Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) AWA 6.0

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
2 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 44 [2] , given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) AWA 6.0 [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 13:35
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Hi Guys..

Just done with my GMAT finally. Don’t think Ill want to repeat the test again. Scored a 720 ( Q, 49, V 41). Got a 6.0 on my AWA.

I took the test twice last year and I scored a 660 ( Q 47, V 35, AWA 5.0) and 620 ( Q 48 , V 28, AWA 5.5).

I’ve seen loads of scores with breakups of Q 49, V 41 at 730/740 earlier, which may mean that the test is getting progressively harder on its scoring.

On my test prep took about 12 tests including a few of GMATClub tests. They are definitely helpful, but I have realised that the GMAT Quant was way different today from anything I have seen so far. It was definitely tricky, and required understanding of the subtle nuances of the subject more than intense calculation in some questions.

With regards to Verbal, you would be in good shape, with the Good Old books such as the OG, the Verbal OG and Quant OG guides, Manhattan SC, and Power Score CR bible.

I took training from Knewton and it was excellent as well. Writing about this calls for a separate post, and I don’t want my debrief to sound like a marketing campaign for Knewton, but "KNEWTON ROCKS". I would definitely accredit my comfort level on the verbal section to them. They were fabulous.

To those who wanted to know how I progressed to this score, here are my Practice Test scores

ETS Paper Based Test 1 - 720
ETS Paper Based test 2- 710
ETS Paper Based test 3- 700
ETS Paper Based Test 4 - 740

GMAT Prep 1- 760
GMAT Prep 2- 750

Knewton Test 1- 700
Knewton Test 2-650
Knewton Test 3- 730
Knewton Test 4- 740

Although a more detailed debrief will follow from my side if needed, here some advice for future test takers

1) Don’t bother about tough probability, permutations and combination. You may not have any question, and even if you do, knowing the basic concept can help. If not guess and move on. You would be doing the guessing work on easier problems otherwise towards the end of the test. The problems you could have completed but didn’t due to lack on time.

2) Number theory, set theory and exponents will have far more problems. Surprisingly I had two or three geometry questions testing slopes in parallelograms and triangles. Although not difficult the problems were time consuming.

3) Problems in Quant are getting harder, and it is very difficult to complete the quant on time. I had to guess that last 7 questions and I did make educated guesses towards the end of the test.

4) Keep AWA for the last day. Chinese burned's AWA guide to 6.0 helps. Try to read some news paper articles in business news on Environmental issues, and the business climate. It will help in the AWA for giving real life examples.

5) On the verbal section, the CR is getting tougher. Work on a few passages where CR skills are being tested. That should hold you in good stead in the exam.

6) The CR was tough as well. Finally SC, which is painful for non native speakers, can be beat by knowing the common strategies, and practising the GMATPREP questions. Use GMATclub to search for previous posts on questions you don’t understand.

7) Finally I have been here for on GMAT club for a long time now. This is an addictive forum. Close to your test days, at least a month closer to your test , you are better off focusing on your practice tests than aggressively replying back to every post you read on GMATclub, I did that , last year and it didn’t help me. I was spending more time reading feel good nice posts about high scores, and reading posts on how I should be working on my essays rather than working on my weaknesses in the test. Do one thing at a time.. Don’t put your hands in two many buckets. You’ll come back empty handed

8)My wife lost her uncle 2 days before my test date, and I had two challenging days prior to the test; wherein I was trying to rush in for last minute tickets to India for her, and all travel agents were shut because it was weekend.
Couldn’t work on my plan for the last 2 days that I had in mind, but nevertheless, I am happy with what I have got... No regrets... So you never know in which situation you would be going in for your exam irrespective of your time and prep for Test. So when you go for your test, keep everything else aside, and when you are practicing, don’t jump over your excellent scores.
Your GMAT score doesn’t define you as a person, as an employee, as a friend.... Don’t harp over your test scores... No one would care beyond a point. Unless your plan to join a Test Prep company to go and teach GMAT

9) ETS and Pearson may not agree with me, but the GMAT also depends on your luck. But they say the luck favours the brave, so go ahead, give it your best shot and while doing the test forget bothering about your score.

10) Final day test tips ( For a relaxed exam) .

Do some breathing exercices between the sections. I learnt the Bellows breath technique ( bhastrika) and the brahmaari technique during my Art of Living Part 1 course. It was quite effective put to use in this test. Helps mellow down the constant chattering of your mind, and any worry if you do come across a difficult question. Very helpful for those who get nervous easily when they come across a difficult question or those who have a test fear and suddenly get blank in an exam hall. Alternative nosril breathing is also effective to calm your mind.
GMAT is a test of nerves, and it works best to maintain your cool throughout the test. Dont let a bad Quant section affect your morale for the Verbal.

Most importantly

1) Do not study very hard on the day prior to your exam.Study should be limited to revising formulas and idioms, and one should avoid studying if possible.
2)I messed up my test last year as I was exhausted prior to my test.
3) Eat a light brekfast and drink enough water, and avoid caffeine prior to the test.
4) Carry a Paracetamol tablet with you. Panadol etc. Take a pill should you need it. I took one prior to my test and I feel it helped.

And before I forget, thank you GMATCLUB you have been a part of my life, In fact my home page for more than a year now.. And I don’t intend on changing my home page just as yet...

Last edited by bhatiagp on 20 Sep 2009, 00:26, edited 7 times in total.
Knewton GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 13:41
"On road to victory....."

Victory, indeed! :)

Congrats my friend!

For Quant, how would you rate the difficulty level if one were to compare it with the GMATClub challenges, Kaplan, PR & Manhattan?

Similarly, how would you rate the verbal section compared to Kaplan, PR & Manhattan?
Current Student
Schools: Cornell University - The Johnson School
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 62

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 16:19
Nice Job!!! I hope to make a nice improvement in about a month. Good luck on your apps!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 16:20
Congrats for a great score! Your score should have been a bit higher given Q49 and V41.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 16:55
what are your percentiles? higher total scores may be tougher to get now...
Current Student
Schools: Duke,Oxford,IMD,INSEAD
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 15

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 16:58
nice score ... im surprised on 720 ... as u said it should have been 730+ ...
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 1

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 18:12
agreed should of been higher... has anyone done any analysis on the Q/V score and the breakdown??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: ACA, CPA
Schools: BC
WE 1: Big4, Audit
WE 2: Banking
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 41

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 18:42
A friend of mine got Q49, V46 and still managed to get only 730. Not sure how this works but i guess it has to do something with the difficulty of questions vs correct answers?

sfeiner wrote:
agreed should of been higher... has anyone done any analysis on the Q/V score and the breakdown??

If you have made mistakes, there is always another chance for you. You may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down.

GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 381 [0], given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 19:15
mabrook

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 0

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 19:24
Jivana wrote:
"On road to victory....."

For Quant, how would you rate the difficulty level if one were to compare it with the GMATClub challenges, Kaplan, PR & Manhattan?

Similarly, how would you rate the verbal section compared to Kaplan, PR & Manhattan?

I did not take the Manhattan tests, but will advise people to take up the Kaplan and GMATClub challenges. Theyre tough and you need them to realistically know where you stand on test date. I havent seen such difficult questions on my Test prep ever. The Quant is turning out to be quite a monster, and I am an engineering graduate, and my Quant skills arent bad.

Although I got a 49, the way I went about guessing the last few questions gasping for time... My score could have been a 47 in Quant perhaps. ... Dont know and now it doesnt matter.... Anyways this wasnt the ideal way to start your Verbal section. I was planning to cancel my tests scores.. but then something told me .. Wait and Just have a look , you test score, will really not matter in the bigger perspective of things in life....
Director
Director

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 19:45
boeinz wrote:
what are your percentiles? higher total scores may be tougher to get now...

Quant- 49- 87
Verbal -41- 91
Overall Test - 94
Manager
Manager
Schools: Harvard Business School, Stanford
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 20:28
Nice score, congratulations!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7773 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 20:37
Expert's post
:) Thanks for a great debrief! Congratulations!!!
You have a very "unique" location - UAE. Where are you applying? Middle East? Africa? Europe? US?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Director
Director

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 22:04
Plan to apply to Europe, and a few US Universities. I will be 29 this month , and am definately in the higher age bracket pool for most MBA applicants. Schools in Europe tend to have more students in this age bracket.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2176

Kudos [?]: 7773 [0], given: 3629

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 23:01
Expert's post
bhatiagp wrote:
Plan to apply to Europe, and a few US Universities. I will be 29 this month , and am definately in the higher age bracket pool for most MBA applicants. Schools in Europe tend to have more students in this age bracket.

True, I did have a roommate once from Manchester Business School who was 36 - I was 26 back then.
However, all top US schools have 28 as an average age, so I would not worry about having too many kids in your class.
Info: the-pants-pooping-applicant-thread-for-78477.html?view-post=617871#p617871

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 00:08
Congrats on the achievement. And good luck for the application.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 461 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2009, 00:27
Congrats man!! :)

The story seems to boost my confidence, as you attempted the last few questions. :)

But dont say that at 29 you are over aged,,, as I am too 29, and willing to apply next year R1 for 2011 class of european schools.

You are young and you have a + point that you have done the GMAT with kids & family. :)

Congrats again!!!

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 05:26
Hi First of all Gr8 Score and Congrats ,,
Could you tell me how did you move from 630s to 720,,, I am also in the same range.. have my date in a month..

Thanks and Regards
jieu
Director
Director

Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41) [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 12:29
jieugmatclub wrote:
Hi First of all Gr8 Score and Congrats ,,
Could you tell me how did you move from 630s to 720,,, I am also in the same range.. have my date in a month..

Thanks and Regards
jieu

I joined Knewton for GMAT Prep coaching, and worked hard on my Verbal , as I was not a native speaker. My Verbal went up from 28 to 41.
Thats a significant jump and it was no fluke.
Re: Done with it finally.. 720 ( Q 49, V 41)   [#permalink] 15 Sep 2009, 12:29