite yesterday scheduled their interview yet? I tried to schedule mine yesterday. Got one reply asking me if i want to do skype next week or come to campus on Janurary 2nd. I told the i wanted the skype since i will be traveling in January. Never got the reply on that.

Does anyone know if skype is less preferred from the adcom points of view and hurts the applicant's chance of getting in?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: , International Business
WE:Consulting (Other)
Send PM
austinacmes wrote:
Anyone who received interview invite yesterday scheduled their interview yet? I tried to schedule mine yesterday. Got one reply asking me if i want to do skype next week or come to campus on Janurary 2nd. I told the i wanted the skype since i will be traveling in January. Never got the reply on that.

Does anyone know if skype is less preferred from the adcom points of view and hurts the applicant's chance of getting in?

I got an invite yesterday and I scheduled to do interview tomorrow. I'm going up to Ithaca. but i dont think they have preferrence. It is such a short notice. I dont think they expect everyone to make a trip to ithaca. But personally, I've done skype interview in the past and I prefer in person interview. (although i could have my cheat sheet on the wall and look at it for reference when I did skype interview :p)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  33   34   35   36   37   38   39  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts