Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:07 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [3]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:Terry, Georgia Tech
 Q50  V40
GPA: 7.87
WE 1: Working for Wipro Technologies since April 2010
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Chicago R1, UCLA R1, Cornell R2
 Q49  V45
GPA: 3.96
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [1]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: For applicants with very limited professional experience [#permalink]
Kudos
imkabob wrote:
This thread is a great idea!

GPA: 3.42

GMAT: 730 (V42, Q47, AWA6)

TOEFL: n/a

No. of years of work experience: 1 yr full time work as Media Coordinator of social networking startup, also worked 1 yr essentially full time for a church while working part time as a marketing assistant (does church work count as work if I wasn't paid?), spent the past year working on and off (on since september) in freelance writing, also have a few web-based business ideas int he works

Industry: digital media

Target B- School(s): applying to UCLA, USC, UWash, Haas, Tuck, HBS, Stanford, Ross, Stern, Columbia, Kellogg

Concern( if you think you are lacking in work ex. then why so)/ Unique feature( if you think you can make it despite lack of work ex., then why so): lack of quant background, don't know how they look upon freelance work and church work

I have a similar problem. I have worked for an NGO but dunno if the adcom is gonna attach any values to it. In your list of schools there are a couple who r genuinely interested in young students. That's good, as it shows the astute aspect in you. Also, community service is something MBA students are required to do in almost all schools so I expect your experience might not be so worthless afterall.

Anyways, all the best. Keep us posted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 87 [0]
 Q50  V40
Send PM
Re: For applicants with very less professional experience [#permalink]
I'll start...

Name:
Edit: Please be careful, don't post your full name

GPA: 7.87/10

GMAT: 740(AWA- 6)

TOEFL: 117

No. of years of work experience: 15 months by Aug 2011

Industry: IT

Target B- School(s): Georgia Tech, Terry

Concerns:
1. Typical profile of Indian, IT, male
2. Need assistantships/scholarships but don't know whether it is achievable with only 15 months of work ex.

Unique feature:
1. Have worked in 3 different cities viz. Bangalore, Hyderabad, Chennai.
2. Is working with ERPs( Enterprise Resource Planning)... softwares finding huge importance across all industries.

Originally posted by samidh on 19 Nov 2010, 10:39.
Last edited by samidh on 01 Dec 2010, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
earlycareerMBA wrote:
Hello,

It would be silly if I didn't share my profile here, given my username. :wink: I agree that there should be more information for young applicants on GMATClub. I've included my profile and a few words of advice.

Name: earlycareerMBA

Sex: Female

GPA: 3.96 (current college senior)

GMAT: 760 (AWA 6)

TOEFL: --

No. of years of work experience: 2 yrs at matriculation (running small company), with 1 eight month internship, 1 researcher position, 1 honorary position (donor relations at my university), and 1 teaching assistant job.

Extracurrics: Leader-ish titles in 2 current organizations and 2 past organizations

Industry: Entrepreneurship 8-) in the consumer products industry

Target B- School(s): Stanford R1, Wharton R1, Booth R1, Cornell R2, UCLA R1, McCombs R1, CU-Boulder R1

School Choice Reasoning: great Entrepreneurship programs with some indication that they would consider an early applicant.

Current Status: Interviewed with Wharton, Booth, Cornell, UCLA, CU-Boulder. (I'll update when I hear back)

Concern( if you think you are lacking in work ex. then why so): In conversation (or interview), many people don't think there is anything unique about my profile until I mention that I am a college senior.

Unique feature( if you think you can make it despite lack of work ex., then why so): I have a strange background and my current company is creative in focus. I always bring a sample product to interviews (and I always get a "wow!"), because what I do is tricky to explain. Starting a company has a way of concentrating experiences. When I mess up, there's no one else to blame and the consequence of my actions is painfully obvious. So even though the number of years of experience I have isn't as high as some other applicants, I like to think that my experiences are just as rich and educational.

My advice to other early applicants:

The Why Now Obstacle:
If "Why Now?" is not obvious from looking at your resume, think carefully about how you are positioning yourself. For me, plugging away at my company, making reactive business decisions, is a terrible use of my time. Far better to pursue an MBA now, get some of those day-to-day tools and a broader perspective on what's possible and then return to my company ready to push full throttle.

Why now: not just "why do you want the education now?" but "why do you want to take 2 years off of work now?" These are different questions and you should be able to answer both of them.

Why not 2-3 years from now: not just "why not go get 2-3 years more experience?" but "is the MBA experience in any way less valuable to you if you wait a couple years?"

Just things to think about. The Why Now question is a huge part of your application, so your answer should be nuanced and show a deep understanding of your situation. There are 2 sides to every question and your answer should appropriately reflect if it was asked in a positive way "why..." or a negative way "why not..."

Recommenders:
This was a huge problem for me since I am a college senior and an entrepreneur. I have no supervisors. I ended up relying on the goodwill of my research mentor and past internship supervisor. Neither of them knew me particularly well, but they had been very impressed by the work I had done for them, so they probably wrote positive, if not particularly "professional" recommendations. Either way, the schools that you apply to will understand the pickle you are in. Unless you have that 5 years of work experience, it is really hard to get 2 great professional recommendations. In fact, Booth requires a letter from a professor as well (for a total of 3) if you are a college senior.

Uniqueness:
This is purely opinion but perhaps someone will find it useful. I don't think you're going to get very far if your resume looks like a mini version of someone else's resume from your field. If the reviewer/interviewer/alum/faculty/whoever can see you trundling along for another couple years and having a resume equal to that of another applicant, there needs to be a really, really good reason to take you now. Every conversation I have with alumni or faculty revolves around "containing the early career MBA population." No one really wants very many of us. Even Booth, with a handful of webpages specifically for early career applicants, only takes about 10% of the class from this "0-3 years of work experience" category (stat from an Adcom member at an MBA fair event). You need to genuinely be unique, not just a couple of "ah yes, very nice" points on your resume. Whether it's career goals, background, extracurric experiences, or just vision, it needs to be unique to you now. If you can see yourself making the same argument 2 or 3 years down the road, it's not a good one. Additionally, if you (heaven forbid) actually do end up re-applying 2-3 years down the road, it's going to sound really half-hearted.

Anyway, just my 2 cents. Send me a PM if you want to talk further.

+1 for such a superb post!

btw, since you feel your profile is not unique, must say mine looks like trash! :P
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
This thread is a great idea!

GPA: 3.42

GMAT: 730 (V42, Q47, AWA6)

TOEFL: n/a

No. of years of work experience: 1 yr full time work as Media Coordinator of social networking startup, also worked 1 yr essentially full time for a church while working part time as a marketing assistant (does church work count as work if I wasn't paid?), spent the past year working on and off (on since september) in freelance writing, also have a few web-based business ideas int he works

Industry: digital media

Target B- School(s): applying to UCLA, USC, UWash, Haas, Tuck, HBS, Stanford, Ross, Stern, Columbia, Kellogg

Concern( if you think you are lacking in work ex. then why so)/ Unique feature( if you think you can make it despite lack of work ex., then why so): lack of quant background, don't know how they look upon freelance work and church work
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Name: chocoswiss

GPA: 3.44/5

GMAT: 720 (6 AWA)

TOEFL:

No. of years of work experience: 26 (as of Sept 2011)

Industry: Current in Banking, Target: Banking, Pharma, FMCG

Target B- School(s): ISB, IESE, ESADE, UCLA, Kenan-Flagler, NUS, NTU

Concern( if you think you are lacking in work ex. then why so)/ Unique feature( if you think you can make it despite lack of work ex., then why so):
Concern: low gpa, work exp, Indian
Unique: lived in Singapore for substantial part of life, eclectic ECs, lean sigma project in addition to fin role
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
Name:Blu

GPA: still in undergrad. so far i have 3.0. i have two more terms to go. then 8 months later I'm going to apply to b-school. undergrad right into grad school.

GPA is little weak. I'm working and going to school has well. I'm using my free time wisely, and i'm pretty much busting a move. trying to make my profile better.

Sex, male.

race, Latin first generation.

age 23

GMAT: not yet taken.

TOEFL: I'm in the U.S.

No. of years of work experience:
a year at best.

my plan was to get a internship for a year and a half, try to somewhat make up for lack of work experience but it back fired. i can't get a non paying internship at my school. to make up for this (try to) i do non paying graphic work for clients.

Industry: Graphic design. while in school i fall in love with marketing.

Target B- School(s): Upenn, Duke, NWU Kellogg, Cornell?, Indiana U, Ross, UNC Kenan Flagler, Dartmouth Tuck, UVA Darden.

Unique feature.
my environmental/marketing teachers say i have talent for marketing.
we will see how good I'm in this marketing thing.
I'm going to email CPG's with my ad ideas and we will see what happens after that.
i have a meeting with my dean this week, I'm going to try to bring her to my team.
I'm going to send my marketing ideas to the b-school professors and the marketing club. See what they think of it.

other Unique feature.
leadership roles in college, Latin, rare undergrad.
long story short I'm doing what i can to make up for my GPA and WE trying to make my profile the best it can.

that's the plan. A long shot you bet, but its a plan.
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
IllustratorBlu wrote:

GPA: still in undergrad. so far i have 3.0. i have two more terms to go. then 8 months later I'm going to apply to b-school. undergrad right into grad school.

GPA is little weak. I'm working and going to school has well. I'm using my free time wisely, and i'm pretty much busting a move. trying to make my profile better.

Sex, male.

age 23

a year at best.

my plan was to get a internship for a year and a half, try to somewhat make up for lack of work experience but it back fired. i can't get a non paying internship at my school. to make up for this (try to) i do non paying graphic work for clients.

Target B- School(s): Upenn, Duke, NWU Kellogg, Cornell?, Indiana U, Ross, UNC Kenan Flagler, Dartmouth Tuck, UVA Darden.

Unique feature.
I'm going to email CPG's with my ad ideas and we will see what happens after that.
i have a meeting with my dean this week, I'm going to try to bring her to my team.
I'm going to send my marketing ideas to the b-school professors and the marketing club. See what they think of it.

other Unique feature.
long story short I'm doing what i can to make up for my GPA and WE trying to make my profile the best it can.

A good plan indeed. Yes, usually Bschools like people with a good gpa and work ex. But you know what, many schools, even the best ones look for candidates who are unique. If you can convince them to interview you and impress them with your ideas, there is no reason why you cannot make it.

Keep us posted. All the best for your future endeavours!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:dont know yet
Send PM
samidh wrote:
IllustratorBlu wrote:

Sex, male.

age 23

a year at best.

Unique feature.

other Unique feature.

A good plan indeed. Yes, usually Bschools like people with a good gpa and work ex. But you know what, many schools, even the best ones look for candidates who are unique. If you can convince them to interview you and impress them with your ideas, there is no reason why you cannot make it.

Keep us posted. All the best for your future endeavours!

Yes, usually Bschools like people with a good gpa and work ex

indeed they love it, has you can tell i have been using gmatclub for a while. my gpa is low, but i can take
few classes at the local college in stats and such.

my work ex is low no way around that.

i have few things in mind that I'm going to do before i apply next year.
we will see, we will see.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Name:Ruroken

GPA:82% (first class with distinction)

GMAT:700 (q50 v35)

TOEFL:n/a

No. of years of work experience:23 months as of sept 1,2011

Industry:4 months mining (rest in Green business - renewable energy, energy auditing, green buildings...)

Target B- School(s):Columbia, Chicago Booth, NYU, Kellogg, Harvard, MITSloan, Wharton, ISB

Concern: Very less workexp

Advantage: current work exp is in green businesses plus its in UAE so international exposure.....
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GPA:3.4 (ish), Industrial Engineering

GMAT: TBD (12/20)

No. of years of work experience: 3 years at matriculation.

Industry: Retail - Fortune 1 company Project manager for multi-channel development. (Aka how to merge online and brick/mortar stores)

Target B- School(s): Top Tier - Kellogg (R2), Duke (R2). Second Tier- SMU (R2), Penn State (R2)

Concern( if you think you are lacking in work ex. then why so)/ Unique feature( if you think you can make it despite lack of work ex., then why so):

I have less than 5 years of experience. Unique feature - work at the world's largest company for the past 3 years. 23 years old - managing around 60 million of capital (I had a great manager who believed in me and watched closely). I have been promoted once in my internal group. Now, I work how to merge the online world and the brick/mortar stores. I volunteer regularly for a school under state "school improvement," assisting with technology and process flow.

My goal is to be an entrepreneur in the US, because I enjoy the challenge. I lack the marketing and finance skills that are normally taught in business school. I would also pursue education management. I believe our US public schools need drastic improvement - standards are antiquated, and need overhaul.

-----
Hopefully we can get some feedback. My first app is due 1/4. Thanks for starting the post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi guys - interesting topic. I'll have a little under three full years of employment at matriculation. I've heard it both ways, but do you plan on addressing this in your optional essay?

Personally, I've had a solid career progression in a short amount of time, but the next step up almost certainly requires an MBA. I'm not sure if I should explain, or if it just highlights a (minor?) deficiency. It's not as though I have, say, a year of experience. Thoughts?
Manager
Manager
 Q50  V40
Send PM
jalapeno wrote:
Hi guys - interesting topic. I'll have a little under three full years of employment at matriculation. I've heard it both ways, but do you plan on addressing this in your optional essay?

Personally, I've had a solid career progression in a short amount of time, but the next step up almost certainly requires an MBA. I'm not sure if I should explain, or if it just highlights a (minor?) deficiency. It's not as though I have, say, a year of experience. Thoughts?

I personally feel you should explain why you think that MBA is a major requirement for your career. No way is it a shortcoming, as most of us want to pursue the degree because we need it, and not because we want to pass time in some fancy college. I have seen the essays of few people who have got into good colleges and most of them, in fact, stressed on why MBA is important to them.

Good Luck!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 4
WE:Web Design (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Name : daksha

Sex: Female

GPA: 4.0

GMAT: 760

TOEFL: -- 111

No. of years of work experience: 2 yrs by July 2014

Industry Type : Reputed IT Research and Development

EC : Olympiad Winner, National scholarship holder, won in international dance fest, national quiz

Leadership : Headed the design team in just 2 months of job, promoted in 8 months, Found my own club at college , Was a convenor at fests, have been working as a volunteer for diff NGOs since the past 5 years (though its more of a hobby and cannot be counted as work ex)

Target B- School(s): Emory, Wharton, Booth, ISB, UCLA, Sloan , NUS and a few more

School Choice Reasoning: Awesome Entrepreneurship scope with some consideration for early applicants.

Current Status: Interviewed with Emory (dinged :cry: ) applying to rest

Concern : Any suggestions regarding any more colleges where I have a good chance of getting in with low work ex and this profile will receive heartfelt appreciation. :-D
GMAT Club Bot