Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 13:19
I have been trying to gauge whether I could be fit for Haas' revamped Executive MBA.

I have 12 years of engineering experience and have responsibility for quality performance of ~10+ suppliers for a major Aerospace company, among other project engineering (lead quality auditor) assignments for other clients for my supply chain services company.

If you are applying to Haas EMBA as well please post and your profile.

Last edited by scott2013 on 24 Mar 2013, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 131 [0], given: 78

Premium Member
Re: Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 17:56
I went to an event at Haas last month and they're really trying to ramp up their executive MBA program. They would LOVE a call from you, actually. From what I can tell, the Director of this program is super friendly and enthusiastic about helping prospectives through the application process. I'd say reach out and have a candid conversation with her.

I'm not applying to the EMBA but they did say they are more flexible with stats and care more about work experience.

Blogging about the MBA application process. Because I need to do something with all this bschool energy.
http://www.mybreakaway.com/ Recent post: September 20, "Transitions"

Yale School of Management MBA Candidate, 2015.

Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA Society of San Francisco (Affiliate Member), American Society for Quality (Enterprise Member)
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 630 Q39 V38
GMAT 2: 650 Q39 V40
WE: Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 20:41
machichi wrote:
I went to an event at Haas last month and they're really trying to ramp up their executive MBA program. They would LOVE a call from you, actually. From what I can tell, the Director of this program is super friendly and enthusiastic about helping prospectives through the application process. I'd say reach out and have a candid conversation with her.

I'm not applying to the EMBA but they did say they are more flexible with stats and care more about work experience.

machichi,

Thank you for encouraging me to call the office. I will take you up on your advice. Additionally I plan to attend an upcoming info session in Santa Clara.

Do you have any thoughts on ways I can show Quant proficiency aside of a high GMAT?

Scott
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 112 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:32
You do have a shot but your room for error is zero as you used up all your goodwill on your undergraduate GPA and GMAT score.

However, your graduate GPA is your saving grace here as it shows that you do have the academic ability to handle the demands of a challenging graduate school. If your graduate GPA was lower, I would advise you to apply elsewhere, but since it is so high -- go for it.

They will expect every other aspect of your application to be top notch - this includes your essays, interview, recommendations, resume, etc. Also, there more support you get from your current employer in terms of support (money, time off, accommodation) the better argument you can make that you are a competitive candidate. I would also go to their information sessions and try to meet with as many admissions/administration people, alumni and current students as possible and try to build a network at the school.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admission Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 5

Re: Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 11:34
It's possible but it's going to be tough. A 630 is definitely on the low end and unfortunately your low quant is on the low side - your verbal is actually pretty good. As Haas is fairly quant focused, you'll definitely have to highlight your A's in Calculus and Statistics within the application. The executive program will also focus heavily on leadership with less focus on undergrad GPA. Hopefully you've had quite a few leadership roles or opportunities that you can speak to - if you're leading a team or providing work direction today, even better.

Good luck, Haas has a great program.
Re: Haas' Executive MBA, do I have a shot? Post your profiles   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 11:34