Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
WE:Information Technology (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: GMAT score 700 IR score 1 [#permalink]
Kudos
Thanks Shoebunny for the reply.

I did ask UGA how much they weigh IR scores. THey replied that a low IR score can be offset by a strong 3 digit GMAT score and other aspects of a profile.
So I am a little relieved there. :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT score 700 IR score 1 [#permalink]
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sachin071989 wrote:
Hi,

As the subject says My GMAT scaled score is 700 (Q48V38). But my IR score is an embarrassing 1.

I would like to know how that affects my over all chances of selection at a B School? Should I retake the GMAT just to improve my IR score?

My target school are mostly the 40th-50th ranked US b schools. Terry UGA is my first choice.

Appreciate any comments on this.

Thanks!!
Sachin

Dude,
For schools ranked 40-50 you don't have to worry at all.

But one question: With a 700 why aint you aiming higher?

Jon

Thanks Jon for the reply.

The reason why I am not trying a school ranked higher, tier 2 per se, is because the chances of a scholarship for an Indian student (avg gmat score is higher for Indian students as you would know) is very low. But I know people from India, with a smililar profile as mine, who got scholarship to Purdue, Terry, Tippie with 700, some even lower.
And cost of attending the school is the top on my filters for a US b school.

So thats my reasoning. 8-)

Originally posted by Sachin071989 on 27 Mar 2015, 01:54.
Last edited by Sachin071989 on 27 Mar 2015, 09:16, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GPA: 3.75
WE:Account Management (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
Sachin071989 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sachin071989 wrote:
Hi,

As the subject says My GMAT scaled score is 700 (Q48V38). But my IR score is an embarrassing 1.

I would like to know how that affects my over all chances of selection at a B School? Should I retake the GMAT just to improve my IR score?

My target school are mostly the 40th-50th ranked US b schools. Terry UGA is my first choice.

Thanks!!
Sachin

Dude,

Jon

The reason why I am not trying a school ranked higher, tier 2 per say, is because the chances of a scholarship for an Indian student (avg gmat score is higher for Indian students as you would know) is very low. But I know people from India, with a smililar profile as mine, who got scholarship to Purdue, Terry, Tippie with 700, some even lower.

A very real reason, but, it wouldn't hurt to at least apply. Especially if you have no commitments to any region or location in particular. Your only loss would then be the application fees.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I agree - a scholarship can be great but if you can get into a higher ranked school, that can be worth considering too! If you don't try, you'll never know. I agree with the others - at least try and then, once all the cards are on the table, then figure it out.

(As for the IR score - make sure you get ahead of it - showcase it in other parts of your application. Talk about how you use those skills in your day to day job, etc. Don't just assume the 700 will cover it. Be proactive!)

Bhavik
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sachin071989 wrote:
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Sachin071989 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!!
Sachin

Dude,

Jon

The reason why I am not trying a school ranked higher, tier 2 per se, is because the chances of a scholarship for an Indian student (avg gmat score is higher for Indian students as you would know) is very low. But I know people from India, with a smililar profile as mine, who got scholarship to Purdue, Terry, Tippie with 700, some even lower.

And you may find that when you add up the increased salary, better opportunities, higher hire rates, and bigger bonuses that you would get from attending a far higher ranked school, that the tuition difference is.... how shall we say... peanuts.

So I totally agree with Shoebunny, that you should at least have 2-3 higher ranked schools you can still get into. You don't know how you good a school you can get into nor what sort of offer you might get from them till you try. And usually, imho, it's worth your while to go to a significantly higher school (not in every case maybe, but at least you have to have concrete admit results to compare)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes I agree. I will definitely try for at least a few tier two colleges.
Funding the higher fees is obviously a major concern but that only comes after the admit part.
So lets see how that goes. :-D
Thanks again!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Sachin071989 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!!
Sachin

Hi Sachin,

If this is your first attempt of GMAT then you can definitely give it another shot and try and improve on the same. Moreover, the option of cancellation is available so you have nothing to lose. The schools irrespective of their ranking focus on each and every segment of GMAT, so keeping that in mind I'd recommend that you retake it.

All the best.
www.manyagroup.com
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sachin071989 wrote:
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Yes I agree. I will definitely try for at least a few tier two colleges.
Funding the higher fees is obviously a major concern but that only comes after the admit part.
So lets see how that goes. :-D
Thanks again!!

oh yeeeah....

Good luck, dude.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot