Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:10 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.6
WE:Analyst (Retail)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Haas (UC Berkeley) EWMBA 2013 - Waitlist [#permalink]
MoEWMBA16 wrote:
I'm not even on the w'list! so I probably shouldn't be here :p.. but anyhow.. we have a lot of ppl from either Computer science or engineering, I thought Hass looks for diversity, I haven’t seen anybody from a design background (besides me), some unheard life story like mine, great achievements at work for the past six years, great rec letter, pretty good GPA, but low Gmat.. so what they look at is your GMAT score! That’s sucks!! There is so much more :(

The GMAT score is basically a hurdle they make you get over. Right or wrong, schools are ranked heavily based on the average GMAT score. If you got a low score, I'd recommend you retake it if possible. It's definitely possible to get in with a low score, but everything else in your profile should be compelling.

They do look for a diverse class, but if you're coming from a non-traditional background, you need to show a logical progression for your path to business school and a reason why you need an MBA now. For what it's worth, my wife went to undergrad for design and is also going to be going to business school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
MoEWMBA16 wrote:
I'm not even on the w'list! so I probably shouldn't be here :p.. but anyhow.. we have a lot of ppl from either Computer science or engineering, I thought Hass looks for diversity, I haven’t seen anybody from a design background (besides me), some unheard life story like mine, great achievements at work for the past six years, great rec letter, pretty good GPA, but low Gmat.. so what they look at is your GMAT score! That’s sucks!! There is so much more :(

Tell me about it :roll:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
MoEWMBA16 wrote:

The GMAT score is basically a hurdle they make you get over. Right or wrong, schools are ranked heavily based on the average GMAT score. If you got a low score, I'd recommend you retake it if possible. It's definitely possible to get in with a low score, but everything else in your profile should be compelling.

They do look for a diverse class, but if you're coming from a non-traditional background, you need to show a logical progression for your path to business school and a reason why you need an MBA now. For what it's worth, my wife went to undergrad for design and is also going to be going to business school.

Yeah and it makes sense, I did my undergard in Design, but been in Finance for the past six years… too late to re-take the GMAT…I better study for it harder and apply again next year, will have more work experience by then too…

Originally posted by MoEWMBA16 on 26 Mar 2013, 10:56.
Last edited by MoEWMBA16 on 26 Mar 2013, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
calculas wrote:
MoEWMBA16 wrote:

Tell me about it :roll:

at least you are on the w'list! ..sigh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MoEWMBA16 wrote:
Yeah and it makes sense, I did my undergard in Design, but been in Finance in the past six years… too late to re-take the GMAT…I better study for it harder and apply again next year, will have more work experience by then too…

What did you end up scoring on the GMAT?

If you have 6 years in Finance, they'd consider you with the rest of the Finance applicants anyways though.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
MoEWMBA16 wrote:
Yeah and it makes sense, I did my undergard in Design, but been in Finance in the past six years… too late to re-take the GMAT…I better study for it harder and apply again next year, will have more work experience by then too…

What did you end up scoring on the GMAT?

If you have 6 years in Finance, they'd consider you with the rest of the Finance applicants anyways though.

It’s really bad comparing to all the 750’s here! I got a 640 :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MoEWMBA16 wrote:

Honestly, you'd probably have a better shot at UCLA. Their avg gmat is a bit lower and from what I can tell they place less emphasis on it. It's definitely possible to get in to Haas with a 640, but like I've said before, much less possible if you have any other weaknesses on your profile.

The other thing to keep in mind is the spread, I was talking to some adcom people from UCLA back in november and they mentioned that they place more emphasis on the math score for people from quant heavy occupations like Finance because if it's low they figured you just didn't try on the test.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
MoEWMBA16 wrote:

Honestly, you'd probably have a better shot at UCLA. Their avg gmat is a bit lower and from what I can tell they place less emphasis on it. It's definitely possible to get in to Haas with a 640, but like I've said before, much less possible if you have any other weaknesses on your profile.

The other thing to keep in mind is the spread, I was talking to some adcom people from UCLA back in november and they mentioned that they place more emphasis on the math score for people from quant heavy occupations like Finance because if it's low they figured you just didn't try on the test.

My heart is at Haas!! That’s why I didn’t apply for any other programs.. If I don’t hear anything tomorrow, I will apply again next year for Hass and definitely other schools, I’m willing to give it another chance! (I just love the program, the professors, the whole atmosphere, and the fact that it’s five minutes from my house!)
I should’ve done better on the GMAT, oh well, too late now, shoulda’ woulda’ coulda'
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
MoEWMBA16 wrote:
My heart is at Haas!! That’s why I didn’t apply for any other programs.. If I don’t hear anything tomorrow, I will apply again next year for Hass and definitely other schools, I’m willing to give it another chance! (I just love the program, the professors, the whole atmosphere, and the fact that it’s five minutes from my house!)
I should’ve done better on the GMAT, oh well, too late now, shoulda’ woulda’ coulda'

Nothing wrong with that. If you're willing to wait, you'll have a better shot next year. Haas seems to love re-applicants and as long as you can get your GMAT score up, you shouldn't have a huge problem.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
MoEWMBA16 wrote:

Looking at the profiles of "admitted" candidates up to this point you'll probably see the opposite, less engineers. It's well understood that most of us here, waitlisted in agony, are engineers.

honestly, from that cursory overview of your profile, it appears you would be a strong candidate unless your gmat is particularly low. I'm sure you can get your GMAT to their average and then re-apply, but consider that Haas rejects people with 760s, 750s, 740s routinely -- just look at the threads from previous years. My point is don't miss the forest for the trees because what if it's something ELSE in your profile that you can easily address? fixing your essay, adding an optional essay, etc.

You could fixate on the GMAT, like I did months ago, thinking it would be the end all to B-school admissions, and still end up on the waitlist at your dream-school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Any calls?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
someone79 wrote:
Any calls?

Chances are there won't be any until 2-3pm today, if they call today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
packet82 wrote:
someone79 wrote:
Any calls?

Chances are there won't be any until 2-3pm today, if they call today.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Send PM
I am aware that R2 applicants are already getting calls. Any Waitlisted candidates got "the" call yet?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
nope.. nothing yet... i hope its not the end my mba dreams for this year...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
speedingdaemon wrote:
nope.. nothing yet... i hope its not the end my mba dreams for this year...

It's only noon. As far as we can tell, they haven't started calling waitlist admits yet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
i hope they admit off the waitlist too... this is getting very close... i think they have started with calling out of bay area folks first...
one more day of no work at the office...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts