Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 17:33 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 17:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [8]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619030 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 169
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.73
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Dr. Kim: Electronic fetal monitors, now routinely used in hospital del [#permalink]
nah oa is c that is what a lsat expert says on powerscore. I cant post a link because i am a newb here, horrible rule on gmat club though
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 592
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Schulich
GPA: 3.89
WE:Research (Education)
Send PM
Re: Dr. Kim: Electronic fetal monitors, now routinely used in hospital del [#permalink]
Anyone, please explain why the answer is not B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
brains wrote:
The answer should be B

We are talking about the support to Kim contention. Kim concludes that buying the electronic monitor is unjustified because it does no more than the stethoscope and gives the same information. So Dr Kim based the decision on just equivalency of the information. The support should be the either of two
First, if we can show any significant difference between the uses of an alternative device
Second if we can prove it through other means that cost is unjustified.

Option C is just an opinion based on the equivalency which is already stated in the argument . It does no more to support the Kim conclusion
Option D weakens Kim contention
Option E does nothing to Contention

We are left with option A and B which are close.
Option A generalizes the use in whole Hospital other than in Delivery room while Kim contention was only for Delivery room

B fits the support by stating the link. Hence B should be the answer

Answer choice (B): According to Dr. Kim’s argument, both the stethoscope and the electronic monitoring provide potentially useful information, so the principle in this answer choice would allow for either method. It wouldn’t lead us to the conclusion that we should discontinue electronic monitoring in favor of the stethoscope.

Option C is "just an opinion" of Kim's but it is not based on the equivalency, it is based on intrusiveness which gives a stethoscope an edge. Thus if this "just opinion" is accepted as a principle, it strengthens Kim's proposition.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7627 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Top Contributor
We are looking for an answer option to support Dr Kim's suggestion to discontinue the use of electronic fetal monitors because they are more intrusive than ordinary stethoscopes and do no more to improve the chances that a healthy baby will be born. Let us examine the answer options:

(A) Hospitals should discontinue the routine use of a monitoring method whenever an alternative method that provides more information becomes available. We do not know from the stimulus if there is "alternate method that provides more information". This is not the reason for Dr Kim's suggestion. Eliminate.

(B) Monitoring procedures should be routinely used in delivery rooms only if they provide information of a kind that is potentially useful in ensuring that a healthy baby will be born. Electronic fetal monitors do provide information "that is potentially useful in ensuring that a healthy baby will be born. Dr Kim states the electronic fetal monitors, "do no more to improve the chances that a healthy baby will be born". "Do no more" implies that they may be doing as much as stethoscopes. Hence, this can not be used to support Dr Kim's suggestion.

(C) When two methods available to hospitals provide the same kind of information, the more intrusive method should not be used. Correct answer - Dr Kim specifically mentions the intrusiveness of electronic fetal monitors as one of the reasons for discontinuing its use.

(D) When the use of a medical device has enabled doctors to learn something that improves the chances that babies will be born healthy, that device is well worth its cost. This supports Dr Anders' claim, not Dr Kim's. Eliminate.

(E) Routinely used medical procedures should be reevaluated periodically to be sure that these procedures provide reliable information. We do not know that electronic fetal monitors do not provide reliable information. Also, this option does not say that the results of such reviews should lead to discontinuing the use of any devices, although that would make sense. Eliminate.

Hope this helps.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts