Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 16:55 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 16:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [10]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V27
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
During the 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:
While reading the newspaper, I saw her. -- correct

While she was reading the newspaper, I saw her. -- correct

I never noticed a noun after "while". Is this usage correct in choice B?

"As" can be used for simultaneous actions.

As I was reading newspaper, I noticed her leaving the office -- correct

In choice D, Use of "As" is incorrect?

Option B is wrong. "While" ideally introduces a dependent clause.
I was playing while my mother was cooking.
"While" cannot introduce a noun.

Option D is wrong - the sentence uses "as" in the sense "because". "As" to indicate simultaneous actions should use action verbs; verb to be ("was") is not an action verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: During the 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather [#permalink]
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

Option D is wrong - the sentence uses "as" in the sense "because". "As" to indicate simultaneous actions should use action verbs; verb to be ("was") is not an action verb.

Thanks ! that means no choice is correct in this case?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 89
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: IIMB
GMAT 1: 550 Q42 V28
GPA: 3.96
WE:Human Resources (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Re: During the 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather [#permalink]
can anybody explain that the pronoun their is used for these two 'theater and music reviews' ?
need help
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 83
Send PM
nks2611 wrote:
can anybody explain that the pronoun their is used for these two 'theater and music reviews' ?
need help

theater and music reviews that were often uncompromising in their criticisms.

Here "that" is modifying preceding noun "reviews" and is acting as the subject for the subsequent clause. Try replacing that with reviews and you get following clause - "reviews were often uncompromising in their criticisms."
Hope this helps

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V36
GRE 1: Q166 V147
GPA: 3.3
WE:Other (Consulting)
Send PM
sayantanc2k wrote:
AR15J wrote:

Hello sayantanc2k,

Could you please help in identifying the correct answer for this question
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Send PM
1. Why is the use of "had" wrong in option C. Is it that the events are not related or are not sequential?
2. Does option C also have any structural error, redundancy or meaning error?
3. is the meaning change significant for use to discard E?

Thanks a lot.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Can someone provide the correct answer to this question?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 290 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
A) During the early 1890s, while ((at the same time)) a student, Willa Cather had written - redundancy error

B) While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather wrote - correct

C) Willa Cather ((had written)), while ((as)) a student in the early 1890s, - redundancy error

D) Willa Cather wrote, ((as she was a student)) in the early 1890s, - changes meaning

E) While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather ((became known)) for her - changes meaning

I don't see any problem in the usage of while in this context. Applying the basic rules all options except B can be eliminated.

Sent from my Lenovo K53a48 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Rumikido3 wrote:
The original sentence has some problems:
-Use of "while" + "at the same time" is redundant.
-Use of past perfect "had written is not required since there is no sequence of events.

Pre-thinking:
In this question while is used to denote same-time events, so correct answer choice would be:
While Willa Carther was a student in the early 1890s, she wrote theatric and music reviews....

Whit my pre-thinking I tried to find an answer, and B was the best fit. However, the structure of this option is the following:
While + Noun modifier, + Clause:
While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather wrote theater and music reviews that were often uncompromising in their criticisms.

I know that the uses of while are the following:
1) Show that two events are happening at the same time: Ex. The phone rang while I was writing this post.
2) Denote a contrast. (although)

But when used for same-time events, Can we use "while" before a noun modifier or we need While + Clause1, clause2 as stated in my pre-thinking?
I got the right answer choice B, but just wanted to validate this grammar query.

sayantanc2k ....Plz if you can validate the above highlighted part
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
abhimahna Please guide for this question. I marked Option C
Current Student
Affiliations: Senior Manager, CA by profession, CFA(USA) Level 2
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 148
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 560 Q44 V23
GMAT 2: 530 Q39 V24
GMAT 3: 580 Q46 V24 (Online)
GMAT 4: 640 Q50 V26
GPA: 3.82
WE:Other (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
SonalSinha803 wrote:
A) During the early 1890s, while ((at the same time)) a student, Willa Cather had written - redundancy error

C) Willa Cather ((had written)), while ((as)) a student in the early 1890s, - redundancy error

D) Willa Cather wrote, ((as she was a student)) in the early 1890s, - changes meaning

E) While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather ((became known)) for her - changes meaning

I don't see any problem in the usage of while in this context. Applying the basic rules all options except B can be eliminated.

Not clear with your explanation. Could you please elaborate a bit more sonal?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
During the 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather [#permalink]
vasuca10 wrote:
SonalSinha803 wrote:

Not clear with your explanation. Could you please elaborate a bit more sonal?

Hi vasuca10,

'as' is also used to show a role.
She takes care of her sister as a mother - it means 'she takes care of her sister as a mother does'

In the above question, Willa Cather was not playing a role of a student but she was indeed a student.

now, we can easily eliminate C & D.
A & E are wrong for meaning and tenses.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Rumikido3 wrote:
During the early 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather had written theater and music reviews that were often uncompromising in their criticisms.

A) During the early 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather had written
B) While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather wrote
C) Willa Cather had written, while as a student in the early 1890s,
D) Willa Cather wrote, as she was a student in the early 1890s,
E) While a student in the early 1890s, Willa Cather became known for her

This is also a 800score question.. I will appreciate your analysis.

Well , I'm still not convinced with B as an answer , as all the newbies have posted their analysis , most of them looks like an odd guess.

Any experts on this ? Application of while in option B ? is it making sense ?

GMATNinja @Abhimahana GMATninja2 mikemcgarry Magoosh payaltandon
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63673 [0]
Given Kudos: 1774
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
loserunderachiever wrote:
Rumikido3 wrote:
During the early 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather had written theater and music reviews that were often uncompromising in their criticisms.

A) During the early 1890s, while at the same time a student, Willa Cather had written

Well , I'm still not convinced with B as an answer , as all the newbies have posted their analysis , most of them looks like an odd guess.

The intention of the question-writer is that "while" indicates that two things happen simultaneously ("While eating his weight in burritos, Charlie was happy."). And that's completely fine.

However, you'll want to take this one with a huge grain of salt, since it's a non-official question. Some of you are probably tired of hearing me say this, but the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each individual GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete with that. And this one just doesn't quite feel like a GMAT question to me.

The use of "while" (indicating two simultaneous events) is perfectly acceptable in (B), but "while" can also be a synonym for "although" -- so the exact meaning of "while" in (B) is arguably a little bit confusing, and I'm not sure that you'd see an official GMAT question with this issue. So don't worry about this one too much.

I hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Sales (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Rumikido3 wrote:

The intention of the question-writer is that "while" indicates that two things happen simultaneously ("While eating his weight in burritos, Charlie was happy."). And that's completely fine.

However, you'll want to take this one with a huge grain of salt, since it's a non-official question. Some of you are probably tired of hearing me say this, but the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing each individual GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete with that. And this one just doesn't quite feel like a GMAT question to me.

The use of "while" (indicating two simultaneous events) is perfectly acceptable in (B), but "while" can also be a synonym for "although" -- so the exact meaning of "while" in (B) is arguably a little bit confusing, and I'm not sure that you'd see an official GMAT question with this issue. So don't worry about this one too much.

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja

Thanks a ton ! this clears up.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 385
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V41
Send PM
GMATNinja wrote:
Rumikido3 wrote:

I hope this helps!

GMATNinja

I struggled with this question because the clause "While a student in the early 1890s" doesn't contain any verb form. Don't we require a verb form such as "being"? Its weird that I sensed that B felt right but because of the problem I described I ruled out this answer.

Can you please elaborate on this?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts