Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Jul 2014, 01:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

First Gmat, now GRE?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GPA: 4
WE: Consulting (Investment Banking)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 10

GMAT ToolKit User
First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 00:18
Hey guys!

Over the course of my last internship, I changed plans for my master programs, which unfortunately requires me to take the GRE instead of the GMAT. I repeatedly scored 50-51 on quant parts of Manhatten and PowerPrep tests. I already bought all GMAT Quant books. Do you think its necessary to buy Manhatten's GRE books (my universities require a perfect score, meaning 800 in quant and only 790 in exceptional cases). What about the verbal books?

So far, I purchased the official guide to the revised toefl test and barron's book, as I heard that they are particularly good on the verbal part.

Best wishes!
Marcel

Edit: Aah and I have access to the GMATClub tests, how valuable to me are these?
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 07:01
Well, I don't think you have to worry about quant, because GRE math is waaaaaaaay easier than GMAT math. (This is coming from someone who is terrible at math, so if I found the GRE math more manageable, it should be a breeze for you!)

I've only recently begun prep and have taken a couple practice tests, and the thing that jumps out at me as being the most difficult would be the sentence completion. Some questions require you to add 3 words to a sentence to complete it, and you only get credit if you get all 3 words right. There are words I have never seen, and being a native speaker and an avid reader, I was surprised at all the words I did not know. So I think that would be the biggest challenge. I think the materials you have will be sufficient...I hear the Barron's vocab lists are particularly helpful.

There is a thread with free practice tests in it (a couple topics down from this one), so I would recommend you maybe take one to see where you're at and go from there.

Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1

Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 10:32
What schools/programs require a perfect quant section? That said, if you're getting 50/51 on GMAT quant, GRE quant will be a walk in the park. Just stay focused during the test and you should (should) be ok.
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2011, 23:33
Cambridge requires quant scores above 90%, and 780 are already in the 85%, as I remember.

Thank you guys! I will finish the MGMAT questions and then take my first preptest. I am more afraid about the verbal part. :-/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 06:09
e1s wrote:
Cambridge requires quant scores above 90%, and 780 are already in the 85%, as I remember.
Thank you guys! I will finish the MGMAT questions and then take my first preptest. I am more afraid about the verbal part. :-/

Watch out for the vocabulary i.e. the sentence equivalence and text completion questions :twisted:

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2011, 07:15
Quote:
GRE Requirements
All applicants whose previous university training is from countries outside the UK must submit the results of a recent Graduate Record Examination (GRE) General Test (applicants taking a London University external degree are required to take a GRE test). The Faculty will not normally consider admitting a student whose score registers below the 90th percentile in the quantitative section and below the 50th percentile in the analytical writing section of the test. The Faculty must receive the results of the GRE General Test by the due date for complete applications (see How and When to Apply for Admission).

What does that tell me? They don't care at all about the verbal section? My comment is not too bad, I already got 30 points on my Toefl essays. I know the Gre Essays are definitely more sophisticated, but hey its a good start ;-)
Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 17 Oct 2011, 00:06
One more! Besides the sentence completion book, do you think I should buy any other Manhattan verbal guide?

I am also very opposed to stupidly memorize vocabulary. Did anyone took the approach and learnt mainly roots, pre and suffixes?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 126 [0], given: 286

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: First Gmat, now GRE? [#permalink] New post 19 Oct 2011, 00:32
e1s wrote:
One more! Besides the sentence completion book, do you think I should buy any other Manhattan verbal guide?

I've gone through many of the books, and given a choice, i'd purchase just the OG and ALL the Manhattan Guides. If you have already purchased other books such as Kaplan, Princeton, and don't want to spend too much more, then you'll have to select based on which sections you are having trouble in.

Quote:
I am also very opposed to stupidly memorize vocabulary. Did anyone took the approach and learnt mainly roots, pre and suffixes?

Never, ever just stupidly memorize. It never helps. The best approach is to pick up a book/ newspaper/ magazine, go through the word list and note down foreign words, and their context. Check out usages of the word online, and then find the root, pre and suffixes....
Practice using the words you have "memorized" recently while talking to someone or typing out an email.

Net Impact's BUSINESS AS UNUSUAL Guide - a must-read!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: First Gmat, now GRE?   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2011, 00:32