Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:39 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 3804 [84]
Given Kudos: 182
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [42]
Given Kudos: 799
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [8]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [5]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A 5-liter jug contains 4 liters of a saltwater solution that is 15 per [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
As a person that is bad at math I did this:

Original mixture
Total = 40ml
Salt = 40 * 0.15 = 6ml
Water = 40 - 6 = 34ml

After spill
Total = 40 - 15 = 25
Salt = 6ml - (15 * 0.15) = 3.75ml

After refill
Total = 50ml
Salt = 3.75 (unchanged)

3.75/50 = 7.5% [A]

Let me know if I did this wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Re: A 5-liter jug contains 4 liters of a saltwater solution that is 15 per [#permalink]
GMATPrepNow wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
A 5-liter jug contains 4 liters of a saltwater solution that is 15 percent salt. If 1.5 liters of the solution spills out of the jug, and the jug is then filled to capacity with water, approximately what percent of the resulting solution in the jug is salt?

(A) \(7\frac{1}{2}\)%
(B) \(9\frac{3}{8}\)%
(C) \(10\frac{1}{2}\)%
(D) \(12\)%
(E) \(15\)%

Project PS Butler : Question #28

Subscribe to get Daily Email - Click Here | Subscribe via RSS - RSS

-----------ASIDE------------
IMPORTANT CONCEPT: If EQUAL VOLUMES of 2 solutions are combined, the concentration of the resulting mixture will be the AVERAGE of the 2 solutions.
Example: If 3 liters of a 10% alcohol solution are combined with 3 liters of a 30% alcohol solution, the resulting solution will be 20% alcohol.
Likewise, if 11 liters of 6% alcohol solution are combined with 11 liters of a 7% alcohol solution, the resulting solution will be 6.5% alcohol.
-------------------------------

Once we pour out 1.5 liters, we're left with 2.5 liters of 15% salt solution
Since the jug holds 5 liters, we then add 2.5 liters of water (aka a 0% salt solution)

Since we're combining EQUAL VOLUMES of 15% and 0% solutions, the salt content of the resulting solution will equal the average of 15% and 0%
(15 + 0)/2 = 7.5

So, the resulting solution will be 7.5% salt.

Answer: A

RELATED VIDEO FROM OUR COURSE

nice explanation Brent, :) but what if volumes of mixtures arent equal ? any advice is appreciated :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
GMATPrepNow wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:
A 5-liter jug contains 4 liters of a saltwater solution that is 15 percent salt. If 1.5 liters of the solution spills out of the jug, and the jug is then filled to capacity with water, approximately what percent of the resulting solution in the jug is salt?

(A) \(7\frac{1}{2}\)%
(B) \(9\frac{3}{8}\)%
(C) \(10\frac{1}{2}\)%
(D) \(12\)%
(E) \(15\)%

IMPORTANT CONCEPT: If EQUAL VOLUMES of 2 solutions are combined, the concentration of the resulting mixture will be the AVERAGE of the 2 solutions.
Example: If 3 liters of a 10% alcohol solution are combined with 3 liters of a 30% alcohol solution, the resulting solution will be 20% alcohol.
Likewise, if 11 liters of 6% alcohol solution are combined with 11 liters of a 7% alcohol solution, the resulting solution will be 6.5% alcohol.

Since the jug holds 5 liters, we then add 2.5 liters of water (aka a 0% salt solution)

Since we're combining EQUAL VOLUMES of 15% and 0% solutions, the salt content of the resulting solution will equal the average of 15% and 0%
(15 + 0)/2 = 7.5

hello Brent, GMATPrepNow many thanks for detailed explanation.

i have one question you write "Once we pour out 1.5 liters, we're left with 2.5 liters of 15% salt solution" But when we pour out 1.5 litres and we are left with 2.5 , shouldnt salt percentage reduce as well because you still write 15% :?

before poring out we had 4 litres of solution that is 15 % of salt, and after pouring out logically 15% of salt shoulb be reduced as well, no ? :?

thanks!
D
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 29940 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Top Contributor
dave13 wrote:
GMATPrepNow wrote:
HKD1710 wrote:

(A) \(7\frac{1}{2}\)%
(B) \(9\frac{3}{8}\)%
(C) \(10\frac{1}{2}\)%
(D) \(12\)%
(E) \(15\)%

(15 + 0)/2 = 7.5

hello Brent, GMATPrepNow many thanks for detailed explanation.

i have one question you write "Once we pour out 1.5 liters, we're left with 2.5 liters of 15% salt solution" But when we pour out 1.5 litres and we are left with 2.5 , shouldnt salt percentage reduce as well because you still write 15% :?

before poring out we had 4 litres of solution that is 15 % of salt, and after pouring out logically 15% of salt shoulb be reduced as well, no ? :?

thanks!
D

The salt is totally dissolved into the water.
So, no matter how much solution you examine, it will contain 15% salt.
So, 1 ml of solution will be 15% salt, 10 ml of solution will be 15% salt, etc.

