Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 02:54 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 02:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 710 Q42 V45
GPA: 3.57
WE:Consulting (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [6]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Re: How much do you REALLY spend in business school? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
brandon432 wrote:
mgh234 wrote:
So in general, an average student probably spends about $25k it seems, way higher than the $15k estimate schools like ross give.

I'm not sure I follow you. The numbers I gave are guidelines for Chicago or LA. Ann Arbor is a significantly cheaper place to live. Had I gone to Ross, I would have paid around $800 for my half of a huge, updated 2BD/2BA in a full-amenity complex. $5-10k cheaper for AA doesn't sound unreasonable, and I think the COA numbers reflect that. On the other hand, I would expect living expenses in NYC (Stern, CBS) or the Bay Area (Haas, Stanford) to be somewhat higher.

Posted from my mobile device

Jumping back into this conversation, despite Brandon not feeling my earlier comments were all that helpful. It's actually pretty amazing that there aren't greater resources to answer this question (e.g. why don't b-schools ask 20 students per year to anonymize their Quicken/Credit-Card data and publish it?)

I think Brandon's suggestion of having real conversations with real students when you are on campus is probably his most helpful point of feedback.

The reality is that you can get by on very low budgets (and make tradeoffs in the short-run) or you can spend more heavily and just have a greater debt load when you are done.

In the grand scheme of things -- what's an extra $15-20K for 20 months of b-school, right?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
What a good figure per year for Rent/Food/entertainment/transportation, $30k? It'll vary by location, but lets say for Duke/LA/Kellogg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:
What a good figure per year for Rent/Food/entertainment/transportation, $30k? It'll vary by location, but lets say for Duke/LA/Kellogg.

Food, entertainment, and transportation vary quite a bit with your eating habits (out vs. groceries), mode of transit (car vs. public), as well as the level of and preference for certain types of social activity. In very board terms, monthly costs might be:

Food: $500 (almost all groceries/not ramen) - $1,000 (dining out every meal, with a few nice ones)
Entertainment: $100 (board games and movies) - $1,000 (bars several nights/week)
Transportation: $100 (walk to campus and transit for other stuff) - $600+ (car payment, insurance, on-campus parking, tickets, moderate cab use)

As far as rent goes, I can't really speak to Duke, as I haven't lived anywhere near Durham. I imagine it's at least somewhat cheaper than LA or Chicago though. The numbers for the other 3 are fairly similar and based on my having lived in LA and Chicago as well as doing some apartment-hunting in Evanston.

Studio/1BD (private) - $1,250-$2,000/mo utilities included
2BD/3BD (split w/ private bedrooms) - $750-$1,500/person/mo, utilities included

These ranges span from low-quality (white plywood cabinets, all-carpet, long walk to campus, no amenities) to very nice (hardwood, stainless, granite, near campus, pool, fitness, doorman) but not necessarily ultra-luxurious options.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
A quick addition: when you visit campus, be sure to ask current students whatever questions you have. This has been my best resource for almost every topic imaginable.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
Send PM
So in general, an average student probably spends about $25k it seems, way higher than the $15k estimate schools like ross give.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
If we put on the side your expenses for school as books, laptop etc it will depend on the location of the school and the lifestyle you want to continue. For many it might be really hard to go back to the student lifestyle :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mgh234 wrote:

I'm not sure I follow you. The numbers I gave are guidelines for Chicago or LA. Ann Arbor is a significantly cheaper place to live. Had I gone to Ross, I would have paid around $800 for my half of a huge, updated 2BD/2BA in a full-amenity complex. $5-10k cheaper for AA doesn't sound unreasonable, and I think the COA numbers reflect that. On the other hand, I would expect living expenses in NYC (Stern, CBS) or the Bay Area (Haas, Stanford) to be somewhat higher.

Posted from my mobile device
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
I think it all depends on the person and what they like to do with their free time. Sure, you can attend every event, join every club and make every trip. It will probably cost you lots and lots of money, but you can do it. What I recommend is really figure out what you have first, then with that money, prioritize what is important to you. If something isn't that important and you don't have the money, just say no. Don't let the fear of missing out (FOMO) rule your wallet. If you do, you'll end up in even worse debt!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
BinyaBinyaPollywog wrote:
Hi everyone!

Every MBA program has a calculated "total cost of attendance", which typically includes tuition, room/board, a new computer (sometimes), personal expenses, health care, etc.

But there are a lot of extra activities and expenses that are not calculated into the total cost of attendance... things like social activities, networking/job search trips, etc.

My question: how much did you actually spend / intend to save for these extra expenses? This Anderson blog post - https://mbablogs.anderson.ucla.edu/mba_students/ - recommends $10,000 over the two years. What do you think? Too much, not enough, or just right?

Hi BinyaBinya,

The answer to your question of how much to budget for business school is different for ever applicant, and likely is determined by how much of your MBA experience you want to weight towards social life/networking and & traveling.

What makes the MBA living experiences steeper than most grad schools is that many MBAs decide to take "treks" during their breaks and "network" socially and professionally over drinks and food. (Notice I put generous quotation marks around "networking" - some of this is just glorified partying. Only you can decide if the "networking" you are in which you are "investing" serves real professional purpose).

Most top-tier MBAs do travel with fellow classmates while they are on in school, but the cost of such travel is highly variable. In general, official school-sanctioned travel is more expensive than the trips that MBAs organize themselves. Of the latter, junkets to developing countries are usually less expensive than 2 week treks to Japan or France, for instance. Leadership Ventures (trips that formally emphasize a leadership component) such as mountaineering, tall ship sailing, Antarctica trekking, etc.) are likely the most expensive of all but people seem to value these investments because they ostensibly build leadership skills and they can be included on a resume (jury is still out, though, on whether these trips add more value professionally than less formal travel).

Many MBAs see the two years that they have in school as one of the only times in their lives when they can take a trip to a country with their friends organized by somebody *from that country.* Most top-tier US MBAs stay in the US after graduation, where 2-3 weeks of vacation is standard and many overworked managers don't even take that time off even if it is officially available to them. At age 26-30, many full-time MBAs know that life commitments will start to get in the way of global travel down the road, and they want to take advantage of the time in business school when they aren't as "tied-down."

Many business schools don't have classes on Fridays, which make Thursday nights a common night for networking, drinks and going out to eat. Additionally, three-day trips, especially to places nearby, are a mainstay of b-school social life.

Although it is certainly possible to forge connections in business school without spending money, lots of great professional connections are made during seemingly casual networking opportunities.

Some people decide to focus purely on academics during their MBA, while others focus more on recruiting / socializing (these two are inextricably linked given the inherently social nature of recruiting). How much *YOU* decide to budget for social engagement depends on where you want to weight your focus.

My advice to you is to be *INTENTIONAL* about how you spend your money. Make sure that what you are spending your dining out / drinks dollars on has real professional utility or is something you really *WANT* to do purely for fun. Don't feel pressured into taking a trip just because your friend wants to organize it. And don't feel bad staying put for spring break if you don't find a trip that fit your budget or other objectives. Many schools offer on-campus modular classes during winter break at no additional cost, which can be a great way to get ahead of your studies and make the subsequent semester less academically intense. These modular classes can be a great way to network, too, since they happen at time that's inherently less busy than the hustle and hustle of the full-time semester.
GMAT Club Bot