Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 0

Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 06:25
This post received
KUDOS
Hello,
Took GMAT in feb this year. I received a 600 after 2 weeks prep. Went through Kaplan books very briefly , Princeton Review quite well. Did all the OG 11 questions untimed . 2 tests of Kaplan and 2 Gmat prep tests, neither of which I could finish in the time allotted.

The Real test was bad, I could not finish the quant section , just ticked last 3 answers randomly. I was soo exhausted half way through verbal, and knew I was well behind on time. Had about 11 minutes left and 18 questions remaining. Weakest section was RC ,(reading speed is pathetic), and so I just randomly was ticking answers. When I realized that the test score was going to be miserable, I almost gave up and just tried to answer as many as possible. Left almost 10 questions (randomly ticked answers to avoid being penalized)

Just about a month ago , decided that I should take the GMAT again, this time really study correctly. I enrolled myself in Manhattan GMAT 9 session course. I have practiced quite a few OG 12 questions, timing myself and forcing myself to pick an answer in the alloted time. I am doing very well in class, in fact I know the content cold. I can answer most of the questions they ask on their powerpoint presentations even 700+ level questions.

Now I have reached the point that I can do most questions under the alloted time with a high accuracy. However, I do not know why I am so fearful of taking practice tests.. I decided to take a GMAT PREP test 2 days ago, and I got a miserable 530.(funny cause its lower than my previous exam, and now I have studied the content much better) Again, I am convinced that its not as if the content is the problem, but I just get lost in the exam setting. 5 questions into verbal, and I lost motivation. Felt like I just wanted to stop the time.

I feel like I have ADD or something. After a point all words start looking same to me, and I find myself staring blankly at a RC passage, or a even CR / SC.. The same questions which I know if I would have done one by one while practicing, I would have nailed them. Why is it happening to me that I cant sit through an exam ? I ended up ticking random answers to probably 18 questions out 41 and I was so behind on time

What should I do? I am so ashamed of telling my instructor my score, because he would be confused too, I am probably one of his top students , (you guys must be laughing at this statement seeing my score) - but the truth is that. Instructor at MGMAT class often asks me to explain answer solutions to other students as well. Has this happened to anyone, and can some please help me.

Should I practice reading 1000 pages of fiction books to increase speed ? Should I read LSAT RC. Should I go take a prescription of Adderall (ADD medication) , I dont know. I had scheduled my exam for 23 september, but am definitely postponing it. I know I can definitely get a 700 atleast. How long should I study from now? I feel like im done with all the content, but have given only one practice test.
Please help.

Thanks

Last edited by tradinggenius on 14 Sep 2010, 07:27, edited 1 time in total.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 06:48
wow.... please add bullet points so we can help out better.... or add paragraphs.

btw, u need lot more test practice.so postponing is a good idea.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:24
Yup sorry, just fixed it. Hope it helps.
Retired Moderator
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 478 [0], given: 157

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 07:39
Did you post the same thread in another forum too?? If so, do delete the other thread.

Well, GMAT is all about you & your will. If you think you cant do it, then better leave it, but if you think you can pass this phase then dont bring any fake ideas in your mind. Every student or majority of students go through the same phase when they see RC initially. Its practice, focus & a clear strategy that then make things easy.

I think you need to focus & be more clear about your objectives. GMAT is not a 7th grade class where one has to study by force. Its a passion driven by commitment. So challange yourself that you can & I hope you will!! :)

Best of luck & keep us posted.

[ From 470 to 680-My Story ] [ My Last Month Before Test ]
[ GMAT Prep Analysis Tool ] [ US. Business School Dashboard ] [ Int. Business School Dashboard ]

I Can, I Will

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 10:21
Seems like you need to take more CATs and get that endurance up.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Intern
Intern
Schools: Kellogg, Ross, MIT

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 13

Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 16:01
Hi bro, no it is not ADD, you just live in the modern world, and you normally don't have to do one thing for three hours.

I bombed my first series of timed practice tests because I was mentally tired/bored. Esp. finishing with the verbal, I had been great at verbal my whole life and w/ practice GMAT qs but my mind was just lazy, esp. for something I saw as relatively easy.

Stop doing practice questions untimed, only do practice tests or sets of questions that replicate the test in timing. In my final phase of studying I was writing an essay, doing math qs, then doing verbal qs in EACH study session, even though I really only needed the math practice. Then I would revisit the qs I got wrong of course but it was just to build up the mental toughness and get used to the flow. Bumped my score at least 100 points.

If you practice, your mind will change.

"It never hurts to help!"

Ms. Big Fat Panda
Ms. Big Fat Panda
Followers: 337

Kudos [?]: 1376 [0], given: 194

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 14 Sep 2010, 17:10
I don't think it's as much of a problem with ADD as it is with lack of willpower. I am not saying you don't have will power, just that you're not committed enough. Sometimes mental fatigue takes over, and it's absolutely normal. I think you just need to do more questions in a timed fashion and improve your accuracy. Postponing the test is a good idea.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: USC (Marshall) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.26
WE: Brand Management (Consumer Products)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 5

Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 15:56
This post received
KUDOS
I'm not sure what else to add other than maybe some positive thinking and caffeine. Or if you really have ADD, skip the caffeine.

Whenever I sit down on one of the CAT's, I think about all the work I've put in and all the wrong questions I've struggled through to understand, and just want to kick ass on every single problem that I face.

Discipline + Hard Work = Success! 770 (Q50, V46)

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 29

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2010, 16:10
NewSc2 wrote:
I'm not sure what else to add other than maybe some positive thinking and caffeine. Or if you really have ADD, skip the caffeine.

Whenever I sit down on one of the CAT's, I think about all the work I've put in and all the wrong questions I've struggled through to understand, and just want to kick ass on every single problem that I face.

thats a pretty good strategy...kick gmat's ass!...
Director
Director
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 46

GMAT Tests User
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 20:17
Try adderall or Redline energy drink/pills.

It's a dawg eat dawg world.

Current Student
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE: Programming (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 200 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD? [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2010, 20:20
i am still the unofficial spokesman for 5 hour energy! drink it! love it!

If you like my answers please +1 kudos!

Re: Help getting through 3 hours of Exam. Is it ADD?   [#permalink] 16 Sep 2010, 20:20