Here's another example:
Let's say a beer is 5% alcohol.
If you take a sip of beer, the amount you drink will contain 5% alcohol, and the beer that's remaining in your glass is also 5% alcohol.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Brent
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 407 [0]
Given Kudos: 1013
GPA: 4
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi Experts, Bunuel, KarishmaB,

Can you please share your approach to this question? I usually find myself a bit lost in the details in Mixture questions like these. I would like to know your approach to this.

Thanks in advance! :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64938 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ChandlerBong wrote:

Can you please share your approach to this question? I usually find myself a bit lost in the details in Mixture questions like these. I would like to know your approach to this.

Imagine it to make it easier for yourself.

Say you have a 5 ltr jug with 4 ltr 15% salt solution. You remove 1.5 ltr out of it. So you will be left with 2.5 ltr 15% salt solution.
Since the jug has a capacity of 5 ltr, you can put it 2.5 ltr of water.

Essentially, you mixed 2.5 ltr of 15% salt solution with 2.5 ltr of water (0% salt solution)
Since you are mixing equal quantities of both, the weights will be the same so the average concentration will be the simple average i.e. average of 15% and 0% which is 7.5%.

Or you can use the formula: 1/1 = 0 - Avg/Avg - 15
Avg = 7.5

Answer (A)

Check out this video on mixtures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdBl9Hw0HBg
and this post: https://anaprep.com/arithmetic-mixtures/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
KarishmaB wrote:
ChandlerBong wrote:

Say you have a 5 ltr jug with 4 ltr 15% salt solution. You remove 1.5 ltr out of it. So you will be left with 2.5 ltr 15% salt solution.

Essentially, you mixed 2.5 ltr of 15% salt solution with 2.5 ltr of water (0% salt solution)
Since you are mixing equal quantities of both, the weights will be the same so the average concentration will be the simple average i.e. an average of 15% and 0% which is 7.5%.

Avg = 7.5

Answer (A)

Thanks, KarishmaB for such a clear explanation!

I had a small doubt, let's say instead of both the weights being 2.5 ltr, one is 2.5 ltr and the other is 5 ltr, how would we approach the question then?

Just wanted to strentghen the concept. :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64938 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ChandlerBong wrote:
KarishmaB wrote:
ChandlerBong wrote:

Since you are mixing equal quantities of both, the weights will be the same so the average concentration will be the simple average i.e. an average of 15% and 0% which is 7.5%.

Avg = 7.5

Answer (A)

Thanks, KarishmaB for such a clear explanation!

I had a small doubt, let's say instead of both the weights being 2.5 ltr, one is 2.5 ltr and the other is 5 ltr, how would we approach the question then?

Just wanted to strentghen the concept. :)

It doesn't matter what the actual weights are. We can use the formula or the scale in all cases. If 5 ltr of water were added to 2.5 ltr of 15% solution,

we would get 2.5/5 = (0% - Avg)/(Avg - 15%)
Avg = 5%

or on the scale, the distance between 0% to 15% will be divided in the ratio 1:2 because the weights are 5 and 2.5 i.e. a ratio of 2 : 1.

You should check out both the methods in this video: https://anaprep.com/arithmetic-weighted-averages/
They are quite helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks again for explaining so clearly KarishmaB! Will check out the methods! :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 6277 [2]
Given Kudos: 1646
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
HKD1710 wrote:

(A) \(7\frac{1}{2}\)%
(B) \(9\frac{3}{8}\)%
(C) \(10\frac{1}{2}\)%
(D) \(12\)%
(E) \(15\)%

The percentage of salt in the resulting mixture can be expressed as the weighted average of the percentages of salt in the components of the resulting mixture.

Component A:

4 – 1.5 = 2.5 liters [This is the amount that remains of the original solution.]

15% [This is the percentage of salt in the original solution.]

Component B:

5 – 2.5 = 2.5 liters [This is the amount of water used to fill the jug to capacity.]

0% [This is the percentage of salt in the added water. Water is just water and nothing else.]

So, the percentage of salt in the resulting solution is:

[2.5(15) + 2.5(0)]/5 = 2.5(3) = 7.5 => 7.5%

GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92947 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts