Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Given Kudos: 432
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [1]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [0]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: GMAT Score not moving up [#permalink]
well did you try error log? without seeing any sort of stats it is hard to suggest specific areas. If you are making silly mistakes then you should try to fix them be it timing issues, falling in trap questions etc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 665 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
I have tried the error log but not very carefully
I have worked the OG12 twice but still comit the same mistakes
I did take a week off
now I have less than 45 days
I work a min of 4-5 hours a day
I have been praticing Math topic wise
my CR is terrible I am not able to form assumptions on tough questions
I do not practice RC regularly

I do practice ... but no use i still commit the same mistaes
when I work OG offline like without timing I do very well
I do not know what happens when I start writing these tests

I did a repeat only on the GMAt math section once I got a 46 and today i got a 22 I dont undertsnad and I though I was doing very well

please tell me how to go about
I work and study
so ...
PLease tell me how should I work effectively now
please I really need help I have tried all strategies
I am wworking the Manhaatn method now
going by Number properties and then geometry etc...anf following OG 12 at the same time

I do appreciate all the help provided

Thankyou very much
I should have done this earlier may be

PLease help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 154 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
i am also getting stuck up with this 600 mark...

In quant every time score 45+ but Verbal not even 30...

regarding quant i am not that concerned because i haven't started the preparation yet :)

But i am worried about my verbal, in one test i scored CR with 75%+ accuracy and in another 45%, same is with SC & RC, no pattern

My test date is 10th Aug...help guys
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1123 [0]
Hi, smartmundu.

August 10th, eh? That doesn't leave with much time. Which guides have you studied for verbal? Have you practiced with OG 12th Edition and OG Verbal?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bmillan01 wrote:
Hi, smartmundu.

August 10th, eh? That doesn't leave with much time. Which guides have you studied for verbal? Have you practiced with OG 12th Edition and OG Verbal?

Manhattan SC & Powerscore CR

I did OG11 & OG Verbal...My RC & CR accuracy is around 75% and SC around 50%...when i started but now SC has improved to 70%

but when i sit for exam i didn't perform well..main problem happends with last 10 question where i am not able to concentrate
SVP
SVP
You percentages are solid for verbal. It seems that you understand the concepts involved. But, since you have difficulty in the last part of your practice test sessions, then there are a few issues to discuss.

Problem #1: Endurance
Perhaps you are running out of energy in the last part of the test. It's difficult to maintain concentration for multiple hours. For non-native level English speakers, the verbal section is quite a challenge, since it's a foreign language and comes after the AWA and quant portions. You already expend a great deal of effort on those sections.

One way to deal with this is to take advantage of the allowed breaks. During this time, get out of the chair, stretch, take deep breaths, eat something, and go to the bathroom. In other words, loosen up! Also, I always made it a habit to look away from the screen and take a deep breath every time I moved on to the next question. This will reduce eye and neck strain, as well as provide your brain with oxygen.

When practicing, you need to mimic actual test conditions as much as possible. Don't do OG questions lying down on the bed or on a nice, comfy chair with the TV on. Use scratch paper (or Manhattan's Test Simulation Booklet) and sit in a computer chair. You can even position the OG book vertically as if it were on the computer screen. You need to be completely comfortable, relaxed, and used to these conditions to stay focused during the real test.

And do your best to stay consistent. You can't effectively make up the time lost on a question by going too fast on others. There's nothing wrong with finishing a question quickly if you can, but if a question is simply taking too long, then you need to guess and move on.

Problem #2: Timing
Simply put, if you can't answer the questions in time, then your GMAT score will suffer. Once you have the concepts under control, you must time yourself and mimic test conditions. If a question takes longer than two minutes (or 2.5 minutes for very hard ones), then you must repeat the problem later. And make sure that there are no distractions or background noise while you practice.

Problem #3: Panic and Frustration
The last thing that you want to do is panic, because at that point you will not be able to do what you want to: perform well on the test. If you address the previous two issues, this will minimize the chance of panicking, but some people are just prone to do so. Just remember that you are indeed in control. If a question seems insurmountable even after some effort, move on. If you need to take a few seconds to gather your thoughts, then do so. The GMAT doesn't just test you on essays, quant, and verbal. It also tests your ability to perform under pressure. It's just another problem that you need to solve, except that you already have the answer to it. :wink:

Based on your response, I can't answer specifically. But I think that the suggestions above should help at least partially. We're only talking ten more questions here. If you can do the AWA, all of the quant, and all but the last ten questions on verbal, then you're very close to the end.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks a lot...

Now i am planning to have timed OG sets, which will help me cope up.

Also now i will make habit to sit atleast for 2 hours with 1 break even during normal studying

I hope i this will help

bmillan01 wrote:
You percentages are solid for verbal. It seems that you understand the concepts involved. But, since you have difficulty in the last part of your practice test sessions, then there are a few issues to discuss.

Problem #1: Endurance
Perhaps you are running out of energy in the last part of the test. It's difficult to maintain concentration for multiple hours. For non-native level English speakers, the verbal section is quite a challenge, since it's a foreign language and comes after the AWA and quant portions. You already expend a great deal of effort on those sections.

One way to deal with this is to take advantage of the allowed breaks. During this time, get out of the chair, stretch, take deep breaths, eat something, and go to the bathroom. In other words, loosen up! Also, I always made it a habit to look away from the screen and take a deep breath every time I moved on to the next question. This will reduce eye and neck strain, as well as provide your brain with oxygen.

When practicing, you need to mimic actual test conditions as much as possible. Don't do OG questions lying down on the bed or on a nice, comfy chair with the TV on. Use scratch paper (or Manhattan's Test Simulation Booklet) and sit in a computer chair. You can even position the OG book vertically as if it were on the computer screen. You need to be completely comfortable, relaxed, and used to these conditions to stay focused during the real test.

And do your best to stay consistent. You can't effectively make up the time lost on a question by going too fast on others. There's nothing wrong with finishing a question quickly if you can, but if a question is simply taking too long, then you need to guess and move on.

Problem #2: Timing
Simply put, if you can't answer the questions in time, then your GMAT score will suffer. Once you have the concepts under control, you must time yourself and mimic test conditions. If a question takes longer than two minutes (or 2.5 minutes for very hard ones), then you must repeat the problem later. And make sure that there are no distractions or background noise while you practice.

Problem #3: Panic and Frustration
The last thing that you want to do is panic, because at that point you will not be able to do what you want to: perform well on the test. If you address the previous two issues, this will minimize the chance of panicking, but some people are just prone to do so. Just remember that you are indeed in control. If a question seems insurmountable even after some effort, move on. If you need to take a few seconds to gather your thoughts, then do so. The GMAT doesn't just test you on essays, quant, and verbal. It also tests your ability to perform under pressure. It's just another problem that you need to solve, except that you already have the answer to it. :wink:

Based on your response, I can't answer specifically. But I think that the suggestions above should help at least partially. We're only talking ten more questions here. If you can do the AWA, all of the quant, and all but the last ten questions on verbal, then you're very close to the end.
SVP
SVP
That's good to know! As I mentioned, you understand the concepts involved and can execute, but you just need a few minor alterations to extend your energy for a few more questions.

And don't forget to splash cold water on your face during each break. :wink:
GMAT Club Bot