Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 08:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 08:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q41  V38
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 2.0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [1]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72892 [1]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: How do I increase SC accuracy? Help! [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Max Pain. Welcome to GMAT Club.

You are doing very good, just make sure you time yourself when you practice.
Also, the best way to evaluate yourself is to take a GMAT Prep or a CAT test - much better indicator than batches of questions.

maxpain wrote:
Hi All,

I went through the Kaplan material for SC strategies a month back and attempted those strategies on OG 11th edition. My accuracy was in the range of 60% to 65%.

Panic Round 1 set in.

Post that, I read the Manhattan SC Guide, a gem of a book. Attempted the OG 12th edition and OG Verbal Review. My accuracy is now in the range of 80% - 85%.

Panic Round 2 has set in!! My GMAT is scheduled for 11th May.

I have always gone back and checked the explanations for the questions that I made mistakes in and have revised the corresponding topics. What baffles me is that my mistakes are all over the place. My mistakes cannot be clustered to a topic.

I check my accuracies against sets of 20 questions. Is that the right way to do it?

How do I up my game from here on. Do I go through Manhattan again or do I get more practice? 1000SC perhaps? I have exhausted the OG material.

Please advise!!! Anybody!

Thanks,
maxpain - now in extreme pain
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
 Q41  V38
Send PM
Kudos
shaselai wrote:
you have to use error log to see what type of SC your are getting wrong. If they are truly "everywhere" then make sure you understand the rule being tested. Many questions has more than 1 error/rule so check up on that too. Are you consistently getting 80%- 85% now?

Thanks for your time shaselai, I have been consistently getting 80% - 85%. I have been tracking it for more than 250 questions now, but I measure it against sets of 20. Is that ok?
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V38
Send PM
mohater wrote:
Don't take this the wrong way but...

80%-85% accuracy on SC is pretty damn good.

This means for every 10 questions, you miss, at most, two.

Most people who struggle with SC have a strike rate of 30% or 40%.

You simply need to identify WHY you are getting the remaining 15%-20% incorrect and move on (as noted in the post above)

You could check the strategy thread (link in my sig). If you've read the MGMAT SC book, you likely know this strategy. Take a look and see if it helps.

You're doing great. Calm down.

Thanks mohater!! :)

I have attempted more than 250 questions now. I religiously go back and internalize the topics that I make mistakes in. But, even after, I am unable to breach that 85% accuracy and move up!

Is it concentration? Stamina? (I solve about 3-4 sets of 20 questions in one sitting)
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V38
Send PM
bb wrote:
Hi Max Pain. Welcome to GMAT Club.

You are doing very good, just make sure you time yourself when you practice.
Also, the best way to evaluate yourself is to take a GMAT Prep or a CAT test - much better indicator than batches of questions.

maxpain wrote:
Hi All,

I went through the Kaplan material for SC strategies a month back and attempted those strategies on OG 11th edition. My accuracy was in the range of 60% to 65%.

Panic Round 1 set in.

Post that, I read the Manhattan SC Guide, a gem of a book. Attempted the OG 12th edition and OG Verbal Review. My accuracy is now in the range of 80% - 85%.

Panic Round 2 has set in!! My GMAT is scheduled for 11th May.

I have always gone back and checked the explanations for the questions that I made mistakes in and have revised the corresponding topics. What baffles me is that my mistakes are all over the place. My mistakes cannot be clustered to a topic.

I check my accuracies against sets of 20 questions. Is that the right way to do it?

How do I up my game from here on. Do I go through Manhattan again or do I get more practice? 1000SC perhaps? I have exhausted the OG material.

Please advise!!! Anybody!

Thanks,
maxpain - now in extreme pain

Thanks bb. Points well taken. I'm due to take a CAT this weekend, will update this post with my scores :)

maxpain
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 427 [1]
Given Kudos: 52
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Schools: UNC (Kenan-Flagler) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
maxpain wrote:
shaselai wrote:
you have to use error log to see what type of SC your are getting wrong. If they are truly "everywhere" then make sure you understand the rule being tested. Many questions has more than 1 error/rule so check up on that too. Are you consistently getting 80%- 85% now?

Thanks for your time shaselai, I have been consistently getting 80% - 85%. I have been tracking it for more than 250 questions now, but I measure it against sets of 20. Is that ok?

Do you see a trend on your wrong answers when you compare all of them from the sets of 20s? Do they share a common theme - were you "guessing" on them or overly confident? Perhaps use a timer when taking the test. But like BB said you should check it out on a real test since the difficulty varies than the "static" difficulty on question sets. you might also find perhaps more pressing topics to improve upon. If SC is the only part you need to improve upon then you are very well off.
Intern
Intern
 Q41  V38
Send PM
shaselai wrote:
maxpain wrote:
shaselai wrote:

Do you see a trend on your wrong answers when you compare all of them from the sets of 20s? Do they share a common theme - were you "guessing" on them or overly confident? Perhaps use a timer when taking the test. But like BB said you should check it out on a real test since the difficulty varies than the "static" difficulty on question sets. you might also find perhaps more pressing topics to improve upon. If SC is the only part you need to improve upon then you are very well off.

That's interesting shaselai! I will analyze the wrong ones the way you have mentioned and post my finding here in a while.

Thanks so much for pitching in guys! Really appreciated! :)

maxpain - now in a little less pain
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
how is you accuracy so far? did it increase and if it did what did you do to increase? am really desperate to find anything that can help conquer this section
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 736 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
this is for bb, what was your accuracy rate?
I heard Tommy says when it your accuracy reaches 80% and above it's time to move on.
GMAT Club Bot