It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 13:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CEO
CEO

Kudos [?]: 1076 [0], given: 4

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2007, 11:44
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

49% (01:08) correct 51% (01:13) wrong based on 794 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 1076 [0], given: 4

12 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 8195 [12], given: 364

WE: Education (Education)
Re: Meaning [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Mar 2011, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Between “would find” and “would have found” the difference lies in that, “would find” denotes a definite future possibility, but one that has still not started to exist, while “would have found” points to something that started in the past and that might well carry into the future. Hence given that it is grandparents who are involved, “would have found” fits in more aptly than “would find”.

Hence we have to drop choices A, B and D. Between C and E, the passive expression “they are able” is an inferior one to the more dynamic and active “they can”. C is the decisive winner.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Kudos [?]: 8195 [12], given: 364

1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 461 [1], given: 50

Schools: IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Reviews Badge
Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Sep 2012, 21:36
This post received
KUDOS
jitgoel wrote:
whichscore wrote:
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household
appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a
miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found
miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find
miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle
to their grandparents

Can some one explain me they and their (pronoun) reflect to People or to the labor?
Allways pay attention to the logical antecedent for the pronoun. Here they/their definitely refer to people. If it refers to labor it does not make any sense (labor dont have grandparents). Ex- The car hits the tree and its engine is damaged. (Here it refers to car, and not tree. Tree dont have engine)
How one can find out tense problem is there in the sentence?

Clause 1: For many people, household labor remains demanding (Independent) Tense is present
Clause 2: even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. (Dependent with contrast) the subject "they" is misssing here.

(A) even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. Subject is missing- dont know who can afford
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle. Subject is missing- Dont now about the subject.
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous. Correct Choice- Usage of Can (present tense). The main/Principal clause is in present.
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous. Wrong tense used "could"
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents. Usage of which without comma

Regards
SD
-----------------------------
Press Kudos if you like my post.
Debrief 610-540-580-710(Long Journey): http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-600-540-580-710-finally-achieved-in-4th-attempt-142456.html

Kudos [?]: 461 [1], given: 50

Manager
Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 28 Aug 2016, 09:45
For non-native English speakers like me, what should one be aware of to get this kind of question right?

I was wiggling my head around

1. "if-then" structure - and realized it is not conditional sentence
2. No pronoun ambiguity.
3. Not other grammatical rules that I learned helped me .

How to tackle these kind of questions on the real GMAT?

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 79

VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Show Tags

New post 07 Feb 2017, 06:33
whichscore wrote:
For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household
appliances their grandparents would find a miracle
(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a
miracle
(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found
miraculous
(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find
miraculous
(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle
to their grandparents

beautiful question.
remember conditional sentences.
to say that a non-fact action is likely to happen in present or future, we use "would do". if I were you, I would do this job.
"would do" is impossible to happen because I can not be you. that is why "non fact action is likely to happen".
to say a non fact action is likely to happen in the past, we use "would have done". if I had met her yesterday, I would have shake hands with her". I did not meet her yesterday, so I can not shake hands.

our sentence is the same. in C, "their parent would have found miraculous" is used to say about non fact action which is certain to happen in the past. but this action can not happen because grandparent can not have the appliances .

to expanse this point, I say about "could have done". to say that a non fact action can happen, but is not certain to happen we use "could have done". similarly, we can say" I can do this job. I will do this job" to present a possibility or a likeliness of doing this job.

is this from gmatprep? I suspect because it is possible that there grandparent is still alive and the non fact action is in present time and, so, "would do" is still correct.

this sentence can be considered a conditional sentence to which we are farmiliar.

visit my facebook to help me.
on facebook, my name is: thang thang thang

Kudos [?]: 168 [0], given: 916

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 236

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.56
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 02:45
Hi daagh, mikemcgarry, sayantanc2k !

IMO, all options are wrong due to some reason that I mention below!, so please check whether my reasoning is right or wrong! Many thanks!

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle.

1. lack of subject after even if

(B) despite being able to afford household appliances their grandparents would find a miracle

1. lack of relative pronoun (which, that) between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

2. appliances is plural, while a miracle is singular, so there is no agreement between them.

(C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous

1. lack of relative pronoun (which, that) between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

(D) although they could afford household appliances their grandparents would find miraculous

1. lack of conjuntion between household appliances and their grandparents would find a miracle, therefore a run-on sentence.

2. there is no need for constrast

(E) even if they are able to afford household appliances which would have been a miracle to their grandparents

1. lack of comma before which

2. appliances is plural, while a miracle is singular, so there is no agreement between them.

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 8195 [0], given: 364

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 05:03
Top Contributor

leanhdung

The very foundation GMAT is the guidance from OG and GMAT Prep topics through their validity and veracity. If we do not trust them, we will only be going round and round like a bee that has lost its way. On the face of it, I will vouch that there is a definitive and correct answer to this GMAT Prep question.

Now, perhaps it will be interesting to know why you call A, B, and D as run-ons vis-a-vis the definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation. The run-on one finds mostly in GMAT is the comma - splice in which the comma takes on the job of joining the two ICs...
It will be satisfying if we can know what the two ICs are herein and how they are improperly joined. It may be noted that there is no comma used anywhere in these three choices.

IMO, the more substantive route to solve this would be to sift whether ' would find' or 'would have found' is correct. There is no point in saying that the grandparents would find them a miracle in the coming future days. We must attribute their perception with what they would have felt in their on their own contemporaneous times. That is the reason, A, B, and D could be dropped in one go.
Now left with C and E, the latter can be faulted for using a poor substitute 'are able to' to means just 'can' and using 'which' without the customary comma. You may also add to this the charge that it is unnecessarily passive. I feel E will fly in the face of the more dynamic C.

Can you solve at least some SC questions without delving into the initial statement?

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 06:12
daagh wrote:

leanhdung

The very foundation GMAT is the guidance from OG and GMAT Prep topics through their validity and veracity. If we do not trust them, we will only be going round and round like a bee that has lost its way. On the face of it, I will vouch that there is a definitive and correct answer to this GMAT Prep question.

Now, perhaps it will be interesting to know why you call A, B, and D as run-ons vis-a-vis the definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation. The run-on one finds mostly in GMAT is the comma - splice in which the comma takes on the job of joining the two ICs...
It will be satisfying if we can know what the two ICs are herein and how they are improperly joined. It may be noted that there is no comma used anywhere in these three choices.

IMO, the more substantive route to solve this would be to sift whether ' would find' or 'would have found' is correct. There is no point in saying that the grandparents would find them a miracle in the coming future days. We must attribute their perception with what they would have felt in their on their own contemporaneous times. That is the reason, A, B, and D could be dropped in one go.
Now left with C and E, the latter can be faulted for using a poor substitute 'are able to' to means just 'can' and using 'which' without the customary comma. You may also add to this the charge that it is unnecessarily passive. I feel E will fly in the face of the more dynamic C.

Yeah. I agree with you on the use of would do and would have found!

Let go back to clarify my doubt about run-on sentence.

You mentioned definition of the run-ons as sentences in which two or more independent clauses (i.e. complete sentences) are joined without an appropriate conjunction or mark of punctuation.

In option (C) even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous, we have two indepedent clauses: even if they can afford household appliances and their grandparents would have found miraculous and there is not any conjuntion between them.

Please explain why this sentence is not considered a run-on one on the basis of your above definition of run-on sentence!

Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one - Bruce Lee

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 06:50
Yeah daagh I agree with you on the difference between would find and would have found.

Let go back to clarify my doubt about the run-on sentence.

I got it: in option C, even if they can afford household appliances is dependent clause and their grandparents would have found miraculous is independent clause.

I usually observe that when the dependent clause comes first, then there is a comma after dependent clause. For example: Although it was raining, we went to the movies.

Bacause this is the first time I see the structure: Even if clause 1 clause 2 (there is no comma), I think sentence structure in C is weird :). In my reasoning, if C have a comma between even if they can afford household appliances and their grandparents would have found miraculous, i will choice C

So, in my example, if we remove comma, the sentence becomes Although it was raining we went to the movies, is the new sentence right?

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 10:43
Top Contributor
C) For many people, household labor remains demanding even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
It is true that when the dependent clause is placed before the main clause, then you require a comma to separate them. However, if the dependent clause is placed after the main clause, then we don't use the comma between them.

The actual way you have to parse this sentence is: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if they can afford household appliances (that) their grandparents would have found miraculous. That (in brackets) is elided and understood.

Therefore, you have an introductory phrase (For many people), then the main IC (household labor remains demanding) and then the dependent clause (even if they can afford household appliances (that) their grandparents would have found miraculous). Now you can see why the comma is not used in this sentence.

Although it was raining, we went to the movies: In this sentence, if you do not put the comma, then it will be wrong. Now reverse the DC/IC roles and make the sentence IC/DC, then you do not have to use the comma. -- We went to the movies although it was raining ---

Narendran 98845 44509

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 16:41
daagh wrote:
C) For many people, household labor remains demanding even if they can afford household appliances their grandparents would have found miraculous
It is true that when the dependent clause is placed before the main clause, then you require a comma to separate them. However, if the dependent clause is placed after the main clause, then we don't use the comma between them.

The actual way you have to parse this sentence is: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if they can afford household appliances (that) their grandparents would have found miraculous. That (in brackets) is elided and understood.

Therefore, you have an introductory phrase (For many people), then the main IC (household labor remains demanding) and then the dependent clause (even if they can afford household appliances (that) their grandparents would have found miraculous). Now you can see why the comma is not used in this sentence.

Although it was raining, we went to the movies: In this sentence, if you do not put the comma, then it will be wrong. Now reverse the DC/IC roles and make the sentence IC/DC, then you do not have to use the comma. -- We went to the movies although it was raining ---

Many thanks for your enthusiastic replies daagh ;)

Yeah, now i understand why we do not need a comma :P

The only remaining doubt is whether the function of that in the sentence even if they can afford household appliances (that) their grandparents would have found miraculous is relative pronoun ?

In this sentence, is that a reletive pronoun that funtions as the object of this sentence ?

So, can we elide relative pronoun that in cases it funtions as the object of a sentence?

Retired Moderator
B

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 20 Apr 2017, 18:40
Merged topics. Please, search before posting questions!

Please Read: Verbal Posting Rules

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 32

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2017, 20:53

Re: For many people, household labor remains demanding even if   [#permalink] 21 Jul 2017, 20:53

For many people, household labor remains demanding even if

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap