Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:51 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1649 [0]
Given Kudos: 781
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance & Entreprenuerial Management
Schools:Wharton Class of 2012 w/ fellowship
GPA: 3.4 - Top 5 UG
Send PM
Re: General Management programs [#permalink]
Thanks for your reply river. Another question, do you think leadership development or rotational programs (for us younger folks) are a good stepping stone into GM roles? If I were to complete one successfully, and maybe spend a year or two after the rotations in a fixed position, would this be a good way to transition into a competitive GM role? Or would I be better off trying to do consulting - I know it's early and I have yet to even begin to prepare to market myself to these firms, but I just don't know that I have the background MBB is looking for and it seems like it's only these firms that allow you to springboard into the better GM positions from consulting - am I wrong, do other top firms get placement as well?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Gen. Mgt.
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Send PM
What about PT MBA students at a top school? Do they have a shot at a GM/Rotational program while or after the program is over? Has anybody ever done this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Gen. Mgt.
Schools:Booth, Kellogg, Olin All PT
 Q49  V41
GPA: 3.1
WE 1: Tech/Manufacturing
WE 2: Tech/Finance
Send PM
Thanks riverripper! I saw the employment report broken down by all the different programs. Kind of a shame Booth doesn't publish PT employment stats. There are fewer slots, but it has been, that IS good news. I guess you have to find the right angle!(as with everything).

riverripper wrote:
alijafri80 wrote:
What about PT MBA students at a top school? Do they have a shot at a GM/Rotational program while or after the program is over? Has anybody ever done this?

Some do, it all depends on background. The honest answer is a fair number of people head back to their internship employer, not a huge amount but enough that their are fewer slots available. I dont know about this year but if you look at Kellogg's employment report they break out the PT people.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Posting after a long time..........

Found something interesting about MBA Development Programs. Thought of sharing with the bright minds here. Check this out guys: https://www.mba-exchange.com/Candidates/ ... ograms.php
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurial Management, General Management
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Dear Riverripper,

From what you have gathered is it frowned upon to leave the company after a rotational training program if one is no longer enthralled by that company's culture? Would searching for a job after not accepting a rotational training program be a disadvantage or advantage if properly explained? Thanks river.

riverripper wrote:
cul3s wrote:
So after you're through with the 1 year or 6 months or however long the rotational program is... are you guaranteed a position? or they can just say..."no openings, not the right fit, sorry" ?
and do we know what will our job be? or is it pretty much up in the air depends on how we do in the training time?

There is no guarantee that you will get a job. You have to earn one and people have to want you. That said its probably pretty uncommon for someone to not get an offer. Some will let you exit the program early if you find the right opportunity within the company. When you get hired it would be extremely rare to know what job you will be doing after your rotational program ends. Some people will get several offers within a company they can choose from...

Basically there is a huge variation between programs and what different people get for offers.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Awesome thread!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4800 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Depends on the company...some are very strict about minimum of 5/6 years work experience. I think a lot of that has to do with you showing up and advancing into a management role right away. Personally I am heading to a company where I will start in a management position immediately (a big reason I took it), the other people who were interviewing were for the most part MBA grads from 2-3 years ago. As part of my interview they actually told me I was the least experienced person they were interviewing for the position and asked about my relative lack of experience compared to the competition. Somehow I got the offer so I must have said something right.

I think a rotational program might be a little more flexible but a lot of the off campus and what I found to be more interesting, had higher levels of responsibility, and more lucrative tended to be on the higher experience side. The programs are great, but there is something to be said about being the 1 of 1 or 2 people not 1 of 25 people they bring on in a given "program." I think few GM opportunities would say someone is too old but a lot will say you are too young. There are still enough students at top schools who are 30+ when they graduate and many of them also tend to have backgrounds favored by GM positions...a lot of the younger folks bringing down the median age are former consultants and bankers who are heading back into that field.

RiverRipper, This post gives me hope. I sent you a PM few minutes ago. Iam 33 years old/female/Indian with 12 years of experience in consumer electronics/infotainment industry. Currently I working as a project manger for a company in the midwest but eventually want to get into a executive position. Thats the reason Iam looking at rotational programs. Please respond to my IM when you get a chance. I will grateful for all the advice. Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Wow... Very good info..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
All,

This thread is very helpful. Lots of great info here!!

I intend to pursue Corporate Development/Internal Consulting at a tech/telecom firm post-MBA. A lot of firms in my preferred industry run rotational development programs. However, after reviewing the info on their websites, it seems they will not sponsor H1-B work visas for international students. This rules out most of the US firms. Does this mean that international applicants must look at European and Asian firms for such opportunities? I see that Samsung and BT have such programs, based out of Seoul and London, respectively.

Can the recent alumni recollect any US-based firms which recruited for general management, Corporate Development, Internal Consulting roles and were willing to sponsor work visas for international students? If not, can anybody suggest the names of non-US based firms?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:HBS, Wharton, Yale SOM, Stern, Oxford Said
 Q51  V47
GPA: 7.74
WE 1: Engineering consulting, project management, housing insurance
Send PM
This thread has made for some very informative reading. Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

I'd be very interested to know about the sponsorship aspects for internationals as well.

There has been a lot of talk on this thread about quantity of prior work experience. However, are there any requirements for the 'quality' of work experience as well? Are companies with GM rotational programs looking for candidates with a minimum of 3-5 years of prior works exp AND a history of managing medium/large teams?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
rohitsingh01 wrote:
This thread has made for some very informative reading. Thanks a lot for the inputs guys.

I'd be very interested to know about the sponsorship aspects for internationals as well.

There has been a lot of talk on this thread about quantity of prior work experience. However, are there any requirements for the 'quality' of work experience as well? Are companies with GM rotational programs looking for candidates with a minimum of 3-5 years of prior works exp AND a history of managing medium/large teams?

Consulting and investment banking firms (finance in general maybe) will arrange for work authorization for international applicants. Other firms may not be willing to do that. Check out the conditions for employment of a few firms you are interested in and you will know whether it applies to them too.

For rotational programs, requirements vary from firm to firm and this applies to both the number of years of work experience and the type of work experience (both in terms of industry and function). It is difficult to generalize. However, having prior experience in an industry may give you an advantage over those who do not have such experience. Having said that, it is difficult to put a lid on these things simply because its all over the place and these things vary from one firm to another and from one year to another.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
this has been an awesome read, thanks for the info!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts