Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 03:08

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance [#permalink] New post 28 Aug 2009, 05:30
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  5% (low)

Question Stats:

21% (01:35) correct 78% (00:26) wrong based on 23 sessions
307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if
(B) despite being
(C) even if they are
(D) although they may be
(E) even if remaining

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C


304. For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
C

These Questions are from SC1000
Can someone please explain when to use even though, even if, although and despite..Greatly appreciate the help.

Thanks!!
5 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 179 [5] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 10:08
5
This post received
KUDOS
I'm copying this directly from my notes, shoot back if you need more information, I'll search it. I hope somebody has a better explanation

# Even if vs Even though

1. Even if - means whether or not and has to do with the conditions that may apply. Even if is used as a conjunction.(even though cannot act as a conjunction).
1. Even if I had time, I wouldn't watch that programme.
2. Even if Mark told the truth, I wouldn't believe him.
2. Even though - Even though means despite the fact that and is a more emphatic version of though and although. It is primarily concesive
1. Even though I had time, I didn't watch that programme
2. Even though Mark told the truth, I didn't believe him.
3. The differences can be appreciated in this sentence
1. I'm going out, even if it rains
2. I'm going out, even though it's going to rain
1. We do not know whether it will rain or not in (1) so we use even if
2. In (2) we know that it is going to rain but we are going out anyway

Regarding your questions


307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if

you need a subject after even if to complete the sentence.

(B) despite being

this modifies the price of automobile insurance so should be close to the noun it modifies

(C) even if they are

Correct. Mainly option A but adding the subject

(D) although they may be

I think this is grammatically correct, perhaps are instead of may be. The main problem with this sentence is that changes the meaning of the original.

(E) even if remaining
subject problem.

The other question present the same problems. Anyway I think you need to add "that" between appliances and parents if you want C to be the correct answer choice.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 179 [2] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 11:25
2
This post received
KUDOS
yes, I compile my notes from all the resources I find/have.
2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 179 [2] , given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 01:13
2
This post received
KUDOS
Casinoking wrote:
in # 304- What is wrong with "E" ? I know it is a bit wordy but I don't see any other mistakes.In "C".. is the use of "miraculous" correct?


I think the main problem with option E is the verb tense.

appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

First you should use that instead of which but this is a small issue.
The intended meaning of the sentence is that the household appliances would be a miracle to the grandparents now. If you modify the verb tense for would have been, you change the tense to the past, saying that the current appliances could have been a miracle to the grandparents in the past.

I hope sb can explain it better.
SVP
SVP
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 08:18
Yesss!
Some help with this stuff!!!
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Manager
Manager
Joined: 28 Aug 2009
Posts: 196
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 11:15
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
I'm copying this directly from my notes, shoot back if you need more information, I'll search it. I hope somebody has a better explanation

# Even if vs Even though

1. Even if - means whether or not and has to do with the conditions that may apply. Even if is used as a conjunction.(even though cannot act as a conjunction).
1. Even if I had time, I wouldn't watch that programme.
2. Even if Mark told the truth, I wouldn't believe him.
2. Even though - Even though means despite the fact that and is a more emphatic version of though and although. It is primarily concesive
1. Even though I had time, I didn't watch that programme
2. Even though Mark told the truth, I didn't believe him.
3. The differences can be appreciated in this sentence
1. I'm going out, even if it rains
2. I'm going out, even though it's going to rain
1. We do not know whether it will rain or not in (1) so we use even if
2. In (2) we know that it is going to rain but we are going out anyway

Regarding your questions


307. For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance continues to rise annually, even if free of damage claims and moving violations.
(A) even if

you need a subject after even if to complete the sentence.

(B) despite being

this modifies the price of automobile insurance so should be close to the noun it modifies

(C) even if they are

Correct. Mainly option A but adding the subject

(D) although they may be

I think this is grammatically correct, perhaps are instead of may be. The main problem with this sentence is that changes the meaning of the original.

(E) even if remaining
subject problem.

The other question present the same problems. Anyway I think you need to add "that" between appliances and parents if you want C to be the correct answer choice.

Mike,your notes look great...did you compile them?
Intern
Intern
Joined: 28 May 2009
Posts: 13
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 05:54
Thanks a lot Mike! for the clear explanation on how/when to use even if and even though

However I am still confused about despite, instead of, although..
Any pointers?

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Joined: 11 Aug 2009
Posts: 130
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 06:18
Both answers are C?
307)
(A) 'even if' should be followed by subject and verb, but in this sentence the subordinate clause pertains no subject and verb. (In formal grammar, subject and verb can be omitted, but that case cannot be considered in this sentence because the subject of the main clause is not the same as that of subordinate clause, and if I don't miss, I haven't seen the sentence in which subject and verb are omitted is right answer on GMAT problem)
(B) same case as A. The subject in main clause is not same as that of the subordinate, so it cannot be omitted, and 'despite being' is wordy and awkward.
(C) 'They' clearly refers to antecedent 'most customers' because most customers are only plural in this sentence.
(D) 'Although' distorts its meaning.
(E) 'even if' needs subject and verb.

304) C for the same reason as 307.
Intern
Intern
Joined: 12 Jun 2009
Posts: 15
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 11:27
But if 'they' in option C refers to consumers,how can consumers be free of damage claims and moving violations.

Please clarify.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 11 Nov 2009, 13:34
in # 304- What is wrong with "E" ? I know it is a bit wordy but I don't see any other mistakes.In "C".. is the use of "miraculous" correct?
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 23 Jun 2009
Posts: 155
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 10:31
mikeCoolBoy wrote:
Casinoking wrote:
in # 304- What is wrong with "E" ? I know it is a bit wordy but I don't see any other mistakes.In "C".. is the use of "miraculous" correct?


I think the main problem with option E is the verb tense.

appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

First you should use that instead of which but this is a small issue.
The intended meaning of the sentence is that the household appliances would be a miracle to the grandparents now. If you modify the verb tense for would have been, you change the tense to the past, saying that the current appliances could have been a miracle to the grandparents in the past.

I hope sb can explain it better.


Thank you mikeCoolBoy.I thought the author intended to say that the appliances would have been a miracle to grandparents (i.e in the past). You pointed out the subtle difference clearly. +1 to you for explaining.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Joined: 29 Jul 2009
Posts: 316
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 9

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 12 Nov 2009, 10:52
you're welcome. The intended meaning of the sentence always comes in option A, unless that meaning makes no sense.
thank you for the kudos
SVP
SVP
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2010, 04:53
ggmatt wrote:
But if 'they' in option C refers to consumers,how can consumers be free of damage claims and moving violations.

Please clarify.


Same issue here.
Please clarify.
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


SVP
SVP
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2010, 07:40
seekmba wrote:
C and C for me.


wow, your contribution really helped...
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


SVP
SVP
Joined: 16 Jul 2009
Posts: 1634
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 28

Kudos [?]: 171 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 20 Jul 2010, 07:56
Actually "For most consumers", since it is a prepositional phrase, cannot be a subject.
"they" in C has no antecedent.
Please clarify,
_________________

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit


Intern
Intern
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 44
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 8

Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2010, 07:01
Awsome explaination Mike..
Kudos for u...
Manager
Manager
Joined: 21 Aug 2012
Posts: 171
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 7

Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each? [#permalink] New post 20 Jan 2013, 03:31
ggmatt wrote:
But if 'they' in option C refers to consumers,how can consumers be free of damage claims and moving violations.

Please clarify.



Same question ... please clarify ...
Re: Even if, although, despite - when to use each?   [#permalink] 20 Jan 2013, 03:31
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
New posts For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance TIANMU 1 19 Aug 2004, 06:36
New posts For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance srijay007 3 10 Sep 2004, 00:30
New posts For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance vipin7um 3 24 Mar 2006, 17:53
New posts For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance foolz_rulz 4 17 Jun 2006, 21:05
New posts For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance jyotsnasarabu 3 16 Nov 2006, 09:51
Display posts from previous: Sort by

For most consumers, the price of automobile insurance

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.